Limelight Networks “State of Online Video” Reports a 34 Percent Increase in Global Online Video Viewing
Millennial consumers worldwide lead the growing online video consumption, according to the “State of Online Video” research report from Limelight Networks, (Nasdaq:LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery. Taking a close look at consumers’ changing viewing habits, the annual report shows the average global viewer watches five hours and 45 minutes each week and subscribes to one or more video on-demand services.
The increasing shift to online viewing is a global trend, with viewers in India, Singapore, and the U.S. spending the most time watching online videos, averaging seven hours, seven minutes, six hours, 37 minutes, and six hours, 35 minutes per week respectively. Viewers in Europe spend the least time watching online video, with those in the U.K. averaging five hours, 11 minutes per week. Similarly, those in France watch an average of five hours, four minutes of online video every week. Germany has the lowest rate of online video viewership at four hours, 14 minutes, with almost half of the respondents watching only one to two hours per week.
“With the proliferation of online video content, viewers are moving away from traditional broadcast television viewing and are demanding broadcast-quality online experiences,” said Michael Milligan, Senior Director at Limelight Networks. “Our research over time has shown a clear increase in expectations and decreasing patience with poor quality experiences.”
Additional insight from the report includes:
- Millennials Watch the Most Online Video. Globally, younger people watch the most online video, a trend that is reflected in Europe. In both Germany and the U.K., viewers aged 18-25 tend to watch between 4 to 7 hours of online video every week. In contrast, all other age groups in these countries are most likely to watch between 1 to 2 hours. In France, nearly 1 in 4 millennials watch more than 10 hours per week, significantly more than other age groups in France who are all most likely to watch between 1-2 hours.
- The Growth of eSports. Although traditional sports programming was the third most watched type of online video content by men, males 18-25 watch more eSports and online video gaming than traditional sports programming.
- Consumers Won’t Waste Time on a Poor Experience. Rebuffering (when a video pauses during playback to load more content) is the top global frustration when viewing videos online – surpassing poor video quality and limited device access. This is reflected in the U.K. and Germany, where rebuffering was cited as the top frustration by 47% and 38% of respondents, respectively. Interestingly, in France, rebuffering takes second place as the top frustration, with far more respondents choosing poor video quality (46% compared to 31%).
- Smartphones Gain in Popularity for Viewing. Although computers and laptops are the primary online video viewing device globally, they are closely followed by smartphones. These are also fast-becoming the preferred device for millennials – for example, in the U.K., 26% say that more than half of the time, they access video content using their smartphones.
- Cable Subscribers Keep the Cord and Go Further Over-the-Top. Despite cord-cutting concerns, the report uncovered that people subscribing to cable have twice as many over-the-top subscription services than those without cable.
- U.S. and India Lead Subscriptions to Online Streaming Services. Consumers globally are signing on to streaming with 30 percent of viewers noting they subscribe to two or more services. Subscription rates are highest in the U.S. at 1.67 services and lowest in France, with a subscription rate of 0.71 services. Only 16.7 percent of respondents in France subscribed to two or more services. Viewers in the U.K. and Germany subscribe to an average of 0.93 and 0.83 services, respectively.
- Movies and TV Shows Lead Online Viewing. Globally, viewers spend more time online watching movies than any other type of content. However, viewers in the U.K. watch TV shows most often. When viewed by gender, men prefer movies, while women prefer TV shows.
The “State of Online Video” report is based on a survey of 4,000 consumers ranging in age, gender, and education in France, Germany, India, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, the U.K., and the U.S. The complete “State of Online Video” report is available here.
Limelight Networks Inc., (NASDAQ: LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery, empowers customers to better engage online audiences by enabling them to securely manage and globally deliver digital content, on any device. The company’s Limelight Orchestrate Platform includes a global infrastructure with a fully-integrated suite of capabilities and services to help you address all your content delivery needs. The Orchestrate Platform solves your most important content delivery challenges so you can deliver the next great digital experience anywhere. For more information, please visit www.limelight.com, read our blog, follow us on Twitter , Facebook and LinkedIn and be sure to visit Limelight Connect.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme tältä julkaisijalta, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
ABB Publishes 2017 Annual Report23.2.2018 08:59 | Tiedote
ABB Ltd has published its 2017 annual report on its website and has filed the annual report on Form 20-F with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission. The 2017 annual report is now available electronically at www.abb.com/groupreports. It provides comprehensive information on the company and its strategy, business, governance and financial performance. Shareholders may request a printed copy of the annual report via this link. It will be distributed when it becomes available later this month. ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in electrification products, robotics and motion, industrial automation and power grids, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization with two clear value propositions: bringing electricity from any power plant to any plug and automating industries from natural resour
Gilead Sciences Announces Senior Management Change23.2.2018 01:00 | Tiedote
Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD) announced today that James Meyers, Executive Vice President, Commercial Operations, will retire. Mr. Meyers joined Gilead in 1996 as a regional sales director and was appointed to his current role in 2016. Following a brief family leave earlier this year, Mr. Meyers made the decision to retire from his full-time role effective immediately. Mr. Meyers will remain with the company in an advisory capacity, to consult on priority projects and to assist with identifying his successor and facilitating the transition. The company will begin a search for his successor in the coming weeks. “Jim has been instrumental in leading Gilead through a period of tremendous growth and change, and he has built an exceptional team. I am confident in the ability of that team to execute against our ambitious goals and grateful to Jim for his commitment to assist us through this transition,” said John Milligan, PhD, President and Chief Executive Officer, Gilead Sciences. “
Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C. Announced as First Forbes Five Star Hotel in Downtown Washington, D.C.22.2.2018 22:21 | Tiedote
Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C. announces today that it has been awarded the 2018 Forbes Five-Star recognition, making it the first hotel to receive the prestigious distinction in Downtown Washington D.C. Forbes Travel Guide, the global authority on luxury travel, sends anonymous professional inspectors around the world to assess hotels, restaurants and spas against up to 800 objective standards focused on service and facilities. Just opened a short fifteen months ago, the property is located on Pennsylvania Avenue in the center of the city at the site of the Old Post Office. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180222006277/en/ Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C. (Photo: Business Wire) Mickael Damelincourt, Managing Director, oversaw the recruitment and selection of the executives whose teams would lead the hotel through the construction and opening phases, instilling a commitment to the highest l
Entrust Datacard and Infineon Partner to Reduce Complexities with Securing IoT Deployments22.2.2018 21:30 | Tiedote
Entrust Datacard, a leading provider of trusted identity and secure transaction technology solutions, today announced it has joined the Infineon Security Partner Network (ISPN). The ISPN is part of Infineon Technologies AG, a leading provider of semiconductor solutions used in automotive, industrial, computing and Internet of Things applications. The ISPN is composed of associated and preferred security partners who are proven experts in security consulting, security solution provisioning, electronic design, systems integration and trust services management. The new partnership will apply the Entrust Datacard™ ioTrust™ Security Solution that uses identity-based technology to help securely connect the people, applications and devices that power the connected world. The tiered software uses sophisticated cryptographic technology to provide identity issuance, management and data security of connected things within industrial environments. As a global leader in Trusted Platform Modules (TP
Blue Danube Systems Joins xRAN Forum as a Massive MIMO System Supplier Fully Committed to Open Interfaces22.2.2018 21:10 | Tiedote
Blue Danube Systems, a provider of intelligent wireless access solutions that help mobile operators address the challenge of explosive data growth, today announced that it has joined the xRAN Forum (www.xran.org). The xRAN Forum was formed by several leading global mobile operators to develop, standardize and promote an open alternative to the traditionally closed, hardware-based RAN (Radio Access Network) architecture. Massive MIMO systems are widely recognized to be a critical element of future 5G wireless networks. Blue Danube’s unique approach to Massive MIMO, based on the company’s underlying High Definition Active Antenna Systems (HDAAS™) technology, not only delivers capacity gains in existing LTE networks with today’s smartphones but also enables intelligent analytics-based RF virtualization for multi-site network performance optimization. Blue Danube’s first Massive MIMO product, the BeamCraft™ 500, has been deployed at four FDD-LTE operators to date, interfacing to four diffe
Blue Danube Systems First to Demonstrate Benefits of FDD Massive MIMO in Clustered Multi-Sector Deployments22.2.2018 21:07 | Tiedote
Blue Danube Systems, a provider of intelligent wireless access solutions that help mobile operators address the challenge of explosive data growth, today announced it has successfully expanded the commercial deployment of its massive MIMO solution to multiple clustered cell sites, demonstrating total capacity improvements for directly adjoining sectors on existing LTE networks using current smartphones. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180222006158/en/ Blue Danube Systems First to Demonstrate Benefits of FDD Massive MIMO in Clustered Multi-Sector Deployments (Photo: Business Wire) Despite the prevalent view that Massive MIMO systems will be central to 5G networks, it has not been clearly proven that the technology is deployable beyond isolated high-demand sectors where effects such as adjacent cell interference must be addressed. In fact, common digital-only Massive MIMO implementations typically operate as clos
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme