Mary Kay Inc. Caps Off Landmark Scientific Credentialing Year at 73rd Society of Cosmetic Chemists Meeting
In 2019, Mary Kay Inc. continued its decades-long commitment to skin science research by revealing the results of multiple groundbreaking studies and fostering academic discussion with industry peers at scientific symposiums around the globe. Most recently, Mary Kay was in New York City for the 73rd Society of Cosmetic Chemists Meeting, where the brand sponsored, collaborated, and explored applications of skin microbiome with leading experts in the field.
“New research suggests that microbes play an important role in overall skin health, and as leading skincare innovators, Mary Kay is heavily invested in further exploration of their impact,” said Dr. Lucy Gildea, Chief Scientific Officer at Mary Kay. “We have a commitment to take an active role in the beauty and scientific communities through participation in global dermatological conferences like the Society of Cosmetic Chemists Meeting, where we can share and learn from other scientific experts to help us develop more effective products.”
The Society of Cosmetic Chemists Meeting convenes over 1,300 attendees from some of the top cosmetic and personal care brands and manufacturers. Participants are encouraged to engage with speakers presenting the latest research and innovations of interest to cosmetic scientists, exchange ideas with peers, and reconnect with colleagues from around the globe.
Mary Kay sponsored the educational session at the meeting, including topics Quorum Quenching: the New Way to Keep Microbiome Under Control, Exploring New Applications in Personal Care: Balancing our Skin Microbiota, Global Microbiome Effects, and Temporal Variation of the Facial Skin Microbiome.
Additional 2019 Scientific Research and Credentialing
The 73rd Society of Chemists Meeting is the latest event in a series of Mary Kay presentations with the scientific and academic communities that reinforce the brand’s longstanding commitment to advancing skin health research and development. Every year, Mary Kay conducts hundreds of thousands of scientific tests on products and ingredients to ensure the highest standards of safety, quality and performance. Mary Kay holds more than 1,500 patents for products, technologies and packaging designs in its global portfolio. Recently, the company announced the opening of a more than $100 million state-of-the-art manufacturing and R&D facility in Lewisville, Texas.
In 2019, Mary Kay focused on three pillars in its commitment to skin health, including pollution; skin barrier health and sensitive skin; and the understanding of skin aging and strategies to intervene:
Pollution and Skin Health
- May: Mary Kay sponsored an exclusive symposium on the impact of pollution on skin health in the Latin America region at the prestigious Reunión Anual de Dermatólogos Latinoamericanos (RADLA) in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Dr. Gildea moderated this symposium with 3 expert Brazilian dermatologists sharing research on the impact of air pollution on skin. It was concluded that antioxidants would be a viable way to counteract the negative effects of pollution on skin. Fortunately, Mary Kay also presented findings on an antioxidant complex that can help delay the premature signs of aging related to the damaging effects of air pollution.
June: Mary Kay the 24th World Congress of Dermatology in Milan, Italy. Mary Kay sponsored a Questions and Answers session with 2 dermatology experts on the impact of environmental stressors in Europe on skin. Dr. Michelle Hines, Global Upstream Research & Technology at Mary Kay hosted this event featuring two renowned Europe skin experts:
- Jean Krutmann, M.D., Professor & Director at Leibniz Research Institute for Environmental Medicine – Dusseldorf, Germany.
- Stefanie Williams, M.D., Dermatologist & Medical Director at EUDELO – London, United Kingdom.
- June: At the 5th Future of Formulations in Cosmetics Summit in Dusseldorf, Germany, Dr. Hines revealed Mary Kay’s ongoing research on an antioxidant complex that helps delay the onset of premature signs of aging related to the damaging effects of diesel exhaust particles (DEP) on skin cells. The breakthrough technology, found in the Mary Kay® TimeWise® Miracle Set 3D™ skin care line, provides a powerful free-radical fighting regimen with an exclusive, patent-pending, three-dimensional approach to skin aging.
Skin Barrier Health and Sensitive Skin
- March: At the 20th World Dermatology Congress in Singapore, David Gan, Senior Principal Scientist at Mary Kay Inc., presented some new insights in evaluating and understanding facial redness. Based on this work, Mary Kay scientists identified skincare technology that helps reduce the production of pro-inflammatory proteins and enzymes in the skin and developed a cosmetic formulation containing these ingredients to effectively address facial redness using unique clinical measures.
- August: Mary Kay China’s Sr. Manager for Medical Affairs, Dr. Jenny Jiang, shared some strategies from Mary Kay research to improve the skin barrier function and facial redness at the Annual Meeting of the Dermatology Committee organized by the Chinese Association of Integrative Medicine in Lanzhou, Gansu Province, China. These findings may provide important insights to understanding sensitive skin.
November: Mary Kay was a symposium sponsor at the 44th annual meeting of The Japanese Society of Investigative Dermatology (JSID) in Aomori, Japan. Dr. Gildea moderated an educational symposium exploring environmental protection strategies against skin aging in Asians, protein response to skin inflammation and skin barrier defects. The panel featured three renowned dermatologists:
- Dr. Akimichi Morita, MD Ph.D., Department of Geriatric and Environmental Dermatology at Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences
- Dr. Sang Eun Lee, MD Ph.D., Department of Dermatology, Gangnam Severance Hospital, Cutaneous Biology Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine in Seoul, Korea
- Dr. Gyohei Egawa, MD Ph.D., Department of Dermatology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine
Understanding of Skin Aging and Skin Health and Strategies to Intervene
- March: At the Skin of Color Society Symposium in Washington. D.C., Dr. Shoná Burkes-Henderson, Associate Principal Scientist, Clinical Research, revealed new research on navy bean extract and its ability to regulate melanogenesis, leading to an improvement in uneven skin tone and facial hyperpigmentation. Dr. Burkes-Henderson also presented a new approach to help improve facial erythema, or redness, at the American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting.
- May: Mary Kay Associate Principal Scientist Dr. Tiffany Carle attended 77th Annual Meeting of the Society for Investigative Dermatology in Chicago, where she presented new data from analyzing the effects of a serum containing five botanical fruit extracts known to be rich in vitamin C on skin appearance. As part of this study, Mary Kay researchers treated artificial skin tissue with this serum and utilized a genomic approach to understand how the serum affected the skin.
- June: Mary Kay sponsored the University of the Philippines Medical Alumni Society of America (UPMASA) 34th Annual Grand Convention (AGC) in Dallas. The conference convened more than 500 doctors from the U.S. and the Philippines to discuss topics ranging from dermatology to orthopedics and neurology.
- September: Mary Kay shared its latest research targeting the causes and underlying mechanisms of slackened skin at the 49th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Dermatological Research (ESDR) held in Bordeaux, France. Dr. Michelle Hines shared data on technology that targeted slackened skin leading to improvement in skin clinical measures.
- September: Mary Kay presented findings on research experiments that demonstrated how sunscreen viscosity, a property that effects application to skin, can be adjusted using processing parameters at the 2019 Sunscreen Symposium presented by the Florida chapter of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
About Mary Kay
One of the original glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her beauty company more than 56 years ago with three goals: develop rewarding opportunities for women, offer irresistible products, and make the world a better place. That dream has blossomed into a multibillion-dollar company with millions of independent sales force members in nearly 40 countries. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and manufacturing cutting-edge skin care, color cosmetics, nutritional supplements and fragrances. Mary Kay is committed to empowering women and their families by partnering with organizations from around the world, focusing on supporting cancer research, protecting survivors from domestic abuse, beautifying our communities, and encouraging children to follow their dreams. Mary Kay Ash’s original vision continues to shine—one lipstick at a time. Learn more at MaryKay.com.
Mary Kay Inc. Corporate Communications
972.687.5332 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
HighRes Biosolutions and Novo Nordisk partner to transform drug discovery in automated Lab of the Future24.1.2020 17:00:00 EET | Press release
HighRes Biosolutions and Novo Nordisk A/S today announced that they will collaborate to design a state-of-the-art robotic platform for high-throughput biologics engineering and characterisation. The integration of a multi-system robotics platform with sophisticated software control architecture will enable a digital transformation and accelerated discovery for Novo Nordisk’s peptide and large molecule therapeutics research. “In order to maintain our leadership within biologics engineering we are investing in a fully automated and digital design platform. This investment is linked to our build-up in AI and advanced analytics and demonstrates Novo Nordisk’s commitment as a world leading biologics research company,” said Lars Fogh Iversen, senior vice president, Global Research Technologies, Novo Nordisk. The platform will comprise several highly automated and integrated cells for production, characterisation and functional analysis of thousands of biologic compounds every month. Its scop
Conquest Invests in 5 Greenfield Onshore Wind Parks Totalizing 43MW in the Flanders Region24.1.2020 15:37:00 EET | Press release
Conquest, acting through the Conquest Sustainable Infrastructure fund, announced the transaction was closed after an exclusive agreement had been reached with ENGIE Electrabel. Conquest acquires 51% of a portfolio expected to provide 111 GWh per annum of renewable power representing the annual electricity consumption of about 32,000 Belgian homes from early 2021 onwards. The projects benefit from 15 to 20-year green certificates local remuneration schemes, and thus generate yearly secured revenues. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200124005221/en/ Credit: Electrabel While the energy and digital transitions continue to drive the infrastructure sector, Conquest keeps building its diversified sustainable real asset portfolio in Western European markets. The success lies in years of collaboration and long-lasting partnerships with fellow industry experts who can notably facilitate access to new growth opportunities
Fluence Expands EMEA Footprint with Horticulture Partners in Papenburg, Germany24.1.2020 14:00:00 EET | Press release
Fluence by OSRAM (Fluence), a leading global provider of energy-efficient LED lighting solutions for commercial cannabis and agriculture production, announced today it is expanding its presence in the Emsland region of Germany through partnerships with growers and other horticulture specialists operating out of Papenburg. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200124005109/en/ Friedrich Schulz’s 5.5 hectare farm—which grows herbs year-round in addition to lettuce, peppers and chives—utilizing VYPR 2p fixtures. (Photo: Business Wire) Given Papenburg’s decades-long history of attracting horticulture experts, Fluence’s innovative lighting solutions for horticulture are a natural fit for the region’s tomato, cucumber, leafy greens and herb growers. Forging connections with Papenburg’s horticultural leaders Elektro Evers, an engineering firm specializing in greenhouse technology, is Fluence’s exclusive systems integrator
HCL Technologies Honors Global Goodwill Champions at the 2020 World Economic Forum in Davos24.1.2020 12:47:00 EET | Press release
HCL Technologies (HCL), a leading global technology company, today presented its Wave Maker Awards 2020, commemorating global goodwill champions from around the world. The award ceremony, which was held at the HCL Pavilion in Davos, celebrated organizations and individuals passionately committed to such noble causes as diversity & inclusion, education & community upliftment, environment & sustainability, and technology for change. Special guest at the awards was Australian cricket legend Glenn McGrath, who is also founder of the McGrath Foundation, which provides support for Australian women diagnosed with breast cancer and their families. The award recipients were; Lois Auta, Founder and Executive Director of Cedar Seed Foundation, which supports persons with disabilities to participate in all aspects of life; Chido Govera, Founder and Director of The Future of Hope Foundation (TFoHF), which supports marginal and vulnerable members of society through entrepreneurial and self-developme
Ipsen’s palovarotene clinical program in fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva reaches prespecified interim analysis futility criteria24.1.2020 09:00:00 EET | Press release
Regulatory News: Ipsen (Euronext: IPN; ADR: IPSEY) today announced the decision to pause dosing patients in the global Phase III (PVO-1A-301) study designed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of palovarotene in patients with fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (FOP), as well as the ongoing Phase II (PVO-1A-202/204) extension studies. In both the Phase III and Phase II extension studies, palovarotene is dosed both chronically (daily) and episodically (during flare-ups). The decision to pause dosing patients in the trial is based on results of a futility analysis reviewed by the Independent Data Monitoring Committee (IDMC) as part of the prespecified interim analysis. The results of a futility analysis indicated that the Phase III FOP trial was unlikely to meet its primary efficacy endpoint (annualized change in new HO volume as compared with Natural History Studyi) upon completion. Despite the results of the prespecified interim analysis, signals of encouraging therapeutic activity w
Amazentis Announces the Launch of Timeline™ Cellular Nutrition at the World Economic Forum in Davos23.1.2020 23:56:00 EET | Press release
Amazentis announces the debut of Timeline, a next generation nutrition product designed to promote healthy aging, as part of the Swiss Food & Nutrition Valley in the House of Switzerland at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. Given the increase in the aging population globally -- according to a 2019 Deutsche Bank study, there are more people on Earth older than sixty five than younger than five for the first time -- it is imperative for consumers to take proactive measures to maintain a high quality of life, for as long as they live. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200123005820/en/ (Photo: Business Wire) Timeline contains the proprietary nutrient Mitopure™, a highly pure form of Urolithin A. After a decade of rigorous research by leading scientists around the world, Mitopure has been shown to help counter age-associated cellular and muscular decline by revitalizing the mitochondria, the powerplants
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom