Tap to Pay Scores Big for Visa and Fans at the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™
Visa (NYSE: V), the Official Payment Services Partner of FIFA, today released an analysis of spending during the group stage (June 7 to June 20) of the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™. The results found that in the nine official stadiums, fans across France tapped to pay using contactless payment technology for more than half (51%) of purchases– including on contactless cards, smartphones, payment-enabled wristbands and wearable technology.
Analysis of out-of-stadium spend from international Visa cardholders shows increased tourism in France, especially significant in smaller host cities. In the nine host cities alone, there has been a 140% increase of international Visa cardholders choosing to tap to pay when making purchases outside of the stadium.
“Football fans are embracing the speed, convenience and security of tapping to pay in order to get through lines and back to the action on the pitch,” said Lynne Biggar, chief marketing and communications officer, Visa. “As the exclusive payment provider of the FIFA Women’s World Cup™, we are proud to support the athletes who make this tournament incredible, while also heightening the fan experience with fast, innovative ways to pay.”
In-stadium data (June 7 –20)
- The match between United States and Chile (Parc de Princes, Paris) saw the highest amount spent in-stadium in a single match, accounting for approximately 14% of total spend to date. The next highest, the Opening Match between France and South Korea (Parc de Princes, Paris) accounted for 8% – where more than 45,000 fans filled the stadium in downtown Paris
- Fans from France have spent the most, accounting for 53% of purchases, followed by the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and China
- On average, Japanese fans spent the most on individual purchases, followed by Chinese fans and Mexican fans
- Food and beverage purchases accumulated the highest amount of transactions (over 54%) followed by souvenir purchases (46%)
Out-of-Stadium Face to Face Transactions (June 7 – 20)
Analyzing data of international Visa cardholders spend outside of the stadium, showcased increased tourism in host cities where the matches are taking place.
- 4.45 million out-of-stadium transactions occurred since the beginning of the tournament
- Contactless payment transactions in host cities have grown by 140% compared to June of last year
- The city with the most out-of-stadium purchases was Paris followed by Nice and Lyon
Host cities are seeing increase in foreign spending since the start of the competition, contributing to year-over-year growth of all foreign transactions
- Smaller host cities have seen more significant spending growth year-over-year, including Reims (87%), Valenciennes (71%) and Le Havre (384%)
- Larger host cities also saw year-over-year increase in foreign transactions including Paris (16%), Nice (24%) and Lyon (24%)
- The top countries with highest foreign spending year-over-year throughout France since the start of the tournament include: United States (21%); United Kingdom (8%); Germany (86%); Switzerland (28%) and Spain (21%)
- Within host cities, the top three countries with highest foreign spending included: United States (18%), United Kingdom (19%) and China (4%)
Visa Onsite at the Tournament
As a global payments leader, Visa is committed to ensuring the best fan experience at the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ by providing the latest payment technology at all venues, enabling payments with a card, smartphone or wearable payment device.
- For the tournament, Visa is the exclusive payment service in all stadiums where payment cards are accepted. In-stadium, fans can tap to pay with Visa contactless credit and debit cards and mobile payment services at the more than 1,600 upgraded point-of-sale terminals at all nine official venues
- Point-of-sale terminals are enabled with Visa sensory branding that signifies a completed transaction through a custom Visa sound and animation - giving fans the assurance they want every time they use Visa
- Additionally, commemorative contactless Visa prepaid cards and payment-enabled wristbands are available at Visa customer service booths in all official venues for non-Visa cardholders
- Visa has selected Natixis Payments as point-of-sales and prepaid solutions provider and acquirer in stadium
About Visa Inc.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of digital commerce on any device, for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce. For more information, visit About Visa, visa.com/blog and @VisaNews.
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Schlumberger Announces Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Results Conference Call6.12.2019 21:07:00 EET | Press release
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB) will hold a conference call on January 17, 2020 to discuss the results for the fourth quarter and full year ending December 31, 2019. The conference call is scheduled to begin at 8:30 am US Eastern time and a press release regarding the results will be issued at 7:00 am US Eastern time. To access the conference call, listeners should contact the Conference Call Operator at +1 (844) 721-7241 within North America or +1 (409) 207-6955 outside of North America approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the call and the access code is 4013483. A webcast of the conference call will be broadcast simultaneously at www.slb.com/irwebcast on a listen-only basis. Listeners should log in 15 minutes prior to the start of the call to test their browsers and register for the webcast. Following the end of the conference call, a replay will be available at www.slb.com/irwebcast until February 17, 2020, and can be accessed by dialing +1 (866) 207-1041 within North Amer
BUFF STUDIO Globally Launches My Coloring, a Mobile 3D Pixel Art Coloring Book Game6.12.2019 16:00:00 EET | Press release
BUFF STUDIO announced on December 5 that it launched My Coloring, a mobile 3D pixel art coloring book game, in 155 countries simultaneously. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191206005162/en/ BUFF STUDIO launched My Coloring, a mobile 3D pixel art coloring book game, in 155 countries simultaneously. My Coloring is a game that materializes a 3D pixel art coloring book on mobile devices. You can blow your stress away as you paint spaces in the order of numbers on the screen while reading calming messages. Relaxing background music you will listen during gameplay and its fairytale-like design will give you pleasure and happiness. You can download it for free on Google Play and the Apple App Store. (Graphic: Business Wire) Its Android and iOS versions were released at the same time so the users can download it for free on Google Play and the Apple App Store. My Coloring is a game that materializes a 3D pixel art col
Horizon8 Opens European Headquarters in Cork with Plans for up to 50 Jobs6.12.2019 15:00:00 EET | Press release
Horizon8, an innovative, technology solutions company today opens its European headquarters in Cork, Ireland. Formerly called HengTian, the Company was created in 2004 as a strategic partnership between Boston based State Street, and Hangzhou based Insigma Technology and Zhejiang University. The new office in Cork will mark the first European office for Horizon8 adding to the company’s North American presence in Boston. An Tánaiste (Deputy Prime Minister), Simon Coveney, T.D. commenting on the opening said: “This announcement is great news for Cork and indeed Ireland. With up to 50 jobs planned, Horizon8 is placing a significant vote of confidence in the Irish Market and further demonstrates our competitive position in attracting Foreign Direct Investment. All of these roles will be for high-skilled workers, including engineers, developers and business consultants. As a Government, we have been committed to making sure that there is a strong pipeline of job opportunities outside of Dub
UAE Company Completes GBP 300 Million Investment in UK6.12.2019 12:58:00 EET | Press release
Twenty14 Holdings, the hospitality investment arm of LuLu Group International, has completed investments of US$ 390 million in UK with the inauguration of the Great Scotland Yard in London today. The hotel will be open for business from December 9, 2019. The historic property was acquired in 2015 for GBP 110 million, and the makeover of the hotel involved a further GBP 50 million. In addition to the Great Scotland Yard, Twenty14 Holdings had acquired the celebrated Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian in Scotland in 2018. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191206005122/en/ The Great Scotland Yard being formally inaugurated by Nicky Morgan, Secretary of State, Lord Jonathan Marland, Sir Edward Lister, UAE Ambassador HE Mansoor Abulhoul, Indian High Commissioner Ruchi Ghanshyam, Hyatt Hotels Global President & CEO Mark Hoplamazian in the presence of LuLu Group Chairman Yusuffali MA and Twenty14 Holdings MD Ad
Autodoc GmbH adapts its storage capacity to strong company growth6.12.2019 12:08:00 EET | Press release
Autodoc, the benchmark in online retail for car spare parts in Europe, is expanding its logistics locations in Szczecin and Berlin. With above-average growth in recent years, the demands placed on logistics have become increasingly extensive. In 2018 as a whole, around five million orders were processed and delivered at the two Autodoc warehouses in Berlin and Szczecin. In the current year, the 6 million mark in orders was already exceeded by mid-November. In order to meet Europe-wide demand in the future as well, Autodoc has rented additional warehouse space in Szczecin and at its main location in Berlin. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191206005110/en/ The Autodoc warehouse in Szczecin, Poland, will provide around 27,000 m² of storage space from spring 2020. (Photo: Business Wire) Expansion of logistics capacities is a key growth factor Autodoc saw itself as a European company from the outset and identified
Play harnesses ADVA timing solution for 5G-ready mobile network6.12.2019 11:00:00 EET | Press release
ADVA (FSE: ADV) today announced that Play has deployed its Oscilloquartz timing solution to provide LTE Advanced services throughout Poland and prepare its network for 5G. The PTP grandmaster with dual integrated GNSS antenna enables Play to deliver the resilient and accurate Precision Time Protocol (PTP) frequency and phase synchronization needed for next-generation connectivity. With its ultra-compact design, the OSA 5405 Series empowers Play to migrate its radio access network from costly GNSS RF antennas and coax cables to standard copper and fiber Ethernet cabling, dramatically reducing capital expenditure and operating expenses. ADVA’s long-term partner NAVI also played a key role in the project. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191206005008/en/ ADVA's OSA 5405 timing technology is helping Play prepare for 5G (Photo: Business Wire) “This deployment is about taking our RAN infrastructure to the next level.
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom