Philip Morris International Announces Unconditional Offer for Vectura Group PLC
PMI Global Services Inc. (PMI) (NYSE: PM) today announced that its offer for Vectura Group plc (Vectura) (LSE: VEC) has become unconditional, having received valid acceptances for or acquired 74.77 % of Vectura shares, in excess of the 50% required under the acceptance condition, as well as confirming that all other conditions to the offer have been satisfied or waived. PMI has extended the offer to allow for the tender of further shares.
“We have reached an important milestone in our acquisition of Vectura and are pleased to have secured over 74% of the company’s shares, in excess of the 50% required to make our offer unconditional and PMI the majority shareholder," said PMI’s Chief Executive Officer, Jacek Olczak. "We are very excited about the critical role Vectura will play in our Beyond Nicotine strategy and look forward to working with Vectura’s scientists and providing them with the resources and expertise to grow their business to help us achieve our goal of generating at least $1 billion in net revenues from Beyond Nicotine products by 2025.”
PMI’s proposed acquisition of Vectura is part of its long-term strategy to move Beyond Nicotine and will provide support for Vectura’s continued growth.
- PMI will build on its leading scientific capabilities to develop products and services that go Beyond Nicotine. PMI aims to achieve at least $1 billion in annual net revenues from Beyond Nicotine sources by 2025.
- PMI’s business model and strategy are driven by a long-term commitment to the transformation of its business. Since 2008, PMI has invested $8.1 billion in the research, development, and commercialization of new smoke-free products for adults who would otherwise continue to smoke. PMI’s track record of investing in innovation exemplifies its commitment to invest the time and resources it takes to allow for scientific innovation of better products. In its Statement of Purpose released in 2020, PMI reaffirmed its commitment to transformation and serving stakeholders.
- PMI's commitment to transform itself requires an evolution into adjacent business areas while applying its significant expertise in inhalation science to address unmet medical and consumer needs by delivering medical and wellness products that improve people's lives. This is a change that, like for so many other companies, reflects the need to transform to address the impacts of business on society and to move towards a net positive future, taking ESG as a key input into a sustainable strategy.
- PMI’s Beyond Nicotine strategy is built on two key growth areas: (1) inhaled therapeutics, where it has already committed resources to its development pipeline of inhaled over-the-counter and prescription drugs; and (2) developing and commercializing scientifically substantiated consumer health products and solutions that improve people’s lives in areas like energy, sleep, calm, and focus.
- PMI has the resources, commitment, and patience to advance Vectura’s existing strategy, further it geographically, and extend into the development of proprietary inhaled therapeutic products, alongside the existing contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) business. The market for inhaled therapeutics is growing rapidly, with significant potential to expand into new application areas beyond the current market offering. With PMI’s support, Vectura is well-positioned to address this market growth.
- PMI intends to ensure Vectura remains a trusted partner in the pharmaceutical industry for the development of inhaled therapeutic products, providing the best possible treatments for providers, prescribers, and their patients. PMI strongly supports and is aligned with Vectura’s strategy of delivering drugs through inhalation using innovative technologies that can effectively address many of today’s unmet medical needs recognizing that the inhalation mode of administration allows for fast systemic absorption, potential fast onset of effect, and a better safety profile due to the lower dose needed compared to the standard of care today.
- PMI intends to increase the total level of expenditure on research and development and believes that this will further benefit Vectura’s differentiated technologies and development expertise for the delivery of complex inhaled therapeutics, helping to bring the initial pipeline of Beyond Nicotine concepts that PMI has developed or acquired to market. This will exemplify PMI’s strategy and give increased confidence in its transformation to the scientific community and to the public. Beyond supporting Vectura’s growth, PMI believes these investments will support the scientific ecosystem in the U.K. for the longer term, in line with the U.K.’s life sciences strategy and in keeping with the U.K.’s position as a major scientific innovator.
- Operating Vectura as an autonomous business unit forming the backbone of its inhaled therapeutics business, PMI believes Vectura will have the opportunity and tools to undertake the end-to-end development of inhalable drug-device combinations and will provide access to PMI’s capabilities in areas such as pre-clinical safety, clinical development, regulatory affairs, drug safety, market access, and global reach.
- We look forward to working with Vectura’s scientists to establish a governance structure that supports its ongoing scientific efforts.
Vectura is a provider of innovative inhaled drug delivery solutions that enable partners to bring their medicines to patients. The company has 13 key inhaled products and 11 non-inhaled products marketed by major global pharmaceutical partners, as well as a diverse portfolio of partnerships for drugs in clinical development. In 2020, Vectura generated net revenues of GBP 191 million (approximately $245 million). The transaction value represents a multiple of around 15 times Vectura’s 2020 EBITDA.
PMI expects the impact of the acquisition on its full-year 2021 adjusted diluted EPS to be immaterial.
Forward-Looking and Cautionary Statements
Statements in this press release that are not strictly historical, including statements regarding the acquisition of Vectura, the expected timetable for completing the transaction, future financial and operating results, benefits and synergies of the transaction, future opportunities for the combined businesses, and any other statements regarding events or developments that we believe or anticipate will or may occur in the future, may be “forward- looking” statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, and involve a number of risks and uncertainties.
There are a number of important factors that could cause actual events to differ materially from those suggested or indicated by such forward-looking statements, and you should not place undue reliance on any such forward-looking statements. These factors include risks and uncertainties related to, among other things: (1) the possibility that the integration of Vectura and its operations with those of PMI may be more difficult and/or take longer than anticipated, and may not accelerate PMI’s desired entry into additional smoke-free and Beyond Nicotine platforms as quickly as anticipated; (2) the possibility that Vectura’s integration into PMI may be more costly than anticipated and may have unanticipated adverse results relating to Vectura or PMI’s existing businesses; (3) the inability to consummate the acquisition in a timely manner; (4) the inability to complete the acquisition of 100% of the shares in Vectura; (5) the inability to gain access to differentiated proprietary technology and pharmaceutical development expertise as anticipated by the acquisition of Vectura; (6) the effect of the announcement of PMI’s acquisition of Vectura on PMI’s, Vectura’s, or the combined company’s respective business relationships, operating results, and business generally; (7) risks associated with third-party contracts containing consent and/or other provisions that may be triggered by the proposed acquisition; (8) negative effects of the announcement or the consummation of the acquisition on the market price of PMI’s common stock; (9) the ability of PMI to hire and/or retain key personnel of Vectura; and (10) other factors that may affect future results of the combined company described in the section entitled “Risk Factors” in PMI’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2020, PMI’s Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2021, and other filings of PMI with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The forward-looking statements made herein speak only as of the date hereof, and PMI does not assume any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events and developments, or otherwise, except as required by law.
Philip Morris International: Delivering a Smoke-Free Future
Philip Morris International (PMI) is leading a transformation in the tobacco industry to create a smoke-free future and ultimately replace cigarettes with smoke-free products to the benefit of adults who would otherwise continue to smoke, society, the company, its shareholders and its other stakeholders. PMI is a leading international tobacco company engaged in the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, as well as smoke-free products, associated electronic devices and accessories, and other nicotine-containing products in markets outside the U.S. In addition, PMI ships versions of its IQOS Platform 1 device and consumables to Altria Group, Inc. for sale under license in the U.S., where these products have received marketing authorizations from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the premarket tobacco product application (PMTA) pathway; the FDA has also authorized the marketing of a version of IQOS and its consumables as a Modified Risk Tobacco Product (MRTP), finding that an exposure modification order for these products is appropriate to promote the public health. PMI is building a future on a new category of smoke-free products that, while not risk-free, are a much better choice than continuing to smoke. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities and scientific substantiation, PMI aims to ensure that its smoke-free products meet adult consumer preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements. PMI’s smoke-free product portfolio includes heat-not-burn and nicotine-containing vapor products. As of June 30, 2021, PMI’s smoke-free products are available for sale in 67 markets in key cities or nationwide, and PMI estimates that approximately 14.7 million adults around the world have already switched to IQOS and stopped smoking. For more information, please visit www.pmi.com and www.pmiscience.com.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Philip Morris International
Philip Morris International
T. +41 (0)79 843 8603
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Liuzhou Steel Group Automates Bulk Material Handling with 3D LiDAR Solution from Quanergy21.10.2021 13:00:00 EEST | Press release
Quanergy Systems, Inc., a leading provider of OPA-based solid state LiDAR sensors and smart 3D solutions for automotive and IoT, today announced its latest achievement in industrial automation with the deployment of its 3D LiDAR solutions for heavy machinery operation in China. Collaborating with Hunan Qiaokang Bridge Health Intelligent Technology and Liuzhou Bierte Industrial Intelligent Technology, the solution provides highly accurate 3D modeling of bulk material piles to enable safe, efficient operation of heavy machinery. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211021005049/en/ Liuzhou Steel Group Automates Bulk Material Handling with 3D LiDAR Solution from Quanergy (Graphic: Business Wire) Deployed at the Liuzhou Steel Group in Liuzhou City, Guangxi Province, China, Quanergy’s M-Series LiDAR sensors provide accurate, real-time 3D modeling of bulk material piles to guide and position a heavy bulk wheel piling and
Croma-Pharma Expands Successful Mask Range With Face Masks for Different Areas of Application21.10.2021 12:38:00 EEST | Press release
Croma-Pharma (Croma) announced today the expansion of its successful mask portfolio. The carefully selected ingredients of each formulation, as well as the sheet material, are tailored to specific application areas and skin needs. The products have a pleasant texture and are suitable for all skin types. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211021005468/en/ @Croma (Photo: Business Wire) The right mask for every need The Croma mask portfolio offers two full face masks, as well as masks for specific areas of the face including the eyes, lips, and laugh lines. Calming face mask with aloe vera, green tea and rosehip oil The Croma calming face mask contains ingredients known for their antioxidant and soothing effects, as well as skin-regenerating properties. It replenishes the skin with vitamins and helps to protect against harmful environmental influences. Regular use may help to strengthen the skin barrier and provides
DentalMonitoring, the Leading AI-Based Dental Software Company, Announces a $150 Million Growth Financing, Reaching a Valuation Over $1 Billion21.10.2021 12:22:00 EEST | Press release
DentalMonitoring has become the first dental software company to attain a valuation over $1 billion announcing a $150 million growth financing. The round is led by a new investment of $90 million from Mérieux Equity Partners and $60 million from Vitruvian Partners, an existing financial investor, demonstrating confidence in the company’s ambitious plans. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211021005463/en/ DentalMonitoring Since CEO and co-founder Philippe Salah launched the company in 2014, DentalMonitoring has become the first player to harness AI for remote monitoring in the dental and orthodontic fields. Driven by the treating doctor, DentalMonitoring’s AI automates messages and instructions sent to patients and practice staff to synchronize the delivery of care with the need of care. DentalMonitoring is also the first and only company offering virtual practice solutions for all dental professionals to help st
RIDDLE&CODE and Blockdaemon Join Forces to Unlock Next-Gen Industrial Tokenization Services21.10.2021 11:15:00 EEST | Press release
Leading European blockchain interface company RIDDLE&CODE and the largest crypto infrastructure platform for node management and staking Blockdaemon, announced today a strategic, long-term partnership that will focus on delivering next-gen industrial tokenization services. RIDDLE&CODE will integrate Blockdaemon's premium full node services to scale and enhance the tokenization capabilities of its Token Management Platform. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211021005053/en/ Tokenization is potentially the largest use case of blockchain that unlocks illiquid assets, simplifies their transfer and enables companies to expand and diversify portfolios. With a value that could exceed $24 trillion by 2027, it offers a range of benefits, including the development of new business models such as fractional ownership, sale and purchase of assets without middlemen, greater operational efficiency and overcoming geographic res
New Moody's ESG Solutions Tool Helps Meet EU Taxonomy Requirements21.10.2021 11:06:00 EEST | Press release
Moody’s ESG Solutions today launched EU Taxonomy Alignment Screening, a new data solution to help market participants meet the disclosure requirements of the European Union’s (EU) Taxonomy regulation. Moody’s built its tool from the ground up, an approach that sets the solution apart in this space and ensures that the underlying data is as closely aligned to the technical criteria of the EU Taxonomy as possible. "The responsible investment landscape is continually evolving due to new standards for disclosure practices and demand for ESG-labelled products,” said Sabine Lochmann, Global Head of Moody’s ESG Measures. “EU Taxonomy Alignment Screening is the latest addition to our suite of regulatory data solutions, which help market participants navigate regulatory requirements, create innovative financial products, and support efforts to build a more sustainable economy.” The EU Taxonomy provides a first-of-its-kind classification system for identifying environmentally sustainable activit
New Report from Gemserv and tado° Shows Smart Thermostats Most Cost Effective and Scalable Way to Decarbonise Homes in the EU’s Green Deal Renovation Wave21.10.2021 11:00:00 EEST | Press release
With heating and cooling of homes accounting for 21% of the EU’s energy consumption, European housing stock urgently needs decarbonising in order to lower emissions 55% by 2030 and achieve net-zero1 according to a new report from Gemserv and tado°. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211021005179/en/ Smart thermostats deliver over ten times as much annual carbon savings per €100 of up-front cost compared to the next best measure, an important factor in consumer decision-making. (Graphic: Business Wire) To realise these goals and reduce CO2 emissions, approximately €600 billion has been reserved in the EU’s Green Deal funds2. Decarbonisation is a huge challenge for governments across Europe, and any spending must be used as effectively and efficiently to not incur higher costs to the taxpayer. A new report produced by research consultancy Gemserv looked at the four most common methods of decarbonising homes in Euro
Gaïa Rating - New Award for ESI Group's ESG Commitment21.10.2021 09:00:00 EEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Gaïa Research, a service of EthiFinance and a major player in the field of ESG rating (environment, social and governance) of French mid-sized listed companies, has awarded ESI Group (Paris:ESI), a global player in virtual prototyping, committed to a cleaner, safer, and more productive industry, the first Gaïa 2021 prize in the category of mid-cap companies with annual revenues under €150 million. This award received during the ceremony held on October 19th, 2021 in Paris, illustrates the efforts made by the Group to continuously improve its CSR commitments (social, societal, and environmental). 2021 was shaped by several significant actions for ESI Group, both within its governance, its environmental commitments, some in collaboration with Reforest'Action, and above all, with initiatives dedicated to its employees. Particularly shaken by the Covid-19 health crisis, the work-life balance was a field of action for ESI Group, which employs 1,200 people in about 20 countr
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom