Aerogen Collaborates on Development of More Than 15 Potential COVID-19 Inhaled Therapies
Aerogen, the global leader in aerosol drug delivery, today announced details of a broad collaborative effort to support pharmaceutical companies from around the world as they work to develop COVID-19 vaccines and treatments. To date, more than ten million patients globally have been treated safely and effectively with Aerogen’s drug delivery technology 1,5–7. As the global scientific community rallies against the pandemic, there has been unprecedented interest in inhaled delivery of antiviral drugs, leading to Aerogen’s involvement in multiple COVID-19 drug development initiatives with leading pharmaceutical companies and prominent academic groups.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201022006039/en/
Aerogen Ultra (Photo: Business Wire)
Aerogen’s closed-circuit nebulizer technology, which addresses key concerns around safety and improves patient outcomes5–8, is being used in hospitals across the globe to deliver aerosolized medication to critically-ill ventilated COVID-19 patients1. Aerogen was quick to anticipate the critical role that development of new inhaled drugs will ultimately play in the COVID-19 response, and in March of this year formed a COVID response unit to support projects researching potential treatments and vaccines. This response unit is now working with pharmaceutical companies worldwide to ensure safe delivery of inhaled therapies. Several of these collaborations are already in clinical trials, with others on track to enter studies on moderately and severely ill COVID-19 patients over the weeks and months ahead.
In one such collaboration, Aerogen has signed an agreement with Synairgen plc, a Southampton, UK-based biotechnology company, to provide the market-leading Aerogen® Solo/Ultra nebulizer system for delivery of SNG001 directly into the lungs of COVID-19 patients. SNG001 is an inhaled interferon beta that stimulates the innate immune system. Initial investigation of SNG001 as a potential COVID-19 treatment has been promising – hospitalized patients receiving SNG001 were at reduced risk of developing severe disease and more than twice as likely to recover to the ‘no limitation of activities’ level on the ordinal scale over the course of treatment9,10.
“Aerogen is a highly regarded global company known for providing safe and effective aerosol drug delivery,” said Richard Marsden, CEO of Synairgen. “Ensuring that SGN001 is paired with optimal delivery technology is a vital component of our work to bring this potential treatment to market at scale. Aerogen is our choice because of its proven reputation for drug delivery efficiency and reliability, suitability for use with a wide range of ventilatory support modalities, established high-volume manufacturing and prior regulatory approvals across the globe.”
“In the early days of the pandemic, hospitals were discouraged from using any type of aerosol for COVID-19 treatment – which is understandable given the nature of the virus,” said John Power, CEO and Founder of Aerogen. “Now, it’s clear to health systems worldwide that aerosol drug delivery can be done with improved safety but is an absolute necessity for managing this global crisis. COVID-19 has only reinforced the important role Aerogen plays in safely and effectively delivering treatments to patients across the world, and we’re proud to work with innovators like Synairgen as part of the research and development process for potential COVID-19 vaccines and treatments.”
The Aerogen Solo is a closed-system, single patient use (vibrating mesh) aerosol drug delivery technology offering superior performance across all hospital ventilation modalities5–7,11. Designed for the safety of both the patient and the caregiver, Aerogen’s closed-circuit design enables the only global aerosol drug delivery system which mitigates the transmission of patient-generated infectious aerosol during ventilation12,13. Aerogen is committed to working with pharmaceutical companies worldwide to meet the current global demand for inhaled delivery of antiviral drugs and offers industry-leading expertise and technology in combination with a proven track record in the development of inhalation therapeutics. For more information on Aerogen’s products, please visit www.aerogen.com/products.
For more information on Aerogen’s role in the fight against COVID-19, www.aerogen.com/covid-19.
Aerogen is the world’s leading medical device company specializing in the design, manufacture and commercialization of aerosol drug delivery systems. Aerogen’s patented vibrating mesh technology turns liquid medication into a fine particle mist, gently and effectively delivering drugs to the lungs of patients11,14,15. Aerogen’s innovative products, such as the Aerogen® Solo and Aerogen® Ultra, significantly improve aerosol drug delivery resulting in better patient care throughout the Hospital across all ages5–8,16. Founded in Galway, Ireland in 1997, Aerogen has grown to become the global leader in high performance aerosol drug delivery and has partnered its technology with the leading mechanical ventilation companies1. Aerogen technology is used by millions of patients and caregivers in over 75 countries worldwide1.
- Aerogen Internal data on file, Aug 2020.
- Ari A. Practical strategies for a safe and effective delivery of aerosolized medications to patients with COVID-19. Respir. Med. 2020; 167. doi:10.1016/j.rmed.2020.105987.
- Respiratory care committee of Chinese Thoracic Society. [Expert consensus on preventing nosocomial transmission during respiratory care for critically ill patients infected by 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia]. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 2020; 17: E020.
- Cinesi Gómez C, Peñuelas Rodríguez Ó, Luján Torné M, Egea Santaolalla C, Masa Jiménez JF, García Fernández J et al. Clinical consensus recommendations regarding non-invasive respiratory support in the adult patient with acute respiratory failure secondary to SARS-CoV-2 infection. Med Intensiva (English Ed 2020; 44: 429–438.
- Avdeev S, Nuraieva G, Soe AK, Fink JB. Comparison of response to aerosol drug delivery with mesh and jet nebulizers during non-invasive ventilation (NIV) in acute exacerbation of COPD. Poster ERS 2017; 50: PA1894.
- Reminiac F, Vecellio L, Bodet-Contentin L, Gissot V, Le Pennec D, Salmon Gandonniere C et al. Nasal high-flow bronchodilator nebulization: a randomized cross-over study. Ann Intensive Care 2018; 8: 128.
- Dunne RB, Shortt S. Comparison of bronchodilator administration with vibrating mesh nebulizer and standard jet nebulizer in the emergency department. Am J Emerg Med 2018; 4: 641–646.
- Moody GB, Luckett PM, Shockley CM, Huang R, Ari A. Clinical Efficacy of Vibrating Mesh and Jet Nebulizers With Different Interfaces in Pediatric Subjects With Asthma. Respir Care 2020; : respcare.07538.
- Synairgen plc. Synairgen announces positive results from trial of SNG001 in hospitalised COVID-19 patients. Press release, https://www.synairgen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/200720-Synairgen-announces-positive-results-from-trial-of-SNG001-in-hospitalised-COVID-19-patients.pdf .
- Synairgen Plc. Interim results for the six months ended 30 June 2020. Press release, https://www.synairgen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/200929-Synairgen-Interim-Results-final.pdf .
- Dugernier J, Reychler G, Wittebole X, Roeseler J, Depoortere V, Sottiaux T et al. Aerosol delivery with two ventilation modes during mechanical ventilation: a randomized study. Ann Intensive Care 2016; 6: 73.
- O’Toole C, McGrath JA, Joyce M, Bennett G, Byrne MA, MacLoughlin R. Fugitive Aerosol Therapy Emissions during Mechanical Ventilation: In Vitro Assessment of the Effect of Tidal Volume and Use of Protective Filters. Aerosol Air Qual Res 2020; 20. doi:10.4209/aaqr.2020.04.0176.
- Aerogen Solo System Instruction Manual. Aerogen Ltd. P/N 30-354, Part No. AG-AS3050.
- Dugernier J, Hesse M, Vanbever R, Depoortere V, Roeseler J, Michotte JB et al. SPECT-CT Comparison of Lung Deposition using a System combining a Vibrating-mesh Nebulizer with a Valved Holding Chamber and a Conventional Jet Nebulizer: a Randomized Cross-over Study. Pharm Res 2017; 34: 290–300.
- Dugernier J, Hesse M, Jumetz T, Bialais E, Roeseler J, Depoortere V et al. Aerosol Delivery with Two Nebulizers Through High-Flow Nasal Cannula: A Randomized Cross-Over Single-Photon Emission Computed Tomography-Computed Tomography Study. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 2017; 30: 349–358.
- Cantu T, Jenkins L. Quality Improvement Project to Compare Vibrating Mesh Nebulizer Therapy With Hour Long Jet Nebulizer Therapy for Albuterol Delivery in Asthma and Reactive Airway Disorder Patients in a Pediatric Emergency Department. Respir Care 2019; 64.
For further information, please contact:
Global Customer Marketing Manager, Aerogen
Tel: +353 91 540237
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Rand Technology Appoints Key Executives Across Global Regions4.12.2020 02:30:00 EET | Press release
Rand Technology (Rand) has appointed Kim Fix, Chief Operating Officer (COO), Americas & Europe; Frederick Fu, President and Managing Director, Asia-Pacific (APAC); Nami Mokri, Vice President, Sales & Sourcing, APAC; Kevin Sheehan, Chief Information Officer (CIO); and Jennifer Strawn, Director, Sourcing & Procurement, Americas & Europe. Kim Fix, Global Vice President, QA & Operations, has been appointed to COO, Americas & Europe. Kim will lead Rand’s sales and sourcing teams’ operations across the Americas and Europe and oversee global compliance, quality assurance, and operations. Kim has been integral to Rand’s preferred status with its business partners and multi-site ISO, OHSAS, ANSI ESD, and R2 certifications. Frederick Fu joined Rand as President and Managing Director, APAC. He previously served as Avnet’s President of APAC. He has been fundamental to Rand’s efficacy, growth, strategy, and success in the APAC region. Nami Mokri was appointed Vice President, Sales & Sourcing, APAC.
Kalray Joins MLCommons as Founding Member3.12.2020 20:30:00 EET | Press release
Kalray (Euronext Growth Paris: FR0010722819 – ALKAL) (Paris:ALKAL), a pioneer in processors for new intelligent systems, today announced it has joined MLCommons as founding member. MLCommons is a not for profit, engineering consortium founded by 30+ global technology and academic leaders in AI and Machine Learning to accelerate machine learning innovation and broaden access to this critical technology for the public good. Initially formed as MLPerf, MLCommons boasts a founding board that includes representatives from Alibaba, Facebook AI, Google, Intel, NVIDIA and Professor Vijay Janapa Reddi of Harvard University with the objective to deliver industry-wide benchmarks, best practices and datasets to speed computer vision, natural language processing, and speech recognition development for all. “MLCommons has a clear mission - accelerate Machine Learning innovation to ‘raise all boats’ and increase its positive impact on society” said Peter Mattson, President of MLCommons. “We are excit
Hyperloop Transportation Technologies Accelerates with 100 Engineers from World Leading Firm Altran3.12.2020 19:40:00 EET | Press release
Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HyperloopTT) announced today an agreement with world-leading engineering and R&D services provider Altran, part of the Capgemini Group. The agreement includes one hundred Altran engineers to accelerate the development of commercialized passenger hyperloop systems at the HyperloopTT facility in Toulouse, France, the Aerospace Valley of Europe. HyperloopTT’s European R&D Center is the home of the world’s only full-scale hyperloop system, which has been undergoing testing and optimization since 2019. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201203005174/en/ HyperloopTT's full-scale test system in Toulouse, France (Photo: Business Wire) The agreement advances HyperloopTT’s capabilities in a lean way, negotiated within HyperloopTT’s hybrid collaborative framework. The announcement comes after recent commitments from both the European Union and the United States, emphasizing the develop
Dan Bilzerian Joins Team GGPoker & Celebrates With $100,000 Birthday Freeroll3.12.2020 19:00:00 EET | Press release
GGPoker today announces that Dan Bilzerian has joined Team GGPoker as a brand ambassador. One of the world’s most recognizable poker players and social media influencers, with over 32 million followers on Instagram, “Blitz” will represent GGPoker live and online. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201203005724/en/ Dan Bilzerian, GGPoker's newest brand ambassador. (Photo: Business Wire) To celebrate the news, the online poker room will host a special 40th birthday party for the ‘King of Instagram’ on December 7 in the form of a $100,000 Birthday Freeroll poker tournament. This free-to-enter poker game is open to all new GGPoker players that sign up using code BLITZ40 and deposit $10 or more. What : Dan’s $100,000 Birthday Freeroll When : Monday, December 7 at 17:00 UTC How To Enter : Sign up using code BLITZ40, deposit at least $10 and use your ticket to register for the freeroll tournament Tournament Prize Pool :
Odense Investor Summit Introduces Investors to 15 Promising Robot Companies in Europe’s Robot Capital3.12.2020 18:47:00 EET | Press release
In just five years, robotic start-ups based in Odense, Denmark – the robot capital of Europe – have attracted more than 976 million USD. This year, the local Danish entrepreneurs will be joined by companies from the RobotUnion Super Stars; finalists from the pan-European robot acceleration program. The event is being sponsored by Vækstfonden, the Danish State’s investment fund, with the objective of making matches between leading Danish entrepreneurs seeking capital backing, and top international investors on the hunt for the next “golden goose” in the world of robotics. On December 9th, a carefully selected field of robot enterprises seeking capital will be presenting their ground-breaking automation solutions for a broad spectrum of industries at this year’s Odense Investor Summit. The 2020 summit is being held as a virtual event to involve participants from all parts of Europe and provide access to a new audience while still observing the prevailing COVID-19 restrictions. In additio
IEEE Launches 802.3™ Beyond 400Gb/s Ethernet Study Group to Define Next High Speed Threshold for Ethernet Data Rate3.12.2020 18:30:00 EET | Press release
IEEE, the world's largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for humanity, and IEEE Standards Association (IEEE SA) today announced the formation of a study group within the IEEE 802.3™ Ethernet Working Group. With bandwidth demand growing across all areas of Ethernet connectivity globally, the IEEE 802.3 Beyond 400Gb/s Ethernet Study Group will explore initiating a new IEEE project that would standardize capabilities exceeding today’s maximum data rate of 400 Gigabit per second (Gb/s) for IEEE 802.3, IEEE Standard for Ethernet. The publicly available IEEE 802.3™ Ethernet Bandwidth Assessment (BWA) report, released in April 2020, showed that trends around traffic drivers such as video, hyperscale data centers, 5G and deployment of IEEE 802.11™ “Wi-Fi®” all point toward an ongoing bandwidth explosion for Ethernet networks around the world in the years ahead. Undeniably, simultaneous trends point toward more users, faster access speeds, more services, m
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom