American Express Launches 2021 Global Travel Trends Report
American Express (NYSE: AXP) released the American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report today, which provides unique insight into consumer sentiment toward travel nearly one year after the COVID-19 pandemic began. The findings in the report, grounded in survey research across seven countries, including the United States, Australia, India, Canada, Mexico, Japan and the United Kingdom1, demonstrates that consumers are looking forward to traveling again and that they are planning for future trips.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210309005322/en/
American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report Finds Consumers are Looking Forward to Traveling Again (Graphic: Business Wire)
Top insights include:
- Strong Pent-Up Demand for Travel: 87% of people surveyed said that having a trip planned in the future gives them something to look forward to, 76% of respondents are creating their destination wish list for future travel even though they might not be able to travel yet and 63% of respondents said that they are saving their credit card points so they can go on a vacation once they feel comfortable traveling.
- Ready to Book Now: 56% of respondents said that they miss traveling so much that they are willing to book a trip now even if they might have to cancel it in the future.
- Rise of The Digital Nomad: 54% of respondents said that the freedom and flexibility of being able to live and work while traveling the globe is more appealing now than it was prior to the pandemic.
- Safety is a Priority: 65% of respondents said they plan to travel after they and their family members have received a vaccine for COVID-19.
- Privacy is the New Ultimate Luxury: 75% of respondents agree that the experiences that offer ultimate privacy is becoming a key sought-after feature of luxury travel.
- Increase in Sustainable Travel: 68% of respondents agree they are trying to be more aware of sustainability-friendly travel brands to support.
“Our latest global trends report shows that there is a pent-up demand for travel among consumers, with many people longing for and beginning to plan future trips,” said Audrey Hendley, President of American Express Travel. “In addition, the pandemic environment is giving rise to emerging trends, such as the increasing appeal of working from anywhere while traveling globally, luxury being defined as more personalized experiences, cleanliness and privacy as the ultimate luxury amenities, as well as a growing interest in the environmental and social purpose of their trips and travel companies.”
Here’s a look at key findings from the report:
CONSUMERS ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO TRAVELING AGAIN
People are finding hope and comfort in thinking about and even planning future trips.
- Travel to Uplift Health & Wellness: 78% of respondents indicate wanting to travel in 2021 to relieve the stresses from 2020.
- Planning and Paying for Future Travel: One in three say they will more frequently use travel credits or points to pay for all or part of a trip in 2021 than they did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Making Up for Missed Travel: 61% of survey respondents plan to spend more than they normally would on a trip in 2021 since they could not travel in 2020.
- Consumers Willing to Make Sacrifices to Travel: 64% of respondents miss traveling so much that they would be willing to give up social media for a month to be able to go on vacation.
- Culinary Tourism is Here to Stay: 62% of respondents say that eating is the top activity they are interested in doing while traveling, and American Express Travel booking data for January 2021 shows foodie centric cities as top destinations for U.S. and International Card Members. Miami, San Francisco, Chicago and Houston are hot spots for U.S. American Express Card Members2 whereas Mexico City, Singapore and Tokyo are topping the list for International American Express Card Members3.
THE NEW TRAVEL MINDSET
With regular changes to booking policies, travel offers, and new destinations to consider, there is a new travel mindset today.
- Luxury Travel: The pandemic has changed peoples’ perception of luxury travel with personalized experiences (82%), high cleanliness standards (81%) and privacy (79%) being the most desirable luxury amenities among respondents1. 59% indicate that they want to use a travel agent to help plan and customize their next trip and 80% indicate they are willing to travel to destinations during the offseason so that it's less crowded.
- Surge in ‘Second-City’ Destinations: 69% of respondents are interested in visiting lesser-known destinations and American Express Travel booking data reinforces this trend, showing a rise in reservations for second-city destinations. For example, Dallas and Charlotte saw a higher share of bookings from International Card Members in January 2021 than the previous year4 and American Express Travel consultants are seeing requests for smaller cities like Porto (instead of Lisbon) in Portugal, and Wellington (instead of Auckland) in New Zealand.
TRAVELING WITH PURPOSE
Consumers are becoming more conscious travelers, are more aware of travel companies aligned with their values and will journey to destinations where they can have a positive impact on communities.
- Backing Local Communities: 72% of respondents agree that they are passionate about traveling to destinations to help boost tourism revenue and the local economy1.
- Supporting Travel Brands that Prioritize Diversity & Inclusion: 69% of respondents agree that they want to choose an airline/hotel that values diversity and inclusion, and whose employees reflect a diverse customer base.
- Carbon Conscious Travelers: 60% of respondents agree they want to book airlines that have a carbon neutral commitment.
American Express Travel’s 4,500 travel consultants provide customers with world-class service, where high-tech meets high-touch support, 24/7. To give customers more value and confidence whenever they’re ready to travel, the company has rolled out a number of discounts and offers across hotel, air and car rentals and extended American Express Travel cancellation fee waivers through the end of September. To find out more visit AmexTravel.com.
For additional findings and more information on the American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report, visit here.
AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL: GLOBAL TRAVEL TRENDS REPORT METHODOLOGY
1 This Amex Trendex online poll was conducted by Morning Consult between January 15-24, 2021 among a national sample of 1,000 travelers in Australia, Canada, India, Japan, Mexico and the U.K., and 2,000 in the U.S. $70k+ USD household income (HHI) equivalent in Australia, Canada, Japan, the U.K. and the U.S., $50k+ USD equivalent HHI in Mexico, and $20k+ USD equivalent household income in India. Travelers defined as adults who traveled by air at least once in 2019. Results have a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points in the U.S.; plus or minus 3 percentage points in the other countries.
2 Based on U.S. Card Member flight and hotel bookings made through American Express Travel in January 2021
3 Based on International Card Member flight and hotel bookings made through American Express Travel in January 2021
4 Based on International Card Member hotel and air bookings made through American Express Travel in January 2021 compared to January 2020.
ABOUT AMERICAN EXPRESS
American Express is a globally integrated payments company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, instagram.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, InAuth, corporate card, business travel, and corporate responsibility.
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
BIO KOREA 2021 International Convention Is Ready - Showing What Makes Korea’s Bio-health Market at Record High20.4.2021 15:00:00 EEST | Press release
The 16th edition of BIO KOREA, the reference B2B event for global biotech and health industry professionals interested in opportunities in the Asian region, will be held online from 9th to 21st June 2021 with an onsite show at COEX in Seoul from 9th to 11th June. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210420005089/en/ In the global market, the bio-health industry is notching an annual average growth rate of 4 percent, higher than the shipbuilding and auto-making industry at 2.9 percent and at 1.5 percent, respectively. Especially, the Korean bio-health industry shows remarkable growth – its bio-health industry set a new milestone in outbound shipments with a 50 percent jump last year, led by robust demand for COVID-19 test kits and biosimilar products. With the record high export figures, the bio-health sector joins the ranks of the mainstay export industry for the first time in its history. The game-changers of the
Munich Re’s Consulting Unit Boosts Its Pricing Capabilities With Akur8 in Global Cooperation20.4.2021 15:00:00 EEST | Press release
Akur8 is delighted to announce their global cooperation agreement with Munich Re to boost Munich Re’s pricing capabilities for their Global Consulting Unit 1. With this agreement, Munich Re will have access to a new state-of-the-art rate modelling solution and Akur8 will reinforce its footprint by partnering with one of the world’s leading providers of insurance, reinsurance and insurance-related risk solutions. This non-exclusive cooperation is global, with users in multiple Munich Re operating geographies. All Munich Re entities and clients can benefit from the joint approach and tap into this solution. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210420005018/en/ Specifically developed for insurance, Akur8’s solution enhances insurers’ pricing processes by automating risk and demand modelling, using transparent Artificial Intelligence proprietary technology. The core benefits for insurers include a reduction in modellin
Woolworths Group Selects One Door to Improve the Store Team Experience20.4.2021 15:00:00 EEST | Press release
One Door, Inc., the leading provider of cloud-based visual merchandising software, today announced a new multi-year agreement with the Woolworths Group. Woolworths will implement One Door’s Merchandising Cloud platform across its supermarkets to simplify and streamline work for its in-store merchandising teams. “We are thrilled to partner with Woolworths to have a positive impact on the lives of their customers and team,” said Tom Erskine, CEO of One Door. “Woolworths is a proven retail innovator and we both believe we are only just beginning to jointly understand how these technologies can ultimately improve the work experience for store teams and improve the overall customer experience.” “We’re pleased to partner with One Door to roll out Merchandising Cloud for the benefit of our teams and customers,” said Doug Frank, Woolworths General Manager Group Data & Analytics. “One Door allows us to simplify a critical and time intensive task - making life easier for in-store merchandisers a
Globality Recognized as HFS Hot Vendor by HFS Research20.4.2021 15:00:00 EEST | Press release
Globality, the technology company behind the leading AI-powered digital Platform for sourcing complex, enterprise services, has been recognized as an HFS Hot Vendor by HFS Research, the leading analyst advisory authority covering global IT services, emerging technologies and business operations. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210420005687/en/ (Graphic: Business Wire) In the HFS Hot Vendor Report Q1 2021, HFS commends Globality for having “an innovative solution for smart self-sourcing utilizing the combination of automation, AI, and analytics,” while noting that “early mover advantage in the self-service procurement space provides a competitive advantage.” As the report highlights: “With Globality’s sourcing platform, enterprises can embark on intelligent self-service procurement that helps them understand the risks of what they buy, effectively collaborating with stakeholders during the sourcing process, ide
Anari AI Raises $2M to Rebuild the AI Hardware Industry Through Personalized Cloud Chips20.4.2021 14:59:00 EEST | Press release
Anari AI, an AI chip factory in the cloud, today announced it has raised $2 million in seed funding led by Earlybird, with participation from Acequia Capital, Serbian Entrepreneurs, and Eric Ries, author and founder of The Lean Startup. The new funding will be used to continue developing the platform and bring it to market. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210420005700/en/ Anari AI: Hardware as code (Photo: Business Wire) Anari’s platform makes it possible to design personalized AI chips in the cloud with just one click. With this approach, companies are able to build and deploy AI solutions in weeks instead of 12-18 months, and at a fraction of the cost of traditional hardware development. “AI continues to be growing in size and complexity, and this rate of growth is outpacing standard CPU and GPU performance gains,” said Roland Manger, co-founder and Partner at Earlybird. “Dedicated designs or flexible archit
New gPROMS Process – Process Modelling and Optimization for the Digital World20.4.2021 14:47:00 EEST | Press release
Process Systems Enterprise (PSE), a Siemens business, today released its rebranded gPROMS Process advanced process modelling environment. Formerly known as gPROMS ProcessBuilder, gPROMS Process 2.0 is the first major release since PSE was acquired by Siemens. Eckard Eberle, CEO of Siemens Digital Industries Process Automation division, says “the significantly enhanced capabilities and functionality you see in this release reflect the substantial investment Siemens is making into product development within PSE to provide the process industries with a new generation of digital tools.” Costas Pantelides, PSE CEO and architect of the gPROMS platform, says “The name change signifies a break with the past. Until now, ProcessBuilder has been an environment for sophisticated users who are typically running high-value, complex optimizations. This is the first release in a major, multi-year development programme that will bring the cutting-edge capabilities of the gPROMS platform to users across
Velodyne Lidar Signs Multi-Year Sales Agreement with Gatik20.4.2021 13:48:00 EEST | Press release
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. (Nasdaq: VLDR, VLDRW) today announced a multi-year sales agreement with Gatik, the industry leader in automating on-road transportation networks for B2B middle mile logistics. Gatik uses Velodyne’s lidar sensors as a key part of a fully redundant sensor suite to deliver goods safely and efficiently between micro-fulfilment centers, dark stores and retail locations – a logistics flow known as the middle mile. Gatik fulfills revenue-generating autonomous orders daily for multiple Fortune 500 customers in the US and Canada, including Walmart, reducing customer costs and keeping delivery times short. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210420005317/en/ Velodyne Lidar announced a multi-year sales agreement with Gatik, industry leader in automating on-road transportation networks for B2B middle mile logistics. Gatik uses Velodyne’s lidar sensors to support short-haul logistics with precise, reliable
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom