New GSMA Report Highlights Mobile Industry Progress in Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
At the United Nations General Assembly Week, the GSMA today published the ‘2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals’, the second annual study assessing the mobile industry’s impact in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In addition to measuring the progress that the mobile industry is making against the SDGs, the report also noted several commitments and initiatives that the GSMA and its members will focus on delivering over the next year, contributing to further success with the SDGs.
“Mobile operators around the world are working to deploy mobile-enabled solutions that drive greater inclusion in cities and remote communities, enable access to essential services such as health and education, create employment opportunities and empower people with the tools to reduce poverty and inequality,” said Mats Granryd, Director General, GSMA. “I am proud of the strong progress that we are making, but we must continue to amplify and accelerate our collective efforts to realise the promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.”
The latest report finds that during 2016, the mobile industry increased its impact across all 17 SDGs, with the greatest improvement in SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-being), SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities), and SDG 13 (Climate Action). The study identified three key trends that contributed to this positive progress:
- Better Networks – Mobile operators have invested heavily in expanding infrastructure and improving quality of service. As of the end of 2016, more than half the world’s population was within reach of a 4G network, while nearly 85 per cent had access to 3G networks. With broader coverage, improved network quality and increased resilience, mobile networks also play a critical role before and during epidemics, conflicts and natural or climate-related disasters, supporting emergency communication and broadcast services and providing accurate and timely information on the movement of affected populations.
- Greater Connectivity – Operators continue to connect the unconnected. At the end of 2016, the total number of mobile subscribers reached 4.8 billion and 3.5 billion people used mobile to access the internet. The benefits of this are wide-ranging, with connectivity driving improvements in economic growth through improved productivity, infrastructure development and efficiency. Operators have been particularly proactive in pursuing more innovative solutions to roll out mobile networks in remote areas, making mobile services more affordable to the poorest individuals and driving efforts to accelerate digital inclusion for women.
- Increased Use of Mobile – Users are becoming increasingly sophisticated in how they use mobile devices and are starting to access more advanced mobile-enabled services. In 2016, the number of registered mobile money accounts surpassed half a billion, giving users greater access to financial services that enable them to make investments and manage expenses. Additionally, the number of social media users on mobile reached 2.5 billion, helping promote social and political inclusion and facilitating the development of education networks.
Overall, the industry’s contribution was the strongest around SDG 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure), SDG 13 (Climate Action), and SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities). Even with this positive momentum, mobile operators and the broader mobile ecosystem still have much to do to contribute to achieving the SDGs. In the report, the GSMA outlined several commitments and initiatives that the industry will be focusing on over the next year to drive further progress against the SDGs, including:
- Big Data for Social Good – This initiative leverages mobile operators’ big data capabilities to address humanitarian crises, including epidemics and natural disasters.
- National Dialogues for Digital Impact – This initiative focuses on delivering the SDGs at a local level, through work with key government ministries and leaders of the mobile industry.
- We Care Campaign – In Latin America and the Caribbean, 45 mobile operators in 13 countries have joined forces to ensure that users can enjoy the transformative benefits of mobile technology in a safe and reliable environment.
- Connected Women Commitment Initiative – This initiative supports mobile operator efforts in low- and middle-income countries to reduce the gender gap in mobile internet and mobile money by 2020.
- IoT Big Data - The GSMA is working to establish an IoT Big Data Ecosystem to encourage a common approach to data sharing that will help IoT realise its full potential and encourage the development of new projects across transport, the environment and smart cities.
- GSMA Mobile for Development Initiatives – Working with a range of stakeholders, GSMA Mobile for Development is leading a number of projects to drive progress across the SDGs, in areas such as disaster response, mobile money, utilities, agriculture and health, among others.
- Partnerships for the Goals – Partnerships with different entities, including the UN, will look at new business models and mechanisms to support the implementation of the SDGs, and engage governments and mobile industry leaders to increase the positive social impact of mobile technologies.
“From services such as mobile money and mobile agriculture, to the Internet of Things and the 5G networks of the future, we’re making a difference to the lives of people around the world and helping to preserve and protect our planet,” continued Granryd. “Of course, this is not something we can accomplish alone as individuals, as companies, even as an industry; we must work together, united, to make the 2030 agenda a reality.”
To download the 2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals, as well as other resources, visit: www.gsma.com/2017sdgimpactreport.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
For more information, please visit the GSMA corporate website at www.gsma.com. Follow the GSMA on Twitter: @GSMA.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista ensimmäisten joukossa? Kun tilaat mediatiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi välittömästi julkaisuhetkellä. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Guy Carpenter Names Ross Howard Vice Chairman20.11.2018 20:46 | Tiedote
Guy Carpenter & Company, LLC, a leading global risk and reinsurance specialist and a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), today announced a new leadership appointment from the Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group plc (JLT) reinsurance organization. Effective upon closing of the transaction between Guy Carpenter’s parent company, Marsh & McLennan Companies and JLT, which remains subject to the receipt of certain antitrust and financial regulatory approvals, Ross Howard, Chairman of JLT Re, will become Vice Chairman of Guy Carpenter, reporting to President & CEO Peter Hearn. Mr. Howard will also become a member of Guy Carpenter’s Executive Committee and will be responsible for developing new business opportunities and assisting with client relationships in order to continue the growth of the combined global reinsurance business. Additionally, Mr. Howard will also play a key role in executing the integration of JLT Re with Guy Carpenter. “We are very excited to take
IDEMIA Will Present Its 2018 Quarterly Financial Results to Investors on November 21, 201820.11.2018 20:31 | Tiedote
IDEMIA, the world leader in Augmented Identity, today announced that it will present its Q3 2018 financial results to investors on Wednesday November 21, 2018. Yann Delabrière (CEO), Frédéric Beylier (COO) and Laurent Lemaire (CFO) will be presenting the financial results and taking questions the same day at 1:00 pm CET (12:00 pm London Time / 7:00 am New York Time). For more information, please refer to our website: http://investors.oberthur.com About IDEMIA OT-Morpho is now IDEMIA, the global leader in Augmented Identity, with the ambition to empower citizens and consumers alike to interact, pay, connect, travel and vote in ways that are now possible in a connected environment. Securing our identity has become mission critical in the world we live in today. By standing for Augmented Identity, we reinvent the way we think, produce, use and protect this asset, whether for individuals or for objects. We ensure privacy and trust as well as guarantee secure, authenticated and verifiable t
OCP Announces Date of Third Quarter 2018 Earnings20.11.2018 20:00 | Tiedote
OCP S.A. (“OCP” or the “Company”), a global leader in the fertilizer industry, will release its third quarter 2018 results on Thursday, November 29, 2018. The results will be available to holders of the Company’s bonds, qualified institutional buyers, securities analysts and market makers on the OCP Intralinks portal from 8:30 a.m. EST, 2:30 p.m. Morocco time (GMT+1), and 1:30 p.m. London time (GMT). OCP senior management will host a conference call to discuss third quarter 2018 results at 9:30 a.m. EST, 3:30 p.m. Morocco time (GMT+1), and 2:30 p.m. London time (GMT) on Thursday, November 29, 2018 for holders of the Company’s bonds, qualified institutional buyers, securities analysts and market makers. Eligible parties that have not already registered for access to the Intralinks portal may do so by contacting the Investor Relations Department by emailing email@example.com About OCP OCP is a global leader in the fertilizer industry, backed by almost a century’s production history. O
Arch Insurance Announces Strategic Leadership Changes20.11.2018 18:50 | Tiedote
Arch Insurance (“Arch”) today announced Hugh Sturgess will assume the role of Chief Executive Officer, Arch Insurance International, effective Jan. 1, 2019, subject to regulatory approvals. Arch Insurance International includes Arch’s insurance operations in Europe, Bermuda and Australia. Mr. Sturgess has been with Arch Insurance since 2005 and is currently President and CEO of Arch Insurance Canada Ltd., where he has strategic and operational responsibility for a multi-line underwriting portfolio. Before joining Arch, Mr. Sturgess held various roles in the financial services industry, including tenures with the Royal Bank of Canada and Chubb Insurance Company of Canada. “Arch Insurance International underwrites a diverse portfolio of specialty insurance solutions across a number of geographies, with a key focus on providing value to our distribution partners and customers,” Mr. Sturgess said. “I look forward to the opportunity to work with our team in continuing to expand the value pr
Takeda Receives Clearance from the European Commission for the Proposed Acquisition of Shire plc20.11.2018 17:33 | Tiedote
NOT FOR RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN ANY JURISDICTION WHERE TO DO SO WOULD CONSTITUTE A VIOLATION OF THE RELEVANT LAWS OF SUCH JURISDICTION Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (“Takeda”) announces that it has received clearance from the European Commission (the “EC”) for the proposed acquisition of Shire plc (“Shire”) announced on May 8, 2018 (the “Acquisition”). The EC’s approval is conditional on Takeda and Shire fulfilling commitments given to the EC in connection with the clearance. Specifically, in relation to the future potential overlap in the area of inflammatory bowel diseases between Takeda’s marketed product Entyvio (vedolizumab) and Shire’s pipeline compound SHP647, Takeda and Shire have committed to divest the pipeline compound SHP647 and certain associated rights. The divestment of SHP647 and certain associated rights is not a condition to the completion of the Acquisition. SHP647 is an exciting pipeline compound
ResMed Elects Harjit Gill to Its Board of Directors20.11.2018 17:05 | Tiedote
ResMed (NYSE: RMD, ASX: RMD), a leader in cloud-connected medical devices and out-of-hospital software-as-a-service business solutions, today announced it has elected experienced consumer and healthcare executive Harjit Gill to its Board of Directors. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181120005179/en/ Harjit Gill, BA (Photo: Business Wire) Ms. Gill was elected by shareholders at its annual shareholder meeting last week in Sydney, Australia. Also, announced at that meeting, Gary W. Pace has retired from ResMed’s board after serving on it since July 1994. Ms. Gill’s appointment and Dr. Pace’s retirement both took effect Thursday, November 15. Ms. Gill has more than 25 years’ experience in health and consumer technology products as an executive, investor and regional business leader spanning Asia, Europe and the Middle East. From 1990 to 2015, she worked for Royal Philips as executive vice president and CEO for Phi
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme