Tap to Pay Scores Big for Visa and Fans at the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™
Visa (NYSE: V), the Official Payment Services Partner of FIFA, today released an analysis of spending during the group stage (June 7 to June 20) of the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™. The results found that in the nine official stadiums, fans across France tapped to pay using contactless payment technology for more than half (51%) of purchases– including on contactless cards, smartphones, payment-enabled wristbands and wearable technology.
Analysis of out-of-stadium spend from international Visa cardholders shows increased tourism in France, especially significant in smaller host cities. In the nine host cities alone, there has been a 140% increase of international Visa cardholders choosing to tap to pay when making purchases outside of the stadium.
“Football fans are embracing the speed, convenience and security of tapping to pay in order to get through lines and back to the action on the pitch,” said Lynne Biggar, chief marketing and communications officer, Visa. “As the exclusive payment provider of the FIFA Women’s World Cup™, we are proud to support the athletes who make this tournament incredible, while also heightening the fan experience with fast, innovative ways to pay.”
In-stadium data (June 7 –20)
- The match between United States and Chile (Parc de Princes, Paris) saw the highest amount spent in-stadium in a single match, accounting for approximately 14% of total spend to date. The next highest, the Opening Match between France and South Korea (Parc de Princes, Paris) accounted for 8% – where more than 45,000 fans filled the stadium in downtown Paris
- Fans from France have spent the most, accounting for 53% of purchases, followed by the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and China
- On average, Japanese fans spent the most on individual purchases, followed by Chinese fans and Mexican fans
- Food and beverage purchases accumulated the highest amount of transactions (over 54%) followed by souvenir purchases (46%)
Out-of-Stadium Face to Face Transactions (June 7 – 20)
Analyzing data of international Visa cardholders spend outside of the stadium, showcased increased tourism in host cities where the matches are taking place.
- 4.45 million out-of-stadium transactions occurred since the beginning of the tournament
- Contactless payment transactions in host cities have grown by 140% compared to June of last year
- The city with the most out-of-stadium purchases was Paris followed by Nice and Lyon
Host cities are seeing increase in foreign spending since the start of the competition, contributing to year-over-year growth of all foreign transactions
- Smaller host cities have seen more significant spending growth year-over-year, including Reims (87%), Valenciennes (71%) and Le Havre (384%)
- Larger host cities also saw year-over-year increase in foreign transactions including Paris (16%), Nice (24%) and Lyon (24%)
- The top countries with highest foreign spending year-over-year throughout France since the start of the tournament include: United States (21%); United Kingdom (8%); Germany (86%); Switzerland (28%) and Spain (21%)
- Within host cities, the top three countries with highest foreign spending included: United States (18%), United Kingdom (19%) and China (4%)
Visa Onsite at the Tournament
As a global payments leader, Visa is committed to ensuring the best fan experience at the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ by providing the latest payment technology at all venues, enabling payments with a card, smartphone or wearable payment device.
- For the tournament, Visa is the exclusive payment service in all stadiums where payment cards are accepted. In-stadium, fans can tap to pay with Visa contactless credit and debit cards and mobile payment services at the more than 1,600 upgraded point-of-sale terminals at all nine official venues
- Point-of-sale terminals are enabled with Visa sensory branding that signifies a completed transaction through a custom Visa sound and animation - giving fans the assurance they want every time they use Visa
- Additionally, commemorative contactless Visa prepaid cards and payment-enabled wristbands are available at Visa customer service booths in all official venues for non-Visa cardholders
- Visa has selected Natixis Payments as point-of-sales and prepaid solutions provider and acquirer in stadium
About Visa Inc.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of digital commerce on any device, for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce. For more information, visit About Visa, visa.com/blog and @VisaNews.
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
IFF to Present at Barclays Global Consumer Staples Conference September 520.8.2019 23:15:00 EEST | Press release
Regulatory News: IFF (NYSE: IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF) (TASE: IFF), a leading innovator of taste, scent, and nutrition & ingredients today announced that the Company’s management will speak at the Barclays Global Consumer Staples Conference in Boston, Massachusetts, on Thursday, Sept 5, 2019 at 2:15 PM ET. Investors may access the live webcast and accompanying slide presentation on the Company's website at ir.iff.com. For those unable to listen to the live webcast, a recorded version will be made available for replay. Welcome to IFF At IFF (NYSE:IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF) (TASE: IFF), we’re using Uncommon Sense to create what the world needs. As a collective of unconventional thinkers and creators, we put science and artistry to work to create unique and unexpected scents, tastes, experiences and ingredients for the products our world craves. Learn more at iff.com, Twitter , Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho
Novalis LifeSciences Launches its First Life Science Investment Fund with $85 Million20.8.2019 19:29:00 EEST | Press release
August 20th, 2019, Novalis LifeSciences, an investment and advisory firm for the Life Science industry, announced today that it has raised $85M in capital for its first fund - Novalis LifeSciences Investments I, L.P. Novalis LifeSciences is focused on highly innovative Life Science companies. On the occasion of closing the first fund, Marijn E. Dekkers, founder and chairman, said: “This first fund is a growth-oriented fund that will invest in 8-12 companies that are commercializing breakthrough technologies in various segments of the Life Science industry. This includes drug discovery, life science tools, genomics, synthetic biology, diagnostics, and agricultural biotechnology – all areas with huge unmet needs and exciting opportunities for investors”. About Novalis LifeSciences Novalis Lifesciences LLC, is a globally acting venture capital firm focused on breakthrough technologies in Life Science. Founded and managed by Dr. Marijn E. Dekkers, current chairman of Unilever and former ch
Bermuda Tech Week 2019 to Celebrate Innovation and Explore Opportunities for Growth20.8.2019 17:27:00 EEST | Press release
Registration is under way and filling fast for Bermuda Tech Week 2019 which will take place at the Hamilton Princess & Beach Club from October 14-18, 2019. The programme of insightful and engaging events will explore future opportunities and challenges presented by emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, digital assets, insurtech and virtual reality. It will showcase Bermuda’s ongoing success in creating a welcoming, stable and well-regulated environment where technology and start-up companies can thrive. “Bermuda has a long history of innovation so we understand and recognise the power of technology to positively impact both the economy and society,” said Bermuda Premier David Burt. “Over the past two years, we have built on our strength as a global leader in regulating the risks associated with the global insurance industry to develop a clear regulatory framework around managing the risks associated with Fintech. Our progressive approach has drawn accolades
Limelight Networks Expands Developer Toolkit With New API and Portal Enhancements20.8.2019 17:25:00 EEST | Press release
Limelight Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq: LLNW), a leading provider of edge cloud services, today announced it has expanded the management and configuration capabilities of its suite of services with new Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and web portal offerings. With these new capabilities in addition to existing APIs and Software Development Kits, developers now have more power to manage and monitor services across Limelight’s edge cloud platform. According to an IDC surveyi, more than half the organizations surveyed have already adopted DevOps practices, with an additional 20 percent planning to do so in the next 12 months. To help organizations meet these demands, Limelight has introduced expanded API capabilities to provide developers with access to the full set of configuration options available across its content delivery services. Limelight’s new Configuration API enables developers to configure Limelight services and programmatically integrate them into their workflows. It exp
Andersen Global Enters Zimbabwe20.8.2019 16:30:00 EEST | Press release
Andersen Global announced it has signed a collaboration agreement with Chimwamurombe Legal Practice (Zenas) in Zimbabwe. Andersen Global has built a presence in over 14 African countries in just under two years. Zenas was founded in 2015 and now has a team of 11 professionals who provide legal services to individuals, organizations, institutions and corporations. With a specialty of serving small to medium enterprises, they offer solutions in mining and construction, commercial, debt recovery, property law, labor law, family law, tax, technology, telecommunications, media and intellectual property law, and criminal litigation. “When we started, we set out to be the most sought-after, trusted legal firm in Zimbabwe,” said Fungai Chimwamurombe, Zenas Office Managing Director. “These values line up very closely with those firms in the Andersen Global international organization. We are happy to join a team of professionals that is equally committed to treating clients like family and deliv
DXC Technology and Google Cloud Announce Global Partnership to Drive Innovation for Enterprises at Scale20.8.2019 16:00:00 EEST | Press release
DXC Technology (NYSE: DXC) today announced a strategic partnership with Google Cloud that will enable enterprise clients to modernize their mission-critical IT and integrate digital solutions on Google Cloud Platform. With the strategic partnership, DXC is also launching a Google Cloud Platform Center of Excellence (COE) and a Google Cloud Artificial Intelligence (AI) COE to provide clients in key industries with secure, scalable and agile cloud-based digital platforms that leverage advanced data analytics capabilities. The new collaboration will initially focus on joint solutions in industries such as insurance, oil and gas exploration, automotive, consumer products, retail, and banking and capital markets. Google Cloud now joins the DXC Partner Network as a strategic partner. “Our new Google Cloud partnership will benefit clients looking to go to the next level in their digital transformation,” said Edward Ho, executive vice president and general manager, Offerings, DXC. “Google Clou
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom