Bleisure Travelers are Hungry for Sunshine, Sightseeing, and Cuisine
New insights released today by Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, reveal that domestic and international bleisure travel is booming, and business travelers are invested in making the most of their time away from home. The findings, from a multi-national study commissioned by Expedia Group Media Solutions and conducted by Luth Research, spotlight the behaviors, influences, resources, and preferences of American, British, Chinese, German, and Indian bleisure travelers—or business travelers who extend their trip for leisure.
Unveiled today at Phocuswright Europe, Unpacking Bleisure Traveler Trends shows that on average, across the five countries, bleisure travelers take more than six business trips per year, and more than 60 percent of business trips during the last year were extended for leisure purposes. In the U.S., bleisure travel conversion is consistent with the multi-national average of 60 percent, revealing a nearly 40 percent increase in American bleisure travel since 20161.
On average, 72 percent of bleisure travelers said there are destinations they have visited or will visit in the future for business that they would like to extend for bleisure, but what makes a destination appealing for bleisure travel? Fifty-six percent said they are more likely to consider a bleisure trip in a destination with great food and restaurants, closely followed by approximately 50 percent influenced by beaches, weather, nature, historical monuments or sightseeing. This further validates the importance of experiences and activities for all travelers, and illustrates an opportunity for marketers to attract bleisure travelers from around the world.
“The study provides a deeper look at the influences and motivations of the growing and valuable bleisure audience, and the actionable insights will empower marketers to strategically target and convert these travelers within the condensed research and booking window,” said Andrew van der Feltz, Senior Director, EMEA & APAC for Expedia Group Media Solutions. “By showcasing unique experiences and activities, which are influential factors during the decision-making process, every destination, hotel, restaurant, attraction, airline, and more, can entice business travelers to extend their trip for leisure.”
Converting to Bleisure
- Business trips lasting 2-3 nights are most likely to result in bleisure trips (50 percent), as are trips where the business destination is far away, or more than 400 miles from home (49 percent)
- Leading factors that influence bleisure travel decisions include traveling to a destination with great entertainment (48 percent) and visiting an iconic or bucket list destination (43 percent); easy-to-navigate destinations, proximity to the weekend and additional personal costs required to extend the trip for leisure are also influential factors
Bleisure Research & Booking Resources
- Approximately 80 percent of bleisure travelers spend 1-5 hours on research during both the inspiration and planning phases, which is more condensed than more traditional leisure booking windows
- Before deciding to bleisure, 68 percent of travelers conduct research using a search engine, 47 percent use travel-related websites – including OTAs, airline and hotel sites, and review sites – and 44 percent use destination websites
- Most bleisure travelers personally research and book accommodations (61 percent), airfare (42 percent) and dining (38 percent) for the leisure portion of their trip
Willingness to Travel for Bleisure
- Two-thirds of past bleisure trips were in the same city as the business trip, but more than 80 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel from the business destination for leisure
- On domestic and international trips, more than 50 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel 1-2 hours via car from the business destination for the leisure portion of their trip, and more than 28 percent would travel 1-2 hours via plane
- When traveling domestically between the business and leisure destinations, 38 percent of bleisure travelers are unwilling to travel via bus and 25 percent are unwilling to travel via plane
Bleisure Budgets & Payment Preferences
- Compared to a typical vacation, 57 percent of bleisure travelers spend the same amount of money or more on a bleisure trip, and more than 75 percent save money specifically for bleisure travel
- When on a bleisure trip, credit cards are the leading preferred payment method (69 percent), followed by cash (47 percent) and debit or ATM cards (44 percent)
- More than two-thirds of bleisure spend is allocated to hotel, airfare and dining for the leisure portion of the trip
Key Takeaways for Marketers
- Bleisure Travel is Booming: Sixty percent of business trips convert to bleisure, and with travelers taking more than six business trips per year, on average, there’s a profound opportunity to reach and entice this valuable audience.
- Bleisure Knows No Boundaries: There is nearly equal likelihood of bleisure travel for both domestic and international business trips, and travelers are willing to travel away from the business destination for leisure.
- Destination To-Do’s: With nearly 70 percent of business trips being for conferences, there is an opportunity for destinations to encourage extending for leisure by highlighting activities and experiences to drive repeat visitation.
- Condensed Path to Purchase: Most bleisure travelers spend less time on research than they would on a leisure trip, so marketers have a shorter window to strategically target and influence behavior and purchases with call to action messaging.
- In Market Targeting: Bleisure travelers may not book everything in advance, highlighting opportunities for marketers to reach and convert travelers in-trip – especially for ancillary products like dining, tours and activities, entertainment and transportation.
For more data and actionable insights that marketers can leverage to reach the growing bleisure audience, and to view the full multi-national study, please visit: bit.ly/bleisure-trends. Check out our blog and connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more travel trends and insights, and stay tuned for additional regional and generational bleisure research throughout the year.
About Expedia Group Media Solutions
Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, offers industry expertise and digital marketing solutions that allow brands to reach, engage and influence its qualified audience of travelers around the world. Through its vast network of leading travel brands and global points of sale, Expedia Group Media Solutions provides marketing partners with proprietary data-driven insights about traveler behaviors during every stage of the purchase journey, along with dynamic advertising solutions, to deliver strategic campaigns and measurable results. For more information, visit www.advertising.expedia.com.
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2018 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
1 Discover the Untapped Mind of a Bleisure Traveler, Expedia Group Media Solutions, 2016
For Expedia Media Solutions
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista ensimmäisten joukossa? Kun tilaat mediatiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi välittömästi julkaisuhetkellä. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
AbuDhabi Dubai STOB Series 22 Investment Enters into Favorable Tender Offer Agreement with MINDOL HOLDINGS21.9.2018 04:00 | Tiedote
AbuDhabi Dubai STOB Series 22 Investment Limited Partnership, hereafter AbuDhabi22, and MINDOL HOLDINGS LIMITED, hereafter MINDOL, listed on the Hong Kong-based Coinsuper exchange (https://www.coinsuper.com) have reached an agreement where AbuDhabi22 will acquire the minimum 33.3 percent holding for the MINDOL cryptocurrency (MIN, https://mindol.net) to be issued by MINDOL, via a tender offer (TOB). Implementation of the TOB will serve to strengthen the strategic partnership with MINDOL. Both companies expect that the AbuDhabi22 bid will greatly exceed any bids made via ordinary exchange channels. With a bid offering at a stable price, the TOB method was chosen for its strategic worth. The MINDOL business vision for 2019 sets a target for its cryptocurrency, from among the more than 2,000 types of cryptocurrencies currently available, to have a top-30 market capitalization. As a business that focuses on "the fusion of subculture and blockchain," they will develop an online game that ta
Afton Chemical’s S$380 Million Phase II Expansion of Its Jurong Island Plant is Now Complete20.9.2018 23:30 | Tiedote
Afton Chemical Corporation, a global leader in the lubricant and fuel additive market, today announced the completion of the Phase II expansion of its Chemical Additive Manufacturing Facility in Jurong Island, Singapore. This milestone was marked by a special visit from Singapore’s Minister for Trade & Industry Mr. Chan Chun Sing, who also made a speech and toured the facility. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180920005903/en/ Afton Chemical Corporation – Singapore Chemical Additive Manufacturing Facility Phase II Expansion (Photo: Business Wire) As a wholly owned subsidiary of NewMarket Corporation (NYSE: NEU), Afton has been a leading player in the lubricant and fuel additive marketplace for over 90 years. The company was founded on a Passion for Solutions® and has maintained a focus on customizing commercial and industrial solutions that meet customer needs. Afton begun its Singapore manufacturing operations
IFF Announces Pricing of €1,100,000,000 Senior Notes Offering20.9.2018 23:15 | Tiedote
Regulatory News: International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE:IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF), a leading innovator of sensorial experiences that move the world, today announced that it has priced its public offering of €300,000,000 aggregate principal amount of its 0.500% senior notes due 2021 and €800,000,000 aggregate principal amount of its 1.800% senior notes due 2026. IFF intends to use the net proceeds from the offering to pay a portion of the consideration for the previously announced merger with Frutarom Industries Ltd. and to pay related fees and expenses. IFF anticipates that the offering will close on September 25, 2018, subject to customary closing conditions. The offering is not contingent upon the consummation of the merger. If the closing of the merger has not occurred on or prior to February 7, 2019, or, if prior to such date, the merger agreement with Frutarom is terminated, IFF will be required to redeem all of the notes on the special mandatory redemption date at a redem
Pierre Fabre Receives EU Approval for BRAFTOVI® (encorafenib) + MEKTOVI® (binimetinib) in Adult Patients with Advanced BRAF-Mutant Melanoma20.9.2018 20:21 | Tiedote
Pierre Fabre today announced that the European Commission (EC) has granted marketing authorisation for the combination of BRAFTOVI® (encorafenib) and MEKTOVI® (binimetinib) for the treatment of adult patients with unresectable or metastatic melanoma with a BRAF V600 mutation, as detected by a validated test.1,2 The EC decision is applicable to all 28 European Union (EU) member states plus Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway. "We are extremely pleased that European patients with advanced BRAF-mutant melanoma will now have the combination of BRAFTOVI and MEKTOVI as a new treatment option”, said Frédéric Duchesne, President & CEO of the Pierre Fabre Pharmaceuticals Division. “All of us at Pierre Fabre are driven to make a real difference for patients. Bringing more than 30 years of oncology experience and our heritage in dermatology to our partnership with Array BioPharma, we have been able to harness our expertise in order to help men and women living with this devastating disease. Today’s
Clothesource Report Shows Retail Sales Aren’t Falling or Moving Online: Management’s Let Itself Get Misguided20.9.2018 20:19 | Tiedote
According to a new Clothesource report, “The Emperors’ Clothes” retail sales aren’t falling, and they’re not leaving physical stores. Both the UK’s Office of National Statistics and the US Bureau of the Census report higher retail sales than ever – with sales in physical stores still growing every year. Retailers just need to rely on their own customer understanding, recapture their self-confidence, and rediscover their traditional frugality. Among recent front-page stories have been Sears in the US hinting it’s about to go under and profits at Britain’s John Lewis falling 99%. But the well run clothing retailers are prospering. Primark goes from strength to strength: the biggest clothing specialists on either side of the Atlantic (Inditex and TJX) have just upped their sales and profit forecasts. So it’s not about consumer purchasing: The main problem lies with management, says Clothesource CEO Mike Flanagan in a new report “The Emperors’ Clothes”. They’ve lost touch with their custom
BCW Names Latin America Market Leaders20.9.2018 19:23 | Tiedote
BCW (Burson Cohn & Wolfe), a leading global communications agency, today announced the appointment of market leaders in Latin America who will be responsible for business growth, client satisfaction and talent development. All market leaders report to Francisco Carvalho, President, Latin America, BCW. “BCW has a dominant presence in Latin America, thanks to Burson-Marsteller’s 40-year-history and expansive footprint across the region and Cohn & Wolfe’s strength in Brazil and Mexico,” said Carvalho. “This team has unmatched market knowledge, strong client relationships and deep commitment to talent, all of which is critical for our continued success in the region. Those strengths, together with our industry-leading expertise in delivering digitally driven integrated communications programs, make BCW a powerful partner for our clients.” All of BCW’s Latin America market leaders have been drawn from the legacy Burson-Marsteller organization and had been leading their respective markets, e
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme