Newmont Publishes 2021 Sustainability Report
Today, Newmont Corporation (NYSE: NEM, TSX: NGT) launched its 2021 Sustainability Report as part of its suite of reports on the Company’s environmental, social and governance (ESG) practices in key areas that include health, safety and security, human rights, the environment, social acceptance, governance, and inclusion and diversity.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220414005599/en/
“Newmont has a long tradition of setting and transparently reporting against public targets. With this report, we offer stakeholders a clear and comprehensive understanding of our most material sustainability topics,” said Tom Palmer, Newmont President and CEO. “As the world’s leading gold company, our ESG practices are woven into the fabric of our company as we work to deliver on our purpose: to create value and improve lives through sustainable and responsible mining.”
Highlights of Newmont’s 2021 Sustainability Report:
- Commitment to health and safety: Achieved zero work-related fatalities for the third year in a row. Further embedded our Fatality Risk Management program with a focus on verifying the critical controls that prevent fatalities and coaching frontline leaders to provide visible, felt leadership.
- Response to COVID-19: Continued to put the health, safety and wellbeing of our workforce and host communities at the heart of every decision the Company made. Newmont strongly supported COVID-19 vaccines as they became available and adopted the position of requiring all employees and third-party workers to be fully vaccinated. With contributions through Newmont’s Global Community Support Fund, the Company supported COVID-19 testing facilities, vaccine awareness campaigns and vaccine rollouts in areas near our operations.
- Sustainability-linked financial performance: Established the industry’s first sustainability-linked bond, holding Newmont to account for meeting our 2030 emissions reductions targets and to achieve gender parity in senior leadership roles by 2030. This represents the next step in aligning our business to our commitments and values by linking the interest rate payout to our performance on key ESG priorities.
- Value sharing: Newmont played an important role in creating economic value in host communities and jurisdictions, contributing $10.8 billion to its workforce, host communities and jurisdictions through wages and benefits, operating costs, capital spend, royalties and taxes. This includes spending $1.4 billion with local and Indigenous suppliers, $21.9 million in community investments and providing ongoing opportunities for local and Indigenous employment, along with an additional $3.5 million from Newmont’s Global Community Support Fund.
Newmont’s sustainability efforts continue to be recognized by several leading independent organizations:
- Recognized as a leading gold miner for the seventh consecutive year in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) while continuing to be ranked as the top mining company on FORTUNE’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies;
- Earned a rating of “AA” from MSCI, putting Newmont in the top quartile for precious metals and mining;
- Listed as sixth overall and the top mining company in 3BL’s 100 Best Corporate Citizens;
- Included in Bloomberg’s Gender-Equality Index (GEI) for Newmont’s efforts to advance women in the workplace for the fourth successive year;
- Named to the JUST 100 as one of America’s most JUST companies by JUST Capital and CNBC, included in the JUST 100 and named Industry Leader for 2022; and
- One of the most transparent companies in the S&P 500, according to Bloomberg’s ESG Disclosure Score.
Newmont’s 2021 Sustainability Report is written in accordance with the GRI 2016 Universal Standards Core option, the GRI Mining and Metals Sector Supplement, the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) Metals and Mining standards and is externally assured by an independent third-party. Additionally, Newmont’s sustainability report aligns with ICMM’s Mining Principles’ Performance Expectations and the World Gold Council’s Responsible Gold Mining Principles.
The full 2021 Sustainability Report, along with the ESG data tables and comprehensive GRI and SASB content indices, is available for download on Newmont’s website.
Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical expertise. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
At Newmont, our purpose is to create value and improve lives through sustainable and responsible mining. To learn more about Newmont’s sustainability strategy and initiatives, go to www.newmont.com.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220414005599/en/
Courtney Boone 303.837.5159
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
UAE’s In-Country Value Projects Driving Billions to Local Firms1.6.2023 19:40:00 EEST | Press release
More than $27.23 billion has been redirected to the local economy since the UAE Ministry of Industry and Advanced Technology (MoIAT) and ADNOC launched major in-country value programs to support domestic industries. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230601005886/en/ Sideline of Make It In The Emirates Forum (Photo: AETOSWire) Speaking at the Make in the Emirates Forum today, His Excellency Abdulla Al Shamsi, Assistant Undersecretary of MoIAT, said more than $14.43 billion of investment was redirected to the local economy last year alone, an increase of 25 percent year-on-year. “The National In-Country Value Program is a nationwide program that speaks one language across many different sectors,” HE said. “It’s one methodology and this is something we’re very proud of because it benefits the private sector and when the private sector sees this it helps them prepare, invest, and spend.” The forum heard how the Nati
Carbios and Indorama Ventures Reaffirm Partnership to Build First-of-a-kind PET Biorecycling Plant in France1.6.2023 19:30:00 EEST | Press release
Regulatory News: This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230601005872/en/ Carbios and Indorama Ventures reaffirm partnership to build first-of-a-kind PET biorecycling plant in France Carbios (Euronext Growth Paris: ALCRB), a biotech company developing and industrializing biological solutions to reinvent the life cycle of plastic and textiles, and Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited (IVL) (Bloomberg ticker IVL.TB), a global sustainable chemical producer, announce today the signing of a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to form a Joint Venture for the construction of the world’s first PET biorecycling plant in France1. Based on and subject to the comprehensive terms set out in the MOU, Indorama Ventures plans to mobilize about €110 million for the Joint Venture in equity and non-convertible loan financing2, pending final engineering documentation and final economic feasibility studies. Both parties have
PPG opens Color Creation Lab with Chery Automobile in China1.6.2023 16:01:00 EEST | Press release
PPG (NYSE:PPG) today announced the opening of a Color Creation Lab in collaboration with automaker Chery Automobile Co., Ltd. At the facility, located in Wuhu, China, PPG color stylists and Chery designers will create new colors tailored to specific vehicle designs, from initial color recommendations to final materials for application in Chery’s manufacturing plants. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230601005119/en/ Representatives from PPG and Chery Automobile celebrate the opening of a Color Creation Lab in Wuhu, China. (Photo: PPG) “As the leading single-source coatings supplier for automotive manufacturing, PPG is excited to partner with Chery, a company that prioritizes technological innovation and sustainable production,” said Thomas Li, PPG vice president Asia Pacific, Automotive Coatings. “We will leverage our global color leadership to predict future trends, while advancing paint technology for the nex
HEINZ® Unveils First Global Creative Brand Platform in Over 150 Years1.6.2023 16:00:00 EEST | Press release
Today, HEINZ announces “It Has to be HEINZ,” a new global platform marking the first time in its 150-year history where the brand is unified under one creative strategy. The campaign pays homage to the brand by celebrating the irrational love people have for HEINZ – from real fans’ personal love affairs with the brand, to the love and care its products are made with. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230601005186/en/ HEINZ announces its first new global platform in its 150-year history “It Has to be HEINZ,” inspired by real-life stories of fans’ undeniable love of HEINZ (Graphic: Business Wire) Anchored by Kraft HEINZ’s largest media investment to date, the global creative platform demonstrates the unmatched love generations of people all over the world have for HEINZ – from Ketchup to Beanz and everything in-between(z). The fan stories featured in the creative – such as HEINZ tattoos, carrying condiment packets
PPG opens $30-million battery pack application center in China1.6.2023 16:00:00 EEST | Press release
PPG (NYSE: PPG) today announced that it has inaugurated a battery pack application center (BPAC) in Tianjin, China. The $30-million facility features a full range of capabilities to test the application of PPG coatings technologies, materials and systems for electric vehicle (EV) battery packs, allowing customers to accelerate the development of new EV technologies. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230601005106/en/ PPG has inaugurated a $30-million facility in Tianjin, China to test coatings technologies, materials and systems for electric vehicle battery packs. (Photo: Business Wire) “The new application center is an important milestone in our effort to support our customers in China in the EV battery market,” said Vincent Robin, PPG global vice president, Automotive Coatings. “The new facility will be an important way for customers to validate our customizable coatings solutions that help them reduce applicat
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom