New GSMA Report Highlights Mobile Industry Progress in Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
At the United Nations General Assembly Week, the GSMA today published the ‘2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals’, the second annual study assessing the mobile industry’s impact in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In addition to measuring the progress that the mobile industry is making against the SDGs, the report also noted several commitments and initiatives that the GSMA and its members will focus on delivering over the next year, contributing to further success with the SDGs.
“Mobile operators around the world are working to deploy mobile-enabled solutions that drive greater inclusion in cities and remote communities, enable access to essential services such as health and education, create employment opportunities and empower people with the tools to reduce poverty and inequality,” said Mats Granryd, Director General, GSMA. “I am proud of the strong progress that we are making, but we must continue to amplify and accelerate our collective efforts to realise the promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.”
The latest report finds that during 2016, the mobile industry increased its impact across all 17 SDGs, with the greatest improvement in SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-being), SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities), and SDG 13 (Climate Action). The study identified three key trends that contributed to this positive progress:
- Better Networks – Mobile operators have invested heavily in expanding infrastructure and improving quality of service. As of the end of 2016, more than half the world’s population was within reach of a 4G network, while nearly 85 per cent had access to 3G networks. With broader coverage, improved network quality and increased resilience, mobile networks also play a critical role before and during epidemics, conflicts and natural or climate-related disasters, supporting emergency communication and broadcast services and providing accurate and timely information on the movement of affected populations.
- Greater Connectivity – Operators continue to connect the unconnected. At the end of 2016, the total number of mobile subscribers reached 4.8 billion and 3.5 billion people used mobile to access the internet. The benefits of this are wide-ranging, with connectivity driving improvements in economic growth through improved productivity, infrastructure development and efficiency. Operators have been particularly proactive in pursuing more innovative solutions to roll out mobile networks in remote areas, making mobile services more affordable to the poorest individuals and driving efforts to accelerate digital inclusion for women.
- Increased Use of Mobile – Users are becoming increasingly sophisticated in how they use mobile devices and are starting to access more advanced mobile-enabled services. In 2016, the number of registered mobile money accounts surpassed half a billion, giving users greater access to financial services that enable them to make investments and manage expenses. Additionally, the number of social media users on mobile reached 2.5 billion, helping promote social and political inclusion and facilitating the development of education networks.
Overall, the industry’s contribution was the strongest around SDG 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure), SDG 13 (Climate Action), and SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities). Even with this positive momentum, mobile operators and the broader mobile ecosystem still have much to do to contribute to achieving the SDGs. In the report, the GSMA outlined several commitments and initiatives that the industry will be focusing on over the next year to drive further progress against the SDGs, including:
- Big Data for Social Good – This initiative leverages mobile operators’ big data capabilities to address humanitarian crises, including epidemics and natural disasters.
- National Dialogues for Digital Impact – This initiative focuses on delivering the SDGs at a local level, through work with key government ministries and leaders of the mobile industry.
- We Care Campaign – In Latin America and the Caribbean, 45 mobile operators in 13 countries have joined forces to ensure that users can enjoy the transformative benefits of mobile technology in a safe and reliable environment.
- Connected Women Commitment Initiative – This initiative supports mobile operator efforts in low- and middle-income countries to reduce the gender gap in mobile internet and mobile money by 2020.
- IoT Big Data - The GSMA is working to establish an IoT Big Data Ecosystem to encourage a common approach to data sharing that will help IoT realise its full potential and encourage the development of new projects across transport, the environment and smart cities.
- GSMA Mobile for Development Initiatives – Working with a range of stakeholders, GSMA Mobile for Development is leading a number of projects to drive progress across the SDGs, in areas such as disaster response, mobile money, utilities, agriculture and health, among others.
- Partnerships for the Goals – Partnerships with different entities, including the UN, will look at new business models and mechanisms to support the implementation of the SDGs, and engage governments and mobile industry leaders to increase the positive social impact of mobile technologies.
“From services such as mobile money and mobile agriculture, to the Internet of Things and the 5G networks of the future, we’re making a difference to the lives of people around the world and helping to preserve and protect our planet,” continued Granryd. “Of course, this is not something we can accomplish alone as individuals, as companies, even as an industry; we must work together, united, to make the 2030 agenda a reality.”
To download the 2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals, as well as other resources, visit: www.gsma.com/2017sdgimpactreport.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
For more information, please visit the GSMA corporate website at www.gsma.com. Follow the GSMA on Twitter: @GSMA.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Bella Hadid Headlines True Religion’s Latest Campaign20.8.2018 15:32 | Tiedote
True Religion has tapped Bella Hadid to be the face of the brand. The supermodel embodies all things True Religion, past, present and future; iconic, edgy and everlasting. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180820005283/en/ Bella Hadid Headlines True Religion’s Latest Campaign (Photo: Business Wire) An inherit fan of the brand, Bella was the natural choice to meld the iconic essence of the brand with the modern view of its future. An all-star team was assembled including photographer Boo George, stylist Mimi Cuttrell, and hair and makeup duo Jen Atkin and Mary Phillips to create imagery and complementary looks that usher True Religion into a new era that honors the heritage of the brand. A quintessential, confident LA girl with roots at home and abroad, Bella’s voice was not only an inspiration, but an integral part in imagining this campaign, envisioning the brand through her eyes for the next generation of True
FRISS Brings Claim Fraud Analysis to a Next Level With Web-IQ´s Innovative Online Network Solution20.8.2018 14:30 | Tiedote
Asking your neighbor or friend to sign as a witness to a claim for car damages at your insurance company will work no more, with the new Claim Fraud Analysis feature of FRISS. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180820005039/en/ Eldert van Wijngaarden (Web-IQ) and Philip van Waning (FRISS) shaking hands. (Photo: Business Wire) FRISS, the worldwide provider of AI powered fraud and risk solutions for the P&C insurance industry, recently added a new and innovative feature in their fraud analytics solution: Online Network Analysis from Web-IQ. This feature automatically identifies if the claimants and the insured or other involved persons are related to each other in an on-line environment. This is a proven and strong indicator for fraudulent claims. Especially with car accidents and other types of claims where multiple persons are involved, it adds a whole new approach to the traditional claim analyses. “Research sho
Veristat Congratulates Alnylam on the FDA Approval of ONPATTRO™ (patisiran)20.8.2018 14:30 | Tiedote
Veristat, a full service Clinical Research Organization (CRO), congratulates Alnylam on the recent FDA approval of ONPATTRO™ (patisiran), a lipid complex injection for the treatment of the polyneuropathy of hereditary transthyretin-mediated (hATTR) amyloidosis in adults. “On behalf of the entire Veristat team that has supported Alnylam in the development of this therapy, we are humbled to have contributed towards this first-in-class drug approval for Alnylam, for the patients with hATTR amyloidosis and their families,” said John P. Balser, Ph.D., President and Co-Founder of Veristat. “We are continuing to support Alnylam as they look to expand regulatory approval of this treatment to other regions of the world.” Veristat began working with Alnylam over 11 years ago and helped design the studies and prepare the Investigational New Drug (IND) submission for patisiran. Our collaboration continued throughout the entire patisiran program inclusive of a phase 2 study, a phase 3 pivotal study
Global IBC Future Zone and IABM Future Trends Theatre to Explore the Latest Tech Shaping the Industry20.8.2018 14:18 | Tiedote
IBC2018, the world’s most influential media, entertainment and technology show, today announces the line-up for the IBC Future Zone and IABM Future Trends Theatre. Well established as part of the IBC Exhibition, from 14-18 September, the Future Zone brings together the very latest ideas, innovations and concept technologies from international industry and academia and showcases them in a single specially-curated area sitting alongside exhibition Hall 8. This year, the focus is on showing how new technologies grow from their first inception and progress through to research, development, and validation projects; right through to maturing into the ground-breaking applications and future product standards. Major industry trail-blazers presenting their visions of the future, include Japan’s NHK and BBC R&D from the UK. Both companies will demonstrate a number of technology advances, including: Web-VR applications; object-based media scenarios; pathways to 8K resolution for UHD; and Artifici
Ocean Ambassador of the Netherlands Joins Endowment for Clean Ocean’s Entrepreneur Judges Committee20.8.2018 14:07 | Tiedote
The Endowment for Clean Oceans (ECO) announced Willemijn Peeters, Ocean Ambassador of the Netherlands and the Founding Director of Searious Business has joined ECO’s Entrepreneur Committee that will vet contestants’ plans to remove macro and micro plastics from the world’s oceans. “I am working to solve the problem of what to do with the plastic once it is removed from the ocean, by helping to create a market for plastic recovered from the ocean,” said Peeters. “Just like we need to end the use of single use plastic, we need to replace the manufacture of virgin plastic and replace it with recycled plastics, and as much as possible needs to be plastic recovered from the ocean.” View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180820005004/en/ Contact information The Endowment for Clean Oceans Daniel Perrin Daniel.Perrin@endowmentforcleanoceans.org or firstname.lastname@example.org
HeartSciences Showcases MyoVista® Wavelet ECG at 2018 European Society of Cardiology Congress (ESC)20.8.2018 14:00 | Tiedote
HeartSciences, a medical device company developing next generation ECG devices using continuous wavelet transform (CWT) signal processing and artificial intelligence, is proud to announce its participation as an exhibitor at the upcoming 2018 European Society of Cardiology Congress (ESC). The Congress will take place at Messe Munich International in Munich, Germany and will run from August 25 to August 29, 2018. HeartSciences will highlight its MyoVista® Wavelet ECG (wavECG™) Cardiac Testing Device as well as recent clinical study results published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology (JACC) This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180820005047/en/ MyoVista Wavelet ECG 12-Lead Cardiac Testing Device (Photo: Business Wire) The JACC article titled “Prediction of Abnormal Myocardial Relaxation from Signal Processed Surface ECG” presented the results from the investigator-initiated clinical study that focus
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme