Alexion Employees Volunteer Together to Enhance Their Local Communities during Second Annual Global Day of Service
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ALXN) announced that more than 1,300 employees are rallying together in support of community service initiatives focused on health, wellness, and education as part of the Company’s second annual Global Day of Service. Alexion has partnered with non-profit organizations in nearly 30 of the Company’s local communities across North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Australia to coordinate service projects that will have a positive impact on neighborhoods and people in need. Volunteers will beautify facilities, hold educational and training workshops, prepare meals and care packages, and much more.
“At Alexion, we are committed to enriching the communities where we live and work as we pursue our mission of developing and delivering life-changing therapies for patients with rare diseases,” said Ludwig Hantson, Chief Executive Officer of Alexion. “We are excited to build on the success and momentum of last year’s inaugural Global Day of Service with our second annual event that supports our company values and tackles some of the most pressing needs in our local neighborhoods.”
In 2016, Alexion employees provided more than 7,500 service hours to communities around the world during its first Global Day of Service. Activities included beautifying local schools, parks, and homeless shelters; preparing meals for families and individuals facing an illness; and leading activities for adults and children with special needs.
Alexion’s second annual Global Day of Service activities include:
- New Haven, CT: Transforming the Celentano Biotech, Health, and Medical Magnet School and Wallingford Emergency Shelter, a program of Columbus House, by building new furniture, painting murals, landscaping, and more. Volunteers will also pack meals for Rise Against Hunger and assemble kits for people spending their first night at a homeless shelter.
- Boston, MA: Volunteering at the Community Academy of Science and Health, where employees will coach students on career development, paint murals, and assemble furniture.
- Holden, MA: Working with the Be Like Brit Foundation, an organization dedicated to serving the children of Haiti, to organize and package items to be sent to an orphanage in Haiti.
- Smithfield, RI: Returning to Mary E. Fogarty Elementary School to beautify the interior and exterior of the school as well as coordinate a science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fair.
- Bogart, GA: Partnering with Extra Special People to work at a camp for children with developmental disabilities.
- Washington, DC: Partnering with Martha’s Table at the Joyful Food Market, a monthly community event designed to reduce hunger and increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Mexico City, Mexico: Waterproofing the roof of DAYA, a foster home that supports at-risk adolescent girls, and playing volleyball and planting a vegetable garden with the residents.
- Vaughan, Canada: Volunteering at the Yellow Brick House, a non-profit organization that offers shelter, counseling, and other services to women and children who are impacted by domestic violence.
- Zurich, Switzerland: Participating in a variety of activities including visiting the Zurich Zoo with children suffering from rare diseases in partnership with the Foundation for People with Rare Diseases (KMSK); playing bingo with the inhabitants of two retirement centers in Zurich (Alterszentrum Herzogenmühle and Sydefädeli); and partnering with Foundation St. Jakob to work with people with impairments in a local bakery and packaging facility.
- London, UK: Participating in a beautification project at Sweet Tree Farming for All, a facility for children and young adults with a variety of care and support needs.
- Birmingham, UK: Participating in arts and crafts and Christmas present wrapping at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
- Dublin, Ireland: Painting at Coolmine Therapeutic Centre, a rehabilitation center.
- Athlone, Ireland: Helping to transform the Midlands Simon Community homeless emergency accommodation.
- Madrid, Spain: Partnering with Grupo AMAS, an organization that supports and promotes the rights of people with intellectual disabilities, to participate in an improvisation workshop called Theater for Inclusion.
- Barcelona, Spain: Teaming up with Fundacio Finestrelles, an organization that supports individuals with intellectual disabilities, to improve the grounds and hold educational workshops.
- Belgium and The Netherlands: Maintaining indoor and outdoor facilities at Kampenhoeve de STER, an animal therapy center that serves children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities.
- Milan, Italy: Planting ginkgo biloba trees at a local park.
- Rome, Italy: Cleaning up a local park, maintaining benches, and planting.
- Munich, Germany: Participating in a variety of local volunteer projects, including furnishing and decorating schools, preparing and distributing meals, providing science and health education workshops, and assisting in a repair shop run by disabled individuals.
- Prague, Czech Republic: Partnering with the Hospital of the Sisters of Mercy of St. Charles Borromeo to prepare Christmas cakes that will be sold during fundraising events for the hospital.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Partnering with Dar al Ber Society, a humanitarian network, to collect food and other items for people in need.
- Shanghai, China: Participating in a charity run to raise funds to provide meals for students in rural and impoverished areas.
- Tokyo, Japan: Teaming up with Arakawa Clean Fund to take part in a river clean-up project; gardening and arranging a petting zoo for children at Keifuku Ikujikai Azabus Infants' Home; and hosting an after-school cooking class for local children with disabilities at the School Center Himawari Batake.
- Mumbai, India: Hosting a fun and educational event for children from underserved communities.
- Istanbul, Turkey: Hosting cooking and art workshops for Dusler Akademisi, an organization that provides cultural and artistic training free of charge for disabled and socially disadvantaged youth.
- Sao Paulo, Brazil: Painting and repairing a health center.
- Bogota, Colombia: Participating in beautification projects that include painting and cleaning at Pasquilla School, an under-served local school.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina: Providing support to Hogar Cura Brochero, an organization that offers services and asylum for the homeless.
- Frenchs Forest, Australia: Joining OzHarvest’s “Cooking for a Cause” cooking class to transform rescued food into restaurant-quality meals that are then delivered to local communities in need.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion is the global leader in complement inhibition and has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). In addition, Alexion has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). As the leader in complement biology for over 20 years, Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade, and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. This press release and further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Kim Diamond, 475-230-3775
Executive Director, Corporate Communications
Mandy Fahey, 475-230-3778
Director, Corporate Communications
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista ensimmäisten joukossa? Kun tilaat mediatiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi välittömästi julkaisuhetkellä. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
New Guidance From ADA and EASD Recommends Use of Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter-2 (SGLT2) Inhibitors and Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 (GLP-1) Receptor Agonists for Patients with Type 2 Diabetes16.10.2018 16:15 | Tiedote
As the European distributor of INVOKANA ® (canagliflozin) and VOKANAMET ® (canagliflozin and metformin) Mundipharma welcomes the news that SGLT2i’s, including canagliflozin, have now been included as an important treatment option in the newly published 2018 ADA/EASD Consensus Report in the early management of T2DM patients with established ASCVD, HF, CKD and also in patients without cardiovascular disease (CVD) especially where there is a compelling need to minimize weight gain or promote weight loss or a need to minimize the risk of hypoglycaemia. The new guidance was co-published in Diabetologia, the journal of EASD, and Diabetes Care, the journal of the ADA, during the annual meeting of EASD in Berlin, Germany on October 5.1 Updates to the guidance took into consideration recent evidence from large CV outcome trials (CVOTs), which included the CANVAS programme, the largest completed and published CV outcomes trial to date for an SGLT2i, which has shown that canagliflozin reduces the
Brightree Launches First Patient App for HME16.10.2018 16:05 | Tiedote
Brightree®, the leading provider of cloud-based software to help post-acute care companies improve business performance and patient outcomes, announced today from Medtrade the release of its new Patient Hub to personalize the patient experience and increase revenue for home medical equipment (HME) providers. Patient Hub is a patient engagement app that automates and simplifies how HME providers connect with their patients. It eliminates the need for multiple web portals and consolidates all patient interactions into one secure platform. By improving ease of engagement and automation, Patient Hub empowers care, frees up resources and creates opportunities to accelerate cash flow. The Patient Hub app allows providers to automate simple, repetitive processes such as sending out appointment reminders and requests for insurance updates, or delivering order status and tracking updates. Patients can initiate and complete tasks as well, including updating account information, reordering suppli
KYMCO Announces Entry Into India With Ionex16.10.2018 15:40 | Tiedote
KYMCO announces its official entry into India with its game-changing Ionex electric scooter total solution. In partnership with Twenty Two Motors, an Indian company that focuses on developing advanced connected electric vehicles, KYMCO is set to revolutionize the two-wheeler sector in India by bringing the new era of electric scooters and building the open energy platforms long awaited by Indian customers. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181016005636/en/ Allen Ko, Chairman, KYMCO (Photo: Business Wire) India is the largest two-wheeler market in the world. The Indian government is actively promoting green movement through policies that encourage the use of electric vehicles as well as the establishment of EV infrastructure. The latest ‘National E-Mobility Programme’ aims to shift one third of petrol and diesel vehicles to electric by 2030. The government has a strong motivation for “go electric, go green” revol
Fujitsu to Demonstrate New “Super-Slim” Washable RFID Linen Tags at the EXPOdetergo 18th International Exhibition in Milan, Italy16.10.2018 15:00 | Tiedote
Fujitsu Frontech North America Inc., a leader in innovative technology and front-end solutions, has announced today that Fujitsu has developed a new line of washable UHF RFID tags only 7 millimeters wide, 30% smaller than current tags, allowing them to be more easily inserted into the seams of washable items. Fujitsu will debut the new “super-slim” tags, as well as their WT-A533 Linen tags and WT-A533L Fashion tags, at the EXPOdetergo 18th International Exhibition, Hall 1 booth # V10, on October 19-22, 2018, at the Fiera Milano Convention Center, Milan, Italy. The Fujitsu “super-slim” washable RFID Linen tags are targeted for availability in the first quarter of 2019. “Fujitsu has been creating RFID solutions for over 20 years. Our engineering and design teams possess sophisticated engineering, design and antenna optimization intellectual property,” says Michi Sugawara, President and CEO of Fujitsu Frontech North America Inc. “By combining this know-how plus our skills in high-volume,
Quotient Sciences Constructs State-of-the-Art Early-Phase Formulation and Manufacturing Facility in U.S.16.10.2018 15:00 | Tiedote
Quotient Sciences, a leading drug development services organization, announces a significant expansion to its operations in the U.S. with the opening of a state-of-the-art, 45,000-square-foot facility located near Philadelphia, in Garnet Valley, Pa. The $15 million investment will create a center of excellence for early-phase formulation development and clinical trial manufacturing. The Garnet Valley site will focus on developing small molecule oral drug products, supporting development programs from the preclinical stage through to clinical proof-of-concept. Seamless scale-up to late-phase manufacturing and commercial product supply will continue at Quotient’s nearby Chelsea Parkway facility. “Our new facility was built in response to increasing customer demand for our early-phase formulation development and clinical trial manufacturing services,” said Mark Egerton, Ph.D., CEO of Quotient Sciences. “The site was specifically designed to optimize our ability to work with highly potent
PotNetwork Holdings, Inc. Releases PCAOB Fully Audited and Reviewed Financial Statements under Its Registration as an SEC Reporting Company16.10.2018 15:00 | Tiedote
PotNetwork Holdings, Inc. (OTC Pink:POTN) has successfully filed its Form 10 registration statement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), which included independent third party PCAOB (“Public Company Accounting Oversight Board”) auditor certification of its financial performance for all of 2017 and verification of its financial results through the first 6 months of 2018. Going forward, all such financial information will be PCAOB auditor verified. Through submission of the filing, the Company has voluntarily become subject to the full disclosure requirements of the SEC for reporting companies, and the Company must have each quarter’s fiscal performance PCAOB auditor reviewed and its year-end statements fully audited by a PCAOB member firm. Now as a reporting company, PotNetwork Holdings, Inc. qualifies for uplisting to the OTCQB market tier. The PCAOB sets the auditing standards for its member firms, and performs inspections of member firm audits of public companies
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme