New GSMA Report Highlights Mobile Industry Progress in Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
At the United Nations General Assembly Week, the GSMA today published the ‘2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals’, the second annual study assessing the mobile industry’s impact in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In addition to measuring the progress that the mobile industry is making against the SDGs, the report also noted several commitments and initiatives that the GSMA and its members will focus on delivering over the next year, contributing to further success with the SDGs.
“Mobile operators around the world are working to deploy mobile-enabled solutions that drive greater inclusion in cities and remote communities, enable access to essential services such as health and education, create employment opportunities and empower people with the tools to reduce poverty and inequality,” said Mats Granryd, Director General, GSMA. “I am proud of the strong progress that we are making, but we must continue to amplify and accelerate our collective efforts to realise the promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.”
The latest report finds that during 2016, the mobile industry increased its impact across all 17 SDGs, with the greatest improvement in SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-being), SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities), and SDG 13 (Climate Action). The study identified three key trends that contributed to this positive progress:
- Better Networks – Mobile operators have invested heavily in expanding infrastructure and improving quality of service. As of the end of 2016, more than half the world’s population was within reach of a 4G network, while nearly 85 per cent had access to 3G networks. With broader coverage, improved network quality and increased resilience, mobile networks also play a critical role before and during epidemics, conflicts and natural or climate-related disasters, supporting emergency communication and broadcast services and providing accurate and timely information on the movement of affected populations.
- Greater Connectivity – Operators continue to connect the unconnected. At the end of 2016, the total number of mobile subscribers reached 4.8 billion and 3.5 billion people used mobile to access the internet. The benefits of this are wide-ranging, with connectivity driving improvements in economic growth through improved productivity, infrastructure development and efficiency. Operators have been particularly proactive in pursuing more innovative solutions to roll out mobile networks in remote areas, making mobile services more affordable to the poorest individuals and driving efforts to accelerate digital inclusion for women.
- Increased Use of Mobile – Users are becoming increasingly sophisticated in how they use mobile devices and are starting to access more advanced mobile-enabled services. In 2016, the number of registered mobile money accounts surpassed half a billion, giving users greater access to financial services that enable them to make investments and manage expenses. Additionally, the number of social media users on mobile reached 2.5 billion, helping promote social and political inclusion and facilitating the development of education networks.
Overall, the industry’s contribution was the strongest around SDG 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure), SDG 13 (Climate Action), and SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities). Even with this positive momentum, mobile operators and the broader mobile ecosystem still have much to do to contribute to achieving the SDGs. In the report, the GSMA outlined several commitments and initiatives that the industry will be focusing on over the next year to drive further progress against the SDGs, including:
- Big Data for Social Good – This initiative leverages mobile operators’ big data capabilities to address humanitarian crises, including epidemics and natural disasters.
- National Dialogues for Digital Impact – This initiative focuses on delivering the SDGs at a local level, through work with key government ministries and leaders of the mobile industry.
- We Care Campaign – In Latin America and the Caribbean, 45 mobile operators in 13 countries have joined forces to ensure that users can enjoy the transformative benefits of mobile technology in a safe and reliable environment.
- Connected Women Commitment Initiative – This initiative supports mobile operator efforts in low- and middle-income countries to reduce the gender gap in mobile internet and mobile money by 2020.
- IoT Big Data - The GSMA is working to establish an IoT Big Data Ecosystem to encourage a common approach to data sharing that will help IoT realise its full potential and encourage the development of new projects across transport, the environment and smart cities.
- GSMA Mobile for Development Initiatives – Working with a range of stakeholders, GSMA Mobile for Development is leading a number of projects to drive progress across the SDGs, in areas such as disaster response, mobile money, utilities, agriculture and health, among others.
- Partnerships for the Goals – Partnerships with different entities, including the UN, will look at new business models and mechanisms to support the implementation of the SDGs, and engage governments and mobile industry leaders to increase the positive social impact of mobile technologies.
“From services such as mobile money and mobile agriculture, to the Internet of Things and the 5G networks of the future, we’re making a difference to the lives of people around the world and helping to preserve and protect our planet,” continued Granryd. “Of course, this is not something we can accomplish alone as individuals, as companies, even as an industry; we must work together, united, to make the 2030 agenda a reality.”
To download the 2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals, as well as other resources, visit: www.gsma.com/2017sdgimpactreport.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
For more information, please visit the GSMA corporate website at www.gsma.com. Follow the GSMA on Twitter: @GSMA.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
eLichens Raises EUR 7 Million to Boost its Growth in France and Internationally23.5.2018 09:00 | Tiedote
Designer of patented gas sensors and the first comprehensive air quality analysis and prediction platform, eLichens today announced a new EUR 7 million capital increase with its historical investors and two new entrants. This operation, which follows the success of the first raising of capital of over 4 million euros in July 2016, aims to market large volumes of its micro gas sensors to serve the needs of its industrial customers as well as the large-scale deployment of its platform that performs intelligent indoor and outdoor air quality analysis for the smart city, smart home and smart building markets. The eLichens team relies on patented technologies developed jointly with renowned laboratories such as CEA-Leti and MIT. In addition to the renewed and strengthened support from current shareholders, including DEMETER, SOFIMAC Innovation, Business Angels networks (members of France Angels) and Aereco, eLichens is delighted to welcome the Fonds Ville de Demain managed by Bpifrance as p
Greenbird Named a Gartner Cool Vendor in Application Architecture, Infrastructure and Integration23.5.2018 08:05 | Tiedote
Greenbird, the company delivering Metercloud to accelerate the energy revolution, today announced that it has been named a Gartner “Cool Vendor” in Application Architecture, Infrastructure and Integration. Greenbird empowers utilities by delivering Metercloud to manage the data flow faster and smoother than traditional system integration models. With prebuilt Metercloud integration applications and connectors, software solutions can be connected and updated in a few days instead of months of custom coding. Every year Gartner identifies Cool Vendors with innovative offerings for application leaders responsible for architecture, infrastructure and integration. Thorsten Heller, CEO and Co-Founder at Greenbird, said that “In the Cool Vendor report, Gartner recommends ‘application leaders responsible for modernizing application architecture, infrastructure and integration should exploit service mesh capabilities in portable, resilient and incrementally extensible microservices implementatio
Hilton Commits to Cutting Environmental Footprint in Half and Doubling Social Impact Investment23.5.2018 07:01 | Tiedote
Hilton today announced it will cut its environmental footprint in half and double its social impact investment by 2030. With this commitment, Hilton will become the first major hotel company to institute science-based targets to reduce carbon emissions and send zero soap to landfill. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180522006472/en/ Hilton Commits to Cutting Environmental Footprint in Half and Doubling Social Impact Investment (Photo: Business Wire) The company will also double the amount it spends with local and minority-owned suppliers, and double its investment in programs to help women and youth around the world. These goals are part of Hilton’s Travel with Purpose corporate responsibility strategy to further the United Nation’s 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda. New consumer research reaffirms Hilton’s corporate responsibility strategy. According to a survey of 72,000 Hilton guests, social, environmental
General Cable Responds to Speculation Regarding Alleged Investigation23.5.2018 06:05 | Tiedote
General Cable Corporation (NYSE: BGC) (“General Cable” or “the Company”) today issued the following statement in response to a recent press report about an alleged new investigation by the United States Department of Justice (DOJ): We are aware of a recent press report regarding an alleged new DOJ investigation under the United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) involving General Cable. To the best of our knowledge, we have been and remain in compliance with the terms of our December 2016 Non-Prosecution Agreement (NPA) entered into with the DOJ. We periodically communicate with the DOJ as required by the NPA, and we are not aware of any new DOJ enforcement action or investigation against the Company at this time. Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements Certain statements in this communication, including, without limitation, statements regarding the Company’s compliance with the NPA and any enforcement action or investigation against the Company, and manageme
Zephyr Endobronchial Valves Improve Breathing, Quality of Life and Activity for Severe Emphysema Patients in US Pivotal Trial22.5.2018 20:19 | Tiedote
Pulmonx® Corp. today announced positive one-year results from the U.S. LIBERATE pivotal trial of the Zephyr® Endobronchial Valve, a minimally-invasive treatment for severe emphysema, an advanced form of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180522006139/en/ Zephyr Endobronchial Valves (Photo: Business Wire) “The LIBERATE Study definitively proves that Zephyr Valves offer clinically meaningful improvements in three important areas for patients – the ability to breathe better, be more active, and enjoy an improved quality of life,” said the study’s lead investigator, Gerard Criner, MD, FACP, FACCP, Chair and Professor of Thoracic Medicine and Surgery, Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University. He continued, “All primary and secondary endpoints were met, with Zephyr Valve treatment showing significant improvement for patients across multiple measures of breathing a
Seoul Semiconductor Announces the Availability of a Series of AC LED Modules22.5.2018 19:03 | Tiedote
Seoul Semiconductor, a leading global innovator of LED products and technology, announces a comprehensive series of AC LED modules that use the company’s patented Acrich AC LED technology. The modules are offered in designs from 200 to 10,000 lumens in round, rectangular and linear formats. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180522006054/en/ Seoul Semiconductor Announces the Availability of a Series of AC LED Modules (Photo: Business Wire) These AC modules integrate Seoul Semiconductor’s patented Acrich AC driver technology with the company’s advanced LEDs, enabling the design of compact light fixtures with superior lighting performance, making these modules ideal for a wide range of lighting applications. “Lighting designers who are looking to significantly reduce the size, weight, and volume of their luminaire designs can select one of our standard round, rectangular, or linear AC module designs to develop a co
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme