IBC2017 Innovation Awards Shortlist Announced: eSports, OTT, IP-OB trucks, and Content Delivered on High Speed Trains amongst Industry Trends Tackled by Entrants
IBC announces today the shortlist for the IBC2017 Innovation Awards. Demonstrating a breadth of innovation in the electronic media, entertainment and technology industry, the international judging panel reviewed an array of compelling entries, settling on 11 finalists from around the world, all offering very different solutions.
The shortlist covers everything from a major football final to e-sports; from virtual studios to channel marketing; from mobile OTT on a massive scale to seamless content delivery on high speed trains. Taking to the stage during IBC Awards Ceremony on Sunday 17 September will be representatives from Toronto to Singapore, the UK to India, and Spain to the USA.
For 2017, IBC’s 50th anniversary year, categories in the Innovation Awards were updated to reflect and respond to the shifting industry landscape. Three awards will be presented for the most innovative projects in Content Creation, Content Distribution and Content Everywhere. What has not changed is the emphasis on collaborative work to tackle a real challenge, and the trophies are taken home not by the technology partners but by the broadcasters, media enterprises and service providers who commissioned the project.
“I was astounded by the quantity, and most important the quality, of entries this year,” said Michael Lumley, chair of the judging panel. “It took a lot of intense discussion to get down to 11 finalists – it was a very tough task and there were many excellent projects which did not make the shortlist, often by a very fine margin.”
“The international spread of 2017 finalists reflects the global reach of IBC, and the global significance of these most highly-coveted awards,” Lumley added. “I look forward to congratulating all the finalists and hearing the winners announced on Sunday night at IBC.”
Content Creation – three finalists
- ITV in the UK has been shortlisted for its Project Phoenix. The broadcaster needed to develop a system which managed the production of promos and trailers from commissioning to transmission. The result creates more than 1,000 marketing assets every month, with almost all versioning carried out automatically. Technology partners alongside ITV were 100 Shapes, Cantemo, Codemill, NMR, Pixel Power and Vidispine.
- Leading broadcaster Mediacorp made the shortlist for implementing a service-oriented architecture to break down silos across its global campuses and create a seamless production and delivery environment. Its new centre includes a 3,000 square metre newsroom producing online, television and radio news in four languages, together with six studios and a large theatre, more than 100 edit suites and OTT and broadcast delivery. Systems integrator Qvest Media brought in an enormous number of technology partners, including Actus, Adobe, ATCI, Autoscript, Avid, Axon, Baton, Blackmagic Design, Cisco, Dalet, DHD audio, EVS, Fairlight, Grass Valley, Harmonic, Hitachi, HP, IBM, Ihse, Lawo, Lund Halsey, Netia, Octopus, Oracle, Raritan, RCS, SAM, Scheduall, Shotoku, Sony, ST Electronics, Telestream, TriplePlay, TSL and Vizrt.
- Groupe Média TFO has transformed itself from a small, French language broadcaster in Ontario, Canada, into a major online presence producing much-loved children’s programming. Its Laboratoire d’univers virtuels, or LUV, took a fresh approach to virtual sets, using the power and cost-effectiveness of the Unreal games engine from Epic Games. Today TFO produces as many as 40 short videos, in real time, each day, from a single studio. As well as Epic, technology partners were CEV, stYpe and Zero Density.
Content Distribution – four finalists
- Arena Television is a UK-based outside broadcast provider, and led the industry in Europe with its first all-IP truck. It is regularly used to originate BT Sport’s 4k Ultra HD coverage of the English Premier League. Technology partners for this pioneering truck (and a second which is now also in service) were Cisco, Grass Valley, Lawo and Videlio Video Solutions.
- Dutch media company DMC has migrated from broadcast playout centre to comprehensive media logistics service. As part of this it has migrated to a fully virtualised private broadcast cloud that provides DMC’s clients with the asset management, publishing and distribution services they need, linking international content owners with 700 million European viewers. The new platform was developed with Cisco, Equinix, Pebble Beach Systems, Red Hat, Super Micro and VMware.
- Sinclair Broadcast Group operates 233 television stations in 108 US markets. As part of its programme to provide a common platform for on air and online services, it has developed a revolutionary approach to terrestrial transmission. The usual American model is “high tower, high power”: a single mast and transmitter. The new approach – developed by TeamCast and ONE Media for Sinclair – takes a cellular approach, using mini-transmitters just where they are needed in a large single frequency network.
- Viacom 18 is a joint venture in India between media giant Viacom and local service provider Network 18, running a multi-channel OTT network called VOOT. Faced with the prospect of delivering content to the 300 million smartphones in India, across networks which are often crowded and at high data costs, it took a fresh approach, developing a progressive web service that delivered high performance without taking valuable memory space. Within just a few days VOOT saw a 77% increase in conversion from visitor to video viewer and a 39% increase in session time per user. Google provided technology support.
Content Everywhere – four finalists
- BT Sport was host broadcaster for the 2017 Champions League Final in Cardiff, Wales, and went all in to engage with as many people as possible, in as many ways as possible. Separate trucks covered the game in HD and in 4k Ultra HD with Dolby Atmos sound – using the Arena truck nominated for the content distribution award. A unique 12 camera VR operation provided a rich 360˚ feed, including in-vision graphics, live replays and a separate commentary. The content was available online to all platforms as well as broadcast. Technology partners included Dolby, Ericsson, Moov, SAM, Sony, Telegenic and Timeline.
- ESL, the Electronic Sports League, is an eSports company that organises gaming competitions worldwide. For the finals of the 2017 Intel Extreme Masters tournament, held in Poland, it needed to find a delivery partner that could deliver live feeds to 13 broadcasters in multiple regions, with additional OTT and digital cinema delivery to some territories. ESL partnered with Deluxe to enable the delivery of live ESL broadcast feeds over the public internet. The eSports tournament reached more than 46 million viewers.
- For a decade Google Earth has given us the ability to explore the world using just the internet. Now we can immerse ourselves in its wonders using Google Earth VR. The new app uses touch, sight and sound to engage the viewer and to receive control feedback. New techniques render imagery smoothly, maintaining the immersion without confusion or motion sickness. Technology partners were Ant Food, Even/Odd, Joshua Moshier and Richard Devine.
- The final project on this year’s shortlist is a real content everywhere application - ensuring consistent media delivery on trains travelling in excess of 300km an hour. Renfe, Spain’s national railway operator, worked with Telefonica to ensure its 19 million high speed rail passengers can access premium content and live sports on trains and at stations as if they were at home. The project was led by Telefonica, with technology partners including Accedo, Cires21, Cisco, Hispasat, Iecisa, Indra, Nagra, Signiant and Teldat.
IBC2017 Awards Ceremony
The winners of these three awards will be announced during the IBC2017 Awards Ceremony, at 18:30 on Sunday 17 September, in the RAI Auditorium. Special guest host for the evening is scientist and broadcaster Dr Helen Czerski.
As well as the Innovation Awards, the ceremony will see the announcement of the Judges’ Prize, also in the gift of the same panel of international editors and consultants who have judged the Innovation Awards. Other awards to be presented during the ceremony include the IBC International Honour for Excellence, IBC’s highest award.
The ceremony is free for all IBC attendees.
## ENDS ##
Notes to Editors:
IBC is the world’s leading media, entertainment and technology show. It attracts 55,000+ attendees from more than 170 countries and combines a highly respected and peer-reviewed conference with an exhibition that showcases more than 1,700 leading suppliers of state of the art electronic media and entertainment technology.
Conference: 14 – 18 September 2017
Exhibition: 15 – 19 September 2017
For more information about IBC2017 visit: https://show.ibc.org/
Louise Wells, Bubble Communications
T: +44 7718 985 252
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme tältä julkaisijalta, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Mitsui Chemicals Tohcello, Inc. Establishes a New Company in Taiwan23.10.2017 05:00 | Tiedote
Mitsui Chemicals, Inc. (Head Office: Minato-ku, Tokyo; President & CEO: Tsutomu Tannowa) announced that its wholly owned subsidiary, Mitsui Chemicals Tohcello, Inc. (Head Office: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; President & CEO: Yoshihisa Fujimaki) has decided to establish a company in Taiwan that will manufacture and sell the ICROS™Tape, a tape for semiconductor manufacturing. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171022005001/en/ ICROS(TM)Tape (Photo: Business Wire) The ICROS™Tape is a protective tape used for semiconductor manufacturing. It holds the world’s largest market share as a protective tape for the back grinding process of silicon wafer. The semiconductor market is experiencing growing demand attributable in part to the growth of mobile terminals. Demand is expected to continue to grow a
Edgewater Networks Announces Event Sponsorship of BroadSoft Connections 201721.10.2017 00:00 | Tiedote
Edgewater Networks, Inc., the industry leader in Network Edge Orchestration, announced today that it is an event sponsor of the BroadSoft Connections 2017 user conference, which takes place October 22-25 at the JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa in Phoenix, AZ. During the event, Edgewater Networks will feature demonstrations of the latest end-to-end network interoperability capabilities, including Zero Touch Provisioning, UC Analytics from the core to the endpoint, SD-WAN optimized for BroadSoft, and much more. Continuing a long-standing partnership with BroadSoft, Edgewater Networks has completed another level of BroadCloud certification, this time for local survivability which is critical for business continuity for SMB and Enterprise customers. BroadSoft’s PacketSmart is available on all EdgeMarc Intelligent Edges. All elements of the Network Edge Orchestration are
More than 70 Companies to Showcase Top Tech at CES Unveiled Paris20.10.2017 18:08 | Tiedote
The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) today announced that more than 70 exhibitors will showcase their latest innovations at the now sold-out fifth annual CES Unveiled Paris The event will focus on the Internet of Things (IoT), connectivity and smart cities, and draw more than 600 attendees. CES Unveiled Paris will run from 2-7:30 PM on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at the Palais Brongniart. Regional technology companies, top-tier media outlets, buyers and key industry influencers will come together at CES Unveiled Paris to get a direct look at the latest industry developments. The day kicks off with a CES news conference and CTA market trends presentation. Conference programming is followed by a tabletop exhibition & networking reception. Curated exhibitors will be there to showcase top tech from robotics and audio to smart home and augmented and virtual reality. Notable
Westinghouse Receives Regulatory Approval for Analysis Methodologies20.10.2017 15:15 | Tiedote
Westinghouse Electric Company today announced that it has received approval from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) for two new important analysis methodologies that will be used to upgrade Westinghouse- and Combustion Engineering-based nuclear steam supply system (NSSS) safety analyses. The approvals granted are for the new FULL SPECTRUMTM Loss of Coolant Accident (FSLOCATM) methodology and the Performance Analysis and Design Model software code update, PAD5. FSLOCA is capable of improved modeling of the transient response in a pressurized water reactor to the full spectrum of LOCA break sizes that could occur, and PAD5 is the next generation of the Westinghouse fuel rod design performance code. “These codes were developed to work in concert with each other to maximize analytical margin for nuclear utilities,” said Michele DeWitt, senior vice preside
Gilead Announces Multiple Scientific Presentations Demonstrating High Cure Rates in Difficult-to-Cure HCV Patients and Improved Long-Term Bone and Renal Safety of Vemlidy® in HBV Patients Switched from Viread®20.10.2017 15:03 | Tiedote
Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD) today announced results from Phase 2 and Phase 3 studies of its approved medicines for chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) and hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection, adding to the body of evidence supporting Gilead’s viral hepatitis therapies in diverse patient populations. These and other data from more than 25 abstracts will be presented this week at The Liver Meeting® 2017, which begins today in Washington, D.C. Positive results from studies of Harvoni® (ledipasvir 90mg/sofosbuvir 400mg) in HCV-infected patients with severe renal impairment, Epclusa® (sofosbuvir 400mg/velpatasvir 100mg) in HCV-infected liver transplant recipients and Vosevi® (sofosbuvir 400mg/velpatasvir 100mg/voxilaprevir 100mg) in NS5A-inhibitor experienced HCV-infected patients will be presented during poster sessions on October 21 and October 22. In addition, updated results f
Schlumberger Announces Third-Quarter 2017 Results20.10.2017 14:00 | Tiedote
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB) today reported results for the third quarter of 2017. (Stated in millions, except per share amounts) Three Months Ended Change Sept. 30, 2017 Jun. 30, 2017 Sept. 30, 2016 Sequential Year-on-year
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme