Takeda Commits Over $30 Million in Five New Global CSR Partnerships To Further Drive Health Impact in 92 Countries
Takeda ( TSE:4502/NYSE:TAK ) today announced five new partnerships to its Global Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Program, which contribute to strengthening health systems in low- and middle-income countries. The new partnerships bring its total contributions to JPY 24.2 billion (Approx. USD 167.5 million) across 29 long-term partnerships. Takeda’s workforce is an integral part of the annual decision-making process as over 24,500 purpose-led employees participated in the selection of the five new partnerships. Takeda expects that Global CSR Program’s new five partnerships will bring its reach to 25.2 million people in 92 countries by 2028.
“Our 242-year-old heritage has taught us that creating sustainable positive impact not only takes time but also requires us to constantly adapt and look to the future. There are no quick fixes to global health challenges, which are complex, multi-dimensional and context dependent. While each of these partnerships will support health systems strengthening in unique and innovative ways, there are two common threads: an equity lens focused on marginalized groups and a systems approach prioritizing lasting outcomes over quick wins,” says Takako Ohyabu, Takeda’s chief global corporate affairs and sustainability officer. “These partnerships explicitly target marginalized and/or vulnerable groups who lack quality health services and access to essential medicines, whether that is due to conflict, climate change, natural disasters, or socio-economic reasons. We take a long-term view, working with partners who have local knowledge and ownership, adopting a systems approach to develop resilient and equitable health systems which are also responsive to climate change.”
Takeda’s commitments to these new partners in FY2023 include:
- JPY 834 million (Approx. USD 5.8 million) to Society for Family Health, Rwanda to expand access to quality healthcare in remote and hard-to-reach communities in Rwanda through the establishment of 20 second-generation health posts under a public-private-community-partnership model. The program introduces new infrastructure, empowers long-term local leadership, strengthens the provision of comprehensive care and empowers the health workforce. It will also leverage technology to improve data-driven decision-making to scale improved health outcomes across the country.
- JPY 1,146 million (Approx. USD 7.9 million) to Relief International to improve access to essential medicines and medical supplies in communities devastated by conflict, climate change and disaster in Afghanistan, Yemen, Myanmar and Syria. This program will strengthen capabilities of local suppliers to generate reliable supply chains of quality essential medicines, benefitting local and humanitarian communities’ access and informing scalable global solutions.
- JPY 1,048 million (Approx. USD 7.3 million) to Mercy Corps to help climate-fragile communities save lives, improve health, and build climate resiliency for over 3 million people through the addition of Resilience Hubs in Jamaica, U.S. Virgin Islands, St. Kitts and Nevis, and St. Lucia, as part of their Caribbean Resilience Initiative. As natural disasters become more frequent and devastating, the program will help communities prepare for the worst by activating immediate access to life-saving information, portable water, energy, and health and social services, while also directly informing the creation of a scalable resilience model to benefit this region and beyond.
- JPY 671 million (Approx. USD 4.6 million) to Partners In Health to elevate and equip 3,000 nurses and midwives in Haiti, Mexico, Peru, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Rwanda and Sierra Leone to become recognized leaders in the areas of health system administration and health policy. By promoting more diverse and equitable leadership across gender, socioeconomic, and racial lines, the program will improve the recruitment and retention of frontline health workforce, improve health outcomes, and realize sustainable health gains.
- JPY 793 million (Approx. USD 5.5 million) to University of Nairobi to create a pioneering, public health-focused machine learning and data science training program to strengthen the leadership pipeline and impact of women to improve health in their communities. The program will train and empower 800 underprivileged girls and young women across 6 regions in Kenya. By cultivating a diversified pool of data scientists, it will contribute to reducing biases and gender gaps in public health data and artificial intelligence and create a model for scale across the African continent.
The new partners shared:
- “Our partnership with Takeda signifies shared commitment to expanding access to quality healthcare and improving well-being of Rwandans. Together, we are making a profound impact, building a healthier and brighter future for vulnerable groups,” said Manasseh Gihana Wandera, executive director of Society for Family Health, Rwanda.
- “Relief International’s new partnership with Takeda will ensure the timely and reliable provision of essential medicines and quality medical supplies in Afghanistan, Yemen, Myanmar, and Syria. Together, we will contribute to saving lives in four of the most challenging places globally and reduce the carbon footprint of our humanitarian supply chains,” said Craig Redmond, CEO of Relief International
- “Now is the time to take bold action to help communities adapt in the face of a worsening climate crisis, more frequent and intense extreme weather events. Our partnership with Takeda enables Mercy Corps to bring our Resilience Hub model to support more communities across the Caribbean to better prepare for, survive, and recover from natural disasters and build a more resilient future,” said Tjada D’Oyen McKenna, CEO of Mercy Corps
- “By elevating the voices of nurses and midwives—the backbone of the global health workforce, Partner In Health’s partnership with Takeda will transform hierarchies to include nurses and midwives in decision making. Greater gender and professional equity in leadership, retention of frontline staff, and expert insight from the bedside will catalyze stronger health systems and better, more equitable health outcomes,” said Sheila Davis, CEO of Partners In Health
- “University of Nairobi is excited to collaborate with Takeda to lead in the cultivation of a diverse, gender-balanced pool of data scientists by empowering and training underprivileged women so that we can address biases in public health data and machine learning and achieve better health outcomes,” said Prof Stephen Kiama, vice-chancellor of the University of Nairobi
Since its launch in 2016, Takeda’s Global CSR Program has contributed to strengthening health systems including the following, which are informed by WHO’s Health System Strengthening Building Blocks:
- Service Delivery and Access to Essential Medicines: Directly benefited more than 11.2 million people, by improving accessibility, coverage and quality of service delivery e.g., screening, referrals and follow ups; immunized over 4.6 million children against preventable diseases such as measles; and provided more than 2.3 million community members with targeted health education including on nutrition, water, sanitation, hygiene and sexual and reproductive health.
- Health Workforce: Developed knowledge, skills, motivation, and deployment of health workforce, by training over 68,000 qualified health professionals and community health workers responsible for organizing and delivering health services as well as those who do not deliver services directly but are essential to the performance of health systems such as health supply chain managers and health information system administrators.
- Health Information Systems: Developed, enhanced, or implemented 49 digital solutions, platforms, or tools to support data-informed health planning and health decision-making.
- Leadership and Governance: Developed or enhanced 285 strategic plans and policies, which are linked to national and local needs and priorities to ensure local ownership and making it likely that innovative solutions are being sustained and scaled.
Takeda is focused on creating better health for people and a brighter future for the world. We aim to discover and deliver life-transforming treatments in our core therapeutic and business areas, including gastrointestinal and inflammation, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, oncology, neuroscience and vaccines. Together with our partners, we aim to improve the patient experience and advance a new frontier of treatment options through our dynamic and diverse pipeline. As a leading values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Japan, we are guided by our commitment to patients, our people and the planet. Our employees in approximately 80 countries and regions are driven by our purpose and are grounded in the values that have defined us for more than two centuries. For more information, visit www.takeda.com.
For the purposes of this notice, “press release” means this document, any oral presentation, any question and answer session and any written or oral material discussed or distributed by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (“Takeda”) regarding this release. This press release (including any oral briefing and any question-and-answer in connection with it) is not intended to, and does not constitute, represent or form part of any offer, invitation or solicitation of any offer to purchase, otherwise acquire, subscribe for, exchange, sell or otherwise dispose of, any securities or the solicitation of any vote or approval in any jurisdiction. No shares or other securities are being offered to the public by means of this press release. No offering of securities shall be made in the United States except pursuant to registration under the U.S. Securities Act of 1933, as amended, or an exemption therefrom. This press release is being given (together with any further information which may be provided to the recipient) on the condition that it is for use by the recipient for information purposes only (and not for the evaluation of any investment, acquisition, disposal or any other transaction). Any failure to comply with these restrictions may constitute a violation of applicable securities laws.
The companies in which Takeda directly and indirectly owns investments are separate entities. In this press release, “Takeda” is sometimes used for convenience where references are made to Takeda and its subsidiaries in general. Likewise, the words “we”, “us” and “our” are also used to refer to subsidiaries in general or to those who work for them. These expressions are also used where no useful purpose is served by identifying the particular company or companies.
This press release and any materials distributed in connection with this press release may contain forward-looking statements, beliefs or opinions regarding Takeda’s future business, future position and results of operations, including estimates, forecasts, targets and plans for Takeda. Without limitation, forward-looking statements often include words such as “targets”, “plans”, “believes”, “hopes”, “continues”, “expects”, “aims”, “intends”, “ensures”, “will”, “may”, “should”, “would”, “could”, “anticipates”, “estimates”, “projects” or similar expressions or the negative thereof. These forward-looking statements are based on assumptions about many important factors, including the following, which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements: the economic circumstances surrounding Takeda’s global business, including general economic conditions in Japan and the United States; competitive pressures and developments; changes to applicable laws and regulations, including global health care reforms; challenges inherent in new product development, including uncertainty of clinical success and decisions of regulatory authorities and the timing thereof; uncertainty of commercial success for new and existing products; manufacturing difficulties or delays; fluctuations in interest and currency exchange rates; claims or concerns regarding the safety or efficacy of marketed products or product candidates; the impact of health crises, like the novel coronavirus pandemic, on Takeda and its customers and suppliers, including foreign governments in countries in which Takeda operates, or on other facets of its business; the timing and impact of post-merger integration efforts with acquired companies; the ability to divest assets that are not core to Takeda’s operations and the timing of any such divestment(s); and other factors identified in Takeda’s most recent Annual Report on Form 20-F and Takeda’s other reports filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, available on Takeda’s website at: https://www.takeda.com/investors/sec-filings-and-security-reports/ or at www.sec.gov. Takeda does not undertake to update any of the forward-looking statements contained in this press release or any other forward-looking statements it may make, except as required by law or stock exchange rule. Past performance is not an indicator of future results and the results or statements of Takeda in this press release may not be indicative of, and are not an estimate, forecast, guarantee or projection of Takeda’s future results.
In this press release, certain amounts presented in Japanese yen have been translated to US dollars solely for the convenience of the reader. Except where otherwise noted, these convenience translations have been made at an exchange rate of 1USD = 144.47 JPY, the Noon Buying Rate certified by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York on June 30, 2023. The rate and methodologies used for these convenience translations differ from the currency exchange rates and translation methodologies under IFRS used for the preparation of Takeda’s consolidated financial statements. These translations should not be construed as a representation that the relevant Japanese yen amounts could be converted into U.S. dollars at this or any other rate.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
U.S. and International Media
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
GEDi Cube and Renovaro Biosciences Sign Definitive Agreement to Combine29.9.2023 16:15:00 EEST | Press release
GEDi Cube Intl Ltd. (GEDi Cube), an AI medical technology company, and Renovaro Biosciences Inc. (NASDAQ:RENB) (Renovaro), an advanced, preclinical biotechnology firm in cell, gene and immunotherapy, have signed a definitive agreement to combine, in which GEDi Cube will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Renovaro in a stock-for-stock acquisition (the “Transaction”). If completed, the Transaction will result in a combined company that will offer advanced early diagnosis and early identification of recurring cancer as well as potential therapies for several critical diseases such as pancreatic cancer and other solid tumors with poor life expectancy. The combined company will have a unique advantage: Renovaro Biosciences’ pre-clinical and clinical trial data could be utilized to accelerate GEDi Cube’s AI capabilities that, in turn, could potentially help to accelerate Renovaro’s development of potential new therapies. AI will be used to advance the fields of diagnosis and treatment with
Offshore Windfarm Hollandse Kust Zuid Inaugurated29.9.2023 14:53:00 EEST | Press release
Today, Dutch King Willem-Alexander jointly with the board members of Vattenfall, BASF, and Allianz officially inaugurated the offshore wind farm Hollandse Kust Zuid 1-4. The wind farm is in the North Sea, 18-36 kilometers off the Dutch coast between the towns of Scheveningen and Zandvoort. The 139 turbines have a total capacity of 1.5 GW, making it one of the largest offshore wind farms in the world. The annual electricity production is expected to equal the consumption of 1.5 million households. Hollandse Kust Zuid is owned by Vattenfall, BASF, and Allianz. The wind farm is expected to be fully operational in 2024 and will be serviced out of the port of IJmuiden. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230929518869/en/ Inauguration Hollandse Kust Zuid wind farm. From left to right: Helene Biström (Senior Vice President, Head of Business Area Wind Vattenfall), Martijn Hagens (CEO Vattenfall Netherlands), His Majesty K
The Estée Lauder Companies Launches 2023 Breast Cancer Campaign: Beautifully United to Help End Breast Cancer29.9.2023 14:00:00 EEST | Press release
For more than 30 years, The Estée Lauder Companies’ Breast Cancer Campaign (The Campaign) has been dedicated to advancing the possibility of a breast cancer-free world for all. This October, The Estée Lauder Companies (ELC) honors Breast Cancer Awareness Month by launching The Campaign in support of the global breast cancer community. As ELC’s largest corporate social impact program, The Campaign continues to inspire purpose-driven action and is a cornerstone of the company’s social investments in women’s advancement, health and education. Through The Campaign, ELC has also been a longstanding supporter of women in science, research and medicine – funding numerous grants and programs around the world and accelerating opportunities for women in STEM. The Campaign was founded by Evelyn H. Lauder in 1992 with the launch of the iconic Pink Ribbon. At a time when breast cancer wasn’t spoken about openly, Evelyn and ELC saw an opportunity to bring awareness to the disease and address stigmas
PUMA’s World-Class Ambassadors Celebrate 75 Years of Sports History29.9.2023 13:42:00 EEST | Press release
Sports company PUMA and several of its world-class ambassadors shared some of their most memorable moments of sports history of the past 75 years to celebrate the company’s anniversary as the fastest sports brand in the world. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230929516886/en/ Sports company PUMA and several of its world-class ambassadors shared some of their most memorable moments of sports history of the past 75 years to celebrate the company’s anniversary as the fastest sports brand in the world. (Photo: Business Wire) “I think along all these 75 years, one thing which has not changed at PUMA is the purpose,” said PUMA CEO Arne Freundt. “We are here to write the future history of sports and culture.” The world’s fastest man, Usain Bolt, was joined on stage by other PUMA legends at the company’s headquarters in Herzogenaurach, Germany, to talk about the highlights of their careers and how they worked together
Alipay+ Partners with Global Brands in #MoneyCannotBuy Initiative to Attract E-Wallet Users across Asia29.9.2023 04:43:00 EEST | Press release
Alipay+ today launches the #MoneyCannotBuy marketing initiative, a series of social media campaigns and special rewards, as the provider of cross-border digital payments and marketing solutions teams with global merchants in bringing a unique travel experience to Asia’s e-wallet users. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230928554669/en/ With the debut treat unveiled in Dubai, a group of lucky e-wallet users would win round-trip flights in Dubai to find out the poems they submitted through an earlier Alipay+ social media campaign are projected onto the Burj Khalifa to light up the sky. (Photo: Business Wire) #MoneyCannotBuy features major social media campaigns and special promotion from over 100 brands worldwide ranging from major theme parks to shopping malls, luxury retailers and major airports, for mobile-savvy travelers. In China and beyond, travelers are seeking more memorable and unique travel experiences o
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom