Limelight Networks “State of Online Video” Reports a 34 Percent Increase in Global Online Video Viewing
Millennial consumers worldwide lead the growing online video consumption, according to the “State of Online Video” research report from Limelight Networks, (Nasdaq:LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery. Taking a close look at consumers’ changing viewing habits, the annual report shows the average global viewer watches five hours and 45 minutes each week and subscribes to one or more video on-demand services.
The increasing shift to online viewing is a global trend, with viewers in India, Singapore, and the U.S. spending the most time watching online videos, averaging seven hours, seven minutes, six hours, 37 minutes, and six hours, 35 minutes per week respectively. Viewers in Europe spend the least time watching online video, with those in the U.K. averaging five hours, 11 minutes per week. Similarly, those in France watch an average of five hours, four minutes of online video every week. Germany has the lowest rate of online video viewership at four hours, 14 minutes, with almost half of the respondents watching only one to two hours per week.
“With the proliferation of online video content, viewers are moving away from traditional broadcast television viewing and are demanding broadcast-quality online experiences,” said Michael Milligan, Senior Director at Limelight Networks. “Our research over time has shown a clear increase in expectations and decreasing patience with poor quality experiences.”
Additional insight from the report includes:
- Millennials Watch the Most Online Video. Globally, younger people watch the most online video, a trend that is reflected in Europe. In both Germany and the U.K., viewers aged 18-25 tend to watch between 4 to 7 hours of online video every week. In contrast, all other age groups in these countries are most likely to watch between 1 to 2 hours. In France, nearly 1 in 4 millennials watch more than 10 hours per week, significantly more than other age groups in France who are all most likely to watch between 1-2 hours.
- The Growth of eSports. Although traditional sports programming was the third most watched type of online video content by men, males 18-25 watch more eSports and online video gaming than traditional sports programming.
- Consumers Won’t Waste Time on a Poor Experience. Rebuffering (when a video pauses during playback to load more content) is the top global frustration when viewing videos online – surpassing poor video quality and limited device access. This is reflected in the U.K. and Germany, where rebuffering was cited as the top frustration by 47% and 38% of respondents, respectively. Interestingly, in France, rebuffering takes second place as the top frustration, with far more respondents choosing poor video quality (46% compared to 31%).
- Smartphones Gain in Popularity for Viewing. Although computers and laptops are the primary online video viewing device globally, they are closely followed by smartphones. These are also fast-becoming the preferred device for millennials – for example, in the U.K., 26% say that more than half of the time, they access video content using their smartphones.
- Cable Subscribers Keep the Cord and Go Further Over-the-Top. Despite cord-cutting concerns, the report uncovered that people subscribing to cable have twice as many over-the-top subscription services than those without cable.
- U.S. and India Lead Subscriptions to Online Streaming Services. Consumers globally are signing on to streaming with 30 percent of viewers noting they subscribe to two or more services. Subscription rates are highest in the U.S. at 1.67 services and lowest in France, with a subscription rate of 0.71 services. Only 16.7 percent of respondents in France subscribed to two or more services. Viewers in the U.K. and Germany subscribe to an average of 0.93 and 0.83 services, respectively.
- Movies and TV Shows Lead Online Viewing. Globally, viewers spend more time online watching movies than any other type of content. However, viewers in the U.K. watch TV shows most often. When viewed by gender, men prefer movies, while women prefer TV shows.
The “State of Online Video” report is based on a survey of 4,000 consumers ranging in age, gender, and education in France, Germany, India, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, the U.K., and the U.S. The complete “State of Online Video” report is available here.
Limelight Networks Inc., (NASDAQ: LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery, empowers customers to better engage online audiences by enabling them to securely manage and globally deliver digital content, on any device. The company’s Limelight Orchestrate Platform includes a global infrastructure with a fully-integrated suite of capabilities and services to help you address all your content delivery needs. The Orchestrate Platform solves your most important content delivery challenges so you can deliver the next great digital experience anywhere. For more information, please visit www.limelight.com, read our blog, follow us on Twitter , Facebook and LinkedIn and be sure to visit Limelight Connect.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme tältä julkaisijalta, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
"Complete Your Game!"The 13th Global Game Exhibition G-STAR 2017 Opens to Success21.11.2017 06:39 | Tiedote
The start of the G-STAR Game Show and Trade All Round 2017, an international game exhibition that examines the global gaming industry and its future possibilities, was announced at BEXCO, Busan, on November 16th. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171120006218/en/ Opening Ceremony of G-STAR 2017 (Photo: Business Wire) Celebrating its 13th anniversary this year, G-STAR 2017 is hosted by the Korea Game Industry Association (K-GAMES) and co-organized by the G-STAR Organizing Committee and the Busan IT Industry Promotion Agency. It runs for 4 days from the 16th to 19th (Sun). This year’s G-STAR 2017 has been a record success, bringing together 693 companies from 35 countries and exhibiting 2,857 booths - a 5.0% increase from the previous year. G-STAR 2017
The Indian Detective, Starring Russell Peters, Premieres Tuesday, December 19, 2017 on Netflix Worldwide20.11.2017 19:00 | Tiedote
Full release here. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171120005203/en/ (Photo: Business Wire) Following today’s announcement by Netflix, THE INDIAN DETECTIVE , a four-part comedy-drama series starring international comedy sensation Russell Peters, award-winning actor Anupam Kher (The Big Sick, Silver Linings Playbook), the iconic William Shatner (Star Trek), Christina Cole (Suits, Casino Royale), Hamza Haq (mother!, Bon Cop, Bad Cop 2), Akshay Kumar (Star Wars Ep VIII), Meren Reddy (Madiba, Homeland) and Mishqah Parthiephal (Keeping Up with the Kandasamys, Snake Park), will premiere on December 19, 2017 on Netflix worldwide, following an initial run on CTV Canada in November.
Andersen Global Expands Presence in Italy with New Location in Venice-Mestre, on the Venetian Mainland20.11.2017 17:30 | Tiedote
Andersen Global is proud to announce a new presence in Venice-Mestre, on the Venetian mainland in Italy through the expansion of Italian member firm, Andersen Tax & Legal. In addition, the Milan office will relocate at the end of November. The new office in Mestre and new location in Milan have been established to better serve the growing client base in Italy. Andersen Tax & Legal now has six locations in Italy: Milan, Brescia, Rome, Venice, Mestre, and Monza. Andrea De Vecchi, Office Managing Partner of Andersen Tax & Legal in Italy, and Regional Managing Partner in Europe shared, “Our new location in Venice-Mestre and expanded presence in Milan allow us to better serve our clients and continue to build our capabilities within the region. Through this expansion, we are able to reach new markets and also improve the quality of life for our employees.” Venice-Mestre is a sign
AGCO’s Innovation Rewarded with Prestigious Awards at Agritechnica 201720.11.2017 17:00 | Tiedote
AGCO, Your Agriculture Company, (NYSE:AGCO), a worldwide manufacturer and distributor of agricultural equipment and solutions, achieved remarkable success with 17 major awards at the prestigious Agritechnica 2017 event in Hannover, Germany. As a result of the votes cast by an independent expert committee, AGCO was once again one of the most successful manufacturers at Agritechnica 2017 by way of the number of innovation awards received. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171120005614/en/ The new Fendt Track Tractor 943 Vario MT won the treasured award "Machine of the Year 2018" in the Category XXL Tractors (Photo: Business Wire) “Winning these significant awards is a testament to our continued commitment to deliver high-tech solutions for farmers feeding the world,” said Martin Richenhagen
NexPlayer HTML5 Player Fully Compatible with Conviva across All Browsers and Devices20.11.2017 17:00 | Tiedote
NexStreaming, the provider of NexPlayer SDK, the market leader player SDK for OTT apps, announced today that the NexPlayer HTML5 player is fully compatible with Conviva Video AI Platform. This pre-integrated solution brings great value to video services: from now on, they will be able to enable the highest quality HLS & DASH live streaming across all browsers and devices with NexPlayer, and ensure an outstanding user experience with accurate analytics about the quality of the video experience thanks to Conviva. In this technology integration, NexPlayer HTML5 is fully optimized with Conviva’s QoE analytics. NexPlayer sends information regarding the use of the HTML5 based OTT service, including when the user pauses the video or the video is buffering as well as information about the frame-rate. Conviva measures and analyzes this information so that video service providers and publishers
Leading Broker ActivTrades Wins Le Fonti Forex Broker of the Year Award for the Second Time20.11.2017 16:30 | Tiedote
ActivTrades, one of the world’s leading online Forex Brokers, has won the Le Fonti Forex Broker of the Year Award for the second year running. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171120005576/en/ ActivTrades was awarded at the Le Fonti Awards (Photo: Business Wire) A UK-regulated firm with offices in Europe and the Middle East, ActivTrades was selected as the winner by the editorial staff of over 120 journalists at Le Fonti, the international and independent media company and research centre. Le Fonti credited the broker for “aiming to maximise its clients’ trading through a unique mix of superior value proposition, diverse product offering and stellar customer service”. Le Fonti’s judges added that ActivTrades offers “some of the tightest spreads in the industry” a
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme