CES 2020 Wraps: AI and 5G Define the Future of Innovation
CES® 2020 wrapped today, following a week filled with over 20,000 product debuts unveiling the future of technology. More than 4,400 exhibiting companies launched their latest tech products to some 170,000 attendees across more than 2.9 million net square feet of exhibit space. From global tech brands to pioneering startups, the innovation at CES 2020 will revolutionize markets and change our world for the better.
“CES 2020 inspired and connected every major industry across the globe,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of the Consumer Technology Association (CTA)TM, owner and producer of CES. “The innovation unveiled at CES 2020 will reshape industries, create jobs, fuel the global economy and improve lives around the world.”
“This week at CES illustrated that every company is truly a tech company,” said Karen Chupka, executive vice president, CES. “Global technology brands blended with non-traditional tech companies to showcase how innovation is furthering business across all markets – setting the stage for the decade ahead.”
Key Themes at CES
CES 2020 featured the entire spectrum of transformative technology that will redefine markets and shift business models, including:
- AI was dominant throughout the show floor and will be a ‘key ingredient technology’ over the next decade. Companies debuted their latest AI solutions, including Brunswick, Doosan, John Deere and Kyocera.
5G and Mobile Connectivity
- CES is the only show where the entire 5G ecosystem – the backbone for connectivity, transportation, augmented and virtual reality, digital health and more – comes together. Carriers and mobile operators, such as Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, Nokia and Ericsson, demonstrated the latest advancements in 5G’s speed, reliability and efficiency.
Non-Traditional Tech Companies at CES
- Non-traditional companies used CES 2020 as a platform to launch products. Impossible Foods returned to CES 2020, debuting its Impossible Pork; John Deere was featured in the AI & Robotics Marketplace and other companies, such as Bell, Delta Airlines, L’Oreal, NBCUniversal and Proctor & Gamble unveiled how they’re transforming their businesses through technology.
Tech for Good
- Innovative technologies launched at CES that will change lives and improve our world. Digital health technologies were a major theme, with advancements in digital therapeutics, wearables and remote patient monitoring as digital health addresses real world issues like opioid dependence, mental illness and chronic disease. The Health & Wellness category saw an increase of nearly 25% with more than 135 exhibiting companies at CES 2020, including Humetrix and InBody.
- The Smart Cities exhibit area expanded by nearly 25% over 2019, with companies and organizations including the Department of Transportation, Hitachi and Siemens, highlighting products that will revitalize economies and help communities survive and thrive.
- CTA also partnered with the World Bank Group at CES 2020 on a Global Tech Challenge, calling for companies around the world to create solutions focused on three key areas: health, gender inequality and technologies that enable communities to be resilient. The Health Tech Challenge category is accepting applications through February 25 to connect innovators with healthcare providers in East Africa.
- CES 2020 was also the world’s largest startup event, with more than 1,200 companies from 46 countries featured within Eureka Park, offering disruptive innovations, attracting investors and big-name brands. Technologies unveiled within Eureka Park include the Oval Home smart sensor that analyzes temperature, light, humidity and movement in the home; Yoganotch, which applies motion capture technology to help users improve poses; and Caregiver Smart Solutions with sensors that track movement and patterns to provide caregivers reassurance and patients with more independence at home.
“CES has the unique ability for startups and young companies to get exposure to major global brands,” said Mara Lewis, Co-Founder and CEO, ID8 Innovation; member, CTA Board of Industry Leaders. “The opportunities for venture funding and growth are incredible here. And the CES 2020 Diversity and Inclusion conference track was mind blowing!”
Diversity and Inclusion
- CES 2020 had a large focus on Diversity and Inclusion, with new programming and partnerships. The Innovation for All conference program featured chief diversity officers and leaders from Bosch, HP and Walmart, and explored inclusive ways that D&I is contributing to the bottom line, shifting culture, hiring differently and investing in diversity.
Travel and Tourism
- Delta Airlines was the first airline to keynote at CES. During his address, Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian described the future world of travel through tech, including AI, AR, biometric security, smart incentive programs, and a new Parallel Reality experience, as travel becomes more customized.
Transportation and Vehicle Technology
- CES 2020 was revved up highlighting the future of transportation. Nine of the world’s leading car manufacturers, including Audi, BMW, Daimler (Mercedes), FCA, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan and Toyota, and more than 150 vehicle tech exhibitors unveiled the latest in connected cars, self-driving vehicles and concept cars. Products included the Mercedes Vision AVTR concept car, Audi’s AI:ME and the Sony Vision S.
- CES brought together content creators, Hollywood, the advertising and music industries, media and leading CMOs to explore the future of brand marketing and entertainment, including streaming services, through the return of C Space. The 2020 program featured more than 60 exhibitors, including AT&T Services, Comcast, Google, HP, Hulu, iHeart, NBC Universal, Pandora, Reddit, Roku, SiriuXM, Snap, Twitch, Turner, Univision and WWE.
The CES stage featured more than 1,100 speakers representing major global industries, including keynotes from Samsung President and CEO of Consumer Electronics Division Mr. Hyun-Suk Kim; Daimler Chairman Ola Källenius; Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian; NBCUniversal Chairman of Advertising and Partnerships Linda Yaccarino; Quibi CEO Meg Whitman and Founder Jeffrey Katzenberg; U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine L. Chao; Salesforce Chairman and co-CEO Marc Benioff; Unilever CEO Alan Jope; and Presidential Advisor, Ivanka Trump.
Visit CES.tech/Live to see the CES keynotes, SuperSessions and other conference programs.
“We hosted 40 CEOs and corporate directors here, and over half were attending CES for the very first time,” said Nichole Jordan, Central Region Managing Partner, Grant Thornton; member, CTA Board of Industry Leaders. “As we debriefed, they said this show – this experience – helps them to reimagine their businesses and their futures.”
CES® is the largest, most influential tech event in the world – the proving ground for breakthrough technologies and global innovators. This is where the world's biggest brands do business and meet new partners, and the sharpest innovators hit the stage. Owned and produced by the Consumer Technology Association (CTA)®, CES features every aspect of the tech sector. Learn more at CES.tech and follow CES on social.
About Consumer Technology Association:
As North America’s largest technology trade association, CTA® is the tech sector. Our members are the world’s leading innovators – from startups to global brands – helping support more than 18 million American jobs. CTA owns and produces CES® – the largest, most influential tech event in the world. Find us at CTA.tech. Follow us @CTAtech
January 6-9, 2021 – Las Vegas, NV
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
HighRes Biosolutions and Novo Nordisk partner to transform drug discovery in automated Lab of the Future24.1.2020 17:00:00 EET | Press release
HighRes Biosolutions and Novo Nordisk A/S today announced that they will collaborate to design a state-of-the-art robotic platform for high-throughput biologics engineering and characterisation. The integration of a multi-system robotics platform with sophisticated software control architecture will enable a digital transformation and accelerated discovery for Novo Nordisk’s peptide and large molecule therapeutics research. “In order to maintain our leadership within biologics engineering we are investing in a fully automated and digital design platform. This investment is linked to our build-up in AI and advanced analytics and demonstrates Novo Nordisk’s commitment as a world leading biologics research company,” said Lars Fogh Iversen, senior vice president, Global Research Technologies, Novo Nordisk. The platform will comprise several highly automated and integrated cells for production, characterisation and functional analysis of thousands of biologic compounds every month. Its scop
Conquest Invests in 5 Greenfield Onshore Wind Parks Totalizing 43MW in the Flanders Region24.1.2020 15:37:00 EET | Press release
Conquest, acting through the Conquest Sustainable Infrastructure fund, announced the transaction was closed after an exclusive agreement had been reached with ENGIE Electrabel. Conquest acquires 51% of a portfolio expected to provide 111 GWh per annum of renewable power representing the annual electricity consumption of about 32,000 Belgian homes from early 2021 onwards. The projects benefit from 15 to 20-year green certificates local remuneration schemes, and thus generate yearly secured revenues. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200124005221/en/ Credit: Electrabel While the energy and digital transitions continue to drive the infrastructure sector, Conquest keeps building its diversified sustainable real asset portfolio in Western European markets. The success lies in years of collaboration and long-lasting partnerships with fellow industry experts who can notably facilitate access to new growth opportunities
Fluence Expands EMEA Footprint with Horticulture Partners in Papenburg, Germany24.1.2020 14:00:00 EET | Press release
Fluence by OSRAM (Fluence), a leading global provider of energy-efficient LED lighting solutions for commercial cannabis and agriculture production, announced today it is expanding its presence in the Emsland region of Germany through partnerships with growers and other horticulture specialists operating out of Papenburg. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200124005109/en/ Friedrich Schulz’s 5.5 hectare farm—which grows herbs year-round in addition to lettuce, peppers and chives—utilizing VYPR 2p fixtures. (Photo: Business Wire) Given Papenburg’s decades-long history of attracting horticulture experts, Fluence’s innovative lighting solutions for horticulture are a natural fit for the region’s tomato, cucumber, leafy greens and herb growers. Forging connections with Papenburg’s horticultural leaders Elektro Evers, an engineering firm specializing in greenhouse technology, is Fluence’s exclusive systems integrator
HCL Technologies Honors Global Goodwill Champions at the 2020 World Economic Forum in Davos24.1.2020 12:47:00 EET | Press release
HCL Technologies (HCL), a leading global technology company, today presented its Wave Maker Awards 2020, commemorating global goodwill champions from around the world. The award ceremony, which was held at the HCL Pavilion in Davos, celebrated organizations and individuals passionately committed to such noble causes as diversity & inclusion, education & community upliftment, environment & sustainability, and technology for change. Special guest at the awards was Australian cricket legend Glenn McGrath, who is also founder of the McGrath Foundation, which provides support for Australian women diagnosed with breast cancer and their families. The award recipients were; Lois Auta, Founder and Executive Director of Cedar Seed Foundation, which supports persons with disabilities to participate in all aspects of life; Chido Govera, Founder and Director of The Future of Hope Foundation (TFoHF), which supports marginal and vulnerable members of society through entrepreneurial and self-developme
Ipsen’s palovarotene clinical program in fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva reaches prespecified interim analysis futility criteria24.1.2020 09:00:00 EET | Press release
Regulatory News: Ipsen (Euronext: IPN; ADR: IPSEY) today announced the decision to pause dosing patients in the global Phase III (PVO-1A-301) study designed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of palovarotene in patients with fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (FOP), as well as the ongoing Phase II (PVO-1A-202/204) extension studies. In both the Phase III and Phase II extension studies, palovarotene is dosed both chronically (daily) and episodically (during flare-ups). The decision to pause dosing patients in the trial is based on results of a futility analysis reviewed by the Independent Data Monitoring Committee (IDMC) as part of the prespecified interim analysis. The results of a futility analysis indicated that the Phase III FOP trial was unlikely to meet its primary efficacy endpoint (annualized change in new HO volume as compared with Natural History Studyi) upon completion. Despite the results of the prespecified interim analysis, signals of encouraging therapeutic activity w
Amazentis Announces the Launch of Timeline™ Cellular Nutrition at the World Economic Forum in Davos23.1.2020 23:56:00 EET | Press release
Amazentis announces the debut of Timeline, a next generation nutrition product designed to promote healthy aging, as part of the Swiss Food & Nutrition Valley in the House of Switzerland at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. Given the increase in the aging population globally -- according to a 2019 Deutsche Bank study, there are more people on Earth older than sixty five than younger than five for the first time -- it is imperative for consumers to take proactive measures to maintain a high quality of life, for as long as they live. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200123005820/en/ (Photo: Business Wire) Timeline contains the proprietary nutrient Mitopure™, a highly pure form of Urolithin A. After a decade of rigorous research by leading scientists around the world, Mitopure has been shown to help counter age-associated cellular and muscular decline by revitalizing the mitochondria, the powerplants
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom