Alexion Employees Volunteer Together to Enhance Their Local Communities during Second Annual Global Day of Service
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ALXN) announced that more than 1,300 employees are rallying together in support of community service initiatives focused on health, wellness, and education as part of the Company’s second annual Global Day of Service. Alexion has partnered with non-profit organizations in nearly 30 of the Company’s local communities across North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Australia to coordinate service projects that will have a positive impact on neighborhoods and people in need. Volunteers will beautify facilities, hold educational and training workshops, prepare meals and care packages, and much more.
“At Alexion, we are committed to enriching the communities where we live and work as we pursue our mission of developing and delivering life-changing therapies for patients with rare diseases,” said Ludwig Hantson, Chief Executive Officer of Alexion. “We are excited to build on the success and momentum of last year’s inaugural Global Day of Service with our second annual event that supports our company values and tackles some of the most pressing needs in our local neighborhoods.”
In 2016, Alexion employees provided more than 7,500 service hours to communities around the world during its first Global Day of Service. Activities included beautifying local schools, parks, and homeless shelters; preparing meals for families and individuals facing an illness; and leading activities for adults and children with special needs.
Alexion’s second annual Global Day of Service activities include:
- New Haven, CT: Transforming the Celentano Biotech, Health, and Medical Magnet School and Wallingford Emergency Shelter, a program of Columbus House, by building new furniture, painting murals, landscaping, and more. Volunteers will also pack meals for Rise Against Hunger and assemble kits for people spending their first night at a homeless shelter.
- Boston, MA: Volunteering at the Community Academy of Science and Health, where employees will coach students on career development, paint murals, and assemble furniture.
- Holden, MA: Working with the Be Like Brit Foundation, an organization dedicated to serving the children of Haiti, to organize and package items to be sent to an orphanage in Haiti.
- Smithfield, RI: Returning to Mary E. Fogarty Elementary School to beautify the interior and exterior of the school as well as coordinate a science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fair.
- Bogart, GA: Partnering with Extra Special People to work at a camp for children with developmental disabilities.
- Washington, DC: Partnering with Martha’s Table at the Joyful Food Market, a monthly community event designed to reduce hunger and increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Mexico City, Mexico: Waterproofing the roof of DAYA, a foster home that supports at-risk adolescent girls, and playing volleyball and planting a vegetable garden with the residents.
- Vaughan, Canada: Volunteering at the Yellow Brick House, a non-profit organization that offers shelter, counseling, and other services to women and children who are impacted by domestic violence.
- Zurich, Switzerland: Participating in a variety of activities including visiting the Zurich Zoo with children suffering from rare diseases in partnership with the Foundation for People with Rare Diseases (KMSK); playing bingo with the inhabitants of two retirement centers in Zurich (Alterszentrum Herzogenmühle and Sydefädeli); and partnering with Foundation St. Jakob to work with people with impairments in a local bakery and packaging facility.
- London, UK: Participating in a beautification project at Sweet Tree Farming for All, a facility for children and young adults with a variety of care and support needs.
- Birmingham, UK: Participating in arts and crafts and Christmas present wrapping at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
- Dublin, Ireland: Painting at Coolmine Therapeutic Centre, a rehabilitation center.
- Athlone, Ireland: Helping to transform the Midlands Simon Community homeless emergency accommodation.
- Madrid, Spain: Partnering with Grupo AMAS, an organization that supports and promotes the rights of people with intellectual disabilities, to participate in an improvisation workshop called Theater for Inclusion.
- Barcelona, Spain: Teaming up with Fundacio Finestrelles, an organization that supports individuals with intellectual disabilities, to improve the grounds and hold educational workshops.
- Belgium and The Netherlands: Maintaining indoor and outdoor facilities at Kampenhoeve de STER, an animal therapy center that serves children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities.
- Milan, Italy: Planting ginkgo biloba trees at a local park.
- Rome, Italy: Cleaning up a local park, maintaining benches, and planting.
- Munich, Germany: Participating in a variety of local volunteer projects, including furnishing and decorating schools, preparing and distributing meals, providing science and health education workshops, and assisting in a repair shop run by disabled individuals.
- Prague, Czech Republic: Partnering with the Hospital of the Sisters of Mercy of St. Charles Borromeo to prepare Christmas cakes that will be sold during fundraising events for the hospital.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Partnering with Dar al Ber Society, a humanitarian network, to collect food and other items for people in need.
- Shanghai, China: Participating in a charity run to raise funds to provide meals for students in rural and impoverished areas.
- Tokyo, Japan: Teaming up with Arakawa Clean Fund to take part in a river clean-up project; gardening and arranging a petting zoo for children at Keifuku Ikujikai Azabus Infants' Home; and hosting an after-school cooking class for local children with disabilities at the School Center Himawari Batake.
- Mumbai, India: Hosting a fun and educational event for children from underserved communities.
- Istanbul, Turkey: Hosting cooking and art workshops for Dusler Akademisi, an organization that provides cultural and artistic training free of charge for disabled and socially disadvantaged youth.
- Sao Paulo, Brazil: Painting and repairing a health center.
- Bogota, Colombia: Participating in beautification projects that include painting and cleaning at Pasquilla School, an under-served local school.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina: Providing support to Hogar Cura Brochero, an organization that offers services and asylum for the homeless.
- Frenchs Forest, Australia: Joining OzHarvest’s “Cooking for a Cause” cooking class to transform rescued food into restaurant-quality meals that are then delivered to local communities in need.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion is the global leader in complement inhibition and has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). In addition, Alexion has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). As the leader in complement biology for over 20 years, Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade, and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. This press release and further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Kim Diamond, 475-230-3775
Executive Director, Corporate Communications
Mandy Fahey, 475-230-3778
Director, Corporate Communications
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme tältä julkaisijalta, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Project Bronze: Sale of the Pradera European Retail Fund 2 Portfolio18.1.2018 02:38 | Tiedote
An affiliate of MCAP Global Finance (UK) LLP ("MCAP") has completed the acquisition of a portfolio of six shopping centres in Spain and Italy, totalling 90,000 sqm (the “Bronze Portfolio”). Terms of the transaction were not disclosed. Formerly owned by the Pradera European Retail Fund 2 (the “Fund”), managed by Pradera, the Bronze Portfolio includes Formia: Itaca Shopping Centre, a 23,000 sqm shopping centre fully let and anchored by a Panorama hypermarket, located approximately 90km northwest of Naples; and Viterbo: Tuscia Shopping Centre, a 17,000 sqm shopping centre fully let and anchored by Coop, Italy’s largest supermarket chain, located circa 80km northwest of Rome. The transaction provided an exit for the Fund’s unitholders. Pradera will continue to serve as asset manager of the Bronze Portfolio on behalf of MCAP. Accord Europe Limited served as the exclusive financial advisor to the Fund. MCAP was self-advised. ABOUT PRADERA Pradera is a market leading specialist fund and asset
CES Asia 2018 Call for Speaker Proposals Now Open18.1.2018 00:37 | Tiedote
The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) today announced that its Call for Speaker Proposals for CES Asia 2018 is now open. CES Asia seeks abstracts and speakers for the CES Asia conference program. Interested candidates, including subject matter experts from throughout Asia and across industries, have the opportunity to submit a conference proposal through February 14, 2018. Industry executives, futurists and visionaries in vehicle technology, financial tech, smart cities and other target technologies are encouraged to apply. Accepted proposals will be notified by April 2, 2018. Please review the full list of conference themes, submission guidelines and speaker overview before submitting. The CES Asia conference programming features over 30 conference sessions with more than 115 highly sought after industry experts from around the globe. CES Asia speakers present to an audience of high-level industry professionals, including 1,200 members of the global media. More than 40,000 people
STATS Announces Carl Mergele as Chief Executive Officer17.1.2018 20:04 | Tiedote
Today, STATS, the worldwide leader in sports data and intelligence, announced the hiring of seasoned software executive, Carl Mergele as Chief Executive Officer. Mergele has extensive experience leading and growing software companies, providing world class products and excellent customer service across a number of sectors. In November 2016, Mergele was a software executive of publicly traded NYSE-company Lexmark International, Inc. which was sold to a consortium of private equity investors for $3.6 billion, following a number of software acquisitions in the preceding four years. In addition to leading software companies as CEO, including Vista-owned companies, Mergele has served as a board member to nearly two-dozen corporate entities. Mergele will oversee the company’s next phase of growth, empowering STATS’ customers—the most innovative and successful sports teams, leagues, and brands—with the best data, intelligence and technology, giving them an edge over their competition. “I am t
Intersolar and Power2Drive Europe 2018: Solar Power Generates Mobility17.1.2018 18:40 | Tiedote
E-mobility is much more than just the clean mobility solution of the future. When electric vehicles are fueled by solar power, it also drives the deployment of photovoltaics forward. Intersolar Europe, the world’s leading exhibition for the solar industry, and Power2Drive Europe, the new exhibition for e-mobility and charging infrastructure, held June 20–22, 2018 in Munich, Germany under the umbrella of The smarter E Europe, will thus showcase the diverse prospects created for the environment by the combination of PV and e-mobility. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180117005988/en/ Solar Power generates mobility (Photo: Solar Promotion GmbH) Electric vehicles can be driven and charging stations can be fed with electricity from PV systems, making e-mobility a driver of the PV market. Ideally, electric vehicles are charged with solar power directly from the owner’s roof. For example, a PV system with a capacity of
Ascend Performance Materials Announces Price Increase for Nylon 6,6 Polymers, Compounds and Fibers17.1.2018 18:22 | Tiedote
Ascend Performance Materials announced today a price increase for its nylon 6,6 polymers, compounds and fibers due to escalating raw material costs. The price increase takes effect Feb. 1, 2018, and includes the following price changes: Materials Geography Price Increase Terms Nylon 6,6 polymers, compounds and fibers North America $0.10/lb. As contracts allow Non-contract business – price determined on an order-by-order basis Nylon 6,6 polymers, compounds and fibers Europe €0.20/kg. As contracts allow Non-contract business – price determined on an order-by-order basis Nylon 6,6 polymers, compounds and fibers Asia $0.22/kg. As contracts allow Non-contract business – price determined on an order-by-order basis Customers should contact their local sales representative for additional information. About Ascend Performance Materials Ascend Performance Materials is a global premium provider of high-quality plastics, fibers and chemicals and is the world’s largest integrated producer of PA66 r
Mavenir Announces Virtualized Media Breakout Controller, Bringing 5G Edge Architectures to Legacy Networks17.1.2018 17:00 | Tiedote
Mavenir, focused on transforming mobile network economics for Communications Service Providers, today announced its virtualized Media Breakout Controller (vMBC), a single white box routing platform that enables carriers to host virtual Routing, Firewall, and User plane data offload. Today’s networks, whether 3G, 4G or 5G, are under pressure to provide increased bandwidth in support of LTE and its frequency combinations, and reduce latency for network interaction, resulting in a continual need to increase capacity for traffic transported through the core of the network. Multi-Access Edge Computing standardization (MEC) is trying to resolve some of these issues by placing compute functionality at the edge but it is still mostly controlled from the core, based on conventional centralized architectures. The ability to scale network functionality using virtual elements and COTS HW platforms allows network functionality to be deployed at any location. Mavenir’s innovative solution offers the
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme