Bleisure Travelers are Hungry for Sunshine, Sightseeing, and Cuisine
New insights released today by Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, reveal that domestic and international bleisure travel is booming, and business travelers are invested in making the most of their time away from home. The findings, from a multi-national study commissioned by Expedia Group Media Solutions and conducted by Luth Research, spotlight the behaviors, influences, resources, and preferences of American, British, Chinese, German, and Indian bleisure travelers—or business travelers who extend their trip for leisure.
Unveiled today at Phocuswright Europe, Unpacking Bleisure Traveler Trends shows that on average, across the five countries, bleisure travelers take more than six business trips per year, and more than 60 percent of business trips during the last year were extended for leisure purposes. In the U.S., bleisure travel conversion is consistent with the multi-national average of 60 percent, revealing a nearly 40 percent increase in American bleisure travel since 20161.
On average, 72 percent of bleisure travelers said there are destinations they have visited or will visit in the future for business that they would like to extend for bleisure, but what makes a destination appealing for bleisure travel? Fifty-six percent said they are more likely to consider a bleisure trip in a destination with great food and restaurants, closely followed by approximately 50 percent influenced by beaches, weather, nature, historical monuments or sightseeing. This further validates the importance of experiences and activities for all travelers, and illustrates an opportunity for marketers to attract bleisure travelers from around the world.
“The study provides a deeper look at the influences and motivations of the growing and valuable bleisure audience, and the actionable insights will empower marketers to strategically target and convert these travelers within the condensed research and booking window,” said Andrew van der Feltz, Senior Director, EMEA & APAC for Expedia Group Media Solutions. “By showcasing unique experiences and activities, which are influential factors during the decision-making process, every destination, hotel, restaurant, attraction, airline, and more, can entice business travelers to extend their trip for leisure.”
Converting to Bleisure
- Business trips lasting 2-3 nights are most likely to result in bleisure trips (50 percent), as are trips where the business destination is far away, or more than 400 miles from home (49 percent)
- Leading factors that influence bleisure travel decisions include traveling to a destination with great entertainment (48 percent) and visiting an iconic or bucket list destination (43 percent); easy-to-navigate destinations, proximity to the weekend and additional personal costs required to extend the trip for leisure are also influential factors
Bleisure Research & Booking Resources
- Approximately 80 percent of bleisure travelers spend 1-5 hours on research during both the inspiration and planning phases, which is more condensed than more traditional leisure booking windows
- Before deciding to bleisure, 68 percent of travelers conduct research using a search engine, 47 percent use travel-related websites – including OTAs, airline and hotel sites, and review sites – and 44 percent use destination websites
- Most bleisure travelers personally research and book accommodations (61 percent), airfare (42 percent) and dining (38 percent) for the leisure portion of their trip
Willingness to Travel for Bleisure
- Two-thirds of past bleisure trips were in the same city as the business trip, but more than 80 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel from the business destination for leisure
- On domestic and international trips, more than 50 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel 1-2 hours via car from the business destination for the leisure portion of their trip, and more than 28 percent would travel 1-2 hours via plane
- When traveling domestically between the business and leisure destinations, 38 percent of bleisure travelers are unwilling to travel via bus and 25 percent are unwilling to travel via plane
Bleisure Budgets & Payment Preferences
- Compared to a typical vacation, 57 percent of bleisure travelers spend the same amount of money or more on a bleisure trip, and more than 75 percent save money specifically for bleisure travel
- When on a bleisure trip, credit cards are the leading preferred payment method (69 percent), followed by cash (47 percent) and debit or ATM cards (44 percent)
- More than two-thirds of bleisure spend is allocated to hotel, airfare and dining for the leisure portion of the trip
Key Takeaways for Marketers
- Bleisure Travel is Booming: Sixty percent of business trips convert to bleisure, and with travelers taking more than six business trips per year, on average, there’s a profound opportunity to reach and entice this valuable audience.
- Bleisure Knows No Boundaries: There is nearly equal likelihood of bleisure travel for both domestic and international business trips, and travelers are willing to travel away from the business destination for leisure.
- Destination To-Do’s: With nearly 70 percent of business trips being for conferences, there is an opportunity for destinations to encourage extending for leisure by highlighting activities and experiences to drive repeat visitation.
- Condensed Path to Purchase: Most bleisure travelers spend less time on research than they would on a leisure trip, so marketers have a shorter window to strategically target and influence behavior and purchases with call to action messaging.
- In Market Targeting: Bleisure travelers may not book everything in advance, highlighting opportunities for marketers to reach and convert travelers in-trip – especially for ancillary products like dining, tours and activities, entertainment and transportation.
For more data and actionable insights that marketers can leverage to reach the growing bleisure audience, and to view the full multi-national study, please visit: bit.ly/bleisure-trends. Check out our blog and connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more travel trends and insights, and stay tuned for additional regional and generational bleisure research throughout the year.
About Expedia Group Media Solutions
Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, offers industry expertise and digital marketing solutions that allow brands to reach, engage and influence its qualified audience of travelers around the world. Through its vast network of leading travel brands and global points of sale, Expedia Group Media Solutions provides marketing partners with proprietary data-driven insights about traveler behaviors during every stage of the purchase journey, along with dynamic advertising solutions, to deliver strategic campaigns and measurable results. For more information, visit www.advertising.expedia.com.
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2018 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
1 Discover the Untapped Mind of a Bleisure Traveler, Expedia Group Media Solutions, 2016
For Expedia Media Solutions
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Boston Capital Announces Closing of Boston Capital Income & Value U.S. Apartment Fund17.7.2018 17:00 | Tiedote
Boston Capital, the third largest owner of apartments in the U.S. with over $19.6 billion invested, is pleased to announce the final investor closing of Boston Capital Income and Value U.S. Apartment Fund (“BCIV”). BCIV, a discretionary multi-investor Luxembourg based fund vehicle, includes financial institutions, insurance companies, pensions, and family offices among its investors and will acquire over $350 million in apartment properties throughout the U.S. “We are very pleased to close BCIV, the latest in a succession of institutional investment vehicles through Boston Capital’s conventional apartment investment arm, Boston Capital Real Estate Partners (“BCRE”),” said Jeff Goldstein, COO and Director of Real Estate at Boston Capital. The Fund generates high current dividends and capital growth by acquiring and renovating Class B apartment properties located in major and secondary U.S. markets and by targeting a renovated rental price point well below new construction rates, which a
Amobee Wins Auction Process to Acquire Videology Assets17.7.2018 16:13 | Tiedote
Singtel subsidiary Amobee, a leading global digital marketing technology company serving brands and agencies, today announced that it has emerged as the winner in the court supervised auction to acquire certain assets from Videology, a software provider for advanced TV and video advertising, for purchase price of approximately US$101 million1. The purchase price is subject to adjustments for accounts receivable at closing, estimated to be approximately US$20.9 million. The acquisition, following Videology’s voluntary Chapter 11 restructuring proceedings, includes Videology’s technology platform, intellectual property and certain other assets of estimated net book value of US$5.3 million2. Over the past decade, Videology has emerged as a leading provider of software that empowers advertisers and publishers to use data to optimize campaigns and spend across digital platforms and television. The addition of Videology’s capabilities will be a further boost to Amobee’s omni-channel platform
JPMorgan Chase Bank launches offering of cash-settled exchangeable bonds into Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China Limited due 202017.7.2018 15:00 | Tiedote
NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION IN OR INTO THE UNITED STATES OR TO, OR FOR THE ACCOUNT OR BENEFIT OF, U.S. PERSONS (AS DEFINED IN REGULATION S UNDER THE U.S. SECURITIES ACT OF 1933) OR IN OR INTO JAPAN, THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA, SWITZERLAND OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION IN WHICH SUCH DISTRIBUTION WOULD BE PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW. JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. (the “Issuer”) today announces the launch of an offering of cash-settled exchangeable bonds due 2020 (the “Bonds”) in aggregate principal amount of up to approximately USD 350 million. The Bonds are referable to H-shares (the “Shares”) of Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China Limited (the “Company”). Exchange rights in respect of the Bonds will be cash-settled only. The Issuer is rated A+ (Stable outlook) by Standard & Poor’s, Aa3 (Stable outlook) by Moody’s and AA (Stable outlook) by Fitch. The Bonds will be issued in principal amounts of USD 200,000 and integral multiples of USD 100,000 in excess thereof and will not bear interest.
Lenovo Leaps Forward with Next-Generation ThinkAgile Composable Cloud Platform17.7.2018 15:00 | Tiedote
Lenovo Data Center Group (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY), one of the fastest growing hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI) vendors according to IDC, – with HCI revenue growing at almost twice the market growth rate in Q1 2018 (149.1% compared to 76.3%)—is further expanding its ThinkAgile portfolio to provide an innovative solution for customers who desire the agility of the public cloud and the security of a private cloud. To address this growing customer trend, Lenovo – together with Cloudistics – has developed the ThinkAgile CP Series composable cloud platform, a ‘cloud-in-a-box’ that offers all of the conveniences and ease-of-use of a public cloud environment secured behind the customer’s own data center firewall. Lenovo ThinkAgile CP Series – with fully-integrated infrastructure, application marketplace and end-to-end automation of software-defined network, compute and storage – delivers a turnkey cloud experience that can be easily and centrally managed from anywhere through a software-as-
Greene Tweed Achieves Nadcap Accreditation for Non-Metallic Materials Testing17.7.2018 14:01 | Tiedote
Greene Tweed’s Central Engineering (CE) Materials Test Lab recently completed its final Nadcap accreditation audit for Non-Metallic Materials Testing (NMMT) of composite materials. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180717005200/en/ Greene Tweed Achieves Nadcap Accreditation (Photo: Greene Tweed) In support of Aerospace’s strategic initiative, this positions Greene Tweed as one of a select few aerospace companies who have attained this accreditation as validation of our materials testing capabilities and our position as a composite solutions provider. To achieve this standard, Greene Tweed’s CE lab completed a comprehensive audit against the highest standards for special process controls, test completion, and validation. This in-house accreditation adds to Greene Tweed’s responsiveness to new product development requests while expanding production material and customer product certification capabilities. It also
Norsk Titanium Collaborates with QuesTek Innovations LLC17.7.2018 14:00 | Tiedote
Norsk Titanium (Norsk) and QuesTek Innovations LLC (QuesTek) announce a collaborative effort to test novel titanium alloys for applicability in additive manufacturing processes. As part of this collaboration, the companies are evaluating a QuesTek-designed titanium alloy using Norsk’s Rapid Plasma Deposition™ (RPD™) process. Preliminary evaluation of the alloy is complete and Norsk has manufactured initial test specimens. The test program will characterize the alloy microstructure, provide initial material properties, and will confirm QuesTek’s Ti alloy performance using Norsk’s proven production process. QuesTek’s patented titanium alloy has previously demonstrated approximately 15% greater strength and improved ductility over traditional Ti-6Al-4V in both wire-based Electron Beam Additive Manufacturing and traditional casting processes. "We are excited to be working closely with Norsk Titanium’s business and technical team to evaluate our alloy in their proven process. Based on our i
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme