Alexion Employees Volunteer Together to Enhance Their Local Communities during Second Annual Global Day of Service
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ALXN) announced that more than 1,300 employees are rallying together in support of community service initiatives focused on health, wellness, and education as part of the Company’s second annual Global Day of Service. Alexion has partnered with non-profit organizations in nearly 30 of the Company’s local communities across North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Australia to coordinate service projects that will have a positive impact on neighborhoods and people in need. Volunteers will beautify facilities, hold educational and training workshops, prepare meals and care packages, and much more.
“At Alexion, we are committed to enriching the communities where we live and work as we pursue our mission of developing and delivering life-changing therapies for patients with rare diseases,” said Ludwig Hantson, Chief Executive Officer of Alexion. “We are excited to build on the success and momentum of last year’s inaugural Global Day of Service with our second annual event that supports our company values and tackles some of the most pressing needs in our local neighborhoods.”
In 2016, Alexion employees provided more than 7,500 service hours to communities around the world during its first Global Day of Service. Activities included beautifying local schools, parks, and homeless shelters; preparing meals for families and individuals facing an illness; and leading activities for adults and children with special needs.
Alexion’s second annual Global Day of Service activities include:
- New Haven, CT: Transforming the Celentano Biotech, Health, and Medical Magnet School and Wallingford Emergency Shelter, a program of Columbus House, by building new furniture, painting murals, landscaping, and more. Volunteers will also pack meals for Rise Against Hunger and assemble kits for people spending their first night at a homeless shelter.
- Boston, MA: Volunteering at the Community Academy of Science and Health, where employees will coach students on career development, paint murals, and assemble furniture.
- Holden, MA: Working with the Be Like Brit Foundation, an organization dedicated to serving the children of Haiti, to organize and package items to be sent to an orphanage in Haiti.
- Smithfield, RI: Returning to Mary E. Fogarty Elementary School to beautify the interior and exterior of the school as well as coordinate a science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fair.
- Bogart, GA: Partnering with Extra Special People to work at a camp for children with developmental disabilities.
- Washington, DC: Partnering with Martha’s Table at the Joyful Food Market, a monthly community event designed to reduce hunger and increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Mexico City, Mexico: Waterproofing the roof of DAYA, a foster home that supports at-risk adolescent girls, and playing volleyball and planting a vegetable garden with the residents.
- Vaughan, Canada: Volunteering at the Yellow Brick House, a non-profit organization that offers shelter, counseling, and other services to women and children who are impacted by domestic violence.
- Zurich, Switzerland: Participating in a variety of activities including visiting the Zurich Zoo with children suffering from rare diseases in partnership with the Foundation for People with Rare Diseases (KMSK); playing bingo with the inhabitants of two retirement centers in Zurich (Alterszentrum Herzogenmühle and Sydefädeli); and partnering with Foundation St. Jakob to work with people with impairments in a local bakery and packaging facility.
- London, UK: Participating in a beautification project at Sweet Tree Farming for All, a facility for children and young adults with a variety of care and support needs.
- Birmingham, UK: Participating in arts and crafts and Christmas present wrapping at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
- Dublin, Ireland: Painting at Coolmine Therapeutic Centre, a rehabilitation center.
- Athlone, Ireland: Helping to transform the Midlands Simon Community homeless emergency accommodation.
- Madrid, Spain: Partnering with Grupo AMAS, an organization that supports and promotes the rights of people with intellectual disabilities, to participate in an improvisation workshop called Theater for Inclusion.
- Barcelona, Spain: Teaming up with Fundacio Finestrelles, an organization that supports individuals with intellectual disabilities, to improve the grounds and hold educational workshops.
- Belgium and The Netherlands: Maintaining indoor and outdoor facilities at Kampenhoeve de STER, an animal therapy center that serves children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities.
- Milan, Italy: Planting ginkgo biloba trees at a local park.
- Rome, Italy: Cleaning up a local park, maintaining benches, and planting.
- Munich, Germany: Participating in a variety of local volunteer projects, including furnishing and decorating schools, preparing and distributing meals, providing science and health education workshops, and assisting in a repair shop run by disabled individuals.
- Prague, Czech Republic: Partnering with the Hospital of the Sisters of Mercy of St. Charles Borromeo to prepare Christmas cakes that will be sold during fundraising events for the hospital.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Partnering with Dar al Ber Society, a humanitarian network, to collect food and other items for people in need.
- Shanghai, China: Participating in a charity run to raise funds to provide meals for students in rural and impoverished areas.
- Tokyo, Japan: Teaming up with Arakawa Clean Fund to take part in a river clean-up project; gardening and arranging a petting zoo for children at Keifuku Ikujikai Azabus Infants' Home; and hosting an after-school cooking class for local children with disabilities at the School Center Himawari Batake.
- Mumbai, India: Hosting a fun and educational event for children from underserved communities.
- Istanbul, Turkey: Hosting cooking and art workshops for Dusler Akademisi, an organization that provides cultural and artistic training free of charge for disabled and socially disadvantaged youth.
- Sao Paulo, Brazil: Painting and repairing a health center.
- Bogota, Colombia: Participating in beautification projects that include painting and cleaning at Pasquilla School, an under-served local school.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina: Providing support to Hogar Cura Brochero, an organization that offers services and asylum for the homeless.
- Frenchs Forest, Australia: Joining OzHarvest’s “Cooking for a Cause” cooking class to transform rescued food into restaurant-quality meals that are then delivered to local communities in need.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion is the global leader in complement inhibition and has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). In addition, Alexion has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). As the leader in complement biology for over 20 years, Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade, and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. This press release and further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Kim Diamond, 475-230-3775
Executive Director, Corporate Communications
Mandy Fahey, 475-230-3778
Director, Corporate Communications
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme tältä julkaisijalta, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
The Indian Detective, Starring Russell Peters, Premieres Tuesday, December 19, 2017 on Netflix Worldwide20.11.2017 19:00 | Tiedote
Full release here. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171120005203/en/ (Photo: Business Wire) Following today’s announcement by Netflix, THE INDIAN DETECTIVE , a four-part comedy-drama series starring international comedy sensation Russell Peters, award-winning actor Anupam Kher (The Big Sick, Silver Linings Playbook), the iconic William Shatner (Star Trek), Christina Cole (Suits, Casino Royale), Hamza Haq (mother!, Bon Cop, Bad Cop 2), Akshay Kumar (Star Wars Ep VIII), Meren Reddy (Madiba, Homeland) and Mishqah Parthiephal (Keeping Up with the Kandasamys, Snake Park), will premiere on December 19, 2017 on Netflix worldwide, following an initial run on CTV Canada in November.
Andersen Global Expands Presence in Italy with New Location in Venice-Mestre, on the Venetian Mainland20.11.2017 17:30 | Tiedote
Andersen Global is proud to announce a new presence in Venice-Mestre, on the Venetian mainland in Italy through the expansion of Italian member firm, Andersen Tax & Legal. In addition, the Milan office will relocate at the end of November. The new office in Mestre and new location in Milan have been established to better serve the growing client base in Italy. Andersen Tax & Legal now has six locations in Italy: Milan, Brescia, Rome, Venice, Mestre, and Monza. Andrea De Vecchi, Office Managing Partner of Andersen Tax & Legal in Italy, and Regional Managing Partner in Europe shared, “Our new location in Venice-Mestre and expanded presence in Milan allow us to better serve our clients and continue to build our capabilities within the region. Through this expansion, we are able to reach new markets and also improve the quality of life for our employees.” Venice-Mestre is a sign
NexPlayer HTML5 Player Fully Compatible with Conviva across All Browsers and Devices20.11.2017 17:00 | Tiedote
NexStreaming, the provider of NexPlayer SDK, the market leader player SDK for OTT apps, announced today that the NexPlayer HTML5 player is fully compatible with Conviva Video AI Platform. This pre-integrated solution brings great value to video services: from now on, they will be able to enable the highest quality HLS & DASH live streaming across all browsers and devices with NexPlayer, and ensure an outstanding user experience with accurate analytics about the quality of the video experience thanks to Conviva. In this technology integration, NexPlayer HTML5 is fully optimized with Conviva’s QoE analytics. NexPlayer sends information regarding the use of the HTML5 based OTT service, including when the user pauses the video or the video is buffering as well as information about the frame-rate. Conviva measures and analyzes this information so that video service providers and publishers
AGCO’s Innovation Rewarded with Prestigious Awards at Agritechnica 201720.11.2017 17:00 | Tiedote
AGCO, Your Agriculture Company, (NYSE:AGCO), a worldwide manufacturer and distributor of agricultural equipment and solutions, achieved remarkable success with 17 major awards at the prestigious Agritechnica 2017 event in Hannover, Germany. As a result of the votes cast by an independent expert committee, AGCO was once again one of the most successful manufacturers at Agritechnica 2017 by way of the number of innovation awards received. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171120005614/en/ The new Fendt Track Tractor 943 Vario MT won the treasured award "Machine of the Year 2018" in the Category XXL Tractors (Photo: Business Wire) “Winning these significant awards is a testament to our continued commitment to deliver high-tech solutions for farmers feeding the world,” said Martin Richenhagen
Leading Broker ActivTrades Wins Le Fonti Forex Broker of the Year Award for the Second Time20.11.2017 16:30 | Tiedote
ActivTrades, one of the world’s leading online Forex Brokers, has won the Le Fonti Forex Broker of the Year Award for the second year running. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171120005576/en/ ActivTrades was awarded at the Le Fonti Awards (Photo: Business Wire) A UK-regulated firm with offices in Europe and the Middle East, ActivTrades was selected as the winner by the editorial staff of over 120 journalists at Le Fonti, the international and independent media company and research centre. Le Fonti credited the broker for “aiming to maximise its clients’ trading through a unique mix of superior value proposition, diverse product offering and stellar customer service”. Le Fonti’s judges added that ActivTrades offers “some of the tightest spreads in the industry” a
European Commission Extends License for Janssen’s ZYTIGA® Plus Prednisone / Prednisolone to Include Earlier Stage Prostate Cancer Patients20.11.2017 16:30 | Tiedote
Janssen-Cilag International NV (Janssen) today announced that the European Commission (EC) has granted approval to broaden the existing marketing authorisation for ZYTIGA® (abiraterone acetate) plus prednisone / prednisolone to include an earlier stage of metastatic prostate cancer than its current indications. Abiraterone acetate plus prednisone / prednisolone can now be used for the treatment of newly-diagnosed high-risk metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer (mHSPC) in adult men in combination with androgen deprivation therapy (ADT).1 “Prostate cancer is the most common form of cancer in men throughout Europe and today’s decision helps to fill a critical medical need for these patients. We hope to significantly improve the lives of many men across Europe living with this disease and the approval of this treatment in an earlier stage of prostate cancer helps address this,”
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme