IFF Reports Second Quarter 2017 Results
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE:IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF), a leading innovator of sensory experiences that move the world, reported financial results and strategic achievements for the second quarter ended June 30, 2017.
“Our second quarter results finished in line with our expectations, with improved trends across several of our key financial metrics,” said IFF Chairman and CEO Andreas Fibig. “We continued to advance our strategy as we drove innovation, executed our productivity programs, and benefited from acquisitions. These improvements reflect significant efforts across our entire organization as we implement our long-term strategy and generate strong returns for our shareholders.”
Mr. Fibig continued, “Looking forward, we expect second half performance to see improved year-over-year organic sales growth and additional savings related to the productivity program we announced earlier this year. For the full year, we remain optimistic that we can achieve our previously stated currency neutral guidance.”
Second Quarter 2017 Consolidated Financial Highlights
- Reported net sales for the second quarter totaled $842.9 million, an increase of 6% from $793.5 million for the second quarter of 2016. Excluding the impact of foreign exchange, currency neutral sales increased 8% over the prior year, including approximately six percentage points related to our recent acquisitions.
- Reported operating profit for the second quarter was $159.1 million versus $164.7 million reported in 2016. Excluding the impact of foreign exchange and those items that affect comparability, currency neutral adjusted operating profit grew 6%, to $171.8 million, principally driven by acquisitions, volume growth, and productivity initiatives.
- Reported earnings per share (EPS) for the second quarter was $1.38 per diluted share versus $1.46 per diluted share reported in 2016. Excluding the impact of foreign exchange and those items that affect comparability, currency neutral adjusted EPS improved 8%, to $1.50 per diluted share, benefiting from a year-over-year reduction in shares outstanding.
Second Quarter 2017 Strategic Highlights
Innovating Firsts: strengthen position and drive differentiation in priority R&D platforms
- Sweetness and savory modulation portfolio sales improved strong double-digits
- Flavors Latin America grew strong double-digits led by our proprietary delivery system
- Rolled out new flavor modulator for our flavorists’ to use in formulation development
- Launched new fragrance ingredient, Veraspice™, to further drive differentiation
- IFF | Lucas Meyer Cosmetics won Bronze at In-Cosmetics Global 2017 for Siligel™
Win Where We Compete: achieve market leadership position in key markets, categories & customers
- North America sales +19%, inclusive of our recent acquisitions
- Middle East & Africa up strong double-digits led by growth in both Flavors & Fragrances
Become Our Customers’ Partner of Choice: attain commercial excellence
- Launched TastepointSM by IFF to serve dynamic mid-tier customers
- First and only F&F house to sign the World Business Council for Sustainable Development’s (WBCSD) new publication, The CEO Guide to the Circular Economy
Strengthen and Expand the Portfolio: pursue value creation through collaborations & acquisitions
- David Michael, Fragrance Resources and PowderPure acquisitions contributed approximately 6 percentage points of sales growth and 4 percentage points of operating profit growth in Q2 2017
- Cosmetic Active Ingredients grew strong double-digits
- Joined MIT Media Lab to Accelerate Sensorial Open Innovation
Fragrances Business Unit
- On a reported basis, sales increased 4%, or $14.6 million, to $428.5 million while currency neutral sales improved 5%. This increase was driven by the benefit of acquisitions as well as growth in Fine Fragrances, Fabric Care and Fragrance Ingredients.
- Fine Fragrances improved 10% on a reported basis and 11% on a currency neutral basis, inclusive of additional sales related to the acquisition of Fragrance Resources. Performance was driven by double-digit growth in Greater Asia, EAME and North America, more than offsetting softness in Latin America.
- Consumer Fragrances was flat on a reported basis and improved 1% on a currency neutral basis principally driven by the additional sales related to the acquisition of Fragrance Resources and low-single-digit improvements in Fabric Care and Home Care.
- Fragrance Ingredients grew 7% on a reported basis and 9% on a currency neutral basis, led by double-digit growth in EAME and Latin America and double-digit growth in cosmetic active ingredients.
- Fragrances segment profit decreased 3% on a reported basis and currency neutral basis, as volume growth and the benefits from productivity initiatives were more than offset by unfavorable price to input costs and weaker sales mix.
Flavors Business Unit
- On a reported basis, sales increased 9%, or $34.8 million, to $414.3 million while currency neutral sales grew 11%. This increase was driven by organic growth coming from three of the four regions, as well as a strong contribution of sales related to the David Michael acquisition.
- EAME increased 2% on a reported basis and 9% on a currency neutral basis, led by broad-based growth, particularly in Western Europe and Central, Southern and Eastern Europe as well as additional sales related to the acquisition of David Michael.
- North America grew 30% reflecting additional sales related to the acquisition of David Michael and PowderPure, as well as broad-based category growth led by double-digit growth in Dairy and high-single-digit growth in Savory.
- Latin America increased 13% on a reported basis and 11% on a currency neutral basis, led by strong double-digit growth in Argentina and Colombia.
- Greater Asia decreased 3% on a reported basis and 2% on a currency neutral basis, as double-digit growth in Thailand and India plus low-single-digit growth in China was more than offset by challenging conditions in Indonesia.
- Flavors segment profit grew 11% on a reported basis and 14% on a currency neutral basis, driven by the contribution of acquisitions, the benefits from productivity initiatives and volume growth.
A copy of the Company’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q will be available on its website at www.iff.com or at sec.gov by August 9, 2017.
A live webcast to discuss the Company’s second quarter financial results will be held on August 9, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. EDT. Investors may access the webcast and accompanying slide presentation on the Company's IR website at ir.iff.com. For those unable to listen to the live webcast, a recorded version will be made available on the Company's website approximately one hour after the event and will remain available on IFF’s website for one year.
Cautionary Statement Under The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995
This press release includes “forward-looking statements” under the Federal Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements regarding our outlook for fiscal year 2017, the expected impact of and benefits from productivity initiatives and the impact of our actions on long-term value creation for our customers and shareholders. These forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by cautionary statements and risk factor disclosures contained in the Company’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Commission on February 28, 2017. The Company wishes to caution readers that certain important factors may have affected and could in the future affect the Company’s actual results and could cause the Company’s actual results for subsequent periods to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements made by or on behalf of the Company. With respect to the Company’s expectations regarding these statements, such factors include, but are not limited to: (1) macroeconomic trends affecting the emerging markets; (2) the Company’s ability to implement and adapt its Vision 2020 strategy; (3) the Company’s ability to successfully identify and complete acquisitions in line with its Vision 2020 strategy, and to realize the anticipated benefits of those acquisitions; (4) the Company’s ability to realize the benefits of its productivity initiatives and other optimization activities, (5) the Company’s ability to effectively compete in its market, and to successfully develop new and competitive products that appeal to its customers and consumers; (6) changes in consumer preferences and demand for the Company’s products or a decline in consumer confidence and spending; (7) the Company’s ability to benefit from its investments and expansion in emerging markets; (8) the impact of currency fluctuations or devaluations in the principal foreign markets in which it operates, including the devaluation of the Euro and certain emerging market currencies; (9) the economic and political risks associated with the Company’s international operations, including challenging economic conditions in China and Latin America; (10) the impact of any failure of the Company’s key information technology systems or costs that could be incurred due to a breach of data privacy or information security; (11) the Company’s ability to attract and retain talented employees; (12) the Company’s ability to comply with, and the costs associated with compliance with U.S. and foreign environmental protection laws; (13) volatility and increases in the price of raw materials, energy and transportation; (14) price realization in a rising input cost environment (15) fluctuations in the quality and availability of raw materials; (16) the impact of a disruption in the Company’s supply chain or its relationship with its suppliers; (17) the impact of customer claims or product recalls; (18) any adverse impact on the availability, effectiveness and cost of the Company’s hedging and risk management strategies; (19) the Company’s ability to successfully manage its working capital and inventory balances; (20) uncertainties regarding the outcome of, or funding requirements related to litigation or settlement of pending litigation uncertain tax positions or other contingencies; (21) the effect of legal and regulatory developments, as well as restrictions or costs that may be imposed on the Company or its operations by U.S. and foreign governments; (22) adverse changes in federal, state, local and international tax legislation or policies, including with respect to transfer pricing and state aid, and adverse results of tax audits, assessments, or disputes; and (23) changes in market conditions or governmental regulations relating to our pension and postretirement obligations. New risks emerge from time to time and it is not possible for management to predict all such risk factors or to assess the impact of such risks on the Company’s business. Accordingly, the Company undertakes no obligation to publicly revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
We provide in this press release (i) Currency Neutral Sales, (ii) Adjusted Operating Profit and Currency Neutral Adjusted Operating Profit and (iii) Adjusted EPS and Currency Neutral Adjusted EPS. Currency Neutral Sales eliminate the effects that result from translating its international sales in U.S. dollars. Adjusted Operating Profit and Adjusted EPS exclude (a) restructuring costs, (b) certain other non-operational significant items such as legal charges/credits, gain on sale of assets, operational improvement initiatives, acquisition related costs, integration-related costs and CTA realization and (c) costs associated with product recalls (often referred to as “Items Impacting Comparability”). When we provide our expectations for our currency neutral metrics in our full year 2017 guidance, we estimate the anticipated FX impact by comparing prior year results to the prior year results restated at exchange rates in effect for the current year based on the currency of the underlying transaction. When we provide our expectations for our Adjusted Operating Profit and our Adjusted EPS in our full year 2017 guidance, the closest corresponding GAAP measures (expected reported Operating Profit and EPS) and a reconciliation of the differences between the non-GAAP expectation and the corresponding GAAP measure generally are not available without unreasonable effort due to inherent difficulty of forecasting the timing and amount of reconciling items that would be excluded from the GAAP measure in the relevant future period and the relevant tax impact of such reconciling items on EPS. The variability of the excluded items may have a significant, and potentially unpredictable, impact on our future GAAP results. Currency Neutral Sales, Adjusted Operating Profit, Currency Neutral Adjusted Operating Profit, Adjusted EPS and Currency Neutral Adjusted EPS should not be considered in isolation or as substitutes for analysis of the Company’s results under GAAP and may not be comparable to other companies’ calculation of such metrics.
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE:IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF) is a leading innovator of sensorial experiences that move the world. At the heart of our company, we are fueled by a sense of discovery, constantly asking “what if?”. That passion for exploration drives us to co-create unique products that consumers taste, smell, or feel in fine fragrances and beauty, detergents and household goods, as well as beloved foods and beverages. Our 7,400 team members globally take advantage of leading consumer insights, research and development, creative expertise, and customer intimacy to develop differentiated offerings for consumer products. Learn more at www.iff.com, Twitter , Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc.
Michael DeVeau, 212-708-7164
VP, Corporate Strategy, Investor Relations & Communications
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme tältä julkaisijalta, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Celltrion Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for Herzuma® for Trastuzumab Biosimilar16.12.2017 01:13 | Tiedote
Celltrion, Inc. (KOSDAQ: 068270) announced today that the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) issued a positive opinion recommending that Herzuma® (trastuzumab biosimilar) be granted marketing authorization in the European Union (EU) for the treatment of patients with early breast cancer, metastatic breast cancer, or metastatic gastric cancer whose tumors have either HER2 overexpression or HER2 gene amplification. The CHMP’s opinion will now be sent to the European Commission (EC) for final review. Herzuma® is a biosimilar to Herceptin®i, a breast cancer and gastric cancer treatment antibody biologic drug developed by Genentech and marketed by Roche. Herceptin® is a blockbuster drug which had worldwide sales of CHF 6.8 billionii (US$6.8 billion) in 2016, of which CHF 2.1 billioniii (US$2.1 billion) was in
Takeda and TiGenix announce that Cx601 (darvadstrocel) has received a positive CHMP opinion to treat complex perianal fistulas in Crohn’s disease15.12.2017 15:34 | Tiedote
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE: 4502) (“Takeda”) and TiGenix NV (Euronext Brussels and NASDAQ: TIG) (“TiGenix”) today announced that the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMA), in conjunction with the Committee for Advanced Therapies (CAT), has adopted a positive opinion recommending a marketing authorization (MA) for investigational compound Cx601 (darvadstrocel). Cx601 is expected to be indicated for the treatment of complex perianal fistulas in adult patients with non-active/mildly active luminal Crohn’s disease, when fistulas have shown an inadequate response to at least one conventional or biologic therapy.2 This recommendation marks the first allogeneic stem cell therapy to receive a positive CHMP opinion in Europe. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/201712
Bitcoin Romania and Twispay Announce Integration Partnership Providing Users with the Ability to Purchase Bitcoin with Bank Cards15.12.2017 15:21 | Tiedote
Bitcoin Romania, leading Eastern European Bitcoin exchange & brokerage firm, and Twispay, Swiss-owned European payment processor and FinTech pioneer, today announced the availability of a payment integration that allows a global clientele to acquire Bitcoin and Ethereum cryptocurrencies using Visa and Mastercard bank cards. Unprecedented in Romania, this is one of the first East-Central European integration partnerships that allow consumers to use their cards to purchase cryptocurrency. Until recently, investors could only acquire cryptocurrencies through bank transfers and cash deposits, but the volatility of cryptocurrency markets dictates the need for additional operational flexibility. Investors require faster, safer, more reliable, and more comfortable ways to complete purchases. “One minute can make the difference between a million lost and a million earned. That is pr
Upon Conclusion of the Fourth Annual Forum for Promoting Peace in Muslim Societies, Scholars and Intellectuals Visit the Louvre Abu Dhabi Museum15.12.2017 14:38 | Tiedote
A high-level delegation of dignitaries, scholars and intellectuals participating in the fourth annual Forum for Promoting Peace in Muslim Societies, visited the Louvre Abu Dhabi museum. The delegation was headed by H.E Mustafa Ceric, former Grand Mufti of Bosnia; alongside Sheikh Mohammad Mukhtar Ould Imbala, Head of Mauritania’s Fatwa & Grievances Supreme Council; H.E Amar Mirghani Hussein, Sudanese Minister of (religious) Guidance and Endowments; and H.E Salho Jay, Imam of the Juma Masjid in South Africa. The Forum was held in Abu Dhabi from 11-13 December 2017, with the participation of more than 700 scholars, intellectuals and religious dignitaries from around the world. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171215005255/en/ Group Photo of the Scholars and Intellectuals during their visit to the L
Kennedy Wilson Acquires 124-Unit Northbank Apartments in Dublin, Ireland for €45 Million15.12.2017 14:00 | Tiedote
Global real estate investment company Kennedy Wilson (NYSE: KW) announces that it has acquired Northbank Apartments, a wholly-owned 124-unit apartment community in Dublin’s North Docks, for €45 million from Jarmar Properties Limited (In Receivership) acting through David Carson of Deloitte as Statutory Receiver, the lender being the National Asset Management Agency (“NAMA”). Situated in Dublin’s North Docks, Northbank is located just 50 meters from Kennedy Wilson’s existing 84-unit Liffey Trust apartments. The two buildings benefit from great transport links as the LUAS Red line is immediately adjacent connecting to Dublin’s city centre and main train stations in five minutes. “The successful acquisition of Northbank in such close proximity to our Liffey Trust asset allows us to leverage our existing presence and implement our value-add asset management strategy, including a
AML BitCoin Enters Phase II of ICO15.12.2017 12:00 | Tiedote
NAC Foundation, LLC announces today that the initial coin offering for the AML BitCoin – the world’s only patent-pending compliant digital currency – has been extended for another month to accommodate a torrent of last minute, new coin purchasers and the demands of thousands of current owners of the coin, who have had difficulty navigating the process of establishing the specialized wallet required to hold the innovative digital currency. This second phase of the AML BitCoin initial coin offering will see an increase in the price of the coin, from US $1.00 to US $1.25. The company has already been contacted by prospective purchasers in the slightly higher priced Phase II, and anticipates a further price increase to US $1.50 within a week or two. HitBTC, one of the world’s largest and most active digital currency exchanges, was prepared to list the AML BitCoin for trading on
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme