World-First Inhaled COVID-19 Vaccine, Developed in Partnership Between Aerogen® and CanSinoBIO, First Public Booster Immunization in China.
Late in 2021, Aerogen® (Galway, Ireland) and CanSinoBIO (SSE: 688185, HKEX: 06185) (Tianjin, China) announced a development and commercial supply partnership for the inhaled delivery of CanSinoBIO’s Recombinant Novel Coronavirus Vaccine Convidecia Air™ utilizing Aerogen’s proprietary aerosol drug delivery technology.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20221113005049/en/
Inhaled vaccine administration (Photo: Business Wire)
In 2022 Convidecia Air™ was granted Emergency Use Authorization as a booster dose by the National Medical Products Administration of China (“NMPA”). On October 25th, Shanghai became the first city to initiate booster vaccination by inhalation for adults aged 18 and above, who have previously been primed with two shots of inactivated vaccines or one shot of Convidecia™.
The aerosolised vaccine is directly inhaled via a cup dispenser into the patient’s airway. This route mimics the natural infection pathway of the respiratory virus COVID-19 and may create additional benefits through generating mucosal immunity.
According to a Phase III clinical trial published in December 2021 in the journal The Lancet, the injected Convidecia™ vaccine was 91.7% effective at preventing severe disease after four weeks or longer following a single administered dose.1
Further clinical trials on delivery by inhalation, published in the Lancet in December 2021 and August 2022, demonstrated the inhaled vaccine Convidecia Air™ as a heterologous booster generated much stronger immune responses than those induced by a homologous inactivated vaccine booster. Convidecia Air™ has proven to be an innovative solution that provides safe and effective protection for people through a needle-free, painless and non-invasive delivery without any serious adverse events observed. 2,3
Inoculation by the inhaled aerosol route requires a considerably smaller volume of vaccine to be used and therefore provides the capacity to allow a much larger number of patients to cost-effectively access the CanSinoBIO vaccine than would have been possible using an injectable approach.4
Further clinical trials of the inhaled vaccine are progressing in Asia and Latin America to support other country approvals for this innovative technology.
John Power, Aerogen CEO & Founder said “T he world has an urgent need for an effective, low-cost, globally scalable, and globally accessible solution to mass vaccination. The pioneering development undertaken by Aerogen and CanSino has resulted in a system that meets all these requirements and with the capacity to vaccinate in the billions. We are delighted with the news of approval and public rollout in China and look forward to further approval of inhaled vaccines around the world.”
Dr. Xuefeng YU, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of CanSinoBIO commented; “We are delighted that our collaborative efforts with Aerogen on the innovative inhaled delivery of COVID-19 vaccine is recognized by the market. This significant breakthrough in vaccination has the potential of blocking transmission through an added layer of mucosal immunity. We look forward to expanding global access to our innovative needleless vaccine to accelerate the pace of bringing society back to life.”
Leo Clancy, CEO, Enterprise Ireland said: “Aerogen has an exceptional track record, delivering game-changing disruptive technology to MedTech and pharma companies throughout the world to optimise and accelerate the development and production of medicines, including vaccines. The innovative technologies pursued by the company continue to push boundaries and transform treatments, in this case with respect to Covid-19, positively impacting the well-being of people worldwide. Today’s announcement is hugely significant and further strengthens Ireland’s position in the global value chain of vaccine development and manufacturing. We look forward to continuing to work with Aerogen as it continues to transform product offering for healthcare through innovation, underpinning the company’s continued growth in world markets.”
CanSinoBIO (SSE: 688185, HKEX: 06185) is a leading biopharmaceutical company committed to research, production, and commercialization of innovative vaccines for global public health security. It possesses five integrated platform technologies including viral vector-based technology, synthetic vaccine technology, protein structure design and recombinant VLP technology, mRNA vaccine technology as well as formulation and delivery technology. As of today, it has established a rich portfolio of pipeline products preventing 12 diseases, including Asia’s innovative vaccine for Ebola virus disease Ad5-EBOV, the Recombinant Novel Coronavirus Vaccine (Adenovirus Type 5 Vector) recognized by the WHO, and our global innovative inhaled COVID-19 vaccine Convidecia AirTM. Additional information can be found online at www.cansinotech.com.
Aerogen is the world leader in acute care aerosol drug delivery. The Aerogen Solo is a closed-system, single-patient-use aerosol drug delivery technology5 that mitigates the transmission of patient-generated infectious aerosol during ventilation6-11. As the only globally available closed-circuit system, Aerogen technology has been used to treat over 16 million patients in 75 countries worldwide, playing a critical role in emergency departments and intensive care units12.
- Halperin SA, Ye L, MacKinnon-Cameron D, Smith B, Cahn PE, Ruiz-Palacios GM, Ikram A, Lanas F, Guerrero ML, Muñoz Navarro SR, Sued O, Lioznov DA, Dzutseva V, Parveen G, Zhu F, Leppan L, Langley JM, Barreto L, Gou J, Zhu T, for the CanSino COVID-19 Global Efficacy Study Group. Final efficacy analysis, interim safety analysis, and immunogenicity of a single dose of recombinant novel coronavirus vaccine (adenovirus type 5 vector) in adults 18 years and older: an international, multicentre, randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial. Lancet 2022 399: 237-248, DOI: doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(21)02753-7
- Li JX, Wu SP, Guo XL, Tang R, Huang BY, Chen XQ, Chen Y, Hou LH, Liu JX, Zhong J, Pan HX, Shi FJ, Xu XY, Li ZP, Zhang XY, Cui LB, Tan WJ, Chen W, Zhu FC. Safety and immunogenicity of heterologous boost immunisation with an orally administered aerosolised Ad5-nCoV after two-dose priming with an inactivated SARS-CoV-2 vaccine in Chinese adults: a randomised, open-label, single-centre trial. Lancet Respir Med 2022, 10: 739-48. doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(22)00087-X
- Wu S, Huang J, Zhang Z, Wu J, Zhang J, Hu H, Zhu T, Zhang J, Luo L, Fan P, Wang B, Chen C, Chen Y, Song X, Wang Y, Si W. Safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of an aerosolised adenovirus type-5 vector-based COVID-19 vaccine (Ad5-nCoV) in adults: preliminary report of an open-label and randomised phase 1 clinical trial. Lancet Infect Dis 2021, 21: 1654-64. doi.org/10.1016/ S1473-3099(21)00396-0
- Heida R, Hinrichs WL, Frijlink HW. Inhaled vaccine delivery in the combat against respiratory viruses: a 2021 overview of recent developments and implications for COVID-19 [published online ahead of print, 2021 Aug 25]. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2021;1-18
- Aerogen Solo System Instruction Manual. Aerogen Ltd. P/N 30-354, Revision U.
- Ari A. Practical strategies for a safe and effective delivery of aerosolized medications to patients with COVID-19. Respir. Med. 2020; 167. doi:10.1016/j.rmed.2020.105987.
- Miller A, Epstein D. Safe bronchodilator treatment in mechanically ventilated COVID19 patients: A single center experience. J. Crit. Care. 2020; 58: 56–57.
- Fink JB, Ehrmann S, Li J, Dailey P, McKiernan P, Darquenne C et al. Reducing Aerosol-Related Risk of Transmission in the Era of COVID-19: An Interim Guidance Endorsed by the International Society of Aerosols in Medicine. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 2020. doi:10.1089/jamp.2020.1615.
- Halpin DMG, Criner GJ, Papi A, Singh D, Anzueto A, Martinez FJ et al. Global Initiative for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease: The 2020 GOLD Science Committee Report on COVID-19 & COPD. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2020. doi:10.1164/rccm.202009-3533SO.
- O’Toole C, McGrath JA, Joyce M, Bennett G, Byrne MA, MacLoughlin R. Fugitive Aerosol Therapy Emissions during Mechanical Ventilation: In Vitro Assessment of the Effect of Tidal Volume and Use of Protective Filters. Aerosol Air Qual Res 2020; 20. doi:10.4209/aaqr.2020.04.0176.
- Joyce M, McGrath JA, Mac Giolla Eain M, O’Sullivan A, Byrne M, MacLoughlin R. Nebuliser Type Influences Both Patient-Derived Bioaerosol Emissions and Ventilation Parameters during Mechanical Ventilation. Pharmaceutics 2021; 13: 199.
- Aerogen internal data on file.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
For further information on Aerogen technology please contact:
D eclan Slemon, email@example.com
For further information about Aerogen in China please contact
D an Han, DHan@aerogen.com
For further information on CanSinoBIO please contact:
J unhong Jing, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Media Alert: Prosimo to Exhibit at the Gartner® IOCS Conference 2022 and Present the Power of Single Architecture for Simplifying Multicloud Networking6.12.2022 19:24:00 EET | Press release
Prosimo, the Application Experience Infrastructure company, is demonstrating (Booth #511) its full-stack solution for simplifying multi-cloud networking at Gartner IT Infrastructure Operations & Cloud Strategies conference, taking place December 6-8th in Las Vegas. The company plans to present a customer case example of the advantages of using a single network infrastructure for its cloud computing services. The Gartner Market Guide for Multicloud Networking Software encourages I&O leaders responsible for cloud and edge infrastructure to “prefer the native capabilities of the cloud providers when starting out, and avoid forklifting data center networking designs and vendors in the public cloud, because this will lead to integration and cost inefficiencies.”1 And to “invest in MCNS when a consistent set of broader, “full-stack” Level 3 through Level 7 networking and network security capabilities (e.g., routing, DNS, CDN, WAF, firewall, and observability) via a single management platform
SonarSource Posts Record Growth with its Clean Code Solution in 20226.12.2022 19:00:00 EET | Press release
SonarSource, the leading provider of Clean Code solution, today announced record growth in developer and enterprise customer adoption. With a 43% growth in its user base, SonarSource supports more than 400,000 organizations and seven million users. The Sonar solution leads the industry with total analyzed code – which now tops more than half a trillion lines of code for organizations across the world. By adding 5,000 paying customers in 11 months, Sonar now supports 21,000 enterprise customers including over 75% of Fortune 100 and nearly half of Fortune 500 companies. Much of this progress transpired on the heels of the Company closing a $412 million funding round, which brought its valuation to $4.7 billion. SonarSource’s massive momentum is driven by the recognition from enterprises everywhere that Clean Code is an organizational imperative for long-term competitiveness and market success. A Rapid Pace of Innovation With a laser focus on empowering developers to deliver Clean Code, S
Fortius Metals Raises Seed Round of $2M from AM Ventures to Bring Advanced Metal 3D Printing to the Aerospace Industry6.12.2022 19:00:00 EET | Press release
Fortius Metals, Inc., an innovative metal 3D printing company, has announced today that it has closed on a priced seed financing round with AM Ventures. The $2M round will be used to scale manufacturing capacity, grow the company and accelerate its go-to-market strategy. Fortius Metals is a large format additive manufacturing company that specializes in advanced materials to help customers develop solutions previously not possible with robotic 3D printing. Fortius Metals’ patented technology will enable welding and 3D wire fabrication using high performance metal alloys to meet the exacting demands of aerospace customers and robotic welding fabricators. AM Ventures, the foremost venture capital firm for the additive manufacturing sector, focuses solely on startups built around industrial-grade 3D printing offerings, including hardware, software, materials, and applications. AM Ventures’ portfolio includes an elite group of 17 companies engaged in 3D printing, out of over 2,400 start-up
Large crowds come together in Sharjah to celebrate the UAE’s 51st National Day6.12.2022 18:02:00 EET | Press release
Sharjah's celebrations of the 51st UAE National Day were concluded which attracted an audience of multiple nationalities, both residents and foreign visitors, over a period of 10 days to participate in a range of activities. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20221206005624/en/ Part of the National Day activities in Sharjah (Photo: AETOSWire) From November 24 to December 3, 2022, Sharjah's cities and major tourist and cultural destinations including Al Majaz Amphitheater, Sharjah National Park, Maliha Public Park, Dibba Al Hisn, Khorfakkan Amphitheater, to Wadi Al Helo and various areas of Kalba, and parks and residential areas in Al Bataeh, various areas of Al Madam, Al Dhaid Fort, to the Heritage Village in Al Hamriyah, hosted celebrations to commemorate the achievements of the nation on the 51st National Day. His Excellency Khaled Jassim Al Midfa, Chairman of Sharjah National Day Celebrations Committee, commende
Ledger Launches Ledger Stax, Designed by Tony Fadell6.12.2022 18:00:00 EET | Press release
Ledger, the world leader in critical digital asset security, has teamed up with Tony Fadell, builder of the iPod1, to bring clarity and confidence to owning digital value. Ledger Stax™ is a usable way for you to take control of cryptocurrency and digital collectibles. It’s built on uncompromisingly secure architecture, and introduces a unique form designed for unprecedented accessibility and interactivity. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20221206005695/en/ Ledger Launches Ledger Stax, Designed by Tony Fadell (Photo: Business Wire) Ledger Stax has a new E Ink2 display, which covers the front and curves around the spine—you can view complete transaction details at a glance. E Ink is always viewable: your favorite art appears on the Ledger Stax screen, even when it is off. It also provides unmatched energy efficiency, so the battery can last for weeks or even months on one battery charge. “With the Ledger Nano™ ser
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom