Bleisure Travelers are Hungry for Sunshine, Sightseeing, and Cuisine
New insights released today by Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, reveal that domestic and international bleisure travel is booming, and business travelers are invested in making the most of their time away from home. The findings, from a multi-national study commissioned by Expedia Group Media Solutions and conducted by Luth Research, spotlight the behaviors, influences, resources, and preferences of American, British, Chinese, German, and Indian bleisure travelers—or business travelers who extend their trip for leisure.
Unveiled today at Phocuswright Europe, Unpacking Bleisure Traveler Trends shows that on average, across the five countries, bleisure travelers take more than six business trips per year, and more than 60 percent of business trips during the last year were extended for leisure purposes. In the U.S., bleisure travel conversion is consistent with the multi-national average of 60 percent, revealing a nearly 40 percent increase in American bleisure travel since 20161.
On average, 72 percent of bleisure travelers said there are destinations they have visited or will visit in the future for business that they would like to extend for bleisure, but what makes a destination appealing for bleisure travel? Fifty-six percent said they are more likely to consider a bleisure trip in a destination with great food and restaurants, closely followed by approximately 50 percent influenced by beaches, weather, nature, historical monuments or sightseeing. This further validates the importance of experiences and activities for all travelers, and illustrates an opportunity for marketers to attract bleisure travelers from around the world.
“The study provides a deeper look at the influences and motivations of the growing and valuable bleisure audience, and the actionable insights will empower marketers to strategically target and convert these travelers within the condensed research and booking window,” said Andrew van der Feltz, Senior Director, EMEA & APAC for Expedia Group Media Solutions. “By showcasing unique experiences and activities, which are influential factors during the decision-making process, every destination, hotel, restaurant, attraction, airline, and more, can entice business travelers to extend their trip for leisure.”
Converting to Bleisure
- Business trips lasting 2-3 nights are most likely to result in bleisure trips (50 percent), as are trips where the business destination is far away, or more than 400 miles from home (49 percent)
- Leading factors that influence bleisure travel decisions include traveling to a destination with great entertainment (48 percent) and visiting an iconic or bucket list destination (43 percent); easy-to-navigate destinations, proximity to the weekend and additional personal costs required to extend the trip for leisure are also influential factors
Bleisure Research & Booking Resources
- Approximately 80 percent of bleisure travelers spend 1-5 hours on research during both the inspiration and planning phases, which is more condensed than more traditional leisure booking windows
- Before deciding to bleisure, 68 percent of travelers conduct research using a search engine, 47 percent use travel-related websites – including OTAs, airline and hotel sites, and review sites – and 44 percent use destination websites
- Most bleisure travelers personally research and book accommodations (61 percent), airfare (42 percent) and dining (38 percent) for the leisure portion of their trip
Willingness to Travel for Bleisure
- Two-thirds of past bleisure trips were in the same city as the business trip, but more than 80 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel from the business destination for leisure
- On domestic and international trips, more than 50 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel 1-2 hours via car from the business destination for the leisure portion of their trip, and more than 28 percent would travel 1-2 hours via plane
- When traveling domestically between the business and leisure destinations, 38 percent of bleisure travelers are unwilling to travel via bus and 25 percent are unwilling to travel via plane
Bleisure Budgets & Payment Preferences
- Compared to a typical vacation, 57 percent of bleisure travelers spend the same amount of money or more on a bleisure trip, and more than 75 percent save money specifically for bleisure travel
- When on a bleisure trip, credit cards are the leading preferred payment method (69 percent), followed by cash (47 percent) and debit or ATM cards (44 percent)
- More than two-thirds of bleisure spend is allocated to hotel, airfare and dining for the leisure portion of the trip
Key Takeaways for Marketers
- Bleisure Travel is Booming: Sixty percent of business trips convert to bleisure, and with travelers taking more than six business trips per year, on average, there’s a profound opportunity to reach and entice this valuable audience.
- Bleisure Knows No Boundaries: There is nearly equal likelihood of bleisure travel for both domestic and international business trips, and travelers are willing to travel away from the business destination for leisure.
- Destination To-Do’s: With nearly 70 percent of business trips being for conferences, there is an opportunity for destinations to encourage extending for leisure by highlighting activities and experiences to drive repeat visitation.
- Condensed Path to Purchase: Most bleisure travelers spend less time on research than they would on a leisure trip, so marketers have a shorter window to strategically target and influence behavior and purchases with call to action messaging.
- In Market Targeting: Bleisure travelers may not book everything in advance, highlighting opportunities for marketers to reach and convert travelers in-trip – especially for ancillary products like dining, tours and activities, entertainment and transportation.
For more data and actionable insights that marketers can leverage to reach the growing bleisure audience, and to view the full multi-national study, please visit: bit.ly/bleisure-trends. Check out our blog and connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more travel trends and insights, and stay tuned for additional regional and generational bleisure research throughout the year.
About Expedia Group Media Solutions
Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, offers industry expertise and digital marketing solutions that allow brands to reach, engage and influence its qualified audience of travelers around the world. Through its vast network of leading travel brands and global points of sale, Expedia Group Media Solutions provides marketing partners with proprietary data-driven insights about traveler behaviors during every stage of the purchase journey, along with dynamic advertising solutions, to deliver strategic campaigns and measurable results. For more information, visit www.advertising.expedia.com.
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2018 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
1 Discover the Untapped Mind of a Bleisure Traveler, Expedia Group Media Solutions, 2016
For Expedia Media Solutions
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista ensimmäisten joukossa? Kun tilaat mediatiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi välittömästi julkaisuhetkellä. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
EURid Announces the 2018 .eu Web Awards Winners22.11.2018 14:22 | Tiedote
EURid, the .eu and .ею registry manager, has announced the 5 winners for this year’s highly anticipated .eu Web Awards competition. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181122005169/en/ (Photo: EURid) The 2018 .eu Web Awards winners are: Leaders Sorbum.eu (Lithuania) Rising Stars Naturalself.eu (Belgium) Laurels Fetfx.eu (Italy) Better World Stardustproject.eu (Spain) House of .eu Socialeurope.eu (United Kingdom) Special Commendations Dodoni.eu (Greece) Macty.eu (Belgium) “We are very excited about this year’s .eu Web Awards winners. I know that the Jury had a very difficult time in coming to a decision, as all of the finalists were fantastic. This was the most competitive .eu Web Awards to date, so the winners should be very proud!”, commented Giovanni Seppia, EURid External Relations Manager. The 2018 .eu Web Awards competition recorded over 200 nominations with close to 10 000 votes during the nomination and vot
Manifesto: Call for a Successful Transition to Renewables in the Transportation Sector21.11.2018 16:04 | Tiedote
Political course corrections, coupled with the alarming reports on climate conservation, have led the organizers behind Power2Drive and other endorsers to initiate a manifesto. The aim is to deepen the close connection between e-mobility and renewable sources of energy and achieve a sustainable future. The smarter E Europe, the largest energy industry platform in Europe, will demonstrate the potential held by this combination of mobility and clean energy, and the pressing need to pay greater attention to sector coupling. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181121005307/en/ Survey shows: Solar power for refuelling is popular (© Solar Promotion GmbH & Bundesverband Solarwirtschaft e.V. BSW) The organizers behind Power2Drive have formed a strong alliance committed to the idea of a successful transition to renewable sources of energy in the transportation sector. Some of the declaration’s first signatories include the
Knopp Biosciences to Present at the Piper Jaffray 30th Annual Healthcare Conference21.11.2018 14:00 | Tiedote
Knopp Biosciences LLC, a privately held drug discovery and development company focused on delivering breakthrough treatments for inflammatory and neurological diseases of high unmet need, today announced that management will present at the Piper Jaffray 30th Annual Healthcare Conference to be held in New York, NY on November 27-29. Michael Bozik, M.D., President and CEO of Knopp Biosciences, is scheduled to present on Tuesday, November 27th at 12:50 p.m. Eastern Time. ABOUT KNOPP BIOSCIENCES LLC Knopp Biosciences is a privately held drug discovery and development company focused on delivering breakthrough treatments for inflammatory and neurological diseases of high unmet need. Knopp’s clinical-stage small molecule, dexpramipexole, is entering Phase 3 clinical studies in hypereosinophilic syndrome and Phase 2 clinical studies in eosinophilic asthma. Knopp’s preclinical Kv7 platform is directed to small molecule treatments for neonatal epileptic encephalopathy, other rare epilepsies, ti
REPLY: Syskoplan Reply Awarded with the SAP Quality Award in the Innovation Category21.11.2018 12:00 | Tiedote
Syskoplan Reply, the SAP technology specialist within the Reply Group, has been awarded with the SAP Quality Award from SAP in the Innovation category for a project for the SEA Group. The award honors the latest SAP solutions and it is presented annually at the SAP NOW event. Syskoplan Reply receives the renowned award for the fifth time in a row. The gold award winning project is an innovative SAP Hybris Marketing solution for SEA from Syskoplan Reply. The SEA Group manages both Milan Linate and Milan Malpensa airports and provides all services and related activities. The project consists of implementing SAP Hybris Marketing to design, create and monitor marketing initiatives. The aim is to increase the customer experience of passengers at Milan Malpensa Airport and make their stay a special experience. The cross-departmental, effective marketing campaign is based on the concept of gamification: in the multi-channel campaign, passengers can participate in a treasure hunt "Hashtag Hunt
GSMA Launches New Industry-Wide Initiative to Support Development of Operator Edge Cloud AR/VR21.11.2018 12:00 | Tiedote
The GSMA today announced the launch of a new industry-wide initiative called The GSMA Cloud AR/VR Forum that will focus on the development of cloud virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) technology. The programme which was unveiled at Huawei’s 9th Global Mobile Broadband Forum in London, is backed by mobile operators including China Mobile, China Telecom, China Unicom, Deutsche Telekom, KDDI, KT Corp., NTT DOCOMO, SK Telecom, Telefónica, Telenor, TIM, Turkcell and Vodafone, as well as other industry partners including Huawei and HTC. The programme aims to encourage all parties to collaborate on accelerating the delivery and deployment of 5G cloud-based AR/VR services. “Both VR and AR are disruptive forms of immersive multimedia that, combined with operator edge cloud and 5G connectivity, will transform the cost structures of the enterprise and entertainment fields,” commented Alex Sinclair, Chief Technology Officer, GSMA. “Mobile operators will play a key role in its developme
Clientron to exhibit its embedded computing innovations at SPS IPC Drives 201821.11.2018 12:00 | Tiedote
Clientron Corp., a world-leading supplier of embedded systems, will introduce its intelligent embedded solutions including single board computers, embedded box PC, and industrial panel PC at SPS IPC Drives 2018, taking place at the Exhibition Centre Nuremberg (No.8-512, Hall 8) from 27 to 29 November in Nuremberg, Germany. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181121005002/en/ Clientron to exhibit its brand new intelligent embedded systems at SPS IPC Drives 2018 (Photo: Business Wire) The SPS IPC Drives is the leading trade fair for electronic automation solutions. At the show, Clientron will proud to illustrate its embedded computing solutions for factory automation and food industry applications. The advantages of Clientron’s products are designed for high quality, durability, flexibility and maximum compatibility to facilitate the business transformation towards Industry 4.0. During the show, Clientron will intro
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme