As Hilton Nears 100-Year Milestone, New Research Uncovers a World-Changing Impact
As Hilton (NYSE: HLT) heads toward a milestone 100th anniversary in 2019, best-selling author and Stanford Business professor Chip Heath will unveil the impact the first global hotel company has had around the world in a new book titled The Hilton Effect. Business author Karla Starr joined him in the examination of the company founded by Conrad Hilton, a dreamer who aspired to create much more than just a comfortable place to sleep.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181017005486/en/
As Hilton nears 100-year milestone, new research uncovers a world-changing impact. (Graphic: Business Wire)
Over the last century, Hilton has grown from a single hotel in Cisco, Texas, to nearly 5,500 hotels and 14 brands in 106 countries and territories. Hilton’s hotels have hosted more than 3 billion guests since 1919 and enlisted nearly 10 million Team Members in the company’s mission to fill the Earth with the light and warmth of hospitality.
The Hilton Effect, as the authors define it, is the positive, world-altering impact that Hilton has had, and continues to have, on billions of lives and thousands of communities around the globe – pioneering new travel markets and bringing people and cultures together to make the world feel smaller, while expanding horizons and opportunities.
“Most organizations celebrating their 100th birthday would be content to throw themselves a party, but Hilton opted to hire a pair of skeptical outsiders – business authors with backgrounds in social science – to examine its impact on the world,” Heath said. “The stories that emerged were even more remarkable than we initially suspected and what Hilton employees considered to be just another day at work was quite extraordinary.”
Through extensive independent research and in-depth interviews, Heath and Starr found deeper meaning in the history and influence of the company over the past century. The authors focused on three areas that define The Hilton Effect:
- The Hilton Effect on Guests – Hilton has influenced guests by easing travel and broadening perspectives – changing travel as we know it through a century of firsts, from air conditioning to a mobile-centric hotel room; creating the modern business travel industry; and innovating the guest experience, from the first concierge service for female travelers more than 50 years ago, to unexpected moments at the breakfast bar.
- The Hilton Effect on Team Members – Hilton has impacted employees by fostering a powerful entrepreneurial spirit and wide-ranging career opportunities – creating a culture where it’s possible for restaurant servers to become C-suite execs and for innovations to be driven from every corner of the company.
- The Hilton Effect on Communities and Economies – Hilton has become woven into the history, economies and infrastructure of communities all over the world, becoming indispensable focal points in the process – building roads out of nothing to develop remote areas of Nigeria, transforming the London skyline, revitalizing deserted docks in Buenos Aires and helping Sri Lanka survive and thrive during a civil war.
“I think the world is a better place because Hilton was born into it one hundred years ago,” said Christopher J. Nassetta, president and CEO, Hilton. “And if we continue to do our job, the world will be a better place because Hilton is in it for the next one hundred years.”
The Hilton Effect on Guests
Conrad Hilton was a visionary who had his first experience in hospitality hosting weary travelers on the road for work at his family’s boarding house and later at his first hotels.
Since then, Heath said, the company Hilton built has had an unmatched impact on modern travel. Hilton was the first hotel company to cater extensively to business travelers so they can focus their time and energy on the all-important meeting or negotiation, rather than the challenges of navigating an unfamiliar place. And throughout its history, Hilton has introduced numerous innovations offering comfort and convenience to all guests. Those industry firsts include air-conditioned hotel lobbies, and cold running water and televisions in guest rooms – not to mention food and beverage items like the piña colada and brownie.
Hilton has influenced billions of guests by easing travel, creating familiar, comfortable, and efficient systems to empower travelers to broaden and build perspectives, social connections and trust, thus furthering their understanding and appreciation for other cultures and ideas:
- Lady Hilton – Hilton revolutionized travel for women venturing out into the world for the first time in 1965 by creating the first hotel service for female travelers.
- Hampton by Hilton – The hotel serves up social connections and elevated guest experiences every day via an unexpected means – fresh-baked waffles.
- London Hilton on Park Lane – Since conception, the hotel has become a cultural icon and welcomed guests of all backgrounds and cultures to share ideas, stimulate creativity and make connections.
- Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam – A visionary general manager saw the opportunity to convert deserted buildings into a world premier hotel delivering remarkable experiences that connect guests to local culture and history.
The Hilton Effect on Team Members
As recounted by Heath, Hilton has impacted millions of employees – which are referred to as Team Members at the company – by fostering the powerful entrepreneurial spirit and autonomy that Conrad Hilton established. That legacy continues to create grassroots innovation across all levels and departments, offering extensive career opportunities:
- Chris Silcock – This longtime team member grew from a banquet waiter at Hilton Watford to become a C-suite executive leading a global team from the company’s global headquarters.
- Dianna Vaughan – Like founder Conrad Hilton, Vaughan’s first exposure to the industry was helping at a family business as a child. That experience at her aunt’s roadside inn and later as a night manager shaped her remarkable career trajectory and leadership style.
- Hilton Americas-Houston – The entrepreneurial team member spirit explored by Heath includes a general manager’s powerful response to Hurricane Harvey, a chef innovating food and beverage offerings, and an engineer impacting the environment and hotel’s bottom line.
The Hilton Effect on Communities and Economies
Hilton has been the first to enter numerous emerging markets around the globe, has often remained during difficult times, and has led the charge on revitalizing areas that lost hope. By serving this important role, Hilton has become woven into the history, economies, and infrastructure of communities all over the world:
- Buenos Aires – Hilton revived Puerto Madero in the midst of an economic depression, transforming dilapidated docks into a thriving hub.
- York, Penn. – The long-vacant Yorktowne Hotel will reopen as part of the Tapestry Collection by Hilton and is expected to create a focal point for the area and boost the local economy even prior to opening.
- Abuja – Hilton produced infrastructure in Nigeria’s newly formed capital, creating sewage and electric systems, building factories, paving roads and recruiting team members from around the world to quickly teach locals – many of whom had never set foot in a hotel – to deliver five-star service to nearly 1,000 government officials.
- Sri Lanka – Despite a civil war, bombs, air raids and cyclones, Hilton Colombo maintained its business and staff, providing a sanctuary to the community and team members.
“Conrad Hilton’s vision was simple – to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality – but he couldn’t have predicted how committing to his dream would take on different meanings throughout the world over the 100 years,” said Nassetta. “With our 100th milestone around the corner, we are welcoming more guests, employing more people and opening more hotels than ever before – and our impact will continue to shape the globe for the next century and beyond, affecting future generations of travelers.”
The Hilton Effect by Chip Heath and Karla Starr is available for download here and will soon be available on Amazon. Proceeds from Amazon will benefit The Hilton Responds Fund, which provides support to Hilton Team Members and the communities they serve in times of need.
Click here to watch a video on the Hilton Effect.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company, with a portfolio of 14 world-class brands comprising more than 5,400 properties with nearly 880,000 rooms, in 106 countries and territories. Hilton is dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company by delivering exceptional experiences – every hotel, every guest, every time. The company's portfolio includes Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Curio Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Hilton Grand Vacations. The company also manages an award-winning customer loyalty program, Hilton Honors. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose exactly how many Points to combine with money, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, and free standard Wi-Fi. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista ensimmäisten joukossa? Kun tilaat mediatiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi välittömästi julkaisuhetkellä. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Warm welcome for ABB Formula E in Davos19.1.2019 12:00 | Tiedote
Just a few days before the start of the World Economic Forum 2019, Davos is celebrating a world premiere: The latest ABB FIA Formula E racing car - dubbed Gen2 – was transported on a train from the iconic Swiss Rhaetian Railway to Europe’s highest city, where it will be an exciting eyecatcher during the coming week at the Davos Platz railway station. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190119005003/en/ ABB FIA Formula E racing car in Davos (Photo: Business Wire) From this Saturday until next Sunday, January 27, the Gen2 will be on display in a special glass case. Interested passersby can learn about the ABB FIA Formula E racing series as well as about the activities of ABB in e-mobility via an information system. With over 8,500 fast charging stations installed in 70 countries around the world, ABB is the global market leader for charging infrastructures. To watch the video, click here ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is
PMI’s Mission Winnow Goes Full Throttle with Ducati Corse for 2019 MotoGP™18.1.2019 20:00 | Tiedote
Philip Morris International Inc. (PMI) (NYSE: PM) is pleased to announce that its Mission Winnow initiative is expanding in 2019 to include the Ducati Corse racing team. Mission Winnow is a PMI-led campaign to raise global awareness of our passion and determination to constantly improve and evolve, as well as highlight the power of science, technology and innovation to build a better future. PMI has partnered with Ducati Corse since 2002 and has extended the relationship for another three years until the end of 2021. As of the start of this year’s MotoGP season, the team will be officially known as Mission Winnow Ducati. Mission Winnow was first launched in October 2018 with Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow, which – like Ducati Corse – has a passion for innovation and a relentless drive to improve in the team’s pursuit of victory. Ducati Corse is one of the most inspiring and resilient teams in MotoGP, with a 70-year history in racing. Ducati fans form a passionate community who appreci
IFF’s Frutarom Division Completes Acquisition of 60% of Thailand-based Mighty18.1.2019 15:50 | Tiedote
Regulatory News: International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE:IFF) (Euronext Paris:IFF) (TASE:IFF), announced that its Frutarom Division has completed the acquisition of 60% of the share capital of The Mighty CO. LTD. (“Mighty”), a leading savory solutions provider in Thailand, thus continuing its growth strategy in Southeast Asia. Amos Anatot, President of IFF's Frutarom Division, said, “The completion of this deal with Mighty underscores that the Frutarom division will continue on its growth strategy and pursue attractive companies that create new opportunities or build on current capabilities.” Mr. Anatot continued, “And in this case, we are helping to grow our capabilities in savory solutions – already an area of strength for legacy Frutarom, now IFF." Mighty, founded in 1989, develops, produces and markets reaction flavors, with particular expertise in savory solutions. The company’s portfolio includes flavors, seasoning blends, marinades, and specialty functional raw materials f
LTI Q3 FY19: Constant currency revenue growth up 6.1% QoQ and 20.6% YoY; Net Profit jumps 32.8% YoY18.1.2019 15:02 | Tiedote
Larsen & Toubro Infotech (BSE code: 540005, NSE: LTI), a global technology consulting and digital solutions company, announced its Q3 FY19 results today. In US Dollars: Revenue at USD 346.9 million; growth of 5.6% QoQ and 18.2% YoY Constant Currency Revenue growth of 6.1% QoQ and 20.6% YoY In Indian Rupees: Revenue at Rs 24,729 million; growth of 6.1% QoQ and 31.3% YoY Net Income at Rs 3,755 million; growth of (6.2%) QoQ and 32.8% YoY “We are pleased to deliver another strong quarter with 5.6% QoQ growth in USD revenues. Our broad-based revenue growth, superior margin delivery and steady cash generation in Q3 is a testimony of our focused execution and client centricity. We are also thrilled to welcome Ruletronics to LTI family. Ruletronics enables businesses to transform and evolve digitally by providing innovative BPM and CRM solutions leveraging Pega Platform.” - Sanjay Jalona, Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, LTI Recent Deal Wins Nets, the leading payments company in th
Schlumberger Announces Full-Year and Fourth-Quarter 2018 Results18.1.2019 15:00 | Tiedote
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE: SLB) today reported results for full-year 2018 and the fourth quarter of 2018. (Stated in millions, except per share amounts) Full-Year Results Twelve Months Ended Change Dec. 31, 2018 Dec. 31, 2017 Year-on-year Revenue $32,815 $30,440 8% Pretax operating income $4,187 $3,921 7% Pretax operating margin 12.8% 12.9% -12 bps Net income (loss) - GAAP basis $2,138 $(1,505) n/m Net income, excluding charges & credits* $2,261 $2,085 8% Diluted EPS (loss per share) - GAAP basis $1.53 $(1.08) n/m Diluted EPS, excluding charges and credits* $1.62 $1.50 8% Full-Year Consolidated Revenue by Area North America $11,984 $9,487 26% Latin America 3,745 3,976 -6% Europe/CIS/Africa 7,158 7,072 1% Middle East & Asia 9,543 9,394 2% Other 385 511 n/m $32,815 $30,440 8% North America revenue $11,984 $9,487 26% International revenue $20,446 $20,442 - North America revenue, excluding Cameron $9,668 $7,518 29% International revenue, excluding Cameron $17,675 $17,423 1% *These are non
FLIR Systems Awarded $89 Million Contract from French Armed Forces to Deliver Black Hornet Personal Reconnaissance System18.1.2019 14:00 | Tiedote
FLIR Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: FLIR) announced today it has been awarded a contract from the French Defense Procurement Agency (DGA) in support of the French Operational Pocket Drone (DrOP) program. The contract has a ceiling value of $89 million to provide the FLIR Black Hornet® 3 nano-unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) and Personal Reconnaissance System (PRS) to support French Armed Forces operations. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190118005085/en/ The French Armed Forces awarded FLIR Systems a contract to deliver the Black Hornet Personal Reconnaissance System for military operations. (Photo: Business Wire) The Black Hornet PRS is the world’s smallest combat-proven nano-Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) and is currently deployed in more than 30 countries. The Black Hornet enables the warfighter to maintain situational awareness, threat detection, and surveillance no matter where the mission takes them. Equipped with el
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme