Changing the Game: Visa Sets Sights on a “Cashless Japan” With One Year to Go to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
With one year to go until the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, Visa (NYSE: V), the Worldwide Payment Technology Partner of the Olympic Games, is preparing innovative payment experiences for athletes, visitors and citizens in support of the government’s “Cashless Japan” imperative to double the total of payments made digitally to 40 percent1 by 2025. With the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 expected to be the most innovative Olympic and Paralympic Games yet, Visa is in a unique position to help the Games become a catalyst for delivering the best in digital payments to Japan.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190724005440/en/
One year until the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020! As a Proud Partner for over 33 years, Visa is excited to support our #TeamVisa athletes as they prepare for #Tokyo2020. (Photo: Business Wire)
“There is virtually no other market in the world today that compares to Japan – it is the world’s third largest economy and a leader across many industries, yet commerce remains predominantly cash-based,” said Stephen Karpin, Representative Director & Country Manager of Japan, Visa. “Visa embraces the Olympic Games as an opportunity to offer cutting-edge payment technologies at venues and the Olympic Village, and throughout the host country to truly enhance the fan experience. For Tokyo 2020, we are planning experiences that will leave a lasting impact on the country, with the goal of helping accelerate economic growth, while providing the Japanese community and visitors with a ‘wow’ experience on-the-ground.”
Supporting the Road to a “Cashless Japan”
Today, only about one-fifth of all payments in Japan use digital methods compared with around 90% in South Korea and roughly 60% in the U.S and 70% in China.2 With 40 million3 visitors expected to arrive in Japan next year, Visa has a range of initiatives underway to ensure the best possible commerce and payments experiences, including:
- Growing Digital Payment Acceptance : To address the current prevalence of cash, Visa is working closely with merchants in a wide range of business categories, including Quick Service Restaurants (QSR), transit and convenience stores, to upgrade and enable contactless point-of-sale (POS) and to drive adoption for digital payments prior to the start of Tokyo 2020.
- Team Visa for Cashless Japan: Since 2000, Visa has supported Team Visa, a diverse roster of global athletes who compete in a wide range of events, representing the brand on-and-off the field of competition. Team Visa athlete and Japanese Olympic hopeful in the newly added sport of surfing Kanoa Igarashi is “riding the cashless wave” in Visa’s marketing campaign, already live in Japan. Throughout the year, Visa will continue expanding the Team Visa roster and our marketing efforts that highlight these Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls, to elevate their stories and promote the use of digital payments.
- Building a Partner Ecosystem : As the world’s leader in digital payments, Visa drives innovation to its 3.4 billion accountholders through a wide group of financial services, merchant, technology and fintech partners. To further grow its network in Japan, Visa has launched Visa Fintech Fast-Track to make it quicker and easier for fintechs to build and deliver new digital commerce experiences on Visa’s payments network. Visa has also recently partnered with LINE Pay Corporation, operator of digital wallet and fintech services on the LINE messaging app to encourage digital payment adoption.
- Games-time Innovations: As the exclusive payment technology sponsor, Visa is in a unique position to bring cutting-edge payment technologies to every Olympic Games, often trialing technology not yet commercially available. At the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Visa offered a payment-enabled ring to its Team Visa athletes. At the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games, Visa commercially sold wearable products, such as gloves and lapel pins, enabled to make payments over contactless payment readers. For Tokyo 2020, Visa is exploring payment innovations ranging from biometric payment authentication and wearables to new mobile applications which will include digitally-issued cards.
- Measuring Inbound Global Travel & Spend to Japan: According to Visa’s Global Travel Intentions (GTI) Study, Japan has overtaken the United States as the most popular destination within the past two years among the international travelers surveyed. In the lead up to the Olympic Games, Visa will continue to share consumer travel and spend data and predictions on Olympic-related tourism trends, to help prepare local merchants for an influx of foreign travelers.
About Visa Inc.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce. For more information, visit About Visa, visacorporate.tumblr.com and @VisaNews.
2 Euromonitor Financial Cards and Payments Report in Japan, https://www.euromonitor.com/financial-cards-and-payments-in-japan/report
3 Japan National Tourism Association, annual data as of Dec 31, 2017
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
IFF to Present at Barclays Global Consumer Staples Conference September 520.8.2019 23:15:00 EEST | Press release
Regulatory News: IFF (NYSE: IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF) (TASE: IFF), a leading innovator of taste, scent, and nutrition & ingredients today announced that the Company’s management will speak at the Barclays Global Consumer Staples Conference in Boston, Massachusetts, on Thursday, Sept 5, 2019 at 2:15 PM ET. Investors may access the live webcast and accompanying slide presentation on the Company's website at ir.iff.com. For those unable to listen to the live webcast, a recorded version will be made available for replay. Welcome to IFF At IFF (NYSE:IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF) (TASE: IFF), we’re using Uncommon Sense to create what the world needs. As a collective of unconventional thinkers and creators, we put science and artistry to work to create unique and unexpected scents, tastes, experiences and ingredients for the products our world craves. Learn more at iff.com, Twitter , Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho
Novalis LifeSciences Launches its First Life Science Investment Fund with $85 Million20.8.2019 19:29:00 EEST | Press release
August 20th, 2019, Novalis LifeSciences, an investment and advisory firm for the Life Science industry, announced today that it has raised $85M in capital for its first fund - Novalis LifeSciences Investments I, L.P. Novalis LifeSciences is focused on highly innovative Life Science companies. On the occasion of closing the first fund, Marijn E. Dekkers, founder and chairman, said: “This first fund is a growth-oriented fund that will invest in 8-12 companies that are commercializing breakthrough technologies in various segments of the Life Science industry. This includes drug discovery, life science tools, genomics, synthetic biology, diagnostics, and agricultural biotechnology – all areas with huge unmet needs and exciting opportunities for investors”. About Novalis LifeSciences Novalis Lifesciences LLC, is a globally acting venture capital firm focused on breakthrough technologies in Life Science. Founded and managed by Dr. Marijn E. Dekkers, current chairman of Unilever and former ch
Bermuda Tech Week 2019 to Celebrate Innovation and Explore Opportunities for Growth20.8.2019 17:27:00 EEST | Press release
Registration is under way and filling fast for Bermuda Tech Week 2019 which will take place at the Hamilton Princess & Beach Club from October 14-18, 2019. The programme of insightful and engaging events will explore future opportunities and challenges presented by emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, digital assets, insurtech and virtual reality. It will showcase Bermuda’s ongoing success in creating a welcoming, stable and well-regulated environment where technology and start-up companies can thrive. “Bermuda has a long history of innovation so we understand and recognise the power of technology to positively impact both the economy and society,” said Bermuda Premier David Burt. “Over the past two years, we have built on our strength as a global leader in regulating the risks associated with the global insurance industry to develop a clear regulatory framework around managing the risks associated with Fintech. Our progressive approach has drawn accolades
Limelight Networks Expands Developer Toolkit With New API and Portal Enhancements20.8.2019 17:25:00 EEST | Press release
Limelight Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq: LLNW), a leading provider of edge cloud services, today announced it has expanded the management and configuration capabilities of its suite of services with new Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and web portal offerings. With these new capabilities in addition to existing APIs and Software Development Kits, developers now have more power to manage and monitor services across Limelight’s edge cloud platform. According to an IDC surveyi, more than half the organizations surveyed have already adopted DevOps practices, with an additional 20 percent planning to do so in the next 12 months. To help organizations meet these demands, Limelight has introduced expanded API capabilities to provide developers with access to the full set of configuration options available across its content delivery services. Limelight’s new Configuration API enables developers to configure Limelight services and programmatically integrate them into their workflows. It exp
Andersen Global Enters Zimbabwe20.8.2019 16:30:00 EEST | Press release
Andersen Global announced it has signed a collaboration agreement with Chimwamurombe Legal Practice (Zenas) in Zimbabwe. Andersen Global has built a presence in over 14 African countries in just under two years. Zenas was founded in 2015 and now has a team of 11 professionals who provide legal services to individuals, organizations, institutions and corporations. With a specialty of serving small to medium enterprises, they offer solutions in mining and construction, commercial, debt recovery, property law, labor law, family law, tax, technology, telecommunications, media and intellectual property law, and criminal litigation. “When we started, we set out to be the most sought-after, trusted legal firm in Zimbabwe,” said Fungai Chimwamurombe, Zenas Office Managing Director. “These values line up very closely with those firms in the Andersen Global international organization. We are happy to join a team of professionals that is equally committed to treating clients like family and deliv
DXC Technology and Google Cloud Announce Global Partnership to Drive Innovation for Enterprises at Scale20.8.2019 16:00:00 EEST | Press release
DXC Technology (NYSE: DXC) today announced a strategic partnership with Google Cloud that will enable enterprise clients to modernize their mission-critical IT and integrate digital solutions on Google Cloud Platform. With the strategic partnership, DXC is also launching a Google Cloud Platform Center of Excellence (COE) and a Google Cloud Artificial Intelligence (AI) COE to provide clients in key industries with secure, scalable and agile cloud-based digital platforms that leverage advanced data analytics capabilities. The new collaboration will initially focus on joint solutions in industries such as insurance, oil and gas exploration, automotive, consumer products, retail, and banking and capital markets. Google Cloud now joins the DXC Partner Network as a strategic partner. “Our new Google Cloud partnership will benefit clients looking to go to the next level in their digital transformation,” said Edward Ho, executive vice president and general manager, Offerings, DXC. “Google Clou
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom