Changing the Game: Visa Sets Sights on a “Cashless Japan” With One Year to Go to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
With one year to go until the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, Visa (NYSE: V), the Worldwide Payment Technology Partner of the Olympic Games, is preparing innovative payment experiences for athletes, visitors and citizens in support of the government’s “Cashless Japan” imperative to double the total of payments made digitally to 40 percent1 by 2025. With the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 expected to be the most innovative Olympic and Paralympic Games yet, Visa is in a unique position to help the Games become a catalyst for delivering the best in digital payments to Japan.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190724005440/en/
One year until the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020! As a Proud Partner for over 33 years, Visa is excited to support our #TeamVisa athletes as they prepare for #Tokyo2020. (Photo: Business Wire)
“There is virtually no other market in the world today that compares to Japan – it is the world’s third largest economy and a leader across many industries, yet commerce remains predominantly cash-based,” said Stephen Karpin, Representative Director & Country Manager of Japan, Visa. “Visa embraces the Olympic Games as an opportunity to offer cutting-edge payment technologies at venues and the Olympic Village, and throughout the host country to truly enhance the fan experience. For Tokyo 2020, we are planning experiences that will leave a lasting impact on the country, with the goal of helping accelerate economic growth, while providing the Japanese community and visitors with a ‘wow’ experience on-the-ground.”
Supporting the Road to a “Cashless Japan”
Today, only about one-fifth of all payments in Japan use digital methods compared with around 90% in South Korea and roughly 60% in the U.S and 70% in China.2 With 40 million3 visitors expected to arrive in Japan next year, Visa has a range of initiatives underway to ensure the best possible commerce and payments experiences, including:
- Growing Digital Payment Acceptance : To address the current prevalence of cash, Visa is working closely with merchants in a wide range of business categories, including Quick Service Restaurants (QSR), transit and convenience stores, to upgrade and enable contactless point-of-sale (POS) and to drive adoption for digital payments prior to the start of Tokyo 2020.
- Team Visa for Cashless Japan: Since 2000, Visa has supported Team Visa, a diverse roster of global athletes who compete in a wide range of events, representing the brand on-and-off the field of competition. Team Visa athlete and Japanese Olympic hopeful in the newly added sport of surfing Kanoa Igarashi is “riding the cashless wave” in Visa’s marketing campaign, already live in Japan. Throughout the year, Visa will continue expanding the Team Visa roster and our marketing efforts that highlight these Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls, to elevate their stories and promote the use of digital payments.
- Building a Partner Ecosystem : As the world’s leader in digital payments, Visa drives innovation to its 3.4 billion accountholders through a wide group of financial services, merchant, technology and fintech partners. To further grow its network in Japan, Visa has launched Visa Fintech Fast-Track to make it quicker and easier for fintechs to build and deliver new digital commerce experiences on Visa’s payments network. Visa has also recently partnered with LINE Pay Corporation, operator of digital wallet and fintech services on the LINE messaging app to encourage digital payment adoption.
- Games-time Innovations: As the exclusive payment technology sponsor, Visa is in a unique position to bring cutting-edge payment technologies to every Olympic Games, often trialing technology not yet commercially available. At the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Visa offered a payment-enabled ring to its Team Visa athletes. At the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games, Visa commercially sold wearable products, such as gloves and lapel pins, enabled to make payments over contactless payment readers. For Tokyo 2020, Visa is exploring payment innovations ranging from biometric payment authentication and wearables to new mobile applications which will include digitally-issued cards.
- Measuring Inbound Global Travel & Spend to Japan: According to Visa’s Global Travel Intentions (GTI) Study, Japan has overtaken the United States as the most popular destination within the past two years among the international travelers surveyed. In the lead up to the Olympic Games, Visa will continue to share consumer travel and spend data and predictions on Olympic-related tourism trends, to help prepare local merchants for an influx of foreign travelers.
About Visa Inc.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce. For more information, visit About Visa, visacorporate.tumblr.com and @VisaNews.
2 Euromonitor Financial Cards and Payments Report in Japan, https://www.euromonitor.com/financial-cards-and-payments-in-japan/report
3 Japan National Tourism Association, annual data as of Dec 31, 2017
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Schlumberger Announces Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Results Conference Call6.12.2019 21:07:00 EET | Press release
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB) will hold a conference call on January 17, 2020 to discuss the results for the fourth quarter and full year ending December 31, 2019. The conference call is scheduled to begin at 8:30 am US Eastern time and a press release regarding the results will be issued at 7:00 am US Eastern time. To access the conference call, listeners should contact the Conference Call Operator at +1 (844) 721-7241 within North America or +1 (409) 207-6955 outside of North America approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the call and the access code is 4013483. A webcast of the conference call will be broadcast simultaneously at www.slb.com/irwebcast on a listen-only basis. Listeners should log in 15 minutes prior to the start of the call to test their browsers and register for the webcast. Following the end of the conference call, a replay will be available at www.slb.com/irwebcast until February 17, 2020, and can be accessed by dialing +1 (866) 207-1041 within North Amer
BUFF STUDIO Globally Launches My Coloring, a Mobile 3D Pixel Art Coloring Book Game6.12.2019 16:00:00 EET | Press release
BUFF STUDIO announced on December 5 that it launched My Coloring, a mobile 3D pixel art coloring book game, in 155 countries simultaneously. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191206005162/en/ BUFF STUDIO launched My Coloring, a mobile 3D pixel art coloring book game, in 155 countries simultaneously. My Coloring is a game that materializes a 3D pixel art coloring book on mobile devices. You can blow your stress away as you paint spaces in the order of numbers on the screen while reading calming messages. Relaxing background music you will listen during gameplay and its fairytale-like design will give you pleasure and happiness. You can download it for free on Google Play and the Apple App Store. (Graphic: Business Wire) Its Android and iOS versions were released at the same time so the users can download it for free on Google Play and the Apple App Store. My Coloring is a game that materializes a 3D pixel art col
Horizon8 Opens European Headquarters in Cork with Plans for up to 50 Jobs6.12.2019 15:00:00 EET | Press release
Horizon8, an innovative, technology solutions company today opens its European headquarters in Cork, Ireland. Formerly called HengTian, the Company was created in 2004 as a strategic partnership between Boston based State Street, and Hangzhou based Insigma Technology and Zhejiang University. The new office in Cork will mark the first European office for Horizon8 adding to the company’s North American presence in Boston. An Tánaiste (Deputy Prime Minister), Simon Coveney, T.D. commenting on the opening said: “This announcement is great news for Cork and indeed Ireland. With up to 50 jobs planned, Horizon8 is placing a significant vote of confidence in the Irish Market and further demonstrates our competitive position in attracting Foreign Direct Investment. All of these roles will be for high-skilled workers, including engineers, developers and business consultants. As a Government, we have been committed to making sure that there is a strong pipeline of job opportunities outside of Dub
UAE Company Completes GBP 300 Million Investment in UK6.12.2019 12:58:00 EET | Press release
Twenty14 Holdings, the hospitality investment arm of LuLu Group International, has completed investments of US$ 390 million in UK with the inauguration of the Great Scotland Yard in London today. The hotel will be open for business from December 9, 2019. The historic property was acquired in 2015 for GBP 110 million, and the makeover of the hotel involved a further GBP 50 million. In addition to the Great Scotland Yard, Twenty14 Holdings had acquired the celebrated Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian in Scotland in 2018. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191206005122/en/ The Great Scotland Yard being formally inaugurated by Nicky Morgan, Secretary of State, Lord Jonathan Marland, Sir Edward Lister, UAE Ambassador HE Mansoor Abulhoul, Indian High Commissioner Ruchi Ghanshyam, Hyatt Hotels Global President & CEO Mark Hoplamazian in the presence of LuLu Group Chairman Yusuffali MA and Twenty14 Holdings MD Ad
Autodoc GmbH adapts its storage capacity to strong company growth6.12.2019 12:08:00 EET | Press release
Autodoc, the benchmark in online retail for car spare parts in Europe, is expanding its logistics locations in Szczecin and Berlin. With above-average growth in recent years, the demands placed on logistics have become increasingly extensive. In 2018 as a whole, around five million orders were processed and delivered at the two Autodoc warehouses in Berlin and Szczecin. In the current year, the 6 million mark in orders was already exceeded by mid-November. In order to meet Europe-wide demand in the future as well, Autodoc has rented additional warehouse space in Szczecin and at its main location in Berlin. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191206005110/en/ The Autodoc warehouse in Szczecin, Poland, will provide around 27,000 m² of storage space from spring 2020. (Photo: Business Wire) Expansion of logistics capacities is a key growth factor Autodoc saw itself as a European company from the outset and identified
Play harnesses ADVA timing solution for 5G-ready mobile network6.12.2019 11:00:00 EET | Press release
ADVA (FSE: ADV) today announced that Play has deployed its Oscilloquartz timing solution to provide LTE Advanced services throughout Poland and prepare its network for 5G. The PTP grandmaster with dual integrated GNSS antenna enables Play to deliver the resilient and accurate Precision Time Protocol (PTP) frequency and phase synchronization needed for next-generation connectivity. With its ultra-compact design, the OSA 5405 Series empowers Play to migrate its radio access network from costly GNSS RF antennas and coax cables to standard copper and fiber Ethernet cabling, dramatically reducing capital expenditure and operating expenses. ADVA’s long-term partner NAVI also played a key role in the project. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191206005008/en/ ADVA's OSA 5405 timing technology is helping Play prepare for 5G (Photo: Business Wire) “This deployment is about taking our RAN infrastructure to the next level.
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom