GSMA To Showcase Mobile’s Increasing Impact on Sustainable Development During UN General Assembly Week
The GSMA will represent the global mobile industry at the 73rd session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA) being held in New York this week, advancing the leading role the sector is playing in meeting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Over the coming week, the GSMA will be participating in a wide range of activities with several high-profile partners and providing a critical platform for dialogue between mobile industry leaders, heads of state, global leaders and governments to further accelerate mobile’s contribution to the SDGs.
“The GSMA will be in UNGA for the third year running to demonstrate how the global mobile industry is strengthening its commitment to improving lives around the world, as we enter a critical period in the delivery of the UN’s ambitious 2030 Agenda,” said Mats Granryd, Director General of the GSMA. “As the leading forum for international political cooperation, UNGA give us a unique opportunity to showcase how mobile’s unprecedented global scale is connecting unconnected communities, reducing poverty, improving access to healthcare, education, financial inclusion, and building sustainable cities and communities.”
The GSMA and senior executives from the mobile industry will be participating at UNGA in a number of ways, including:
- SDG Media Zone: Located at UN headquarters, the SDG Media Zone is a unique space at UNGA where thought leaders, governments, civil society, businesses and celebrities from around the world will participate in live interviews, panel discussions and special events. The GSMA is a partner in the Media Zone alongside the UN Department of Public Information, the UN Foundation and the PVBLIC Foundation. Click here to see the full programme schedule.
- Impact Report: The 2018 edition of the Mobile Industry Impact report will be launched at a reception in the SDG Media Zone on Tuesday 25 September. This report measures the industry’s contribution to each of the 17 SDGs, demonstrating the significant progress made over the last three years.
- New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: The GSMA is co-hosting a session today, Monday, 24 September from 10:30 to 12:00 at UN headquarters entitled ‘New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: Business Driving Innovation for Social Good.’ This event, held in collaboration with the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Trade Centre (ITC) and UNDESA, is bringing together global leaders and experts from the public and private sectors to discuss how to maximise innovation to deliver on the aspirations of the 2030 Agenda.
- Big Data for Better Lives: On Tuesday, 25 September from 07:00 to 09:00 the GSMA is co-hosting a session at UN headquarters entitled ‘Big Data for Better Lives: Mobiles, Statistics & Insights’ in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), UNICEF, the World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Norway. This session will feature insights from the GSMA’s Big Data for Social Good (BD4SG) initiative, which is providing real-world mobile big data solutions to respond to epidemics, disasters and environmental challenges. Demonstrations of operator mobile big data projects are taking place at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
- Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile: A networking breakfast hosted by the GSMA’s Mobile for Development team will take place on Tuesday, 25 September (08:00 to 09:30) at the SDG Media Zone. Under the theme ‘Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile’, this session will explore how mobile solutions are transforming the lives of women and their families by providing access to energy, water, clean cooking and nutrition information, and driving women’s financial and digital inclusion.
- #CaseForChange: The GSMA is continuing the journey with more inspiring films in its #CaseForChange series, which showcase stories of mobile technology transforming lives around the world. New films showing the disaster relief work conducted by mobile operators in the aftermath of last year’s hurricane in Puerto Rico and in driving gender equality in Rwanda will be among those aired at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
Throughout the week, the GSMA will also be participating in other events held in New York by the Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development, EQUALS, Concordia and the One Planet Summit, among others. GSMA Chair Sunil Bharti Mittal will also Co-Chair the WEF Sustainable Development Impact Summit being held 24 – 25 September.
Get involved at UNGA
Follow the GSMA on our social media channels for all the latest updates from UNGA week. You can take part in the conversation on Twitter using the #UNGA hashtag and get all the latest images from the event on the GSMA Instagram account.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting more than 750 operators with over 350 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista ensimmäisten joukossa? Kun tilaat mediatiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi välittömästi julkaisuhetkellä. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Global Technology Association ISACA Launching Future-focused Initiatives in Its 50th Anniversary Year23.1.2019 17:22 | Tiedote
Now more than 450,000 engaged professionals and 140,000 members strong, global information technology association ISACA was founded by seven individuals as the EDP Auditing Association in California at the dawn of the information systems era—1969. Serving audit, governance, risk and cybersecurity professionals and their enterprises, today ISACA has a presence in 188 countries. Headquartered near Chicago, Illinois, USA, ISACA also established an entity in Beijing, China, last year, and acquired the CMMI Institute in 2016. In 2019—its 50th anniversary year—ISACA has adopted the theme, “Honoring Our Past. Innovating Our Future.” The organization has multiple initiatives planned to mark this milestone, including: Transforming IT Audit initiative—In February 2019, ISACA will launch a Transforming IT Audit microsite with resources to help IT auditors successfully navigate the future of the profession, including emerging areas like AI and blockchain, and featuring results from ISACA’s new glo
Wipro Ranked Third Fastest Growing Global IT Services Brand in 201923.1.2019 17:18 | Tiedote
Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO), a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company, has been ranked the third fastest growing global IT services brand in 2019 in a study conducted by Brand Finance, the world’s leading brand valuation firm. Wipro is also among the top 10 most valuable brands in the global IT services sector. According to Brand Finance’s IT Services annual report for 2019, which features 15 leading brands in the segment, Wipro has a total brand value of USD 4.002 billion, up 25% on year, emerging as one of the strongest brands in the category with an AA+ Brand rating. Brand Finance, in their official press release noted that Wipro’s significant investments in digital transformation capabilities, niche acquisitions, and a recent brand refresh, have propelled it to the third fastest growing brand in the segment. The report analyses the brand value and brand strength of the 5000 largest brands across 38 sectors in t
Velodyne Lidar and YellowScan Lead Drone Surveying Market for Highway Capacity Expansion23.1.2019 16:00 | Tiedote
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. today announced that the YellowScan Surveyor from YellowScan has utilized Velodyne’s groundbreaking sensor technology to generate precise mapping data for an infrastructure construction project on one of Central Europe’s busiest roadways. YellowScan Surveyor, an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) surveying system, improves upon previous time-intensive manual surveying processes by providing a more efficient method for collecting landscape data with increased precision and detail. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190123005054/en/ Ventus-Tech using YellowScan Surveyor, which includes Velodyne Lidar’s Puck™, to generate precise mapping data. (Photo: Business Wire) The project was conducted by Ventus-Tech using YellowScan Surveyor to collect data along a 47-kilometer segment of the M1 highway (E60, E65, E75) in northwestern Hungary. The data, gathered by 88 UAV flights over one month, enabled engine
PMI Among Elite Group of Companies to Score A for Climate Change23.1.2019 15:00 | Tiedote
Philip Morris International Inc. (PMI) (NYSE: PM) has been highlighted as a global leader on corporate climate action by environmental impact nonprofit CDP, achieving a place on the CDP Climate Change A List for the fifth consecutive year. As the only tobacco company to have scored an A, PMI has been recognized for cutting emissions, mitigating climate risks and developing the low-carbon economy, based on its 2018 disclosure to CDP. “Climate change is one of major concerns for humanity, and companies can make a difference. Just like we are leading our industry’s transformation toward a smoke-free future, we are focused on bettering every part of our business and supply chain to become a leader in sustainable business practices,” said André Calantzopoulos, Chief Executive Officer, PMI. The company’s efforts to reduce the environmental footprint of its operations focus on sustainable design in new facilities, energy efficiency in manufacturing processes, greener purchasing of electricity
STEMCELL Technologies Launches mTeSR™ Plus, a Next-Generation Culture System for Human ES and iPS Cell Maintenance23.1.2019 14:00 | Tiedote
STEMCELL Technologies has released mTeSR™ Plus, an enhanced version of mTeSR™1, the most widely published feeder-free human pluripotent stem cell (hPSC) maintenance medium. The new medium has undergone successful beta testing with several members of the Stem Cell COREdinates group and has completed rigorous in-house validation testing. Designed to promote a more consistent cell culture environment through sustained medium pH and stabilized components including FGF2, mTeSR™ Plus prevents the rapid onset of acidosis. This helps avoid conditions that have been associated with DNA damage, genomic instability, and growth arrest in hPSCs. The stabilization enhancements allow for greater hPSC expansion rates, enhanced culture morphology, and truly versatile feeding schedules including the option to skip weekends. “With the launch of mTeSR™ Plus, STEMCELL is positioned to set new industry standards in the pluripotent stem cell research field,” says Dr. Allen Eaves, President and CEO of STEMCEL
REPLY Study on Artificial Intelligence: Quo vadis, AI?23.1.2019 13:00 | Tiedote
Artificial intelligence enable machines to better understand the surrounding context, giving them the ability to recognise sight, sound and speech. This is made possible by machine learning algorithms. A current study by Reply, conducted with the trend platform SONAR, shows which trends are still relevant in this area. The study highlights some aspects of the future potential of Artificial Intelligence (AI). Complex algorithms, Edge Computing tools that reduce latency periods and AI-specific hardware are yielding many new products and services for mobile computing, the Internet of Things (IoT) and Human-machine Interfaces. There are many different possible scenarios, and three trends play a major role in determining AI’s future as a game changer: AI-driven analytics In the era of digital transformation, decisions are made based on data with the help of predictive analytics. Companies in diverse industries use AI-as-a-service solutions from established providers or start-ups and increas
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme