Mary Kay Inc. Advocates for Advancing Women’s Economic Empowerment and Gender Equality Through Series of Milestone Commitments & Partnerships Around the World
Mary Kay Inc., a global advocate for women’s empowerment and entrepreneurship, has furthered its commitment to advancing gender parity by releasing a position paper welcoming the European Commission’s Gender Equality Strategy for 2020 – 2025 and by joining the Generation Equality Forum Global Action Coalitions.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210720005347/en/
This month, Mary Kay also joined the “Drivers of change” Program at the Generation Equality Forum in Paris, France (June 30 - July 2). (Graphic: Mary Kay Inc.)
The position paper, which can be accessed here, echoes the strategy of the European Union on gender equality. According to the European Union: “The Strategy presents policy objectives and actions to make significant progress by 2025 towards a gender-equal Europe. The goal is a Union where women and men, girls and boys, in all their diversity, are free to pursue their chosen path in life, have equal opportunities to thrive, and can equally participate in and lead our European society.”
“Discriminatory laws, gender bias and stereotyping, violence against women and girls - these are all global issues and must be tackled in partnership with the public and private sectors and civil society organizations across the world,” said Julia Simon, Chief Legal & Diversity Officer at Mary Kay. “Achieving gender equality is critical to the survival of the planet and the rebuilding of more sustainable and thriving economies and societies.”
This month, Mary Kay also joined the “Drivers of change” Program at the Generation Equality Forum in Paris, France (June 30 - July 2). 26 years after the Beijing Declaration, the Generation Equality Forum, convened by UN Women and co-hosted by the governments of Mexico and France, was the “most critical moment in a generation to invest in gender equality and accelerate momentum for women’s safety, leadership and economic opportunity1.”
Julia Simon participated to a panel titled “Building a Transformative Strategy for Gender-Responsive Procurement,” aiming at creating awareness of the disproportionately complex and interconnected barriers on women’s entrepreneurship and promoting gender-responsive procurement. Globally, 1 in 3 businesses are owned by women2, yet women win only 1% of the procurement spend of governments and large corporations3. Speakers shared insights and concrete advice substantiated by their own journey on how to implement a GRP strategy.
At the Paris Forum, Mary Kay also joined four of the Generation Equality Action Coalitions through policy, programmatic, and advocacy commitments: Economic Justice and Rights; Feminist Action for Climate Justice; Gender-based Violence and Innovation and Technology. 50,000 people virtually engaged in the Forum which gathered 1,000 commitment-makers, recorded $40 billion of investments for gender equality in support of a 5-year plan to act for equal across 6 areas of action.
These engagements are the latest of a series of Mary Kay’s advocacy efforts in support of women’s economic empowerment and gender equality at high level meetings around the world alongside its UN partners and local strategic partners.
- On March 16, 2021, Deborah Gibbins, Mary Kay’s COO, joined the UN Global Compact Target Gender Equality meeting to discuss how Mary Kay empowers women entrepreneurs in nearly 40 countries. Gibbins highlighted the data freshly released by the World Bank4 revealing that, on average across the world, women have three quarters the legal rights of men. She challenged companies to take a stand against legal discriminations and advocate for reforms to close the gaps so that women can achieve their full potential. The event brought together over 5,000 people from the business sector, the United Nations, member states, and civil society organizations from over 100 countries, with 75% of the participants representing the private sector.
- On March 24, 2021, on the sidelines of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW65), Gibbins participated in a panel hosted by the Women’s Empowerment Accelerator (WEA) titled “Women Leading Economic Recovery Through Entrepreneurship” where she highlighted the need for public-private sector partnerships to help shape an enabling ecosystem for women entrepreneurs. Incepted by Mary Kay in collaboration with 5 UN agencies, The Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator was featured as an example of the unique impact of multi-partnership to accelerate change.
- On March 26-April 4, Edita Szabóová, General Manager of Mary Kay Czech Republic and Slovakia, shared remarks at the Equal Pay Day Conference where she stressed the importance of “women supporting women,” and highlighted the work of Mary Kay in nurturing women entrepreneurs through training, leadership, and mentorship. “When women come together, we can achieve extraordinary things for the benefit of women and humanity at large. Because we know that if we lift one, we lift all. At its core, Mary Kay develops and trains entrepreneurs, who, in turn, get to build their own businesses and write their own stories and legacy for their daughters,” said Szabóová.
- On June 15-16, 2021, at the UN Global Compact Leaders Summit, Gibbins spoke at the “Women In Sustainability: Innovating In A Man’s World” main stage session advocating for women entrepreneurs as the role models needed for the economy and society. She also emphasized the critical mission of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator incepted by Mary Kay together with 5 UN agency partners: UN Women, the UN Global Compact, International Trade Centre, the International Labour Organization and the UN Development Programme. The Accelerator has committed to educating and empowering 5 million women entrepreneurs over the next 10 years. “Women entrepreneurship will play a key role in the successful pandemic recovery. This is why the mission of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator is so timely. And, this is why women entrepreneurs need a framework of this magnitude,” said Gibbins. The annual Summit convened virtually more than 25,000 leaders from business, government, the UN, and civil society, to take stock of the state of progress and to drive collective action towards alleviating climate crisis, global pandemic, economic disparities, and social inequalities.
- On July 6, in Ekaterinburg, Mary Kay joined the International Industrial Trade Fair INNOPROM-2021 the main industrial, trade and export platform in Russia. Guest speaker at a panel hosted by UN Women titled “UN Women Programs for the Promotion and Development of Gender-Based Entrepreneurship,” Mary Kay highlighted the critical importance of gender-responsive procurement strategies and emphasized that the pandemic also brings a unique opportunity to advance action and to support women’s businesses around the world.
About Mary Kay
One of the original glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her beauty company almost 58 years ago with three goals: develop rewarding opportunities for women, offer irresistible products, and make the world a better place. That dream has blossomed into a multibillion-dollar company with millions of independent sales force members in nearly 40 countries. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and manufacturing cutting-edge skin care, color cosmetics, nutritional supplements and fragrances. Mary Kay is committed to empowering women and their families by partnering with organizations from around the world, focusing on supporting cancer research, protecting survivors from domestic abuse, beautifying our communities, and encouraging children to follow their dreams. Mary Kay Ash’s original vision continues to shine—one lipstick at a time. Learn more at www.marykay.com
2 World Bank (2020). Enterprise Surveys, World Bank Gender Data Portal cited by World Bank Blogs (2020) Women entrepreneurs needed – stat!
3 Vazquez and Sherman (2014). Cited by UN Women (2017) The Power of Procurement: How to source from women-owned businesses.
4 Women, Business and the Law, 2021. A report conducted in 190 countries.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Mary Kay Inc. Corporate Communications
(+1) 972.687.5332 or email@example.com
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Andersen Global Expands into Puerto Rico with San Juan-Based Law Firm3.8.2021 16:30:00 EEST | Press release
Andersen Global extends its reach into the Puerto Rican market with San Juan-based law firm Casillas, Santiago & Torres, LLC (CST Law). Founded in 2011, CST Law is a full-service firm focusing on business and commercial law with capabilities in corporate, tax, commercial and employment law litigation, real estate, immigration, labor and employment law, employee benefits and government affairs. The firm covers a variety of industries such as retail, wholesale, real estate, manufacturing, tourism, financial services, technology, telecommunications and construction, providing legal services to a range of clients including major multinational companies. “Our firm has built long-lasting relationships with our clients through our commitment to transparency and quality of work we provide,” said Managing Partner Luis L. Torres. “As our clients’ operations continue to expand into multiple jurisdictions, their need for integrated and seamless services also increases. Our collaboration with Ander
IDEMIA Top Leader in NIST Flight Boarding Simulation Showcasing High Accuracy of Algorithms3.8.2021 16:30:00 EEST | Press release
IDEMIA, the global leader in augmented identity, announced today that the company ranked second for passenger identification in the latest testing by the National Institute of Standards (NIST), confirming that IDEMIA’s facial recognition technology and algorithms are among the most accurate, fair and consistent in market. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210803005333/en/ Credits : IDEMIA The test focuses on ‘Identification for Paperless Travel and Immigration’ and is part of the ongoing Facial Recognition Vendor Test (FRVT) managed by NIST. The exercise simulated departing flights, populating galleries with photos of 420 arriving travelers at the airport, then measuring accuracy by running searches of photos at departure. IDEMIA’s technology conducted 536 simulated aircraft boardings, without experiencing a single false negative, which translates to a secure and frictionless boarding experience for passengers.
New Enhancements to OPEX® Sure Sort® Robotic Sorting System Expand Capabilities and Increase Productivity for Warehouse Automation Customers3.8.2021 16:10:00 EEST | Press release
OPEX® Corporation, a leading provider of innovative warehouse automation solutions worldwide, has made enhancements to one of its most popular products to better meet warehouse customers’ needs. First introduced in 2017, the Sure Sort® small-item robotic sorting system has revolutionized order fulfillment in e-commerce distribution centers worldwide due to its compact array of sort locations that can be scaled, sized, and customized in the small footprint of a single-pass put wall. Sure Sort quickly and accurately processes up to 2,400 items per hour with limited labor. Sure Sort easily directs a wide range of items, including cylindrical, clear, plastic bagged and blister pack items less than five pounds each. It can handle items as small as two inches in length and width and can support products as large as 15 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 6 inches high thanks to the new modifications OPEX just made. “Sure Sort previously only handled items four inches high,” said Monty McVaugh, M
New Members Have Joined HD-PLC Alliance to Accelerate the HD-PLC Advancement Towards a Global Power Line Communication Standard3.8.2021 16:00:00 EEST | Press release
HD-PLC Alliance (*1), Fukuoka, Japan (Alliance) announced that 4 newcomers has joined the alliance this year. The member list on Alliance website was updated as follows; MicroChip Technology as Supporter since July, is a leading provider of smart, connected and secure embedded control solutions. Its easy-to-use development tools and comprehensive product portfolio enable customers to create optimal designs which reduce risk while lowering total system cost and time to market. The company’s solutions serve more than 120,000 customers across the industrial, automotive, consumer, aerospace and defense, communications and computing markets. Microchip is headquartered in Chandler, Arizona. LVX Global, as Supporter since May, is an international technology solutions business that identifies, designs, delivers and manages high value, scalable, replicable social outcomes at the intersection of technology, engineering, and human behavioural science. Helvetia, as Standard since May, is a Japanes
SoftServe Opens New Office in Dubai3.8.2021 14:05:00 EEST | Press release
SoftServe, a leading global digital authority and consulting company, has opened a new office in Dubai as part of its initiative to support the rapidly expanding user base in the Middle East. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210803005011/en/ (Graphic: Business Wire) SoftServe has been supporting customers in the region since 2018, delivering solutions for large conglomerate customers in the retail, finance, and energy sectors. As a developing and dynamic hub for investment with a growing population and considerable opportunity for activity in the non-oil sectors, the Middle East plays a crucial role in SoftServe’s growth strategy. The new office is located at Building No. 16, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. “We are excited to bring our expertise to meet the growing demand for software development and digital transformation in this region,” says Volodymyr Semenyshyn, Executive Vice President EM
DigitalEd Announces Growth Investment From PSG3.8.2021 14:00:00 EEST | Press release
Today, DigitalEd announces a growth investment from PSG; a leading growth equity firm partnering with middle-market software and technology-enabled services companies. DigitalEd provides a SaaS-based digital learning platform called Möbius, focusing on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education. PSG is DigitalEd’s sole outside investor. Financial terms were not disclosed. DigitalEd was founded in 2018 with a simple and resonant mission - to shape the world through digital learning. DigitalEd provides individual learning, in a shared world, allowing students to acquire knowledge at a guided, self-defined pace. DigitalEd currently supports over 300 educational institutions worldwide, administering over 20 million tests and assignments, supporting online learning for world-class universities, institutes of technology, and community colleges. Möbius is an innovative and comprehensive platform for STEM education. The platform is designed to reduce the time educators n
Quanergy Demonstrates the Industry First OPA-based Solid State LiDAR with 100 Meter Range3.8.2021 13:00:00 EEST | Press release
Quanergy Systems, Inc., a leading provider of OPA-based solid state LiDAR sensors and smart 3D solutions for automotive and IoT, today announced the successful driving demonstration of its S3 Series LiDAR, a true solid state LiDAR sensor using an industry-first Optical Phased Array (OPA) technology and a scalable CMOS silicon manufacturing process for cost-effective, mass-market production. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210803005475/en/ Quanergy Demonstrates the Industry First OPA-based Solid State LiDAR with 100 Meter Range (Photo: Business Wire) The demonstration was conducted in partnership with Zero Electric Vehicle Inc. (ZEV), an innovative sustainable energy company that provides fleet electrification and EV platforms for companies looking to maximize their existing assets while transitioning to electric transportation. For this test, a solid-state LiDAR test platform with single scanning beam was moun
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom