QS Enrolment Solutions’ New Research Reveals Opportunities For European Universities To Celebrate, Measure and Communicate Teaching Quality
European universities must harness the opportunities presented by international students’ expectations, according to a new report from QS Enrolment Solutions, the student recruitment and retention solutions company. The unique survey spoke to 67,172 prospective international students, 28,838 of whom were considering studying in the following European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Spain, the Czech Republic and Latvia. The report argues that for Europe to maintain its status as a leading destination for Higher Education it must place greater emphasis on digital delivery and look at new ways to evaluate the quality of teaching at universities.
The Harnessing Opportunities in Global Higher Education report by QS Enrolment Solutions launched today (10 May 2018) is the sixth annual International Student Survey (ISS) by QS Enrolment Solutions – the largest of its kind – surveyed students from 191 countries who plan to study abroad.
Celebrating, measuring and communicating the quality of teaching
Teaching quality is of the utmost importance for prospective international students choosing between different institutions:
- The biggest indicator of teaching quality for international students is the university’s teaching staff, followed by having up-to-date technology.
- According to the international students surveyed, the top indicator of a good quality lecturer is that academic staff are passionate about the subject they teach, followed by them having ‘real-world’ experience extending beyond academia. The third biggest indicator of teaching quality in a lecturer is receiving positive reviews from students.
International students are increasingly looking to country-wide measurement schemes as a way of judging teaching quality, like the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in the UK:
- Among prospective international students, 68% claimed an equivalent of the TEF in other countries would increase the likelihood of them studying there, showing how much they value the ability to easily compare teaching quality between numerous institutions.
- Many prospective international students believe that performance in country-wide measurement schemes, such as the TEF, are a bigger indicator of teaching quality than performing well in some forms of rankings and league tables.
Andy Nicol, Managing Director of QS Enrolment Solutions said: “European Universities should continue to develop strategic approaches to international student recruitment, harnessing the opportunities available within the global Higher Education market. Our research has found that academic staff are one of universities’ biggest assets in recruiting international students. To effectively attract international students, universities should highlight the passion their staff have for the subjects they teach, and how their ‘real-world’ experience can prepare prospective students for their career post-university.
“The emphasis that international students place on teaching quality, and the measurement of it, presents policymakers and higher education markets across Europe with the opportunity to consider the possibility of introducing country-wide measurement schemes to evaluate teaching quality in any given country. In doing so, European markets may open themselves up to large groups of prospective students for whom teaching quality is their top priority.”
Harnessing the opportunities presented by international students’ expectations of the future of Higher Education
International students expect universities of the future to offer a very different experience to the universities of today where they envisage that the Higher Education sector will place far greater emphasis on digital delivery with most lectures being online. Those surveyed also said they see a positive future for the sector with more institutions and more people going to university. The top five characteristics selected when asked about how the sector could look in 10 years’ time were:
- Most lectures will be online
- Students will be able to get a qualification from any university regardless of which country they live in
- More people will go to university
- Universities will be part of continuous learning
- There will be more universities
Patrick Whitfield, Director of UK & Europe at QS Enrolment Solutions: “As the changing political and socio-economic dynamics influence the views of potential applicants, universities should continue to listen closely to international students. Institutions that listen, adapt and differentiate their offer, while developing strategic approaches to international student recruitment, will harness the opportunities available within the global Higher Education market.”
- ENDS -
Note to Editors:
- With offices in Australia, Malaysia and the UK, QS Enrolment Solutions (formerly known as Hobsons Solutions) is a global market leader in research and understanding of international and domestic students. Each year we deal with hundreds of thousands of students globally, giving us a unique insight into the student recruitment market. Our research, strategy, enquiry, admissions and enrolment services mean we have hands-on experience of the obstacles and opportunities within specific countries and regions, helping clients mitigate risk, benefit from our existing relationships, and build sustainable recruitment strategies in an increasingly complex marketplace.
- The International Student Survey 2018 was conducted by QS Enrolment Solutions from November 2017 to March 2018. The International Student Survey is the world’s largest survey of pre-enrolment for international and EU students.
- QS Enrolment Solutions partnered with 63 universities from around the world to survey their prospective student database. The survey sampled 67,172 prospective international students globally, with 191 nationalities represented. The size of the data set along with the number and quality of the responses has enabled very robust student segmentation and insight into the influences of international student’s decision-making processes, how they engage with universities, and what they expect from universities in the lead up to making their final decision.
- This EU report focuses on the responses provided by 28,838 prospective international students who identified that they are considering studying in the following European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Spain, the Czech Republic and Latvia.
- Additional regional reports have been produced as part of this series, including reports focusing on the UK, and Australia & New Zealand, as well as a global report.
- QS Enrolment Solutions formerly operated under the name Hobsons Solutions. On 6 October 2017, QS Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd announced the acquisition of the Hobsons Solutions business, the leading provider of international enrolment management solutions to universities worldwide. The acquisition will allow QS, a leading and trusted brand in higher education research and student information services, to build on its global product offering and realise data and service synergies with the Hobsons Solutions portfolio. For more on the acquisition, see here: http://www.qs.com/faq-items/qs-acquisition_2017/.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista ensimmäisten joukossa? Kun tilaat mediatiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi välittömästi julkaisuhetkellä. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
IFF Recognized by SAM’s 2019 “Industry Mover” Sustainability Award16.2.2019 00:15:00 | Tiedote
Regulatory News: International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE: IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF) (TASE: IFF), was recognized for its sustainability efforts with the 2019 “Industry Mover” award from SAM, a subsidiary of RobecoSAM which specializes in providing environmental, social and governance (ESG) data, benchmarks and ratings. The recognition acknowledges the Company’s top-scoring performance in economic, social and environmental categories. “We are thrilled to receive this award from SAM,” said Andreas Fibig, IFF Chairman & CEO. “Our sustainability efforts are not only a key enabler of our overall strategy, but also a true passion here at IFF -- and we place it at the forefront of everything we do. It is deeply gratifying to have our work and our people recognized for doing the right thing for the planet.” SAM’s 2019 scoring is based on its 2018 Corporate Sustainability Assessment. Using a weighted methodology, SAM evaluates companies for criteria such as: codes of business conduct, ope
SFL: strong financial position and results in 2018, consolidating the Group’s position as a prime player15.2.2019 21:01:00 | Tiedote
Regulatory News: The financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2018 were approved by the Board of Directors of Société Foncière Lyonnaise (Paris:FLY) on 15 February 2019 at a meeting chaired by Juan José Brugera. 2018 business indicators were very robust, with further underlying growth in rental income and historically high EPRA earnings. The portfolio's appraisal value and the Company's net asset value also continued to grow, attesting to SFL’s excellent positioning. The auditors have completed their audit of the annual financial information and are in the process of issuing their report. Consolidated data (€ millions) 2018 2017 Change Rental income 193.5 195.8 -1.2% Adjusted operating profit* 162.1 164.1 -1.2% Attributable net profit 351.6 685.3 - EPRA earnings 106.7 102.4 +4.1% * Operating profit before disposal gains and losses and fair value adjustments 31/12/2018 31/12/2017 Change Attributable equity 4,010 3,763 +6.6% Consolidated portfolio value excluding transfer cost
5 Happening Cultural Destinations to Visit in 201915.2.2019 13:11:00 | Tiedote
Hong Kong There’s never really a sleepy year to visit Hong Kong, but 2019 is particularly ripe for visitors. Spearheaded by the dynamic entrepreneur Adrian Cheng of K11 and New World Development, the rejuvenation of Tsim Sha Tsui harbourfront is just the starting point. The city’s iconic harbourside walkway, Avenue of Stars, has just received a much-awaited makeover that’s the brainchild of Cheng and visually conceived by James Corner, the landscape architect responsible for the High Line in New York. It sees the addition of design-driven rest areas, kiosks featuring homegrown brands, hand prints from Asian film stars and interactive digital elements. Featuring Hong Kong’s first wave energy demonstrator that produces electricity for the Avenue, the place is turned into one of the most sustainable promenades in Hong Kong. This is just one part of Cheng and his company’s grander urban revitalisation plan, Victoria Dockside, a new art and design district which will fully open in the third
ISAE-SUPAERO Launches a New MOOC about Flight Mechanics15.2.2019 12:36:00 | Tiedote
"ABC of Flight Mechanics: How Do Planes Fly?": a MOOC dedicated to flight mechanics. The notion of flight often defies our human terrestrial instincts. How does an airplane fly? How can a pilot maintain control? How high in the sky can an aircraft climb? How does a fighter pilot fly while spinning? This online course (available in English) will cover many topics, such as atmospheric physics and Newton's laws applied to aircraft, as well as propulsion forces and longitudinal stability the question of traction. The MOOC "ABC of Flight Mechanics" is aimed at general public with a specific level of scientific knowledge. Nevertheless, various levels of learning are available, thus it allows all students to take the course without needing to plenty understand the mathematical principles. Undergraduate students in aerospace engineering, trainees as well as novice and experienced pilots, journalists and professionals in the aeronautics domain (business, engineering, marketing, communications,
REPLY: Red Reply Wins the Oracle “Partner of the Year Autonomous” Award15.2.2019 12:30:00 | Tiedote
Red Reply, the Reply group company that specialises in the Oracle Cloud IaaS and PaaS platform has been named as Oracle “Partner of the Year: Autonomous.” The award recognises Red Reply for its work as an Oracle Cloud Managed Service Provider Partner in developing highly innovative projects using the Oracle Autonomous Database technology. Red Reply has launched a project aimed at re-engineering the Policy Enterprise DataWarehouse of Verti Assicurazioni, company operating in the online insurance sector, using the Oracle Cloud Autonomous DataWarehouse service. The Autonomous DataWarehouse is a cloud-based database that uses machine learning to eliminate manual labour in operations such as tuning, security, backups, updates and other routine activities. This selected Oracle solution is the only one of its kind capable of addressing aspects such as security, performance and high availability of data, using automatic update and tuning mechanisms, while maximising the protection of data in l
Posiflex showcases new Interactive Self-Service Kiosks and IoT Retail Product Innovations at EuroCIS 201915.2.2019 11:00:00 | Tiedote
The Posiflex Group — a synergy of world-leading POS, kiosk, and industrial computing technologies — will introduce its full product portfolio and latest innovations at EuroCIS, the leading trade fair for retail technology, from February 19th – 21st in Düsseldorf. With a product strategy focus on serviced IoT, the Posiflex Group will be displaying smart and connected retail solutions with fully-integrated middleware, RMS (Remote Monitoring System) and hardware. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190215005008/en/ Posiflex at EuroCIS Hall 9 / C42 (Graphic: Business Wire) “I am excited to introduce the Posiflex Group portfolio to the European market,” says Hans Peter Nüdling, the newly appointed Chief Strategy Officer for the Posiflex Group. “The Posiflex Group references the collective brands of the corporation, including Posiflex, Portwell and KIOSK Information Systems (KIOSK) – all under one corporate umbrella. As
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme