IBC2017 Innovation Awards Shortlist Announced: eSports, OTT, IP-OB trucks, and Content Delivered on High Speed Trains amongst Industry Trends Tackled by Entrants
IBC announces today the shortlist for the IBC2017 Innovation Awards. Demonstrating a breadth of innovation in the electronic media, entertainment and technology industry, the international judging panel reviewed an array of compelling entries, settling on 11 finalists from around the world, all offering very different solutions.
The shortlist covers everything from a major football final to e-sports; from virtual studios to channel marketing; from mobile OTT on a massive scale to seamless content delivery on high speed trains. Taking to the stage during IBC Awards Ceremony on Sunday 17 September will be representatives from Toronto to Singapore, the UK to India, and Spain to the USA.
For 2017, IBC’s 50th anniversary year, categories in the Innovation Awards were updated to reflect and respond to the shifting industry landscape. Three awards will be presented for the most innovative projects in Content Creation, Content Distribution and Content Everywhere. What has not changed is the emphasis on collaborative work to tackle a real challenge, and the trophies are taken home not by the technology partners but by the broadcasters, media enterprises and service providers who commissioned the project.
“I was astounded by the quantity, and most important the quality, of entries this year,” said Michael Lumley, chair of the judging panel. “It took a lot of intense discussion to get down to 11 finalists – it was a very tough task and there were many excellent projects which did not make the shortlist, often by a very fine margin.”
“The international spread of 2017 finalists reflects the global reach of IBC, and the global significance of these most highly-coveted awards,” Lumley added. “I look forward to congratulating all the finalists and hearing the winners announced on Sunday night at IBC.”
Content Creation – three finalists
- ITV in the UK has been shortlisted for its Project Phoenix. The broadcaster needed to develop a system which managed the production of promos and trailers from commissioning to transmission. The result creates more than 1,000 marketing assets every month, with almost all versioning carried out automatically. Technology partners alongside ITV were 100 Shapes, Cantemo, Codemill, NMR, Pixel Power and Vidispine.
- Leading broadcaster Mediacorp made the shortlist for implementing a service-oriented architecture to break down silos across its global campuses and create a seamless production and delivery environment. Its new centre includes a 3,000 square metre newsroom producing online, television and radio news in four languages, together with six studios and a large theatre, more than 100 edit suites and OTT and broadcast delivery. Systems integrator Qvest Media brought in an enormous number of technology partners, including Actus, Adobe, ATCI, Autoscript, Avid, Axon, Baton, Blackmagic Design, Cisco, Dalet, DHD audio, EVS, Fairlight, Grass Valley, Harmonic, Hitachi, HP, IBM, Ihse, Lawo, Lund Halsey, Netia, Octopus, Oracle, Raritan, RCS, SAM, Scheduall, Shotoku, Sony, ST Electronics, Telestream, TriplePlay, TSL and Vizrt.
- Groupe Média TFO has transformed itself from a small, French language broadcaster in Ontario, Canada, into a major online presence producing much-loved children’s programming. Its Laboratoire d’univers virtuels, or LUV, took a fresh approach to virtual sets, using the power and cost-effectiveness of the Unreal games engine from Epic Games. Today TFO produces as many as 40 short videos, in real time, each day, from a single studio. As well as Epic, technology partners were CEV, stYpe and Zero Density.
Content Distribution – four finalists
- Arena Television is a UK-based outside broadcast provider, and led the industry in Europe with its first all-IP truck. It is regularly used to originate BT Sport’s 4k Ultra HD coverage of the English Premier League. Technology partners for this pioneering truck (and a second which is now also in service) were Cisco, Grass Valley, Lawo and Videlio Video Solutions.
- Dutch media company DMC has migrated from broadcast playout centre to comprehensive media logistics service. As part of this it has migrated to a fully virtualised private broadcast cloud that provides DMC’s clients with the asset management, publishing and distribution services they need, linking international content owners with 700 million European viewers. The new platform was developed with Cisco, Equinix, Pebble Beach Systems, Red Hat, Super Micro and VMware.
- Sinclair Broadcast Group operates 233 television stations in 108 US markets. As part of its programme to provide a common platform for on air and online services, it has developed a revolutionary approach to terrestrial transmission. The usual American model is “high tower, high power”: a single mast and transmitter. The new approach – developed by TeamCast and ONE Media for Sinclair – takes a cellular approach, using mini-transmitters just where they are needed in a large single frequency network.
- Viacom 18 is a joint venture in India between media giant Viacom and local service provider Network 18, running a multi-channel OTT network called VOOT. Faced with the prospect of delivering content to the 300 million smartphones in India, across networks which are often crowded and at high data costs, it took a fresh approach, developing a progressive web service that delivered high performance without taking valuable memory space. Within just a few days VOOT saw a 77% increase in conversion from visitor to video viewer and a 39% increase in session time per user. Google provided technology support.
Content Everywhere – four finalists
- BT Sport was host broadcaster for the 2017 Champions League Final in Cardiff, Wales, and went all in to engage with as many people as possible, in as many ways as possible. Separate trucks covered the game in HD and in 4k Ultra HD with Dolby Atmos sound – using the Arena truck nominated for the content distribution award. A unique 12 camera VR operation provided a rich 360˚ feed, including in-vision graphics, live replays and a separate commentary. The content was available online to all platforms as well as broadcast. Technology partners included Dolby, Ericsson, Moov, SAM, Sony, Telegenic and Timeline.
- ESL, the Electronic Sports League, is an eSports company that organises gaming competitions worldwide. For the finals of the 2017 Intel Extreme Masters tournament, held in Poland, it needed to find a delivery partner that could deliver live feeds to 13 broadcasters in multiple regions, with additional OTT and digital cinema delivery to some territories. ESL partnered with Deluxe to enable the delivery of live ESL broadcast feeds over the public internet. The eSports tournament reached more than 46 million viewers.
- For a decade Google Earth has given us the ability to explore the world using just the internet. Now we can immerse ourselves in its wonders using Google Earth VR. The new app uses touch, sight and sound to engage the viewer and to receive control feedback. New techniques render imagery smoothly, maintaining the immersion without confusion or motion sickness. Technology partners were Ant Food, Even/Odd, Joshua Moshier and Richard Devine.
- The final project on this year’s shortlist is a real content everywhere application - ensuring consistent media delivery on trains travelling in excess of 300km an hour. Renfe, Spain’s national railway operator, worked with Telefonica to ensure its 19 million high speed rail passengers can access premium content and live sports on trains and at stations as if they were at home. The project was led by Telefonica, with technology partners including Accedo, Cires21, Cisco, Hispasat, Iecisa, Indra, Nagra, Signiant and Teldat.
IBC2017 Awards Ceremony
The winners of these three awards will be announced during the IBC2017 Awards Ceremony, at 18:30 on Sunday 17 September, in the RAI Auditorium. Special guest host for the evening is scientist and broadcaster Dr Helen Czerski.
As well as the Innovation Awards, the ceremony will see the announcement of the Judges’ Prize, also in the gift of the same panel of international editors and consultants who have judged the Innovation Awards. Other awards to be presented during the ceremony include the IBC International Honour for Excellence, IBC’s highest award.
The ceremony is free for all IBC attendees.
## ENDS ##
Notes to Editors:
IBC is the world’s leading media, entertainment and technology show. It attracts 55,000+ attendees from more than 170 countries and combines a highly respected and peer-reviewed conference with an exhibition that showcases more than 1,700 leading suppliers of state of the art electronic media and entertainment technology.
Conference: 14 – 18 September 2017
Exhibition: 15 – 19 September 2017
For more information about IBC2017 visit: https://show.ibc.org/
Louise Wells, Bubble Communications
T: +44 7718 985 252
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme tältä julkaisijalta, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Ingersoll Rand Announces Acquisition of ICS Group Holdings Limited, a Leading European Temperature Control and HVAC Solutions Provider22.1.2018 14:30 | Tiedote
Ingersoll-Rand plc (NYSE:IR), a world leader in creating comfortable, sustainable and efficient environments, today announced the acquisition of United Kingdom-based ICS Group Holdings Limited (ICS Cool Energy). ICS Cool Energy will be part of the company’s Commercial Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) business. ICS Cool Energy is a privately owned temperature control and HVAC solutions and services company that specializes in temporary rental of energy efficient chillers for commercial and industrial buildings across Europe. It also sells, permanently installs and services high performance temperature control systems for all types of industrial processes. “ICS Cool Energy is a leader in the high margin rental services business with a reputation for strong customer service, helping building owners enhance productivity and reduce environmental impact,” said Dave Regnery, executive vice president of Ingersoll Rand. “This acquisition is a strong fit with our Trane business,
The Geneva Association: Insurance Industry Taking Action in Addressing Climate Change, Although External Hurdles Remain22.1.2018 13:00 | Tiedote
The insurance industry is contributing significantly to building socio-economic resilience to climate change and supporting the transition to a low-carbon economy in their role as risk management experts and investors, although a number of challenges are hindering the industry’s efforts to scale up its contribution, according to a new research report from The Geneva Association, the leading international think tank of the insurance industry. The report ‘Climate Change and the Insurance Industry: Taking Action as Risk Managers and Investors’ is based on interviews with 62 C-level executives of globally active insurance and reinsurance companies, and offers insights into the role of the insurance industry in addressing climate change adaptation and mitigation. Anna Maria D’Hulster, Secretary General of The Geneva Association, commented: “The study has confirmed that climate change is a topic that has made its way up to the boardrooms of the insurance industry, although insurers are neith
Yonnic GmbH Enriches Targeting for Clients with Digital Element’s IP Geolocation Data22.1.2018 12:03 | Tiedote
Leading IP geolocation intelligence company, Digital Element, has today announced that Yonnic GmbH, the industry pioneer of performance marketing solutions, has chosen its NetAcuity technology to boost targeting efficiency for its clients. Yonnic delivers brand relevance for its clients by uncovering and converting consumer intent through its proprietary process Intent-Based Planning tool. Its core application, CloudTDS, provides traffic routing and content delivery based upon a wide range of customisable rules and settings, such as geographical targeting and device specific targeting. By incorporating Digital Element’s NetAcuity data into its solution, Yonnic is able to upgrade its geographical targeting to provide the most accurate solution to its clients. Adding additional IP intelligence datasets such as connection speed, mobile carrier, internet service provider and whether a home or business connection is being used enables Yonnic to further boost its targeting and analytics capa
Vertex Hires Regional Leader to Expand European Presence22.1.2018 11:53 | Tiedote
Vertex, Inc., a leading provider of tax automation solutions, announced Akram El-Rikabi has joined the management team as the regional leader to head European operations. This announcement reflects the company’s growing global presence in the European marketplace and dedication to the international business community. Vertex Vice President of Global Business Development Rebecca Polley states, “Having a proven leadership team and strong regional presence in Europe is critical to engaging with our multinational clients, prospects and partners. In his role, Akram will support Vertex’s growth initiatives by leveraging his expertise in helping customers realize strategic value in their technology investments, especially in the increasingly complex global tax landscape.” El-Rikabi brings 20 years of experience in finance, economics, banking, global partnerships and software management, having worked with global corporations in over 20 countries. Most recently, El-Rikabi was the regional sale
Octapharma: Low inhibitor rate with octanate® in previously untreated patients (PUPs) with severe haemophilia A22.1.2018 11:00 | Tiedote
Octapharma is delighted to announce the publication of final data from a Good Clinical Practice (GCP) trial in PUPs in the internationally renowned medical journal Haemophilia. The study assessed the immunogenicity, efficacy, safety and tolerability of octanate® in PUPs with severe haemophilia A. PUPs with haemophilia A are at greatest risk of inhibitor development. Approximately 35% develop inhibitors, which are associated with detrimental health and economic consequences. In this prospective, multinational study, 51 PUPs with severe haemophilia A received octanate® exclusively as replacement therapy, either prophylactically or for on-demand treatment of bleeds, for a total of 100 exposure days (EDs) or 5 years. Five (9.8%) of the 51 patients developed inhibitors, 4 (7.8%) of which were high titre (≥5 BU/mL) and 1 low titre (<5 BU/mL). All inhibitors developed during on-demand treatment and all 4 high-titre inhibitors developed within the first 20 EDs. All patients who developed inhib
Alkemics to Power productDNA:Hub – an Industry-Led Service to Help Retailers and Suppliers Share Product Data and Images22.1.2018 11:00 | Tiedote
A group of leading UK grocery retailers and suppliers facilitated by GS1 UK, the product data standards organisation, has selected Alkemics to power productDNA:hub, the new service that helps retailers and suppliers to share and manage product data and images. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180122005133/en/ The Alkemics platform that will power productDNA:hub (Photo: Alkemics) Alkemics is a French software platform that facilitates product data sharing between brands and retailers, allowing them to collect and enrich their product data. After a selection phase that included the testing of 25 international solution providers, Alkemics was chosen by the group of leading UK retailers and suppliers to power the collection, standardisation, and sharing of product data among manufacturers, brands, and retailers in the UK. Starting in the spring of 2018, several leading British retailers and brands will use the Alkem
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme