QS Enrolment Solutions’ New Research Reveals Opportunities For European Universities To Celebrate, Measure and Communicate Teaching Quality
European universities must harness the opportunities presented by international students’ expectations, according to a new report from QS Enrolment Solutions, the student recruitment and retention solutions company. The unique survey spoke to 67,172 prospective international students, 28,838 of whom were considering studying in the following European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Spain, the Czech Republic and Latvia. The report argues that for Europe to maintain its status as a leading destination for Higher Education it must place greater emphasis on digital delivery and look at new ways to evaluate the quality of teaching at universities.
The Harnessing Opportunities in Global Higher Education report by QS Enrolment Solutions launched today (10 May 2018) is the sixth annual International Student Survey (ISS) by QS Enrolment Solutions – the largest of its kind – surveyed students from 191 countries who plan to study abroad.
Celebrating, measuring and communicating the quality of teaching
Teaching quality is of the utmost importance for prospective international students choosing between different institutions:
- The biggest indicator of teaching quality for international students is the university’s teaching staff, followed by having up-to-date technology.
- According to the international students surveyed, the top indicator of a good quality lecturer is that academic staff are passionate about the subject they teach, followed by them having ‘real-world’ experience extending beyond academia. The third biggest indicator of teaching quality in a lecturer is receiving positive reviews from students.
International students are increasingly looking to country-wide measurement schemes as a way of judging teaching quality, like the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in the UK:
- Among prospective international students, 68% claimed an equivalent of the TEF in other countries would increase the likelihood of them studying there, showing how much they value the ability to easily compare teaching quality between numerous institutions.
- Many prospective international students believe that performance in country-wide measurement schemes, such as the TEF, are a bigger indicator of teaching quality than performing well in some forms of rankings and league tables.
Andy Nicol, Managing Director of QS Enrolment Solutions said: “European Universities should continue to develop strategic approaches to international student recruitment, harnessing the opportunities available within the global Higher Education market. Our research has found that academic staff are one of universities’ biggest assets in recruiting international students. To effectively attract international students, universities should highlight the passion their staff have for the subjects they teach, and how their ‘real-world’ experience can prepare prospective students for their career post-university.
“The emphasis that international students place on teaching quality, and the measurement of it, presents policymakers and higher education markets across Europe with the opportunity to consider the possibility of introducing country-wide measurement schemes to evaluate teaching quality in any given country. In doing so, European markets may open themselves up to large groups of prospective students for whom teaching quality is their top priority.”
Harnessing the opportunities presented by international students’ expectations of the future of Higher Education
International students expect universities of the future to offer a very different experience to the universities of today where they envisage that the Higher Education sector will place far greater emphasis on digital delivery with most lectures being online. Those surveyed also said they see a positive future for the sector with more institutions and more people going to university. The top five characteristics selected when asked about how the sector could look in 10 years’ time were:
- Most lectures will be online
- Students will be able to get a qualification from any university regardless of which country they live in
- More people will go to university
- Universities will be part of continuous learning
- There will be more universities
Patrick Whitfield, Director of UK & Europe at QS Enrolment Solutions: “As the changing political and socio-economic dynamics influence the views of potential applicants, universities should continue to listen closely to international students. Institutions that listen, adapt and differentiate their offer, while developing strategic approaches to international student recruitment, will harness the opportunities available within the global Higher Education market.”
- ENDS -
Note to Editors:
- With offices in Australia, Malaysia and the UK, QS Enrolment Solutions (formerly known as Hobsons Solutions) is a global market leader in research and understanding of international and domestic students. Each year we deal with hundreds of thousands of students globally, giving us a unique insight into the student recruitment market. Our research, strategy, enquiry, admissions and enrolment services mean we have hands-on experience of the obstacles and opportunities within specific countries and regions, helping clients mitigate risk, benefit from our existing relationships, and build sustainable recruitment strategies in an increasingly complex marketplace.
- The International Student Survey 2018 was conducted by QS Enrolment Solutions from November 2017 to March 2018. The International Student Survey is the world’s largest survey of pre-enrolment for international and EU students.
- QS Enrolment Solutions partnered with 63 universities from around the world to survey their prospective student database. The survey sampled 67,172 prospective international students globally, with 191 nationalities represented. The size of the data set along with the number and quality of the responses has enabled very robust student segmentation and insight into the influences of international student’s decision-making processes, how they engage with universities, and what they expect from universities in the lead up to making their final decision.
- This EU report focuses on the responses provided by 28,838 prospective international students who identified that they are considering studying in the following European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Spain, the Czech Republic and Latvia.
- Additional regional reports have been produced as part of this series, including reports focusing on the UK, and Australia & New Zealand, as well as a global report.
- QS Enrolment Solutions formerly operated under the name Hobsons Solutions. On 6 October 2017, QS Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd announced the acquisition of the Hobsons Solutions business, the leading provider of international enrolment management solutions to universities worldwide. The acquisition will allow QS, a leading and trusted brand in higher education research and student information services, to build on its global product offering and realise data and service synergies with the Hobsons Solutions portfolio. For more on the acquisition, see here: http://www.qs.com/faq-items/qs-acquisition_2017/.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista jo ennen kuin ne uutisoidaan? Kun tilaat tiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi yhtä aikaa suomalaisen median kanssa. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
FlipNpik Opens Its Private Sale to Public and Introduces Fiat-Based Payment Gateway19.7.2018 11:00 | Tiedote
In an unprecedented move, FlipNpik, the blockchain-powered social media platform for local businesses, democratises its private sale and allows everyone to enjoy the privileges and bonuses traditionally reserved only for the large investors. Known as 'whales', these powerful investors typically enjoy large bonuses during the private sale phase of ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings). FlipNpik now turns this practice on its head by eliminating the large investment required to benefit from the 'whale' bonus, which offers up to 100% bonus of FNP (FlipNpik) tokens to the public, leveling the playing field for small investors. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180719005283/en/ Monetize your social media posts by supporting local shops (Graphic: Business Wire) Deploying one of the first fiat-based payment gateways using money transfers to facilitate ICO payments, FlipNpik also allows the larger community who may be new to bu
Pat Johnson Joins UniPrint Team in Europe19.7.2018 10:35 | Tiedote
UniPrint.net announced today that Pat Johnson has joined the company to support and develop their EMEA Partner Program, as well as with the promotion of their highly successful Cloud solutions UniPrint Infinity™ and ePRINTit™. Pat brings with him 20 years of experience at Xerox UK where he was instrumental in engaging with software vendors to support Xerox Connectkey products and Xerox Business Partner Channels. In joining UniPrint.net, Pat is well placed to support the continued growth of UniPrint.net EMEA Partners with the UniPrint product portfolio. Pat will hold the new position of MPS Partner & Strategy Manager EMEA, continuing UniPrint’s success in engaging valued business partners towards a modern approach for Software as a Service (SaaS) and Cloud printing solutions. Pat comments: “I am excited to start a new challenge within UniPrint.net and I look forward to working with the EMEA team to further develop their Partner Program. I am fortunate to be joining a respected company w
The Poseidon Foundation: Liverpool Bids to Be First ‘Climate Positive’ City by End of 202019.7.2018 10:34 | Tiedote
The Poseidon Foundation (“Poseidon”) have signed a ground-breaking partnership with Liverpool City Council in a bid to make Liverpool the world’s first climate positive city by the end of 2020. The city council has signed an agreement with Poseidon to integrate its ground-breaking blockchain-powered platform into Liverpool’s day to day operations. Poseidon’s technology offsets the carbon impact of any product or service by transparently supporting essential forest conservation projects, allowing individuals, organisations and governments to reverse the impact of climate change every day through their activities. Poseidon will be moving its operations to the city in order to play a key role in Liverpool’s new climate positive strategy, which will be trialled over the next 12 months. Poseidon, who are already working closely with Liverpool company BAC Mono to create the world’ first climate positive car, will work with local schools, universities and businesses to develop educational pro
Elliott Advisors (UK) Statement on thyssenkrupp AG19.7.2018 10:30 | Tiedote
Funds advised by Elliott Advisors (UK) Limited (“Elliott”) are significant shareholders in thyssenkrupp AG (“thyssenkrupp” or the “Company”). Elliott notes recent press coverage referencing the contents of a private letter Elliott sent to the thyssenkrupp Supervisory Board yesterday morning. In order to avoid any misunderstandings or misrepresentations of its substance, Elliott is hereby making the full text of the letter public. *** The Members of the Supervisory Board thyssenkrupp AG thyssenkrupp Allee 1 45143 Essen 18 July 2018 Ladies and Gentlemen, We note the resignation of Professor Dr. Ulrich Lehner as chairman of the Supervisory Board of thyssenkrupp AG. When we met with Professor Lehner in Essen on 27th June he and we assured each other of our desire to develop a constructive working relationship. Professor Lehner’s comments in the interview he gave to Die Zeit on 12th July suggest that he did not give those assurances in good faith. In the course of the interview with Die Zei
Albar Capital Deploys FlexNOW19.7.2018 10:30 | Tiedote
FlexTrade (@FlexTrade) today announced that Albar Capital Ltd., a new hedge fund led by Javier Velazquez (formerly of Millennium Capital Partners LLP), is now trading equities and futures using FlexNOW, FlexTrade’s new execution management system. “The FlexNOW team was instrumental in solving several of our problems,” said Jason Ruder, Trader at Albar Capital. “Not only are they helping us with our compliance requirements, they are also responsive to requests that improve my workflow.” According to Rhyd Lewis, FlexNOW Product Manager, FlexNOW’s quick onboarding and easy installation process was critical for Albar Capital’s launch on 2 July. “We had no problem integrating FlexNOW with Albar’s portfolio and risk management platform, Paladyne, which allows Fund Managers to route orders to the dealing desk,” said Lewis. “Additionally, Albar has connectivity to their executing venues via FlexTrade’s zero-touch broker network.” Multi-Asset, MiFID II Compliant Trading Designed to handle tradi
Entersekt Signs on to Mobile Connect19.7.2018 10:00 | Tiedote
Entersekt, an innovator in mobile-first fintech solutions, today announced it has signed an agreement with the GSMA to offer Mobile Connect to its institutional customers. Developed by the mobile industry as a universal mobile-device–based authentication service, Mobile Connect allows consumers across the globe to access their digital accounts via a single login. Users of the service do not have to remember multiple usernames and passwords. Instead, they identify themselves with their unique mobile number, together with a second factor like a PIN or biometric scan when additional security is required. Entersekt already offers advanced authentication and app security solutions, but the company believes Mobile Connect could help it address several increasingly urgent challenges banks face in streamlining customer-facing digital interactions. The service can facilitate the sharing with digital service providers of mobile-operator–held user and device data – and it is contextual informatio
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme