As Hilton Nears 100-Year Milestone, New Research Uncovers a World-Changing Impact
As Hilton (NYSE: HLT) heads toward a milestone 100th anniversary in 2019, best-selling author and Stanford Business professor Chip Heath will unveil the impact the first global hotel company has had around the world in a new book titled The Hilton Effect. Business author Karla Starr joined him in the examination of the company founded by Conrad Hilton, a dreamer who aspired to create much more than just a comfortable place to sleep.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181017005486/en/
As Hilton nears 100-year milestone, new research uncovers a world-changing impact. (Graphic: Business Wire)
Over the last century, Hilton has grown from a single hotel in Cisco, Texas, to nearly 5,500 hotels and 14 brands in 106 countries and territories. Hilton’s hotels have hosted more than 3 billion guests since 1919 and enlisted nearly 10 million Team Members in the company’s mission to fill the Earth with the light and warmth of hospitality.
The Hilton Effect, as the authors define it, is the positive, world-altering impact that Hilton has had, and continues to have, on billions of lives and thousands of communities around the globe – pioneering new travel markets and bringing people and cultures together to make the world feel smaller, while expanding horizons and opportunities.
“Most organizations celebrating their 100th birthday would be content to throw themselves a party, but Hilton opted to hire a pair of skeptical outsiders – business authors with backgrounds in social science – to examine its impact on the world,” Heath said. “The stories that emerged were even more remarkable than we initially suspected and what Hilton employees considered to be just another day at work was quite extraordinary.”
Through extensive independent research and in-depth interviews, Heath and Starr found deeper meaning in the history and influence of the company over the past century. The authors focused on three areas that define The Hilton Effect:
- The Hilton Effect on Guests – Hilton has influenced guests by easing travel and broadening perspectives – changing travel as we know it through a century of firsts, from air conditioning to a mobile-centric hotel room; creating the modern business travel industry; and innovating the guest experience, from the first concierge service for female travelers more than 50 years ago, to unexpected moments at the breakfast bar.
- The Hilton Effect on Team Members – Hilton has impacted employees by fostering a powerful entrepreneurial spirit and wide-ranging career opportunities – creating a culture where it’s possible for restaurant servers to become C-suite execs and for innovations to be driven from every corner of the company.
- The Hilton Effect on Communities and Economies – Hilton has become woven into the history, economies and infrastructure of communities all over the world, becoming indispensable focal points in the process – building roads out of nothing to develop remote areas of Nigeria, transforming the London skyline, revitalizing deserted docks in Buenos Aires and helping Sri Lanka survive and thrive during a civil war.
“I think the world is a better place because Hilton was born into it one hundred years ago,” said Christopher J. Nassetta, president and CEO, Hilton. “And if we continue to do our job, the world will be a better place because Hilton is in it for the next one hundred years.”
The Hilton Effect on Guests
Conrad Hilton was a visionary who had his first experience in hospitality hosting weary travelers on the road for work at his family’s boarding house and later at his first hotels.
Since then, Heath said, the company Hilton built has had an unmatched impact on modern travel. Hilton was the first hotel company to cater extensively to business travelers so they can focus their time and energy on the all-important meeting or negotiation, rather than the challenges of navigating an unfamiliar place. And throughout its history, Hilton has introduced numerous innovations offering comfort and convenience to all guests. Those industry firsts include air-conditioned hotel lobbies, and cold running water and televisions in guest rooms – not to mention food and beverage items like the piña colada and brownie.
Hilton has influenced billions of guests by easing travel, creating familiar, comfortable, and efficient systems to empower travelers to broaden and build perspectives, social connections and trust, thus furthering their understanding and appreciation for other cultures and ideas:
- Lady Hilton – Hilton revolutionized travel for women venturing out into the world for the first time in 1965 by creating the first hotel service for female travelers.
- Hampton by Hilton – The hotel serves up social connections and elevated guest experiences every day via an unexpected means – fresh-baked waffles.
- London Hilton on Park Lane – Since conception, the hotel has become a cultural icon and welcomed guests of all backgrounds and cultures to share ideas, stimulate creativity and make connections.
- Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam – A visionary general manager saw the opportunity to convert deserted buildings into a world premier hotel delivering remarkable experiences that connect guests to local culture and history.
The Hilton Effect on Team Members
As recounted by Heath, Hilton has impacted millions of employees – which are referred to as Team Members at the company – by fostering the powerful entrepreneurial spirit and autonomy that Conrad Hilton established. That legacy continues to create grassroots innovation across all levels and departments, offering extensive career opportunities:
- Chris Silcock – This longtime team member grew from a banquet waiter at Hilton Watford to become a C-suite executive leading a global team from the company’s global headquarters.
- Dianna Vaughan – Like founder Conrad Hilton, Vaughan’s first exposure to the industry was helping at a family business as a child. That experience at her aunt’s roadside inn and later as a night manager shaped her remarkable career trajectory and leadership style.
- Hilton Americas-Houston – The entrepreneurial team member spirit explored by Heath includes a general manager’s powerful response to Hurricane Harvey, a chef innovating food and beverage offerings, and an engineer impacting the environment and hotel’s bottom line.
The Hilton Effect on Communities and Economies
Hilton has been the first to enter numerous emerging markets around the globe, has often remained during difficult times, and has led the charge on revitalizing areas that lost hope. By serving this important role, Hilton has become woven into the history, economies, and infrastructure of communities all over the world:
- Buenos Aires – Hilton revived Puerto Madero in the midst of an economic depression, transforming dilapidated docks into a thriving hub.
- York, Penn. – The long-vacant Yorktowne Hotel will reopen as part of the Tapestry Collection by Hilton and is expected to create a focal point for the area and boost the local economy even prior to opening.
- Abuja – Hilton produced infrastructure in Nigeria’s newly formed capital, creating sewage and electric systems, building factories, paving roads and recruiting team members from around the world to quickly teach locals – many of whom had never set foot in a hotel – to deliver five-star service to nearly 1,000 government officials.
- Sri Lanka – Despite a civil war, bombs, air raids and cyclones, Hilton Colombo maintained its business and staff, providing a sanctuary to the community and team members.
“Conrad Hilton’s vision was simple – to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality – but he couldn’t have predicted how committing to his dream would take on different meanings throughout the world over the 100 years,” said Nassetta. “With our 100th milestone around the corner, we are welcoming more guests, employing more people and opening more hotels than ever before – and our impact will continue to shape the globe for the next century and beyond, affecting future generations of travelers.”
The Hilton Effect by Chip Heath and Karla Starr is available for download here and will soon be available on Amazon. Proceeds from Amazon will benefit The Hilton Responds Fund, which provides support to Hilton Team Members and the communities they serve in times of need.
Click here to watch a video on the Hilton Effect.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company, with a portfolio of 14 world-class brands comprising more than 5,400 properties with nearly 880,000 rooms, in 106 countries and territories. Hilton is dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company by delivering exceptional experiences – every hotel, every guest, every time. The company's portfolio includes Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Curio Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Hilton Grand Vacations. The company also manages an award-winning customer loyalty program, Hilton Honors. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose exactly how many Points to combine with money, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, and free standard Wi-Fi. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Tilaa tiedotteet sähköpostiisi
Haluatko tietää asioista ensimmäisten joukossa? Kun tilaat mediatiedotteemme, saat ne sähköpostiisi välittömästi julkaisuhetkellä. Tilauksen voit halutessasi perua milloin tahansa.
Lue lisää julkaisijalta Business Wire
Grid Parity Facilitates PV Innovations in Efficiency Improvements27.6.2019 10:00:00 EEST | Tiedote
PV professionals and industry leaders, including Vikram Solar, Jinko, Longi, and GCL-Si, have gathered in Shanghai to exchange market insights at a seminar titled “2H19 PV Market Outlook and Forecast.” This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190627005246/en/ Held by PV InfoLink, a leading market research company, the seminar went over issues revolving solar PV, spanning market and product trends, technology innovations, how tracker matters in subsidy-free PV, and policy changes, providing forecast and solutions for the fast-paced industry. Reviewing the first half of this year, PV demand saw continuous growth worldwide. As shown in China’s customs data, the country exported 22.4 GW of modules between this January and April, representing 90% YoY growth from the same period last year. The U.S. and Europe have both witnessed a sustained growth so far. India, one of world’s largest PV markets, is also expected to see high
SES Successfully Renews EUR 1.2 Billion Credit Facility27.6.2019 09:55:00 EEST | Tiedote
SES S.A. is pleased to announce the successful renewal of the company’s EUR 1,200,000,000 Committed Revolving Credit Facility. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190626005846/en/ SES Successfully Renews EUR 1.2 Billion Credit Facility (Photo: Business Wire) Following strong support from existing lenders, the facility was considerably oversubscribed having received a high level of early bird commitments from a number of banks. The facility is for general corporate purposes and has been structured as a 5-year, multi-currency revolving credit facility with an option to extend until 2026 (5+1+1). The margin for the new facility is 40 basis points (for a Baa2/BBB rating) above EURIBOR and is 5 basis points inside the pricing of the former syndicated and committed credit facility closed in January 2014. Andrew Browne, Chief Financial Officer of SES, commented: “This financing further strengthens our liquidity profile a
Mass Deployments of IoT Solutions Transforming China, Says GSMA27.6.2019 04:30:00 EEST | Tiedote
Chinese mobile operators are leading the world in the deployment of transformative Internet of Things (IoT) solutions, the GSMA announced today. By connecting the estimated 960 million1 devices via cellular networks, the country is realising the value of the IoT and transforming society through mass market deployments of smart home, smart industry and smart city solutions. According to GSMA Intelligence, China is the world’s largest IoT market with 64 per cent of the 1.5 billion global cellular connections including the rapidly growing Mobile IoT licensed LPWA technologies2. “Backed by proactive government support, China is now at the forefront in the development and mass deployment of innovative and transformative IoT based solutions based on Mobile IoT technology,” said Alex Sinclair, Chief Technology Officer, GSMA. “These new technologies are being implemented across multiple different vertical sectors fundamentally altering the way we live and work, delivering real-time information
Gemalto Instant Connect Signals New Era in Effortless Mobile Connectivity for Consumer eSIM-equipped Devices 27.6.2019 02:00:00 EEST | Tiedote
Thales announces the launch of Gemalto Instant Connect, a pioneering connectivity solution to simplify the connection of eSIM-enabled devices on a mobile network. While users are spared the inconvenience of establishing a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection to kick-start their mobile experience, OEMs and mobile operators can now provision devices with mobile connectivity at their first use, and not during manufacturing, saving both time and cost. Connected PCs and laptops will be the first devices to integrate this faster and more efficient approach to out-of-the-box connectivity for eSIMs. Going forwards, a wide array of OEMs and mobile operators stand to benefit from the solution, which is fully compliant with the latest GSMA Remote SIM Provisioning specifications. Between 2018 and 2022, an estimated 2.3 billion eSIM-compliant consumer devices will be shipped worldwide 1 . To date, eSIM-equipped devices have had to rely on some form of primary connectivity before they are able to activate
Quanterix Announces Agreement to Acquire UmanDiagnostics, World’s Leading Neurofilament Light (Nf-L) Antibody Supplier26.6.2019 23:00:00 EEST | Tiedote
Quanterix Corporation (NASDAQ: QTRX), a company digitizing biomarker analysis with the goal of advancing the science of precision health, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately held UmanDiagnostics AB for $22.5 million, comprised of $16 million in cash plus $6.5 million in Quanterix common stock. Uman is widely recognized to possess the leading antibodies available today to measure neurofilament light (Nf-L) and has become the provider of choice for biopharmaceutical and diagnostic applications. Uman, based in Umeå, Sweden, supplies Nf-L antibodies and ELISA kits, which are widely recognized by researchers and biopharmaceutical and diagnostics companies world-wide as the premier solution for the detection of Nf-L to advance the development of therapeutics and diagnostics for neurodegenerative conditions. Nf-L has seen a dramatic growth in the last three years since Quanterix developed the first assay using Uman’s antibodies that could relia
Elliott Statement on Bayer26.6.2019 19:44:00 EEST | Tiedote
Elliott Advisors (UK) Limited (“Elliott”), which advises funds that collectively hold shares of Bayer A.G. (“Bayer” or “the Company”) and economic equivalents with an aggregate value of €1.1 billion, acknowledges Bayer’s announcement to create a special litigation committee of the Supervisory Board (the “Special Committee”), and the retention of Mr. John Beisner of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, as legal advisor to the Supervisory Board and Special Committee. Elliott welcomes these steps, and is confident that today’s statement marks a step change in Bayer’s approach to addressing the legal challenges currently facing the Company. Elliott believes that the creation of the Special Committee will provide a new level of oversight and a fresh perspective to a litigation strategy in need of a radical overhaul, and help guide the Company towards a rational, fair and swift settlement. The appointment of Mr. John Beisner not only provides Bayer with relevant litigation expertise, bu
Uutishuoneessa voit lukea tiedotteitamme ja muuta julkaisemaamme materiaalia. Löydät sieltä niin yhteyshenkilöidemme tiedot kuin vapaasti julkaistavissa olevia kuvia ja videoita. Uutishuoneessa voit nähdä myös sosiaalisen median sisältöjä. Kaikki STT Infossa julkaistu materiaali on vapaasti median käytettävissä.Tutustu uutishuoneeseemme