Samsung Expands Advanced 0.7μm-Pixel ISOCELL Image Sensor Offerings for Wider Mobile Applications
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today introduced four new Samsung ISOCELL image sensors for its 0.7 micrometer (μm)-pixel product lineup; 108-megapixel (Mp) ISOCELL HM2, 64Mp ISOCELL GW3, 48Mp ISOCELL GM5 and 32Mp ISOCELL JD1. With the new 0.7μm ISOCELL technology, Samsung plans to expand the ultra-high-resolution offerings to mainstream smartphones.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200915005521/en/
Samsung ISOCELL 2.0 (Photo: Business Wire)
“Samsung continues to pioneer innovations, such as ISOCELL Plus and Smart ISO, to deliver more pixels in a smaller package,” said Yongin Park, executive vice president of the sensor business at Samsung Electronics. “Last year, Samsung introduced the industry’s first 0.7μm-pixel image sensor and the first 108Mp sensors. Now we are bringing more of the advanced pixel technologies to mobile cameras in a variety of options that will enable high-resolution images and sleeker designs in a wider selection of tomorrow’s mobile devices.”
For ultra-high-resolution image sensors, even a mere 0.1μm-difference per pixel can have a significant impact on the overall size of the sensor as well as the height of the camera module. With pixels at 0.7μm, Samsung’s newest image sensors are up to 15-percent smaller than the 0.8μm sensors of the same resolution and reduce the height of the camera module by up to 10 percent. Smaller form factors give smartphone manufacturers more flexibility, such as added features or more streamlined designs, when developing their next-generation devices.
To collect an ample amount of light and increase the full well capacity despite the minute pixel sizes, Samsung has incorporated its advanced ISOCELL Plus and Smart-ISO technologies, especially optimized for 0.7μm. ISOCELL Plus retains the received light with a wall-like structure around the pixel while Smart-ISO makes full use of the incoming light by intelligently adjusting the ISO accordingly for optimal exposure.
In the latest 0.7μm products to be introduced later this year, Samsung will start rolling out an enhanced pixel technology, ISOCELL 2.0, which allows excellent performance despite the challenges with decreasing pixel sizes. The new technology further enhanced the wall structure between cells, resulting in added light sensitivity of up to 12 percent compared to the current ISOCELL Plus technology.
The New 0.7μm Lineup;
- ISOCELL HM2 is Samsung’s third 108Mp image sensor following the HMX and HM1. The new 108Mp-sensor is around 15-percent smaller than the 0.8μm-based predecessors, and reduces the height of the camera module by 10 percent. The HM2 features Super PD, a faster and more effective phase detecting auto focus solution, and like the HM1, comes with a nine-pixel binning technology as well as 3x lossless zoom.
- ISOCELL GW3 is a 64Mp-image sensor optimized for mainstream devices. Thanks to the smaller pixel size, the GW3’s optical size is nearly identical to that of Samsung’s 0.8μm 48Mp image sensor. In addition to Tetracell and Smart-ISO technologies that help the sensor take bright images with high color fidelity, the GW3 is ideal for active lifestyles, featuring gyro-based electronic image stabilization (EIS) for sharper still photos and steadier videos. The image sensor supports video recording at up to 4K resolution at 60 frames-per-second (fps).
- ISOCELL GM5 is a versatile 48Mp-image sensor designed for use in telescoping or ultra-wide angle cameras. When used as a 5x optical telescoping sensor for folded-zoom, the GM5 takes full advantage of the compact 0.7μm pixel size that minimizes the camera bulge. For ultra-wide shots, the GM5 supports high-speed full-HD recording at 480fps. The sensor also offers a staggered-HDR feature, a faster and more power-efficient HDR technology that expedites image processing by sending a readout of long, medium, and short exposures of each row of pixels respectively to the mobile processor. As the readout is performed based on Tetracell’s 1.4μm two-by-two pixels, rather than at the individual 0.7μm-pixel level, staggered-HDR can provide brighter and clearer images with less noise.
- ISOCELL JD1 is the industry’s smallest 32Mp-image sensor at 1/3.14-inches, making it an ideal solution for smartphones with bezel-less displays that incorporate a hole-in-active-area or motorized pop-up mechanism for the front-facing camera. Even with 32-million pixels to capture a highly detailed selfie, the camera sits comfortably under the display as the height of the sensor’s camera module is comparable to those of 0.9μm 20Mp or 1.0μm 16Mp sensors. Like the GM5, the JD1 is also the one the first ISOCELL image sensors to offer staggered-HDR.
Samsung ISOCELL HM2, GW3 and JD1 are currently in mass production, and the company is sampling GM5.
# # #
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies. The company is redefining the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, digital appliances, network systems, and memory, system LSI, foundry and LED solutions. For the latest news, please visit the Samsung Newsroom at http://news.samsung.com.
# # #
* Samsung first announced its ISOCELL technology in 2013, which reduces color crosstalk between pixels by placing a physical barrier, allowing small-sized pixels to achieve higher color fidelity. Based on this technology, Samsung introduced the industry’s first 1.0um-pixel image sensor in 2015 and a 0.9-pixel sensor in 2017. In June 2018, Samsung introduced an upgraded pixel isolation technology, the ISOCELL Plus.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200915005521/en/
Samsung Semiconductor Europe GmbH
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Spring 2023 Maxon One Release Adds Extraordinary Value29.3.2023 19:00:00 EEST | Press release
Maxon, developers of professional software solutions for editors, filmmakers, motion designers, visual effects artists and creators of all types, announced today a comprehensive update to Maxon One. Maxon’s Spring 2023 release offers exciting new features and workflow enhancements across the entire product line that will empower designers and artists to turn their creative ideas into reality with stunning results. Cinema 4D 2023.2 offers an improved Commander, enhancements to its Nodes system, simulation improvements and a new Thicken generator for modeling. Updates to the Red Giant toolset feature new tools and augmentations; most notably the introduction of Symbol Mapper for Universe 2023.1, anamorphic lens support for Real Lens Flares for VFX 2023.3, and Trapcode 2023.3 includes performance optimizations for Particular and a new collection of Atomic Age sprites. Redshift 3.5.14 brings a fantastic new Sky and Sun Model, a new Flakes Shader and new Camera Backplates. The latest releas
Nasdaq Congratulates Signifier Medical Technologies for Treating 10,000 Patients With eXciteOSA, a Daytime Therapy for Sleep Apnea29.3.2023 18:24:00 EEST | Press release
Signifier Medical Technologies LLC (“Signifier” or the “Company”), a Boston-based medical technology company, announces that eXciteOSA, the only FDA-authorized daytime therapy for sleep-disordered breathing, has treated over 10,000 patients since the commercial launch in 2021. Nasdaq recognized this milestone by congratulating Signifier Medical on the Nasdaq Tower in the heart of Times Square, New York. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230329005432/en/ (Photo: Business Wire) Akhil Tripathi, Signifier’s co-founder and CEO said, “This is a proud moment knowing that our therapy has made a positive impact on the lives of so many patients. It’s been a great team effort among our employees, clinicians, distributors, and most of all, our patients.” Signifier Medical is simplifying the complex standard of care for obstructive sleep apnea with eXciteOSA by tackling a root cause -- empowering patients to restore their ni
Flare gas reduction: Graforce a winner at Petronas Race2Decarbonise for groundbreaking solution29.3.2023 18:00:00 EEST | Press release
Out of more than 500 global solutions, Graforce was recognized at the Petronas Race2Decarbonise with its methane electrolysis technology (plasmalysis) in the category “Gas Flaring Reduction or Elimination.” The competition is aimed at accelerating the development of low-carbon solutions and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230329005084/en/ Gas flaring causes more than 400 million tons of CO2 emissions every year. Graforce’s methane electrolysis technology is a groundbreaking solution that converts flare gas and other hydrocarbons into clean hydrogen and solid carbon. (Photo: Business Wire) Gas flaring results in more than 400 million tons of CO2 emissions every year. Thousands of gas flares at production sites around the globe burn approximately 150 billion cubic meters of natural gas each year, thus wasting a valuable resource. Plasmalysis, on the other hand, converts methane
SRMG launches new venture capital arm, SRMG Ventures, with first investments in regional content studio and immersive platform companies29.3.2023 17:36:00 EEST | Press release
SRMG, a global integrated media group, yesterday announced the launch of its corporate venture capital arm, SRMG Ventures. In line with SRMG’s transformative growth strategy, SRMG Ventures will invest in early-stage companies and technologies within the core target areas: media creators, digital media, media enablers and tools, including generative AI, as well as immersive and interactive entertainment. SRMG Ventures will initially target investments from the seed to Series B stage. SRMG Ventures will enable SRMG to back and empower regional talent and entrepreneurs, acting as a catalyst for further growth of the rapidly evolving media industry in the region. SRMG Ventures will provide SRMG with direct access to innovative technologies, as well as new media talent and content creators, that will continue to enhance SRMG’s own media portfolio and drive forward the future of media. The new corporate venture capital arm will additionally help SRMG penetrate new markets and further diversi
LambdaTest Upgrades its Playwright Automation Testing Experience With the Addition of its AI-Powered Integrated Test Intelligence29.3.2023 17:30:00 EEST | Press release
LambdaTest, an intelligent omnichannel digital experience testing cloud platform, has announced the addition of advanced AI-powered test intelligence features to its Playwright testing cloud offering. With this latest development, LambdaTest will now enable enterprises with deeper insights into their test execution process and help them better streamline their quality assurance process. LambdaTest has been constantly working on enhancing its Playwright automation testing cloud and the test intelligence feature is the latest addition to the list. Over the last quarter, LambdaTest has added features like support for browser extension testing, IP-based Geolocation testing, and Playwright component testing. Customers can soon test on Android real devices using Playwright as well. “Test intelligence is at the core of digital transformation in enterprises. Given Playwright’s increasing usage across the business world, we are excited to provide our customers with a deeper and more intuitive v
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom