Global Visa Study Finds 67% of Small Businesses and 78% of Consumers Have Adopted New Behaviors to Adjust to COVID-19
As small and micro businesses (SMBs) worldwide continue to endure the financial impact of COVID-19, one thing is clear: rethinking the checkout or point-of-sale (POS) experience is essential for survival on Main Street. Visa (NYSE: V) today released the Visa Back to Business study assessing this dramatic shift to digital commerce in response to the pandemic, driven largely by changing consumer expectations for a safe and touchless payment moment. According to the eight market study of both consumers and SMBs, nearly eight-in-10 consumers worldwide (78%) have changed how they pay in order to reduce contact and more than two-thirds of SMBs (67%) have tried a new approach – whether launching an eCommerce site or changing POS technology – to keep their business on track.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200804005389/en/
Visa Back to Business study finds 67% of small businesses have tried something new to stay on track amidst COVID-19 (Graphic: Business Wire)
“Consumers are putting COVID-19 safety measures at the top of their shopping lists and rewarding businesses that do the same,” said Suzan Kereere, global head of merchant sales and acquiring, Visa. “Historically, we see behavior change at the point of sale as a gradual shift over time. But, COVID-19 has created an immediate need for safer, more efficient shopping experiences both on and offline and consumers are responding by rapidly migrating to digital commerce. We want small businesses to know that Visa is here to help them navigate these new consumer needs and expectations, which will make their businesses stronger now and in the long run.”
Additional findings from the Visa Back to Business study conducted in the U.S., Brazil, Canada, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Singapore and UAE include:
Consumers Now Expect Digital-First Commerce
- Safety first means touchless: In each market surveyed, contactless payments have become a driving differentiator: nearly two-thirds (63%) of consumers would switch to a new business that installed contactless payment options. For close to half of global consumers (46%), using contactless payment methods is among the most important safety measures for stores to follow. Nearly half (48%) would not shop at a store that only offers payment methods that require contact with a cashier or a shared device.
- SMB optimism vs. consumer realities: Despite the unpredictable nature of the pandemic, 75% of SMBs are optimistic about the future. Additionally, 71% of global SMB owners say they have received support from their local communities, with the most coming in the form of business referrals (33%) and favorable reviews (31%). An area for improvement: where consumers shop, as just 9% of consumers say they shop exclusively at locally owned businesses, whereas 15% shop exclusively at larger retailers, with a large mix of combined approaches falling in between these two extremes.
- New normal means new habits: Nearly four in five (78%) consumers have made changes to the way they pay, including shopping online when possible (49%), using contactless payments (48%) and not using cash as much (46%). A majority (70%) of consumers have used a new shopping or payment method for the first time, including 26% who have used tap to pay for in-store purchases, shopping for groceries or household items online (34%), curbside restaurant pick-up (28%) and buying online then picking up in store (25%).
Small Businesses Take Action, Amidst Real Challenges
- Long-term outlook and top concerns: Globally, SMB owners estimate at least six to 10 more challenging months before their business is fully operational. Their greatest immediate concerns include revenue declines (52%), attracting new customers (46%) and having to reduce wages or salaries (22%).
- Pivoting to a digital-first mindset: More than a quarter of SMBs (28%) have tried targeted advertising on social media or sold products or services online (27%). Another 20% have adopted contactless payments. One-third (33%) of SMBs report they have accepted less, or stopped accepting, cash since COVID-19. Millennial SMB owners (41%) are significantly more likely to have accepted less or stopped accepting cash, compared to Gen X (31%) and Boomers (21%).
- On guard against fraud: More than half (53%) of SMBs are likely to purchase a fraud management solution to help protect their business due to the shift to digital commerce.
Regional Insights: Tackling Challenges and Card Cleanliness
- Pivoting with new approaches: In the United Arab Emirates (UAE), 44% of SMBs – compared to 20% globally – have enabled contactless payments for the first time since the start of COVID-19. Nearly 94% of UAE SMBs have pivoted to keep their business on track, compared to 67% globally. SMBs in Brazil (84%) and Hong Kong (87%) also are trying new approaches in large numbers, including selling online (50% in Brazil compared to 27% globally).
- Swipe? Then wipe: Two-thirds (67%) of consumers say they are taking some measure to keep their payment cards clean, with 33% saying they disinfect them. An overwhelming majority of UAE (89%) and Brazilian (87%) consumers are taking some measures to keep their card clean, whereas Singaporean (50%), German (53%), Canadian (60%) and Hong Kong (65%) consumers fell below the global average.
The Visa Back to Business study is the latest in a series of Visa initiatives to provide SMBs with the tools and resources they need to rebuild, or newly build, stronger businesses. More information on the programs and solutions Visa has made available to SMBs – ranging from its commitment to digitally-enable 50 million SMBs around the world and the IFundWomen grant program for U.S-based Black women-owned small businesses – are available on the Visa Small Business Hub and the Visa Small Business COVID-19 relief site.
Methodology: Visa Back to Business Study
The Visa Back to Business study was conducted by Wakefield Research between June 18 and June 29, 2020, among 250 small business owners at companies with 100 employees or fewer in the U.S., Brazil, Canada, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Singapore and UAE. Separately, the consumer portion of the survey was conducted by Wakefield Research between June 12 and June 29, 2020, among 1,000 Adults ages 18+ in the US, and 500 Adults ages 18+ in Brazil, Canada, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Singapore and UAE. The data was weighted to ensure an accurate representation of adults ages 18+ in each market.
About Visa Inc.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of digital commerce on any device, for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce. For more information, visit About Visa, visa.com/blog and @VisaNews.
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
GPD Companies, Inc. to Acquire Distrupol22.1.2021 16:33:00 EET | Press release
GPD Companies, Inc., an affiliate of One Rock Capital Partners, LLC (“One Rock”), today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Distrupol, a subsidiary of Univar Solutions Inc. (NYSE: UNVR) and a leading European distributor of thermoplastics to the polymer processing industry. Terms of the transaction, which is expected to close in the first half of 2021, were not disclosed. Headquartered in Surrey, England, with broad geographic reach across Europe, Distrupol has provided value-added sales and application development of thermoplastic resins for over 50 years. Through its decades-long relationships with world class supply partners, the company offers a robust array of superior performance products and solutions that meet the needs of diverse end users from leading and emerging industries, such as the consumer, medical, automotive, and electrical sectors, among others. Distrupol caters to over 1,300 customers across 13 countries with a portfolio of over 4,0
Schlumberger Announces Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year 2020 Results22.1.2021 14:50:00 EET | Press release
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE: SLB) today reported results for the fourth-quarter and full-year 2020. Fourth-Quarter Results (Stated in millions, except per share amounts) Three Months Ended Change Dec. 31, 2020 Sept. 30, 2020 Dec. 31, 2019 Sequential Year-on-year Revenue $5,532 $5,258 $8,228 5% -33% Income (loss) before taxes - GAAP basis $471 $(54) $452 n/m 4% Net income (loss) - GAAP basis $374 $(82) $333 n/m 12% Diluted EPS (loss per share) - GAAP basis $0.27 $(0.06) $0.24 n/m 12% Adjusted EBITDA* $1,112 $1,018 $1,648 9% -33% Adjusted EBITDA margin* 20.1% 19.4% 20.0% 73 bps 6 bps Pretax segment operating income* $654 $575 $1,006 14% -35% Pretax segment operating margin* 11.8% 10.9% 12.2% 90 bps -40 bps Net income, excluding charges & credits* $309 $228 $545 35% -43% Diluted EPS, excluding charges & credits* $0.22 $0.16 $0.39 37% -44% Revenue by Geography International $4,343 $4,210 $5,834 3% -26% North America 1,167 1,034 2,339 13% -50% Other 22 14 55 n/m n/m $5,532 $5,258 $8,228 5% -
JEOL: Release of a New Cold Field Emission Cryo-Electron Microscope CRYO ARM™ 300 II (JEM-3300)22.1.2021 09:00:00 EET | Press release
JEOL Ltd. (TOKYO:6951) (President & COO Izumi Oi) announces the release of a new cold field emission cryo-electron microscope (cryo-EM), the CRYO ARM™ 300 II (JEM-3300), to be released in January 2021. This new cryo-EM has been developed based on the concept of "Quick and easy to operate and get high-contrast and high-resolution images". This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210121005316/en/ Cold Field Emission Cryo-Electron Microscope CRYO ARM(TM) 300 II (JEM-3300) (Photo: Business Wire) Development Background Recent dramatic improvement of resolution in single particle analysis (SPA) using cryo-EM has led to SPA as an essential method for structural analysis of proteins. To address this market, JEOL released the CRYO ARM™ 300 in 2017. Equipped with a cold field emission gun (Cold FEG) for enhanced resolution and a cryo-stage for loading multiple samples, the CRYO ARM™ 300 has continued to achieve best-in-class res
ViiV Healthcare announces FDA approval of Cabenuva (cabotegravir, rilpivirine), the first and only complete long-acting regimen for HIV treatment22.1.2021 01:12:00 EET | Press release
ViiV Healthcare, the global specialist HIV company majority owned by GlaxoSmithKline plc (“GSK”), with Pfizer Inc. and Shionogi Limited as shareholders, today announced that the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Cabenuva, the first and only complete long-acting regimen for the treatment of HIV-1 infection in adults. Cabenuva is provided as a co-pack with two injectable medicines — ViiV Healthcare’s cabotegravir and Janssen’s rilpivirine — dosed once monthly, as an option to replace the current antiretroviral (ARV) regimen in those who are virologically suppressed (HIV-1 RNA less than 50 copies per milliliter [mL]) on a stable regimen, with no history of treatment failure, and with no known or suspected resistance to either cabotegravir or rilpivirine. Prior to initiating treatment of Cabenuva, oral dosing of cabotegravir and rilpivirine should be administered for approximately one month to assess the tolerability of each therapy.1 Lynn Baxter, Head of North America, ViiV H
Incyte Announces Acceptance and Priority Review of BLA for Retifanlimab as a Potential Treatment for Patients with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Anal Canal (SCAC)22.1.2021 00:30:00 EET | Press release
Incyte (Nasdaq:INCY) today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has accepted for Priority Review its Biologics License Application (BLA) for retifanlimab, an intravenous PD-1 inhibitor, as a potential treatment for adult patients with locally advanced or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal (SCAC) who have progressed on, or who are intolerant of, platinum-based chemotherapy. The BLA submission is based on data from the Phase 2 POD1UM-202 trial evaluating retifanlimab in previously treated patients with locally advanced or metastatic SCAC who have progressed on, or are intolerant of, standard platinum-based chemotherapy. The trial enrolled 94 patients, including several with well-controlled human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. The study, which was recently presented at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) Virtual Congress 2020, resulted in an objective response rate (ORR) of 14% for retifanlimab monotherapy as determined by inde
Wistron and Kalray Announce FURIO1200™ Storage Appliance21.1.2021 19:45:00 EET | Press release
Wistron, a leader in ICT (Information and communications technology) products, and Kalray (Paris:ALKAL) (Euronext Growth Paris: ALKAL), a leading provider in new generation of processors specialized in Intelligent Data Processing from Cloud to Edge, announce the availability of FURIO1200™, a 24-Flash-Drive NVMe-oF based storage node appliance, integrating Kalray’s NVMe-oF K200™ smart storage adapter, powered by its MPPA® Coolidge™ intelligent processor, and Wistron LYMMA chassis. FURIO1200™ is a new type of hyper-fast disaggregated storage solution delivering ultra-high throughput and reliability. It is the ideal solution for Cloud Service Providers and Enterprises running applications with intensive AI and Data Analytics workloads as well as to optimize their next generation storage. Data Centers are undergoing a very important revolution due to the explosion of usages, the surge of data to be processed and the exponential growth of the number of machines to be managed to support this
NumAlim Selects Dawex and Orange Business Services for its Data and Services Exchange Platform21.1.2021 19:40:00 EET | Press release
NumAlim announced an agreement with Dawex, the leader in Data Exchange technology, and Orange Business Services, a network-native digital services company, to deploy its agri-food digital exchange platform. By relying on these two leading players, NumAlim chose secure technological solutions guaranteeing the sovereignty of French food data. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210121005722/en/ (Photo: Dawex) As early as Q1 2021, the NumAlim data and services exchange "Hub" will offer 18,000 companies in the food industry the opportunity to valorize, acquire and enrich all types of data: production, consumption, traceability, consumer opinions and research, as well as a wide range of services based on data (trend analysis, reformulation, regulatory watch…). "NumAlim is the answer to the needs for transparency, value creation and trust expressed by the food industry, consumers, and public authorities.” says Jérôme Fr
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom