WorldRemit Identifies Top 20 Migrant Moments of 2020
Today, WorldRemit, a leading cross-border payments company, celebrates International Migrants Day by announcing its list of the top 20 Migrant Moments of 2020. This list features developments which have had significant impacts on communities across the world. From the first COVID-19 vaccine to the US presidential election to SpaceX - each of these milestones have been influenced by migrants from around the world. 2020 marks the 20th anniversary of International Migrants Day and the 30th anniversary since the adoption by the UN General Assembly of the International Convention on the Protection of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families1.
WorldRemit has compiled this list to bring attention to all those who have managed to make a positive difference during this exceptionally challenging year. The company aims to support migrant communities as well as their family and friends every day, whilst celebrating their many successes throughout the year, and for many years to come.
The 2020 list includes:
- COVID-19 Vaccine: German couple of Turkish descent, husband and wife Uğur Şahin and Özlem Türeci, have been credited with the discovery of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine that is being distributed across the globe.
- Senator Kamala Harris: Kamala Harris became vice-president elect following the 2020 US Presidential election. In 2017, she was sworn in as a United States Senator for California, becoming the second African-American woman and first South-Asian American senator in history. Though she was born in Oakland, California, Harris’ parents emigrated to the United States from India and Jamaica.
- Future Stars: WorldRemit and Arsenal Football Club welcomed the winners of the Future Stars competition to London in January. Chinasa Mandy Ukandu of Nigeria and Luis Alejandro Castañeda from Colombia, won an all expenses paid trip to London to take part in a personalized training program with Arsenal Football Club’s Development coaches.
- Zoom boom: Zoom, the videoconferencing platform which has allowed friends, families and colleagues to stay in touch during Covid-19, was founded by Eric Yuan, a Chinese migrant to the United States. At its peak, the firm counted more than 300 million daily participants in virtual meetings, while paying customers have more than tripled.
- Project 8000: WorldRemit was the main sponsor of the Project 8000 programme in Singapore. Project 8000 is a community outreach initiative to give thousands of handwritten ‘thank you’ cards to frontline Covid-19 healthcare workers at the Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) in Singapore, led by student Marion Lee.
- Deliveroo and DoorDash: DoorDash, America’s most popular meal delivery app, was started by a Chinese American migrant, Tony Xu. Meanwhile Deliveroo was co-founded by William Shu, a Taiwanese American entrepreneur. DoorDash has launched a number of initiatives during the pandemic. In October, it launched the Reopen for Delivery campaign, with the stated aim of bringing together brick and mortar restaurants that have closed due to the pandemic.
- Patoranking: WorldRemit signed Patoranking as the Global Brand Ambassador for its Africa-focused WorldRemit Entrepreneurs Program. The WorldRemit Entrepreneurs Program will run simultaneously in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, and Zimbabwe, from November 2020 through to the end of January 2021. WorldRemit customers from around the world are encouraged to send a minimum of £50 (or its equivalent value in their local currency) to recipients in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, or Zimbabwe to win the opportunity to nominate a lucky entrepreneur.
- WorldRemit celebrated Philippine Independence Day by highlighting the many achievements of the Filipino diaspora which included one of the youngest ever recipients of the Royal Bank of Canada’s Top 25 Canadian Immigrant Award.
- Transfer Tracker app: WorldRemit launched The WorldRemit Transfer Tracker mobile app for recipients of money transfers, which allows them to track their remittances. The WorldRemit Transfer Tracker App is now available through the Google app store and is also free to download through the app store in 90 countries in iOS and Android.
- SpaceX Dragon 2: The spacecraft made its first crewed flight to the International Space Station on May 31, 2020 as part of the Commercial Crew Program, enabling American human orbital spaceflight capability for the first time since the Space Shuttle's retirement in 2011.
- Television Commercial: WorldRemit released global television commercials across key markets to promote its transparent pricing strategy and the opportunities created by connecting people through international money transfers.
- NHS workers: Almost 1 in 17 (14%) of the NHS’s 1.28 million staff report a non-British nationality, amounting to approximately 170,000 key workers. India is responsible for the most NHS workers from outside the UK, followed by the Philippines.
- Earlier this year, WorldRemit gave away £400,000 worth of vouchers to NHS workers as a token of appreciation for their service and the sacrifices they are making throughout the pandemic.
- Edward Enninful and Misan Harriman: Edward Enninful is the Editor-In-Chief of British Vogue and an advocate for better representation in the fashion industry. He is the only black editor in history to lead Vogue magazine. Enninful commissioned black photographer Misan Harriman to shoot Vogue’s UK September issue – traditionally the magazine’s most important edition. As well as being one of the most widely-shared photographers of the Black Lives Matter movement, Harriman is the first black person to shoot a cover of British Vogue in the magazine's 104-year history.
- Netflix launches Selena series: Netflix released its biographical drama that follows Selena Quintanilla Lopez’s rise to fame and the sacrifices she and her family make along the way charting her enduring legacy as a Mexican-American icon.
- David Olusoga: David Olusoga is a British-Nigerian historian and writer. In response to the Black Lives Matter movement, Olusoga's Black and British: A Forgotten History was broadcast on the BBC. The documentary was awarded a BAFTA when originally produced in 2016. Olusoga was also named on the 2021 Powerlist.
- Parasite: Parasite, a film written by South Korean native Bong Joon-ho, became the first non-English language film to win the Oscar for Best Picture in the 92-year history of the awards.
- Adewale Adeyemo: Among Biden’s team of top cabinet picks and economic advisers is Nigerian-born Adewale Adeyemo, who served as a senior international economic adviser in the Barack Obama administration. Adeyemo will be the first African to occupy the seat of Deputy Treasury Secretary.
- As part of efforts to create opportunities for those in developing countries, WorldRemit gave away tablets to students in countries including India and Guatemala following the pandemic-related disruption to schooling.
- A 90-year old lady named Margaret Keenan from Coventry, became the first person in the world to receive the Pfizer & BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, which was administered by Filipina nurse May Parsons.
To learn more about WorldRemit, please visit www.worldremit.com.
WorldRemit is a leading global payments company. We disrupted an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players by taking international money transfers online - making them safer, faster and lower-cost. We currently send from 50 to 150 countries, operate in more than 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,200 people globally.
On the sending side WorldRemit is 100% digital (cashless), increasing convenience and enhancing security. For those receiving money, the company offers a wide range of options including bank deposit, cash collection, mobile airtime top-up and mobile money.
Backed by Accel, TCV and Leapfrog – WorldRemit’s headquarters are in London, United Kingdom with regional offices in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, South Africa, Somaliland, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Belgium.
About Business Wire
For more than 50 years, Business Wire has been the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Digital Vault Services GmbH launches its market solution for Digital Guarantees19.1.2021 22:42:00 EET | Press release
Digital Vault Services GmbH (www.digitalvaultservices.com) is pleased today to announce the launch of Guarantee Vault, its solution for digital guarantees which went live on the 18 January 2021. Guarantee Vault is a central register for the issuance and safe keeping of digital guarantees. It gives banks & sureties the possibility to centrally issue and store instruments such as Bank Guarantees, Surety Bonds and Standby Letters of Credit in an electronic form. Sven Matzelsberger, Head of Treasury at Lindner Group KG stated “Guarantee Vault has been a true market collaboration between corporates, sureties and banks. Our shared experiences, collaborative spirit and common vision are at the heart and soul of what Guarantee Vault is. We proudly see this as a true market initiative, one that solves a wide spread common problem and brings efficiencies to all involved.“ Guarantee Vault is the result of a 2 year collaboration with 16 working group partners made up of major corporates, banks and
Johns Manville Announces Katie Albery as New General Counsel19.1.2021 22:00:00 EET | Press release
Johns Manville (JM), a global building and specialty products manufacturer and a Berkshire Hathaway company, announced today Katherine (Katie) Albery has accepted the job of Vice President and General Counsel, effective February 1. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210119005946/en/ Katie Albery, new General Counsel for Johns Manville. (Photo: Business Wire) “Katie is a talented lawyer who will be an outstanding general counsel for Johns Manville,” said Bob Wamboldt, President and CEO. “She has excellent judgment and will bring years of experience supporting different JM businesses and other important projects to her new role. She will be a great addition to our leadership team.” Albery will take over for Cindy Ryan, who announced at the end of 2020 that she plans to retire after 19 years with the company. Ryan will leave her executive role, but will continue to provide counsel to JM on several key initiatives. A
Loomis Sayles Welcomes Marques Benton as Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer19.1.2021 20:04:00 EET | Press release
Loomis, Sayles & Company, an affiliate of Natixis Investment Managers, announced today that Marques Benton has joined Loomis Sayles as chief diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) officer. Marques reports jointly to Kevin Charleston, chief executive officer and president of Loomis Sayles and John Russell, head of human resources and senior counsel. In this new role, Marques is responsible for driving the firm’s DEI strategic plan into action. In partnership with senior management, he will be focused on attracting, developing and retaining diverse talent and engaging with all staff to foster a firmwide culture of inclusion. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210119005734/en/ Marques Benton is the chief diversity, equity & inclusion officer at Loomis, Sayles & Company. (Photo: Business Wire) Marques joins Loomis Sayles from the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, where he was a vice president and chief diversity officer
Maxon Announces the Acquisition of Japanese Distributor Business19.1.2021 18:50:00 EET | Press release
Today, Maxon announced it has completed the transaction to acquire the business segment of its Japanese distributor that services Maxon’s community and business concerns, and the formation of the first official office in Japan: Maxon Computer KK. For the last ten years, Maxon’s Japan Representative office in Tokyo, TMS Corp, has been well-known amongst the Maxon community. The establishment of Maxon Computer KK seeks to deepen this connection and show Maxon’s ongoing commitment to the Japanese market. Maxon have also announced that TMS Corp founder, Manfred Flick, has been appointed as the Regional Director of this new subsidiary. In addition, his entire motivated team will be part of the Maxon family. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210119005758/en/ Establishment of Maxon Computer KK to Strengthen Relationship with the Japanese Market and Provide Direct Support for the Cinema 4D, Red Giant and Redshift Artist
Andersen Global Enters Malawi19.1.2021 17:30:00 EET | Press release
Andersen Global establishes a foothold in the Malawi market through a Collaboration Agreement with Knight & Knight, bolstering its platform on the African continent and adding additional coverage in the eastern region. Established in 2003, Knight & Knight is a full-service law firm specializing in all facets of business law with capabilities in banking and finance, litigation, intellectual property, commercial, real estate, employment, mergers and acquisitions, and regulatory matters. With two partners and six professionals, the firm serves individuals and organizations of various sizes, representing a large number of businesses across the country as well as transactional entities, multinational corporations, banking and financial institutions, public sector undertakings, various ministries, state and central government authorities, and nongovernmental organizations. “At the core of our business, our philosophy has always been to offer best-in-class services designed to meet our client
Pitney Bowes Appoints Ana Maria Chadwick as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer19.1.2021 17:00:00 EET | Press release
Pitney Bowes (NYSE: PBI), a global technology company that provides commerce solutions in the areas of ecommerce, shipping, mailing and financial services, today announced that Ana Maria Chadwick has been appointed Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, effective January 29, 2021. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210119005596/en/ Pitney Bowes Appoints Ana Chadwick as Executive Vice President and CFO (Photo: Business Wire) Ms. Chadwick joins Pitney Bowes from GE Capital where she held several executive positions. Her responsibilities included both operational and financial positions, along with strong transformational and financial services experience. Most recently, Ms. Chadwick was President and CEO of GE Capital Global Legacy Solutions. Previously, she was Controller of GE Capital Americas and Chief Financial Officer at GE Capital Energy Financial Services. Ms. Chadwick also has substantial glo
Globality, the World’s First Smart Sourcing Platform Powered by AI, Raises $138.3 Million of Series E Funding From Sienna Capital, a Wholly Owned Subsidiary of Groupe Bruxelles Lambert, and the SoftBank Vision Fund19.1.2021 16:00:00 EET | Press release
Globality, the leading AI-powered digital solution for sourcing strategic services, announced today it has closed an investment of $138.3 million from Sienna Capital, a wholly owned subsidiary of Groupe Bruxelles Lambert (GBL), and the SoftBank Vision Fund. This new investment brings Globality’s total funding to $310.3 million since being founded five years ago. As part of the investment, Colin Hall, vice-chairman of Sienna Capital, will join the company’s board of directors. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210119005308/en/ Joel Hyatt, Co-Founder, Chairman, and CEO of Globality (Photo: Business Wire) The Series E round of funding enables Globality to fuel its rapid growth by investing in additional AI technology capabilities. It also directly supports the company’s efforts to increase its global scale and capacity; add world-class talent to the engineering, product and client teams; and expand its marketing an
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom