GSMA To Showcase Mobile’s Increasing Impact on Sustainable Development During UN General Assembly Week
The GSMA will represent the global mobile industry at the 73rd session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA) being held in New York this week, advancing the leading role the sector is playing in meeting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Over the coming week, the GSMA will be participating in a wide range of activities with several high-profile partners and providing a critical platform for dialogue between mobile industry leaders, heads of state, global leaders and governments to further accelerate mobile’s contribution to the SDGs.
“The GSMA will be in UNGA for the third year running to demonstrate how the global mobile industry is strengthening its commitment to improving lives around the world, as we enter a critical period in the delivery of the UN’s ambitious 2030 Agenda,” said Mats Granryd, Director General of the GSMA. “As the leading forum for international political cooperation, UNGA give us a unique opportunity to showcase how mobile’s unprecedented global scale is connecting unconnected communities, reducing poverty, improving access to healthcare, education, financial inclusion, and building sustainable cities and communities.”
The GSMA and senior executives from the mobile industry will be participating at UNGA in a number of ways, including:
- SDG Media Zone: Located at UN headquarters, the SDG Media Zone is a unique space at UNGA where thought leaders, governments, civil society, businesses and celebrities from around the world will participate in live interviews, panel discussions and special events. The GSMA is a partner in the Media Zone alongside the UN Department of Public Information, the UN Foundation and the PVBLIC Foundation. Click here to see the full programme schedule.
- Impact Report: The 2018 edition of the Mobile Industry Impact report will be launched at a reception in the SDG Media Zone on Tuesday 25 September. This report measures the industry’s contribution to each of the 17 SDGs, demonstrating the significant progress made over the last three years.
- New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: The GSMA is co-hosting a session today, Monday, 24 September from 10:30 to 12:00 at UN headquarters entitled ‘New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: Business Driving Innovation for Social Good.’ This event, held in collaboration with the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Trade Centre (ITC) and UNDESA, is bringing together global leaders and experts from the public and private sectors to discuss how to maximise innovation to deliver on the aspirations of the 2030 Agenda.
- Big Data for Better Lives: On Tuesday, 25 September from 07:00 to 09:00 the GSMA is co-hosting a session at UN headquarters entitled ‘Big Data for Better Lives: Mobiles, Statistics & Insights’ in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), UNICEF, the World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Norway. This session will feature insights from the GSMA’s Big Data for Social Good (BD4SG) initiative, which is providing real-world mobile big data solutions to respond to epidemics, disasters and environmental challenges. Demonstrations of operator mobile big data projects are taking place at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
- Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile: A networking breakfast hosted by the GSMA’s Mobile for Development team will take place on Tuesday, 25 September (08:00 to 09:30) at the SDG Media Zone. Under the theme ‘Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile’, this session will explore how mobile solutions are transforming the lives of women and their families by providing access to energy, water, clean cooking and nutrition information, and driving women’s financial and digital inclusion.
- #CaseForChange: The GSMA is continuing the journey with more inspiring films in its #CaseForChange series, which showcase stories of mobile technology transforming lives around the world. New films showing the disaster relief work conducted by mobile operators in the aftermath of last year’s hurricane in Puerto Rico and in driving gender equality in Rwanda will be among those aired at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
Throughout the week, the GSMA will also be participating in other events held in New York by the Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development, EQUALS, Concordia and the One Planet Summit, among others. GSMA Chair Sunil Bharti Mittal will also Co-Chair the WEF Sustainable Development Impact Summit being held 24 – 25 September.
Get involved at UNGA
Follow the GSMA on our social media channels for all the latest updates from UNGA week. You can take part in the conversation on Twitter using the #UNGA hashtag and get all the latest images from the event on the GSMA Instagram account.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting more than 750 operators with over 350 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista ensimmäisten joukossa? Kun tilaat mediatiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi välittömästi julkaisuhetkellä. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Andersen Global Expands Africa Presence; Signs Collaboration Agreement in Economic Hub of South Africa18.4.2019 16:30:00 EEST | Tiedote
Andersen Global is excited to announce the addition of its first collaborating firm in South Africa. Tabacks Attorneys and Corporate Law Advisors, headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, has signed a Collaboration Agreement with Andersen Global, an international association of member and collaborating firms. South Africa marks the tenth country in Africa in which Andersen Global has a presence. Led by Chairman David Woodhouse, Tabacks has a team of 27 lawyers who offer legal assistance and commercial advice to a diverse clientele in construction, manufacturing, energy, mining, explosives, retail, hospitality, logistics, pharmaceutical, property and banking industries. The firm is considered a leading law firm in South Africa, and its practice areas include competition law, commercial law, mining, employment law, environmental health & safety law, tax and litigation. “The global economy is rapidly changing, which brings unique challenges to corporate and commercial law,” said David
Amazon and Google Announce Official YouTube Apps to Launch on Fire TV; Prime Video App Coming to Chromecast and Android TV18.4.2019 16:00:00 EEST | Tiedote
Today, Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL) announced that in the coming months, the two companies will launch the official YouTube app on Amazon Fire TV devices and Fire TV Edition smart TVs, as well as the Prime Video app for streaming to Chromecast and Chromecast built-in devices. In addition, Prime Video will be broadly available across Android TV device partners, and the YouTube TV and YouTube Kids apps will also come to Fire TV later this year. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190418005212/en/ “We are excited to work with Amazon to launch the official YouTube apps on Fire TV devices worldwide,” said Heather Rivera, Global Head of Product Partnerships at YouTube. “Bringing our flagship YouTube experience to Amazon Fire TV gives our users even more ways to watch the videos and creators they love.” “We’re excited to bring the Prime Video app to Chromecast and Android TV devices, and to give our c
KCI Files Registration Statement for Proposed Initial Public Offering18.4.2019 16:00:00 EEST | Tiedote
Acelity announced today that its affiliate, KCI Holdings, Inc. (“KCI”), filed a registration statement on Form S-1 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), relating to a proposed initial public offering of KCI’s common stock. Prior to the effectiveness of the registration statement, there will be a restructuring as a result of which KCI will become the holding company of the businesses currently conducted by Acelity L.P. Inc. and its subsidiaries. The number of shares to be offered and the price range for the proposed offering have not yet been determined. J.P. Morgan, Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC and BofA Merrill Lynch are acting as joint book-running managers for the proposed offering. The offering will be made only by means of a prospectus. When available, a copy of the preliminary prospectus related to the offering may be obtained from: J.P. Morgan, Attention: Prospectus Department c/o Broadridge Financial Solutions, 1155 Long Island Avenue, Edgewood, NY 11717, via tele
Strasbourg Approves the Covered Bond Legislative Package: a Milestone for the Future of the Industry and the Capital Markets Union18.4.2019 15:06:00 EEST | Tiedote
Following the trilogue negotiations with the Council and the European Commission on the proposal for a Covered Bond Legislative Package, the European Parliament’s Plenary adopted today in Strasbourg the text which had been approved by the Council (Coreper) on 20 March and then by the European Parliament’s Economic and Monetary Affairs (ECON) Committee on 1 April 2019. In this context, the European Mortgage Federation - European Covered Bond Council (EMF-ECBC ) welcomes the adoption of the Covered Bond Legislative Package, which aims at completing the Capital Markets Union (CMU) in Europe. The Package provides a basis for enhanced harmonisation of the European covered bond market, in line with the objectives of the CMU, reinforcing a European common qualitative benchmark for international investors and respecting well-functioning traditional markets. It moreover paves the way for the smooth introduction of this asset class in newer and emerging covered bond markets in the Union, such as
Schlumberger Announces First-Quarter 2019 Results18.4.2019 14:00:00 EEST | Tiedote
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE: SLB) today reported results for the first quarter of 2019. (Stated in millions, except per share amounts) Three Months Ended Change Mar. 31, 2019 Dec. 31, 2018 Mar. 31, 2018 Sequential Year-on-year Revenue $7,879 $8,180 $7,829 -4% 1% Pretax operating income $908 $967 $974 -6% -7% Pretax operating margin 11.5 % 11.8 % 12.4 % -30 bps -91 bps Net income - GAAP basis $421 $538 $525 -22% -20% Net income, excluding charges & credits* $421 $498 $525 -15% -20% Diluted EPS - GAAP basis $0.30 $0.39 $0.38 -23% -21% Diluted EPS, excluding charges & credits* $0.30 $0.36 $0.38 -17% -21% North America revenue $2,738 $2,820 $2,835 -3% -3% International revenue $5,037 $5,283 $4,883 -5% 3% North America revenue, excluding Cameron $2,178 $2,265 $2,285 -4% -5% International revenue, excluding Cameron $4,469 $4,581 $4,147 -2% 8% *These are non-GAAP financial measures. See section titled "Charges & Credits" for details. Schlumberger Chairman and CEO Paal Kibsgaard commented, “Fir
IDEMIA Provides NOS with eSIM Management Solutions18.4.2019 13:49:00 EEST | Tiedote
At the occasion of the launch of the first ever eSIM (embedded SIM) service on the Portuguese market, NOS today introduces with IDEMIA an eSIM subscription management commercial service for the consumer market, based on a physical voucher approach and future evolution towards a digital voucher. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190418005321/en/ (Photo: IDEMIA) As a major actor in the telecom field, IDEMIA is at the forefront of the digital revolution and is committed to bringing protected and convenient experiences to mobile operator customers. IDEMIA will be providing NOS its eSIM management solutions that will provide instant digital connectivity that allows users to connect any electronic device straight out-of-the-box and link multiple devices to the same mobile subscription. eSIM offers a streamlined user experience when it comes to managing cellular connectivity for Enterprises. According to ABI Research,
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme