For Mary Kay, It’s Mission Critical: We’ve Accelerated Our Digital Innovation Efforts to Unleash the Full Potential of Women Entrepreneurs
Below is a statement by Deborah Gibbins, Chief Operating Officer, Mary Kay Inc., in celebration of International Women’s Day 2023.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230308005697/en/
Deborah Gibbins, Mary Kay’s Chief Operating Officer (Photo courtesy: Mary Kay Inc.)
37% of women worldwide do not have access to the internet. I know - I had to read that twice, too.1
37%! The number is staggering. It feels impossible. In our always-on, always-connected world, how can more than a third of all women in the world remain “unconnected”? This shocking reality - and its implications - fuel this year’s International Women’s Day theme: “DigitALL: Innovation and technology for gender equality.”
As Chief Operating Officer at Mary Kay, I know the role technology plays in all aspects of business – especially entrepreneurial business. To maximize the opportunity offered by technology, digital literacy skills are an absolute requirement for women entrepreneurs to fully participate in our global economy. They are also a necessity for civic and social engagement.
The foundations for the Fourth Industrial Revolution are digital and they are being laid right now. For all of us this revolution holds the tremendous opportunity to leverage technology and innovation to advance women entrepreneurship and equality. The time is now to ensure women reap the benefits of this digital transformation.
The digital economy won’t wait for anyone to catch up. Women’s exclusion from the digital world has shaved $1 trillion from the gross domestic product of low- and middle-income countries in the last decade.2 Once again, change is not happening fast enough for women.
We can fix this. We must fix this.
To reach their full potential, women business owners around the world must not only have access to the digital tools we take for granted, but they must have the right skills and training to use them effectively.
That’s why bridging the digital gender gap is so personal to us at Mary Kay, a company founded by a woman for women.
Our founder, Mary Kay Ash, had a vision to offer women unmatched entrepreneurial opportunities for advancement and personal success. That means something different today than it did in the ‘60s, but that same spirit remains. As an entrepreneurship development company, our focus is lifting women entrepreneurs up and addressing the barriers they face in establishing or growing their business. Digitalization is one of them.
At Mary Kay, we are determined to put women entrepreneurs at the center of the digital transformation.
We’ve accelerated our digital innovation efforts – this includes revolutionizing Mary Kay’s Independent Beauty Consultants’ (IBCs) ability to unleash their full potential through digital upskilling, the development and roll-out of innovative digital tools, from award-winning apps featuring augmented reality (AR), to connecting IBCs with their customers in more effective and seamless ways. We’re improving not only the experience for the independent sales force, but for their customers around the world.
Here are some of the latest examples of our commitment to empower Mary Kay’s independent sales force to harness the power of digital:
- In Europe, our award-winning “Link & Learn” is an integrated education platform comprising a robust learning curriculum IBCs can access anytime, anywhere. This self-paced, interactive learning system helps consultants put their dreams into action by providing a competency-based curriculum with relevant, expert-driven content while connecting them with a community of like-minded consultants. It includes content focused on the key areas of competency that are essential for success at each step of the career path. With this content, consultants strategically focus on key topics and acquire skills such as Selling Skills, Business Skills, Product Knowledge and Understanding the Mary Kay Way. Mary Kay has received numerous awards for this educational platform, including a coveted gold ranking in the Education category in the “2019 Spring Omni Awards.” In 2021 Mary Kay Poland received the “Innovative Company” award for the program from the Home & Market magazine, and in 2018 it was awarded a “Technology Excellence Award” from the Brandon Hall Group.
- The InTouch® platform is a one-stop shop mobile platform which provides millions of IBCs around the world 24-hour access to information, and services to effectively manage their Mary Kay business. It includes many features to enhance their knowledge of the beauty industry through product education, basic business skills through marketing and sales tools, and a professional network. With this app, IBCs can access product ingredient information and material to share with their customers or as a quick reference.
- The Salesforce.com platform has also recently been rolled out to our Mary Kay markets via the Mary Kay InTouch site, enabling a more seamless use of digital technology in day-to-day operations, including placing orders. IBCs receive 24/7 support from their local Mary Kay teams and save time to focus on tasks that add more value to their business.
- Mary Kay Mirror Me™ is our real-time makeover app using augmented reality to apply makeup trends and color products for real life application. After finding their perfect look, customers can add products to their shopping bag and connect with an IBC. Mirror Me™ is available in the North America, Europe and Latin America regions.
- Mary Kay® Skin Analyzer is a tool that brings skin care and technology together at one’s fingertips. It helps customers understand the unique characteristics of their skin and create a customized skin care routine and is available in the North America, Asia-Pacific and Latin America regions.
- And finally, the newly launched Mary Kay Interactive Catalog brings Mary Kay catalogs to life with easy product ordering, GIFs, videos, shareable wish lists, instant augmented reality makeovers and more. The catalog is available in the North America, Europe and Latin America regions.
We also believe in digital collaborations to help women entrepreneurs harness the power of digital throughout the world. To this end, we have joined forces with:
- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU). In collaboration with the Women Entrepreneurship Accelerator (WEA) and Mary Kay Global, ITU has launched the WEA Digital Innovation Challenge to build enabling eco-systems for women entrepreneurs. This challenge supports the commitment of WEA to empower 5 million women entrepreneurs by 2030. WEA is a multi-partnership initiative on women's entrepreneurship convening 6 United Nations agencies comprising International Telecommunication Union (ITU), International Labour Organization (ILO), International Trade Centre (ITC), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), UN Global Compact (UNGC) and UN Women. The Challenge’s pitch finale will be held on March 13th during the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW67). An expert jury will select 10 digital best practices and solutions to create a more gender-inclusive eco-system for start-ups and scale-ups to address the obstacles women entrepreneurs face in developing technologies. The winners will gain access to the Digital Innovation Eco-System Program from ITU where they will receive capacity-building and specialized mentorship. Register to the event here.
- In support of WEA, ITU is also working to address the gender digital skills gap by providing women entrepreneurs access to free, high-quality learning modules required to advance in the digital economy. To be rolled out over the course of 2023, the initiative will be translated into several languages. Supported by Mary Kay, the project includes 17 online modules including general digital skills training for aspiring and experienced women entrepreneurs; digital skills for women entrepreneurs in the textiles and apparel sector, and management skills for women entrepreneurs in technology. These learning modules provide broad professional training for any woman entrepreneur regardless of her location or business focus.
- As a product of WEA, the International Trade Centre (ITC) launched its first-ever free online Entrepreneurship Certificate Programme in 2022 under its SheTrades program. Powered by Mary Kay, the 27-module digital curriculum, enriched with 200 videos, covers the 7 key stages of the entrepreneurial journey and is available in English, Spanish, French, and soon Arabic and Chinese.
- Mary Kay is also a proud commitment maker to the Generation Equality Action Coalition on Technology and Innovation as we believe in the power of multi-stakeholder partnerships to spark a more equal and diverse digital transformation.
And we’re just getting started. The digital revolution is underway. Let’s not miss out on this golden opportunity to enable women and girls to champion entrepreneurship in the digital age!
About Mary Kay
One of the original glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her dream beauty company in 1963 with one goal: enriching women’s lives. That dream has blossomed into a multibillion-dollar company with millions of independent sales force members in more than 35 countries. As an entrepreneurship development company, Mary Kay is committed to empowering women on their journey through education, mentorship, advocacy, networking, and innovation. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and manufacturing cutting-edge skincare, color cosmetics, nutritional supplements, and fragrances. Mary Kay believes in enriching lives today for a sustainable tomorrow, partnering with organizations from around the world focusing on promoting business excellence, supporting cancer research, advancing gender equality, protecting survivors from domestic abuse, beautifying our communities, and encouraging children to follow their dreams. Learn more at marykayglobal.com, find us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn or follow us on Twitter.
1 ITU (2022). Facts and Figures 2022 - The gender digital divide (itu.int)
2 UN Women. Progress on the Sustainable Development Goals. The Gender Snapshot 2022.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230308005697/en/
Mary Kay Inc.
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
RevBio is Awarded a $2 Million Grant to Advance the Development of its Novel Dental Adhesive Bone Scaffold Product8.6.2023 00:12:00 EEST | Press release
RevBio, Inc., announced that it has been awarded a $2 million Phase II Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grant from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This funding (1R44DE032564-01) will allow the company to complete the pre-clinical research necessary to advance this product into the clinical stage of development. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230607005794/en/ The current standard of care options for rebuilding deficient jawbone includes a variety of materials that require membranes and time consuming fixation devices. These products do not predictably maintain ridge volume which requires surgeons to undergo re-grafting in over 30% of clinical cases. TETRANITE eliminates the use of membranes and other fixation devices, when compared to the standard of care. Furthermore, TETRANITE resorbs fully while maintaining predict
IFF Names New President of Nourish and Introduces Leadership Structure Aligned to New Operating Model7.6.2023 23:18:00 EEST | Press release
IFF (NYSE: IFF) today announced that Yuvraj Arora, currently President, U.S. Categories for Kellogg North America, will join IFF as President, Nourish, effective June 19, 2023. Arora brings more than 25 years of multinational CPG experience to IFF’s Executive Leadership Team, mostly recently leading Kellogg’s $7 billion U.S. portfolio through a period of strong growth and portfolio transformation. IFF today also announced the leadership structure to support the transition to a new operating model as part of the company’s transformation strategy. The shift from its current divisional structure to three core end markets—Food and Beverage, Home and Personal Care, and Health—will provide greater customer intimacy and enhance cross-functional collaboration, allowing for enhanced execution, speed and streamlined delivery. IFF expects its new operating model to be in effect by the beginning of 2024. As President, Nourish, Arora, will lead IFF’s Food and Beverage categories when the operating
Vizgen Issues Open Letter to Customers and Researchers on 10x Genomics June 1, 2023 Lawsuit Announcement in Europe7.6.2023 22:00:00 EEST | Press release
Vizgen, Inc. (“Vizgen” or the “Company”), a life science leader dedicated to improving human health by visualizing single-cell spatial genomics information, today issued the below open letter to customers and researchers in response to 10x Genomics, Inc. (“10x”) filing a lawsuit on June 1, 2023 with the Unified Patent Court (“UPC”) in Europe. *** June 7, 2023 Dear Customers, Researchers and Friends of Vizgen: We are disappointed – though not surprised – that 10x has filed another lawsuit that attempts to undermine innovation, eliminate competition and intimidate both customers and industry peers. Although 10x’s UPC complaint is not yet available to us, we will keep you updated as we learn more. In the meantime, rest assured that we will vigorously defend our shared interests in all proceedings with the UPC, much like we have in the ongoing litigation in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware. In the Delaware case, we have gone on the offensive to assert our own countercla
Brenus Pharma announces its international Scientific Committee7.6.2023 19:00:00 EEST | Press release
Following the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s Annual Meeting, where Brenus’ innovative approach and promising preclinical results were featured in the abstract section “Treatment to Follow” 1, the company highlighted its international scientific committee. This committee gathering renowned international experts in immuno-oncology, immunotherapies, and novel-treatments is supporting Brenus’ scientific developments of the STCplatform pipeline in solid tumors and its first candidate, STC-1010 targeting colorectal cancer. The committee combined a total of over 1,700 internationally peer-reviewed articles and prestigious awards in the field: Pr François GHIRINGHELLI MD, PhD. Pr of Oncology – Head of “Cancer and adaptative immune response” INSERM, CGFL 2, Dijon. (FR) Head of the Board Pr Ahmad AWADA MD, PhD. Pr of Oncology – Head of Oncology medicine Dept. Jules Bordet Institute-HUB, Brussel. (BE) & Board member Oncodistinct clinical and translational research network, ESMO3 active m
Lunaphore and CST Partnership Advances Spatial Biology Research with Over 1,700 IHC-Validated Antibodies for Use on COMET™7.6.2023 17:00:00 EEST | Press release
Lunaphore, a Swiss life sciences company developing technology to enable spatial biology in every laboratory, and Cell Signaling Technology (CST), a life science discovery technology company and leading provider of antibodies, kits, and services, today announced a partnership to enable the use of CST® antibodies on the Lunaphore COMET™ platform, a scalable hyperplex imaging solution for fully automated spatial biology. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230607005502/en/ CST is a trusted provider of high-quality, rigorously validated antibodies for immunohistochemistry (IHC) that can detect key proteins in a variety of disease states. This partnership enables the use of over 1,700 IHC-validated antibodies from CST detected by fluorescent secondary antibodies for use on the COMET™, empowering researchers to develop antibody panels quickly and with confidence. With a comprehensive offering of primary rabbit and mous
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom