DS Smith Strengthens Now & Next Sustainability Strategy
Leading provider of sustainable packaging solutions DS Smith has raised the ambitions of its Now & Next Sustainability Strategy to accelerate the transition to a low-carbon, Circular Economy.
Partnering with its customers, DS Smith has already replaced 762m problem plastics with fibre-based alternatives since 2020, and created more than 30,000 circular-ready projects through its industry-leading Circular Design Metrics.
In tandem, and in line with its goals to decarbonise, this year DS Smith reduced CO2 emissions by 10 per cent (15 per cent compared to 2019), as well as achieving a 4 per cent reduction in water abstraction within paper mills in areas at risk of water stress. Since Now & Next launched, the business has met nine of its 26 targets, with an additional three targets tracking ahead of schedule.
Reinforcing these achievements to meet the challenges set by the changing world around us, the business has now raised its ambition with a set of focused targets, to accelerate progress. Created with independent experts, the new Now & Next commitments will prioritise circularity, accelerate the journey to Net Zero, and strengthen the business’ focus on people & communities, and nature.
Group Chief Executive, Miles Roberts, commented: “We have made good progress with our Now & Next Sustainability Strategy, but the world around us demands that we all do more. That is why we are taking action today to ensure our commitments deliver at pace in a rapidly changing world, and accelerate our transition to a low carbon, circular, economy.”
Driven by the DS Smith Purpose of Redefining Packaging for a Changing World, key developments to the Now & Next sustainability strategy and targets, are:
- By 2025, test up to 5 reuse pilots and continue to manufacture 100% recyclable and reusable packaging.
- By 2030, reduce Scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions by 46% compared to 2019/20.
- By 2027, encourage 100% of our strategic suppliers (representing 76% of purchased goods and services emissions) to set their own science-based targets.
- By 2050, reach Net Zero GHG emissions.
People & Communities
- By 2030, engage ten million (an increase from five million) people on the Circular Economy and circular lifestyles.
- By 2025, inclusive leadership workshops completed by all leadership teams across all sites.
- By 2030, improve gender diversity towards 40% women in senior leadership and set an aspiration of other protected characteristics.
- Strive to achieve Vision Zero – zero accidents, and ultimately, zero harm.
- By 2025, measure and improve biodiversity in our own forests and assess our dependencies on nature.
- Set targets to regenerate nature taking a science-based approach.
- By 2030, 10% reduction in water-withdrawal intensity at mills at risk of water stress compared to 2019.
Group Chief Executive, Miles Roberts, continued: “To address climate change, it is critical we adopt low carbon, renewable, energy sources. But we must also address how we make and use things in our everyday lives, by moving to the Circular Economy. Through our Circular Design Principles, we already act as the gateway to the circular economy for our customers, helping some of the world’s most recognisable FMCG brands meet their sustainability goals, alongside our own.”
Using its Circular Design Principles and Circular Design Metrics, DS Smith supports customers to design out waste and pollution and keep materials in use for longer, reducing demand for natural resources. Since their creation in 2019, DS Smith’s Circular Design Metrics have supported thousands of design projects. Around 3,000 solutions featuring DS Smith Circular Design Metrics are presented to customers every month, supporting their transition to the Circular Economy.
Notes to Editors
- The Now & Next strategy was launched in 2020, inspired by the business’ ongoing partnership with circularity leader, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation.
- Our Sustainability Report covering the period May 2022 - April 2023 and details the progress we have made in all of our packaging plants, paper mills and recycling depots as part of our Group-wide global Sustainability Strategy. The Basis of Preparation, available from our online ESG Reporting Hub, includes a detailed methodology for how our ESG reporting is prepared.
- Cementing its ongoing ambitions, the business has set an industry-leading commitment to meet a 1.5C science-based target to reduce emissions by 46% by 2030, and to meet Net Zero by 2050.
- DS Smith has significantly improved its external ESG ratings from MSCI, Sustainalytics, and S&P Global CDP, and achieved a Platinum EcoVadis Sustainability Rating, placing it in the top 1% of assessed companies.
Full detail on our refreshed Now & Next Sustainability Strategy can be found here.
Now & Next targets already met:
- 100% of our packaging is now recyclable or reusable
- 100% of our energy consumption is ISO50001 Certified
- We have already launched 100 biodiversity projects across Europe & North America
- 100% of our sites in areas of high water stress now have a water mitigation plan
- All our forests have forest management certification
- 100% of manufacturing sites are FSC certified
- 100% of the papers we use in manufacturing are recycled or chain of custody certified
- We have conducted a group human rights risk assessment and published our Human Rights Policy
- 100% of sites are engaged in community activities
Now & Next targets currently ahead of schedule:
- By 2025, remove 1 billion items of problem plastic
- By 2025, optimise fibre for individual supply chains in 100% of new packaging solutions
- By 2030, engage 5 million people in the circular economy and circular lifestyles
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Alipay Supports Over 100 Million Digital Torchbearers to Join the First-Ever Digital Cauldron Lighting for Asian Games24.9.2023 16:17:00 EEST | Press release
The Hangzhou Asian Games has begun with the evening opening ceremony on September 23. The opening ceremony combined Chinese traditions, culture and digital innovations at the Hangzhou Olympic Sports Center Stadium for a spectacular kickoff event. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230924810542/en/ Digital torchbearers joining to light the cauldron for the Hangzhou Asian Games (Photo: Business Wire) As the Official Prestige Partner and technology provider of Hangzhou Asian Games, Alipay has supported over 100 million digital torchbearers to join the first-ever digital cauldron lighting in Asian Games history during the ceremony. These digital torchbearers were combined as one digital torchbearer avatar to light the cauldron together with swimming Olympic champion Wang Shun. The Asian Games Digital Torchbearer Online Relay campaign was launched on June 15, 2023, the 100-day countdown to the Games. Participants can
Unitedprint.com collaborates with Pexels.com24.9.2023 11:00:00 EEST | Press release
The e-commerce technology company Unitedprint.com has announced several exciting innovations for its brands Easyprint.com and print24.com. On top of the launch of interactive 2D and 3D product preview visualisations, the company is expanding its offering through a partnership with Pexels.com, a Canva.com company, and is also making more than 12 million premium design templates available to its users. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230920567824/en/ Easyprint's FreeDesign tool offers over 3 million royalty-free stock photos and 12 million free design templates (Photo: Business Wire) Cooperation with Pexels.com In close collaboration with Pexels, a subsidiary of Canva.com, Easyprint is expanding its offering to include 3 million royalty-free stock images that users can access free of charge and without restriction for their individual projects. “This partnership will allow our customers to take their creativity
SLB Announces Third-Quarter 2023 Results Conference Call22.9.2023 20:00:00 EEST | Press release
SLB (NYSE:SLB) will hold a conference call on October 20, 2023 to discuss the results for the third quarter ending September 30, 2023. The conference call is scheduled to begin at 9:30 am US Eastern time and a press release regarding the results will be issued at 7:00 am US Eastern time. To access the conference call, listeners should contact the Conference Call Operator at +1 (844) 721-7241 within North America or +1 (409) 207-6955 outside of North America approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the call and the access code is 8858313. A webcast of the conference call will be broadcast simultaneously at www.slb.com/irwebcast on a listen-only basis. Listeners should log in 15 minutes prior to the start of the call to test their browsers and register for the webcast. Following the end of the conference call, a replay will be available at www.slb.com/irwebcast until November 20, 2023, and can be accessed by dialing +1 (866) 207-1041 within North America or +1 (402) 970-0847 outsid
Energy Dome's CO2 Battery™ to Revolutionize U.S. Energy Landscape With First Installation Slated for 202622.9.2023 18:45:00 EEST | Press release
A groundbreaking development in sustainable energy storage is on the horizon for Columbia County, Wisconsin, U.S., spearheaded by Alliant Energy in collaboration with Energy Dome and other key stakeholders. Alliant Energy has just announced its selection to receive a federal grant of up to approximately $30 million from the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations (OCED) for the pioneering Columbia Energy Storage Project, a proposed 200-megawatt hour energy storage system, based on Energy Dome’s signature technology: the CO2 Battery™. This visionary battery system, aptly named the “Columbia Energy Storage Project”, is poised to be a trailblazer in the United States, marking a pivotal stride towards a more sustainable, reliable, and cost-effective energy future. Claudio Spadacini, CEO of Energy Dome, declared: “I’m honored to be part of this remarkable journey alongside Alliant Energy. The Columbia Energy Storage Project marks the genesis of a new era, where the
Settlement Administrator Angeion Group Announces Proposed Settlement In U.S. Dollar LIBOR-Based Instrument Class Action22.9.2023 16:00:00 EEST | Press release
There are lawsuits impacting individuals and institutions that entered into over-the-counter financial derivative and non-derivative instruments directly with 17 banks and that received payments tied to U.S. Dollar LIBOR. A Settlement totaling $101 million has been reached with Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A. (“Rabobank”), Lloyds Banking Group plc, Lloyds Bank plc, HBOS plc, and Bank of Scotland plc (together, “Lloyds”), Royal Bank of Canada (“RBC”), and Portigon AG and Westdeutsche Immobilien Servicing AG (together “Portigon”). Earlier settlements totaling $680 million were reached with Barclays, Citibank, Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG, Norinchukin, and SocGen bringing the total settlement amount to $781 million. The remaining Non-Settling Defendants include Bank of America, Credit Suisse, JPMorgan Chase, Royal Bank of Scotland, and UBS. What does the Settlement provide? The Settlement will create a Settlement Fund totaling $101 million that will be used to pay eligible Class Members who submi
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom