Limelight Networks “State of Online Video” Reports a 34 Percent Increase in Global Online Video Viewing
Millennial consumers worldwide lead the growing online video consumption, according to the “State of Online Video” research report from Limelight Networks, (Nasdaq:LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery. Taking a close look at consumers’ changing viewing habits, the annual report shows the average global viewer watches five hours and 45 minutes each week and subscribes to one or more video on-demand services.
The increasing shift to online viewing is a global trend, with viewers in India, Singapore, and the U.S. spending the most time watching online videos, averaging seven hours, seven minutes, six hours, 37 minutes, and six hours, 35 minutes per week respectively. Viewers in Europe spend the least time watching online video, with those in the U.K. averaging five hours, 11 minutes per week. Similarly, those in France watch an average of five hours, four minutes of online video every week. Germany has the lowest rate of online video viewership at four hours, 14 minutes, with almost half of the respondents watching only one to two hours per week.
“With the proliferation of online video content, viewers are moving away from traditional broadcast television viewing and are demanding broadcast-quality online experiences,” said Michael Milligan, Senior Director at Limelight Networks. “Our research over time has shown a clear increase in expectations and decreasing patience with poor quality experiences.”
Additional insight from the report includes:
- Millennials Watch the Most Online Video. Globally, younger people watch the most online video, a trend that is reflected in Europe. In both Germany and the U.K., viewers aged 18-25 tend to watch between 4 to 7 hours of online video every week. In contrast, all other age groups in these countries are most likely to watch between 1 to 2 hours. In France, nearly 1 in 4 millennials watch more than 10 hours per week, significantly more than other age groups in France who are all most likely to watch between 1-2 hours.
- The Growth of eSports. Although traditional sports programming was the third most watched type of online video content by men, males 18-25 watch more eSports and online video gaming than traditional sports programming.
- Consumers Won’t Waste Time on a Poor Experience. Rebuffering (when a video pauses during playback to load more content) is the top global frustration when viewing videos online – surpassing poor video quality and limited device access. This is reflected in the U.K. and Germany, where rebuffering was cited as the top frustration by 47% and 38% of respondents, respectively. Interestingly, in France, rebuffering takes second place as the top frustration, with far more respondents choosing poor video quality (46% compared to 31%).
- Smartphones Gain in Popularity for Viewing. Although computers and laptops are the primary online video viewing device globally, they are closely followed by smartphones. These are also fast-becoming the preferred device for millennials – for example, in the U.K., 26% say that more than half of the time, they access video content using their smartphones.
- Cable Subscribers Keep the Cord and Go Further Over-the-Top. Despite cord-cutting concerns, the report uncovered that people subscribing to cable have twice as many over-the-top subscription services than those without cable.
- U.S. and India Lead Subscriptions to Online Streaming Services. Consumers globally are signing on to streaming with 30 percent of viewers noting they subscribe to two or more services. Subscription rates are highest in the U.S. at 1.67 services and lowest in France, with a subscription rate of 0.71 services. Only 16.7 percent of respondents in France subscribed to two or more services. Viewers in the U.K. and Germany subscribe to an average of 0.93 and 0.83 services, respectively.
- Movies and TV Shows Lead Online Viewing. Globally, viewers spend more time online watching movies than any other type of content. However, viewers in the U.K. watch TV shows most often. When viewed by gender, men prefer movies, while women prefer TV shows.
The “State of Online Video” report is based on a survey of 4,000 consumers ranging in age, gender, and education in France, Germany, India, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, the U.K., and the U.S. The complete “State of Online Video” report is available here.
Limelight Networks Inc., (NASDAQ: LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery, empowers customers to better engage online audiences by enabling them to securely manage and globally deliver digital content, on any device. The company’s Limelight Orchestrate Platform includes a global infrastructure with a fully-integrated suite of capabilities and services to help you address all your content delivery needs. The Orchestrate Platform solves your most important content delivery challenges so you can deliver the next great digital experience anywhere. For more information, please visit www.limelight.com, read our blog, follow us on Twitter , Facebook and LinkedIn and be sure to visit Limelight Connect.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme tältä julkaisijalta, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Ipsen Receives Approval from European Commission for Xermelo® (Telotristat Ethyl) for the Treatment of Carcinoid Syndrome Diarrhea in Patients Inadequately Controlled by Somatostatin Analogue Therapy19.9.2017 19:00 | Tiedote
Regulatory News: Ipsen (Euronext: IPN; ADR: IPSEY), a global specialty-driven biopharmaceutical group, today announced that the European Commission has approved Xermelo® (telotristat ethyl) 250 mg three times a day (tid) for the treatment of carcinoid syndrome diarrhea in combination with somatostatin analogue (SSA) therapy in adults inadequately controlled by SSA therapy. This approval allows for the marketing of Xermelo® (telotristat ethyl) in the above indication in all 28 member states of the European Union, Norway and Iceland. David Meek, Chief Executive Officer, Ipsen stated: “We are delighted to provide patients suffering from inadequately controlled carcinoid syndrome with a new treatment option in combination with a somatostatin analogue that demonstrates both efficacy and safety in particularly improving diarrhea, a most debilitating symptom. Xe
6th Annual World Patient Safety, Science & Technology Summit to Be Held in London, England19.9.2017 18:00 | Tiedote
The Patient Safety Movement Foundation (PSMF) announces that the 6th Annual World Patient Safety, Science & Technology Summit will take place in London on February 23-25, 2018. Rt. Hon. Jeremy Hunt MP, the Secretary of State for Health from England’s Department of Health, invited PSMF to hold its 6th annual Summit in London during his speech at the Summit in February of this year. This is the first time the Summit will be held outside of the United States. Over the years, the PSMF has taken an increasingly international scope to reach zero preventable patient deaths by 2020. They currently have over 30 Regional Chapters around the world and partnerships with global organizations such as the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists (WFSA), European Society of Anaesthesiology (ESA), Global Sepsis Alliance (GSA), the Taiwan Patient Safety Culture Club, Sistema Españo
Vertex Announces Upcoming Presentations of Data at 2017 North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference19.9.2017 17:50 | Tiedote
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated (Nasdaq: VRTX) today announced that 11 abstracts from its cystic fibrosis (CF) research and development program will be presented at the annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference (NACFC) in Indianapolis, November 2 to 4, 2017. Previously announced data from the Phase 3 EVOLVE and EXPAND studies of the investigational tezacaftor/ivacaftor combination in people with CF ages 12 and older who have certain mutations in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) gene will be presented for the first time. Additionally, data from the Phase 3 extension study of ORKAMBI® (lumacaftor/ivacaftor) in children with CF ages 6 to 11 who have two copies of the F508del mutation and real-world KALYDECO® (ivacaftor) data will be presented. The company also submitted an abstract for the late-breaking poster session with previously announced Phase 1
Biker Summer 2017 campaign: Last Chance to Win Great Prizes from Moto-tyres.co.uk19.9.2017 16:57 | Tiedote
Moto-tyres.co.uk wants to know: For the fifth year in a row, the online motorbike shop is asking bikers from ten European countries about their Biker Summer 2017 travel plans, favourite destinations and longest tours. For survey participants, Moto-tyres.co.uk and its sister shops in other European countries are raffling prizes to get every biker’s heart beating faster, including vouchers for new motorbike tyres, a GARMIN motorbike GPS navigation system, and a GoPro camera with helmet attachment. For more information and a link to the survey, go to: www.moto-tyres.co.uk/promotion-biker-summer-2017.html. The Biker Summer 2017 campaign is running until 30th September 2017 – so you still have time to join in and win top-quality equipment for your next bike tour. This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170919006105/en/
Andersen Global Expands into Uruguay19.9.2017 16:30 | Tiedote
Andersen Global announces its expansion into Uruguay through a Collaboration Agreement with Fischer & Schickendantz, one of the country’s leading law firms. The addition of Fischer & Schickendantz continues Andersen Global’s expansion and robust presence within the Latin American region. The team is led by Managing Partner, Juan Federico Fischer. “The addition of Juan Federico and the individuals at Fischer & Schickendantz bring a new depth to our team and our business development efforts in South America, while allowing us to deliver additional services in the region,” said Andersen Tax CEO, Mark Vorsatz. “Uruguay is the next major step in our firm’s growth and is an excellent complement for Andersen Global. The ability to provide a full scope of services in Uruguay offers significant advantages, especially given their large cross border client base and Uruguay’s increase
Horizon Petroleum Enters into Definitive Agreements to Acquire Concessions in Poland19.9.2017 16:05 | Tiedote
Horizon Petroleum Ltd. (the “Company” or “Horizon”) (TSXV:HPL) is pleased to report that further to its press releases dated June 23, 2017, and July 26, 2017, it has entered into a series of definitive agreements (the “Agreements”) with Dublin-based San Leon Energy plc (“SLE”) regarding the purchase from wholly-owned subsidiaries of SLE and other SLE-controlled entities, of 100% interests in 2 oil & gas concessions in the Republic of Poland known as Cieszyn and Bielsko-Biala (the “Primary Concessions”), plus 100% working interests in 2 additional oil & gas concessions in Poland known as Prusice and Kotlarka, and another concession which is under application (together the “Secondary Concessions”). These concessions cover 3,030km2 and lie within the prolific Rotliegendes Basin and Carpathian Foldbelt, where Horizon intends to target undeveloped conventional natural gas discoveries. Gas infr
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme