Avalara Enhances VAT Solutions to Enable Global Businesses to Manage VAT Registrations, Calculations, and Reporting
Avalara, Inc. (NYSE: AVLR), a leading provider of cloud-based tax compliance automation for businesses of all sizes, today announced updated products to help businesses comply with new value-added tax (VAT) rules for ecommerce in the EU that went into effect July 1, 2021 — Avalara VAT Registration, Avalara AvaTax for VAT, and Avalara VAT Reporting. Over the past several years, an onslaught of significant VAT legislative changes has further burdened businesses selling into and throughout Europe. Businesses navigating the compliance complexities of global trade are seeking integrated solutions to keep pace with changing rules.
“The new EU ecommerce reforms have far-reaching impacts on international and domestic sellers doing business in Europe,” said Kevin Permenter, research manager, IDC. “B2B and B2C ecommerce businesses and marketplaces alike can benefit from automated solutions to simplify the entire VAT compliance life cycle from registrations to calculations to reporting.”
EU VAT reforms heap complexity onto businesses
On July 1, 2021, member states of the European Union (EU) rolled out significant changes to VAT obligations for B2C ecommerce, including the EU One-Stop Shop, the Import One-Stop Shop, and marketplace deemed supplier obligations. These reforms come as part of an effort to tackle the €137 billion ecommerce VAT fraud gap. Each reform brings changes and associated complexity for domestic and international sellers in the EU, including:
- One-Stop Shop (OSS) allows intra-EU sellers to report all their pan-EU distance sales on a single VAT return in their home country instead of having multiple VAT registrations across the EU. The aim is to boost cross-border online trade and promote trade across the EU’s digital single market by reducing compliance obligations.
- Import One-Stop Shop (IOSS) gives non-EU sellers the option to register for IOSS in just one EU state to declare the VAT on B2C sales and imports of consignments below €150. However, non-EU sellers may require an intermediary to register for IOSS. There are instances where a facilitating marketplace (see marketplace deemed supplier rules) or delivery service may step in to report and pay the VAT. If any seller chooses not to use the IOSS, the customer may have to pay the delivery or customs agent to access their goods.
- Marketplace deemed supplier requires online marketplaces to collect VAT in place of sellers as the deemed supplier. Due to the rapid increase on digital commerce, deemed supplier laws aim to ensure VAT is collected on all online sales, including those completed through marketplaces.
“These changes, which have been part of the EU road map, herald a massive opportunity for business growth. Businesses of all sizes and stripes, including ecommerce and marketplaces, can now start to unlock access to the world’s largest trading bloc,” said Salim Ali, senior vice president of International at Avalara.
Automate VAT compliance with Avalara
Avalara’s enhanced VAT compliance solutions provide global businesses with features that help navigate the new OSS, IOSS, and marketplace deemed supplier laws across the EU, as well as optimize overall VAT compliance through automation.
VAT registration management . Streamline the process of researching and obtaining VAT registrations for multiple countries:
Avalara VAT Registration enables businesses to simplify the burdensome process of registering to collect VAT across 74 countries. This enables global retailers and marketplaces to:
- Streamline VAT registrations. Reduce time and money spent registering in every country by automating the process once in a single language and remove the manual back-and-forth process between businesses and tax authorities to receive approved registrations more quickly.
- Address fiscal representation requirements. Avoid delays and noncompliance with comprehensive fiscal representation. A fiscal representative is a local entity that represents a nonresident company and assumes joint liability for value-added tax (VAT) compliance. To date, 19 countries across the EU require foreign businesses to register a fiscal representative to manage queries and VAT return filing obligations with local tax authorities.
“Managing the process of VAT registrations on our own was time-consuming and complex, especially when it came to managing our marketplace transactions,” said Abi Lucas Maia, CEO at Yum Biltong LDA, a provider of high-quality biltong products. “Avalara VAT Registration saves time and frustration by making the process as simple as scanning the documents into the system and being able to walk away.”
VAT calculation management. Comply with new legislation and improve the accuracy of VAT calculations on domestic and cross-border transactions:
Avalara AvaTax for VAT helps businesses calculate VAT with a greater degree of accuracy to comply with new compliance rules and regulations across the EU. This enables global retailers to:
- Increase VAT compliance. Reduce audit risk by applying up-to-date tax information across transactions when invoicing and charging customers.
- Improve operational efficiency. Free up resources dedicated to VAT calculations by automating the time-consuming process of aggregating and maintaining complex tax rates and rules across multiple systems. AvaTax for VAT automates updates with integrations into business systems like enterprise resource planning (ERP), point of sale (POS), ecommerce, and other customer applications.
- Enhance customer experience. Reduce surprise costs at delivery for international customers by taxing delivery duty paid (DPP) — where the seller takes responsibility for duties, taxes, and other fees — at checkout.
VAT reporting management. Streamline the VAT reporting process through automation with more accuracy and control. Avalara offers three tiers of VAT reporting platforms designed to fit reporting needs for businesses of all sizes:
Avalara VAT Reporting for Small Business provides small businesses with an online self-service portal to simplify the management of international VAT returns. This enables small businesses to:
- Grow the business internationally. Reduce the complexity of VAT compliance as the small business grows into new international jurisdictions by using an up-to-date tax filing calendar and easy-to-use tools to format local VAT returns correctly.
- Increase business efficiency and data visibility. Save time, reduce the total cost of preparation and filing, and increase visibility into the entire filing process by using an online self-service portal.
Avalara Managed VAT Reporting provides small to medium-sized businesses with an automated international VAT tax filing and returns solution to manage the entire VAT preparation and filing process across jurisdictions. In addition to the benefits of VAT Reporting for Small Business, this enables businesses to:
- Automate VAT reporting for multiple countries. Use intelligent automated preparation and filing technology to simplify the entire reporting process regardless of the number of channels used or countries sold to.
Avalara Managed VAT Reporting Premium provides medium to large businesses with an outsourced solution for custom handling of VAT returns filing. In addition to the benefits of Managed VAT Reporting, this enables enterprises to:
- Reduce business disruption. Have a dedicated preparer to help ensure local VAT returns are filed correctly and on time, while reducing the need to train personnel and disrupt ongoing business processes.
“Europe is critical to the continued growth of sellers, retailers, and marketplaces," said Sanjay Parthasarathy, chief product officer at Avalara. "New compliance reforms and rules across the EU have created new complexities for international businesses and our enhanced VAT solutions provide them with the technology needed to simplify, streamline, and manage the entire VAT compliance life cycle.”
For additional information on Avalara’s VAT solutions, please click here.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes get tax compliance right. In partnership with leading ERP, accounting, ecommerce, and other financial management system providers, Avalara delivers cloud-based compliance solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, GST, excise, communications, lodging, and other indirect tax types. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world in Brazil, Europe, and India. More information at avalara.com.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Andersen Global Expands into Puerto Rico with San Juan-Based Law Firm3.8.2021 16:30:00 EEST | Press release
Andersen Global extends its reach into the Puerto Rican market with San Juan-based law firm Casillas, Santiago & Torres, LLC (CST Law). Founded in 2011, CST Law is a full-service firm focusing on business and commercial law with capabilities in corporate, tax, commercial and employment law litigation, real estate, immigration, labor and employment law, employee benefits and government affairs. The firm covers a variety of industries such as retail, wholesale, real estate, manufacturing, tourism, financial services, technology, telecommunications and construction, providing legal services to a range of clients including major multinational companies. “Our firm has built long-lasting relationships with our clients through our commitment to transparency and quality of work we provide,” said Managing Partner Luis L. Torres. “As our clients’ operations continue to expand into multiple jurisdictions, their need for integrated and seamless services also increases. Our collaboration with Ander
IDEMIA Top Leader in NIST Flight Boarding Simulation Showcasing High Accuracy of Algorithms3.8.2021 16:30:00 EEST | Press release
IDEMIA, the global leader in augmented identity, announced today that the company ranked second for passenger identification in the latest testing by the National Institute of Standards (NIST), confirming that IDEMIA’s facial recognition technology and algorithms are among the most accurate, fair and consistent in market. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210803005333/en/ Credits : IDEMIA The test focuses on ‘Identification for Paperless Travel and Immigration’ and is part of the ongoing Facial Recognition Vendor Test (FRVT) managed by NIST. The exercise simulated departing flights, populating galleries with photos of 420 arriving travelers at the airport, then measuring accuracy by running searches of photos at departure. IDEMIA’s technology conducted 536 simulated aircraft boardings, without experiencing a single false negative, which translates to a secure and frictionless boarding experience for passengers.
New Enhancements to OPEX® Sure Sort® Robotic Sorting System Expand Capabilities and Increase Productivity for Warehouse Automation Customers3.8.2021 16:10:00 EEST | Press release
OPEX® Corporation, a leading provider of innovative warehouse automation solutions worldwide, has made enhancements to one of its most popular products to better meet warehouse customers’ needs. First introduced in 2017, the Sure Sort® small-item robotic sorting system has revolutionized order fulfillment in e-commerce distribution centers worldwide due to its compact array of sort locations that can be scaled, sized, and customized in the small footprint of a single-pass put wall. Sure Sort quickly and accurately processes up to 2,400 items per hour with limited labor. Sure Sort easily directs a wide range of items, including cylindrical, clear, plastic bagged and blister pack items less than five pounds each. It can handle items as small as two inches in length and width and can support products as large as 15 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 6 inches high thanks to the new modifications OPEX just made. “Sure Sort previously only handled items four inches high,” said Monty McVaugh, M
New Members Have Joined HD-PLC Alliance to Accelerate the HD-PLC Advancement Towards a Global Power Line Communication Standard3.8.2021 16:00:00 EEST | Press release
HD-PLC Alliance (*1), Fukuoka, Japan (Alliance) announced that 4 newcomers has joined the alliance this year. The member list on Alliance website was updated as follows; MicroChip Technology as Supporter since July, is a leading provider of smart, connected and secure embedded control solutions. Its easy-to-use development tools and comprehensive product portfolio enable customers to create optimal designs which reduce risk while lowering total system cost and time to market. The company’s solutions serve more than 120,000 customers across the industrial, automotive, consumer, aerospace and defense, communications and computing markets. Microchip is headquartered in Chandler, Arizona. LVX Global, as Supporter since May, is an international technology solutions business that identifies, designs, delivers and manages high value, scalable, replicable social outcomes at the intersection of technology, engineering, and human behavioural science. Helvetia, as Standard since May, is a Japanes
SoftServe Opens New Office in Dubai3.8.2021 14:05:00 EEST | Press release
SoftServe, a leading global digital authority and consulting company, has opened a new office in Dubai as part of its initiative to support the rapidly expanding user base in the Middle East. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210803005011/en/ (Graphic: Business Wire) SoftServe has been supporting customers in the region since 2018, delivering solutions for large conglomerate customers in the retail, finance, and energy sectors. As a developing and dynamic hub for investment with a growing population and considerable opportunity for activity in the non-oil sectors, the Middle East plays a crucial role in SoftServe’s growth strategy. The new office is located at Building No. 16, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. “We are excited to bring our expertise to meet the growing demand for software development and digital transformation in this region,” says Volodymyr Semenyshyn, Executive Vice President EM
DigitalEd Announces Growth Investment From PSG3.8.2021 14:00:00 EEST | Press release
Today, DigitalEd announces a growth investment from PSG; a leading growth equity firm partnering with middle-market software and technology-enabled services companies. DigitalEd provides a SaaS-based digital learning platform called Möbius, focusing on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education. PSG is DigitalEd’s sole outside investor. Financial terms were not disclosed. DigitalEd was founded in 2018 with a simple and resonant mission - to shape the world through digital learning. DigitalEd provides individual learning, in a shared world, allowing students to acquire knowledge at a guided, self-defined pace. DigitalEd currently supports over 300 educational institutions worldwide, administering over 20 million tests and assignments, supporting online learning for world-class universities, institutes of technology, and community colleges. Möbius is an innovative and comprehensive platform for STEM education. The platform is designed to reduce the time educators n
Quanergy Demonstrates the Industry First OPA-based Solid State LiDAR with 100 Meter Range3.8.2021 13:00:00 EEST | Press release
Quanergy Systems, Inc., a leading provider of OPA-based solid state LiDAR sensors and smart 3D solutions for automotive and IoT, today announced the successful driving demonstration of its S3 Series LiDAR, a true solid state LiDAR sensor using an industry-first Optical Phased Array (OPA) technology and a scalable CMOS silicon manufacturing process for cost-effective, mass-market production. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210803005475/en/ Quanergy Demonstrates the Industry First OPA-based Solid State LiDAR with 100 Meter Range (Photo: Business Wire) The demonstration was conducted in partnership with Zero Electric Vehicle Inc. (ZEV), an innovative sustainable energy company that provides fleet electrification and EV platforms for companies looking to maximize their existing assets while transitioning to electric transportation. For this test, a solid-state LiDAR test platform with single scanning beam was moun
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom